Poll

Do you want this England team to beat Italy in the final?

Yes, I'll be gutted if they don't
33 (8.4%)
Yes, but I won't be all that bothered if they don't
142 (36.3%)
Don't care
42 (10.7%)
No, but it's not the end of the world if they do
63 (16.1%)
No, absolutely not
111 (28.4%)

Total Members Voted: 391

Author Topic: Do You Want England To Win Euro 2020?  (Read 9885 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Do You Want England To Win Euro 2020?
« Reply #200 on: July 9, 2021, 10:09:04 pm »
but there's also a part of me that wants to be surrounded by kids jumping for joy. I'm 100% with the latter.
I'm sincerely glad you're on board Rob. Similarly to Alex's point earlier also, those kids could be on a ride of their life next week, yet the bald miserable men on this site would hate to see them happy :)

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 9, 2021, 10:11:20 pm »
There is no chance of a spontaneous bank holiday, there is too little notice thankfully. Millions of people still need to work on bank holidays and most of these workers dread them

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: July 9, 2021, 10:17:57 pm »
I like Southgate and there are couple of very admirable lads in what is a surprisingly benign group of players. They don't play good enough football to be Euro 96 likeable or the Hoddle 98 team, but a grand group. And to be honest the majority on here your opinions are great, and very relatable as a fan of summer football - hope you enjoy your night at the weekend. Baddiel and Skinner too. No ill will if they win to be honest. Been a helluva tournament on one side of the draw and stars aligned on the other.

On the other hand, I was 13 in Lansdowne Road in 1995, scared shitless and scarred for quite a while after it. My Da nearly stopped going to games after. Not to mention the shite that goes on in the main plaza and to the patio chairs of Europe during tournaments whenever England qualify.  The "no surrender" (still audible on TV at every game btw) gammons. Booing the knee. We'll boo you for taking the knee, we'll boo you for not wearing a poppy. Intimidating fans of other countries. Booing anthems. The media. The band wagon. The ex pros. The Tory party jizzfest. I HATE it all. Hate.

Also it feels like a varient factory super spreader event. The whole covid mismanagement thing always ends up spilling over into Ireland and fucking up my plans for a pint or two.

All of this is as an outsider looking in. I have no right to tell anyone how to feel or express themselves. England is clearly a very complicated country these days. None of you all are part of the bad stuff above probably, but jaysus it's frustrating. I can get behind the Scots, Welsh and Nordies much easier - I know who they are. Can relate.

That's before we mention the heartache of the "B" word.

I find it very hard to square the circle on it. So much of what's gone on around these games and through my own football history has left a bad taste. Sorry.

But I'm into kids getting excited by the game, that's important. I like that this team/coach could be their role models. I'm into the diversity of the team, Rashford, Hendo - solid good fucking men. It'd be nice to think them getting this far has annoyed the far right. Be nice if the perception of Englishness can be wrestled back from the gammons.

But....

I'm 100% in the Italian camp on footballing grounds though. They've been a joy, Chiellini, Bonnuci, Barella - love them all. England's football has been dull as fucking dishwater , worst games of the tournament. Piano carriers with 1 or 2 lads who can play the thing. Football romance always wins. Forza Italia.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:37:03 am by Chip Evans »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: July 9, 2021, 10:27:34 pm »
Very good post that Chip.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 9, 2021, 11:24:11 pm »
Apologies Paul, I know I shouldn't tar an entire fanbase with the same brush, but every time I see #NUFCtakeover trending on Twitter all I see are people crying about why you're not currently the richest club in the world. It's doing nothing for your club's reputation, It's those people I want to have a shite Sunday night.
I hear you mate, trust me I despise them every bit as much as you do.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2021, 12:28:53 am »
I hear you mate, trust me I despise them every bit as much as you do.
You lot deserve a better future, but hopefully it's more like Leicester than Abu Dhabi.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2021, 12:45:56 am »
😂😂 these fucking  threads man. It’s like the canteen in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.   ;D

I love them.  ;D

I've no interest in international football or the England football team and haven't watched a single game in the tournament. I don't believe in nationalism and patriotism either, but these threads are ace.  8) They are compulsive reading for me. Lots of good points made on both sides of the debate too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2021, 02:52:59 am »
I like Southgate and there are couple of very admirable lads in what is a surprisingly benign group of players. They don't play good enough football to be Euro 96 likeable or the Hoddle 98 team, but a grand group. And to be honest the majority on here your opinions are great, and very relatable as a fan of summer football - hope you enjoy your night at the weekend. Baddiel and Skinner too. No ill will if they win to be honest. Been a helluva tournament on one side of the draw and stars aligned on the other.

On the other hand, I was 13 in Lansdowne Road in 1995, scared shitless and scarred for quite a while after it. My Da nearly stopped going to games after. Not to mention the shite that goes on in the main plaza and to the patio chairs of Europe during tournaments whenever England qualify.  The "no surrender" (still audible on TV at every game btw) gammons. Booing the knee. Intimidating fans of other countries. Booing anthems. The media. The band wagon. The ex pros. The Tory party jizzfest. I HATE it all. Hate.

Also it feels like a varient factory super spreader event. The whole covid mismanagement thing always ends up spilling over into Ireland and fucking up my plans for a pint or two.

All of this is as an outsider looking in. I have no right to tell anyone how to feel or express themselves. England is clearly a very complicated country these days. None of you all are part of the bad stuff above probably, but jaysus it's frustrating. I can get behind the Scots, Welsh and Nordies much easier - I know who they are. Can relate.

That's before we mention the heartache of the "B" word.

I find it very hard to square the circle on it. So much of what's gone on around these games and through my own football history has left a bad taste. Sorry.

But I'm into kids getting excited by the game, that's important. I like that this team/coach could be their role models. I'm into the diversity of the team, Rashford, Hendo - solid good fucking men. It'd be nice to think them getting this far has annoyed the far right. Be nice if the perception of Englishness can be wrestled back from the gammons.

But....

I'm 100% in the Italian camp on footballing grounds though. They've been a joy, Chiellini, Bonnuci, Barella - love them all. England's football has been dull as fucking dishwater , worst games of the tournament. Piano carriers with 1 or 2 lads who can play the thing. Football romance always wins. Forza Italia.

Absolutely brilliant post, mate.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2021, 03:25:45 am »
😂😂 these fucking  threads man. It’s like the canteen in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.   ;D
These threads have been as back and forth and as unpredictable as the entire tournament ;D

I hear the kids argument but my son is five and cant speak and my daughter is 3 and it's hard enough to get her to kick a ball let alone watch blokes kick one around on TV.

I think I speak for all the neutrals when I say, as long as football is the winner, we'll all be laughing.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2021, 03:34:27 am »
Well I'll have everyone know that England beat Italy 10-8 tonight in Pick Up and there was Bantz.  ;D

Seriously. So much fun. Even potted a couple and dropped a few right on some toes. Brilliant. come from behind as well.

Super friendly, great laughs. Actually we had two Italians also.

They are slightly nervous but pretty confident. 2-0 Italy they say. Kane sucks so bad. Midfield losers.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2021, 05:15:51 am »
Chip, I would love to know what it was about 96 and 98 that made it so enjoyable for you. Were we a similar age? I'm 34 now, so I was 9 in 1996 and 11 in 1998. I genuinely loved England back then. I remember the 4-1, I think it was Holland game and I celebrated every goal that went in with my Dad who hated footie as a big Wigan Rugby League fan. In 1998 our school went on a trip to the Isle of Wight and they put the game against Argentina on a big screen. When Owen scored I was flying around the room with excitement. Was it because I loved Owen as a youngster as he played for Liverpool or because I was rooting for England? Probably a combination of both if I am honest.

I remember rushing home from singing The Beatles 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' for a performance studies 'exam' AS Level to see Lampard equalise against Portugal in 2004 and being really invested until England ended up losing on penalties in the same game. It felt weird to cheer a Lampard goal, but it was a primal response, I definitely was up for them winning there. I really wanted them to win. I was so gutted they didn't.

In between this, I started going to Liverpool games and I made it out to the Istanbul final and one of my favourite moments of ever supporting this club was the You'll Never Walk Alone at half time in 2005 when it felt like all was lost, but rather than give any shit out to those on the field, as a group we came together and told the players we loved them. You'll never walk alone. Even though you're 3-0 down, in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, we adore you, thank you for taking us this far. I learned a lot about what supporting is that day, as I attempted to try and get a soft drink at half time and realised not one single area was open in our concourse. I ended up falling asleep on the coach back to the airport and woke up there and slept on a curb until eventually our flight was ready to board.

From 2006 I would have been old enough to drink in pubs. That brought a little solidarity as at the end of a season because you could watch games with people you'd actively hated all season and all cheer the same team which was quite a nice touch as I lived far away from Liverpool. I genuinely enjoyed this period and I was still a fairly big fan. I remember my mate turning up and playing the 'It's coming home' song out of his car and everyone joining in. Brilliant. I was well up for it then.

We had other tournaments since that one, a period where Gerrard was captain, apparently he was first named captain in 2004 - which I don't remember at all, but over time my enthusiasm waned and these are my honest reasons.

Firstly, travelling to every away end in the country and hearing the Hillsborough/anti Scouser chants. This is probably the only part of this in which a Scouser can accuse me of trying to 'fit in' by hating England, but it's just one part of it. I'm not sure if bitter is the right word, because most of them that sing that stuff don't usually experience any success so I am not wanting to swap places nor am I envious of their position. I just hate how when we come to town they can't come up with something a little more funny rather than the tired old tropes or 'always the victims'. This is when I am learning from people I go to the match with who are survivors about what actually happened that day at Hillsborough from those who were there and I can't understand how people can sing this sort of stuff with glee in their faces. This is entire home ends I am talking about with the majority singing this stuff, and you don't forget it in a hurry. I remember 2007 when the entire Man United away end in the FA Cup sang "In Sunny Sheffield You Killed You're Own Fans" and staring at them in apoplectic rage.

My life went off the rails in 2010. That year though, we'd sacked Rafa Benitez (I remember sitting in my seat in 304 on the Kop after Forlan/Atletico Madrid long after the game had finished and being really upset) and recruited Roy Hodgson. I won't labour what happened at Liverpool with Roy, but by 2012 Hodgson had somehow managed to make it from Liverpool to England manager. The worst Liverpool manager ever, and a fella I absolutely hated after some of the shit he came out with in charge of Liverpool, taking charge of England in 2012. At the bare minimum I didn't wish the guy any success at all, at the maximum I wanted an England team managed by him to lose every single game.

Lose Hodgson did regardless, but by the end of the 2014 season, I had other reasons for not really wanting to hold hands with the rest of the football supporting public in international tournaments. Liverpool, after an 11 game winning streak came within 3 games of the league title. With three to go Steven Gerrard, still a fully fledged England player, slipped on a pass and let Demba Ba through to score the winner. The entire football supporting country it seemed came together to rejoice this. We had waited 24 years. And it wasn't just funny, it was everything to them. You'd go home and away and all they'd sing about was Gerrard slipping. You'd stick on a game that didn't even involve Liverpool, let alone Everton or Man City, and they'd be singing it. I hated it. These are the other football fans in the country. This is the England support who go week in week out to other games. The genuine 'other' fans we are supposed to be teaming up with in the summer. Not your work colleagues who fancy it because it's a big tournament and the country is coming together, but the full time, actual, other supporters of other clubs, who support England.

2016 comes around. The country votes Brexit on the 23rd June. It's disappointing. It's actually quite depressing. It emboldens the people who wave flags of the United Kingdom or England to be even bigger dickheads and racist pricks. There is a surge of people being open about their hatred for people across Europe, immigrants and even afar who I have spent my time loving through working in hospitality. Lots of them are worried about being sent home and losing the lives they have built for themselves. The hatred in the country continues, the victory is used as an attempt to squash the left wing of the country. With Roy Hodgson in charge I want them to get absolutely battered all over the place. That doesn't quite happen, but they lose to Iceland in the last 16 four days later on the 27th June and Roy Hodgson finally quits after the match while still somehow managing to be an arrogant prick. I enjoy it immensely.

2018 next. Liverpool under Jurgen Klopp defy all expectations and make a European Cup final. Again, the majority of the match going supporters in England hope and pray that Liverpool lose. That eventually happens as Salah is injured by Ramos and we have to listen to a song created by Man City that involves laughing at Sean Cox getting battered before the game against Rome on a plane home. I'm apoplectic that their actual players can even consider joining in with it. We would end up hearing it from all of the usual sorts week in week out for the next season.

Before we'd hear the City chants about Sean Cox throughout the league, there was the world cup in 2018 and England make it into the last 16 vs Columbia and beat them on penalties. They progress vs Sweden 2-0, they end up playing Croatia and take the lead through a Trippier free kick. I don't celebrate when it goes in. Croatia equalise and a spark ignites. Croatia get another which looks like it might be the winner and I celebrate it like a Liverpool goal. Everyone that I've known or seen through supporting Liverpool who is a prick about us, or voting leave and hating Europe will be absolutely fuming at the goal and it's a massive release. I didn't realise I had that in me. I literally knee slide across the floor. Hold that you total pricks.

2019 comes along and the usual suspects are talking about "Man City saving football" as a tight title race goes to the wire. We're one of the best teams you'll ever see play the game and the majority of normal football fans, who will all be supporting England in the Summer, want Liverpool to fall short, because a billionaire boys club winning the league will be preferable and will 'save' the game. We do fall short, everyone enjoys it. I vow never to bother standing with any of them ever again. I don't want anyone to actively support us, but people actively revelling in us falling short makes me want to revel in a team they support falling short.

And here we are.

Are England a better team to support for me now? Probably. Is Southgate a really sound fella who deserves everything that might happen if he wins on Sunday? Yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a fella in footie who deserves a redemption arc like he does. Are the England players a group of progressive lads who I support in what they do? Yes. Are the England players winding up the people I had a lot of ire with when they do their knee? Yes.

But the reign of Hodgson took a lot out of it and it's never recovered for me. Most of the football following country took it out of me. Is all of this actually logical when there are obviously people who are sound? No. But I can't control how I feel, I can only act on how I feel. I love Liverpool FC. I follow them everywhere. I detest and hate all fanbases who bring out the usual tropes when we play them. I don't want to see any of those fans enjoy a moment like they might do on Sunday when their greatest pleasure is watching us fall short. Does that mean I'm missing out a lot of fair minded and likeable people who just fancy supporting England, probably yeah. I feel bad about that, but when Kane taps in the rebound, I feel *nothing*.

Since Hodgson in 2012, since 2016 and Brexit, since Gerrard, since Karius, since Vincent Kompany 'Saving Football', since Hillsborough songs, I just can't rouse myself to celebrate any England goal. Not one. I just don't have it in me to support them. You can disagree with me that's fine. I did care about England once upon a time, I've gone to the trouble of writing about when I loved them and how much I did.

And if you care about them, enjoy it. It might never happen again.

But whatever way the game goes, I'll be looking forward more to pre season with Liverpool than I will whichever way the cup goes on Sunday night.

Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2021, 05:26:37 am »
Mixed feelings kind of. If Hendo scores the winner, yes. If fucking Kane or Sterling score, then no.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2021, 06:34:58 am »
Chip and Hij, great posts. Thanks for sharing fellas. I’m with you that it’s easy to get turned off by England. I haven’t so much as flicked the TV on to see how they are doing in the last 10 years probably. The hooliganism, xenophobia, torys, all the shite described by many in here put it to bed for me probably from around 96 if I think back. This tournament was going to be the same, couldn’t give a shit, but I listened to Southgate talk about taking the knee and I was nodding along with him, I look at the boys playing for England, I feel no hatred or really any dislike. I live abroad now, I love to come home, to see the lovely people I know back home in England,  I don’t know any Hoolies or racists, most folk I know are left centre politically and would do anything for you if they can. My Dad has Parkinson’s, he likes the footy, he says he likes Liverpool cos I do, but he loves England, always has, he has rung me after the England games to talk about it and I’ve loved that. So for me this time, I’ve said to myself, this is my England, me dads, all the good people I know, it’s for them, fuck the twats who have taken international football away from us gradually over the years with their disgusting behaviour, fuck them, the gammons, all the right wing c*nts, there’s loads of twats in England but fuck them. We won’t align with them, ever. So why can’t England be for us? Why do we have to concede to the twats? I decided This time that I don’t have to and will be wishing Southgate and his boys well. Come on England.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:43:32 am by red1977 »

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2021, 08:15:08 am »
Cynic in me wonders has government been in Southgate’s ear

https://news.sky.com/story/euro-2020-gareth-southgate-evokes-wartime-spirit-ahead-of-final-urging-england-fans-to-be-proud-of-an-island-our-size-12352710

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2/OcPRTlSimtn1J5MOS7TRFA/https/media.fyre.co/lBQFK7fXQQqq4Ap5ImVb_090721-telegraph-front-southgate_1625863789_001.png

Having read the article, it's interesting that the Torygraph go with the emphasis on the sodding war, whilst leaving his comments on inclusion and diversity for further down the article.

Chip and Hij, great posts. Thanks for sharing fellas. I’m with you that it’s easy to get turned off by England. I haven’t so much as flicked the TV on to see how they are doing in the last 10 years probably. The hooliganism, xenophobia, torys, all the shite described by many in here put it to bed for me probably from around 96 if I think back. This tournament was going to be the same, couldn’t give a shit, but I listened to Southgate talk about taking the knee and I was nodding along with him, I look at the boys playing for England, I feel no hatred or really any dislike. I live abroad now, I love to come home, to see the lovely people I know back home in England,  I don’t know any Hoolies or racists, most folk I know are left centre politically and would do anything for you if they can. My Dad has Parkinson’s, he likes the footy, he says he likes Liverpool cos I do, but he loves England, always has, he has rung me after the England games to talk about it and I’ve loved that. So for me this time, I’ve said to myself, this is my England, me dads, all the good people I know, it’s for them, fuck the twats who have taken international football away from us gradually over the years with their disgusting behaviour, fuck them, the gammons, all the right wing c*nts, there’s loads of twats in England but fuck them. We won’t align with them, ever. So why can’t England be for us? Why do we have to concede to the twats? I decided This time that I don’t have to and will be wishing Southgate and his boys well. Come on England.

Exactly, it's not just the racists country. Its all of ours, as much as we despair of it at times.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:17:46 am by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2021, 08:21:09 am »
I hope WE win to stick it to THEM over Brexit

- Tonio. Ciao, bella!

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2021, 09:36:05 am »
do you want Ireland to win when they play football or rugby?

No. I've zero interest in International Football or Rugby.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2021, 09:38:11 am »
If you lived through the Hillsborough years..the abuse Scousers/Liverpool fans received across England..the demonisation of Liverpool by Thatcher and lapped up by ' fellow working class across England' ...the mocking of Scousers as theives etc
..never mind my personal and citys heritage...Scottish and Irish etc
.....and I haven't even started on Football...

To answer the question.

Forza Italia!

This.

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2021, 09:47:34 am »
If England win I will be gutted for Trent especially to have missed out on it all after being so close.
Me too.  :'(

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2021, 10:11:52 am »
If you lived through the Hillsborough years..the abuse Scousers/Liverpool fans received across England..the demonisation of Liverpool by Thatcher and lapped up by ' fellow working class across England' ...the mocking of Scousers as theives etc
..never mind my personal and citys heritage...Scottish and Irish etc
.....and I haven't even started on Football...

A very concise part of what a lot feel besides even going into many other points.

Snip

A great post and much longer version of what a lot of us tried to sum up briefly but haven’t been really arsed to do and I could swap myself for so much of that also. Very similar experiences and I imagine the same for so many other reds.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2021, 10:15:57 am »
These threads have been as back and forth and as unpredictable as the entire tournament ;D

I hear the kids argument but my son is five and cant speak and my daughter is 3 and it's hard enough to get her to kick a ball let alone watch blokes kick one around on TV.

I think I speak for all the neutrals when I say, as long as football is the winner, we'll all be laughing.

Absolutely. The missus is watching, so I'm getting into the spirit of it (a bit) - ale, curry, karaoke, bit of an entertainment day and watch the bull from the buildup.

Bought her a few flags and shite to hang up and a 'Come on England' hat :D

All I'm hoping for is that it's a good game with plenty of goals and drama and no dickhead fans embarrasing us all again and no cheating from the players.

What am I saying? No cheating.

England and Italy. No cheating

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Well. Let's hope for an entertaining game then :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2021, 10:24:06 am »
Great posts by Chip and Hij. I won't be supporting England mainly because I'm a petty twat. There was a picture of a training session last week and the six players in it were Kane, Maguire and Pickford at the front and Walker, Calvert-Lewin and Sterling behind them. I don't want any of those arseholes lifting a trophy thanks.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2021, 10:29:25 am »
Great posts by Chip and Hij. I won't be supporting England mainly because I'm a petty twat. There was a picture of a training session last week and the six players in it were Kane, Maguire and Pickford at the front and Walker, Calvert-Lewin and Sterling behind them. I don't want any of those arseholes lifting a trophy thanks.
Thank you, there are just way too many pricks I despise in that team. So I say fuck each one of them alphabetically and randomly.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2021, 10:44:44 am »
The calls of xenophobia and racism are pretty much valid in regards to England and some of the fans who follow them, but it becomes a bit sketchy when the alternative is a Spain or Italy which is far far less progressive than England when it comes to issues of race relations and etc, I mean all three nations have a storied history of Racism Xenophobia and even Fascism, but you just have to look at the composition of the squads to see England probably not by design have had to deal with issues of race more pertinently than the other nations.

Italy and Spain don’t have a windrush generation and neither do they have a side which consists of the likes of Walker Sterling Sancho Saka Rashford Sancho Bellingham Philips Trippier Mings and etc, also for many of us who are ethnic minorities, for as bad as England can be, it pales in significance to the outright racism and xenophobia you’ll face in these other countries.

I actually don’t mind England losing, but I’m not going to frame my argument for wanting them to lose around some of the topics some have bought up on here, when the alternative is Italy.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2021, 10:49:23 am »
I'm sincerely glad you're on board Rob. Similarly to Alex's point earlier also, those kids could be on a ride of their life next week, yet the bald miserable men on this site would hate to see them happy :)

Hold on!, who said that? Thats bollocks, no one has said kids shouldnt enjoy them themselves. Thats just you projecting and trying to demean anyone by calling them old bald men.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2021, 11:07:14 am »
Hold on!, who said that? Thats bollocks, no one has said kids shouldnt enjoy them themselves. Thats just you projecting and trying to demean anyone by calling them old bald men.
Which is a bit rich, since I have more hair than he does....... ;D

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2021, 11:08:07 am »
Chip, I would love to know what it was about 96 and 98 that made it so enjoyable for you. Were we a similar age? I'm 34 now, so I was 9 in 1996 and 11 in 1998. I genuinely loved England back then. I remember the 4-1, I think it was Holland game and I celebrated every goal that went in with my Dad who hated footie as a big Wigan Rugby League fan. In 1998 our school went on a trip to the Isle of Wight and they put the game against Argentina on a big screen. When Owen scored I was flying around the room with excitement. Was it because I loved Owen as a youngster as he played for Liverpool or because I was rooting for England? Probably a combination of both if I am honest.

I remember rushing home from singing The Beatles 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' for a performance studies 'exam' AS Level to see Lampard equalise against Portugal in 2004 and being really invested until England ended up losing on penalties in the same game. It felt weird to cheer a Lampard goal, but it was a primal response, I definitely was up for them winning there. I really wanted them to win. I was so gutted they didn't.

In between this, I started going to Liverpool games and I made it out to the Istanbul final and one of my favourite moments of ever supporting this club was the You'll Never Walk Alone at half time in 2005 when it felt like all was lost, but rather than give any shit out to those on the field, as a group we came together and told the players we loved them. You'll never walk alone. Even though you're 3-0 down, in the middle of bum fuck nowhere, we adore you, thank you for taking us this far. I learned a lot about what supporting is that day, as I attempted to try and get a soft drink at half time and realised not one single area was open in our concourse. I ended up falling asleep on the coach back to the airport and woke up there and slept on a curb until eventually our flight was ready to board.

From 2006 I would have been old enough to drink in pubs. That brought a little solidarity as at the end of a season because you could watch games with people you'd actively hated all season and all cheer the same team which was quite a nice touch as I lived far away from Liverpool. I genuinely enjoyed this period and I was still a fairly big fan. I remember my mate turning up and playing the 'It's coming home' song out of his car and everyone joining in. Brilliant. I was well up for it then.

We had other tournaments since that one, a period where Gerrard was captain, apparently he was first named captain in 2004 - which I don't remember at all, but over time my enthusiasm waned and these are my honest reasons.

Firstly, travelling to every away end in the country and hearing the Hillsborough/anti Scouser chants. This is probably the only part of this in which a Scouser can accuse me of trying to 'fit in' by hating England, but it's just one part of it. I'm not sure if bitter is the right word, because most of them that sing that stuff don't usually experience any success so I am not wanting to swap places nor am I envious of their position. I just hate how when we come to town they can't come up with something a little more funny rather than the tired old tropes or 'always the victims'. This is when I am learning from people I go to the match with who are survivors about what actually happened that day at Hillsborough from those who were there and I can't understand how people can sing this sort of stuff with glee in their faces. This is entire home ends I am talking about with the majority singing this stuff, and you don't forget it in a hurry. I remember 2007 when the entire Man United away end in the FA Cup sang "In Sunny Sheffield You Killed You're Own Fans" and staring at them in apoplectic rage.

My life went off the rails in 2010. That year though, we'd sacked Rafa Benitez (I remember sitting in my seat in 304 on the Kop after Forlan/Atletico Madrid long after the game had finished and being really upset) and recruited Roy Hodgson. I won't labour what happened at Liverpool with Roy, but by 2012 Hodgson had somehow managed to make it from Liverpool to England manager. The worst Liverpool manager ever, and a fella I absolutely hated after some of the shit he came out with in charge of Liverpool, taking charge of England in 2012. At the bare minimum I didn't wish the guy any success at all, at the maximum I wanted an England team managed by him to lose every single game.

Lose Hodgson did regardless, but by the end of the 2014 season, I had other reasons for not really wanting to hold hands with the rest of the football supporting public in international tournaments. Liverpool, after an 11 game winning streak came within 3 games of the league title. With three to go Steven Gerrard, still a fully fledged England player, slipped on a pass and let Demba Ba through to score the winner. The entire football supporting country it seemed came together to rejoice this. We had waited 24 years. And it wasn't just funny, it was everything to them. You'd go home and away and all they'd sing about was Gerrard slipping. You'd stick on a game that didn't even involve Liverpool, let alone Everton or Man City, and they'd be singing it. I hated it. These are the other football fans in the country. This is the England support who go week in week out to other games. The genuine 'other' fans we are supposed to be teaming up with in the summer. Not your work colleagues who fancy it because it's a big tournament and the country is coming together, but the full time, actual, other supporters of other clubs, who support England.

2016 comes around. The country votes Brexit on the 23rd June. It's disappointing. It's actually quite depressing. It emboldens the people who wave flags of the United Kingdom or England to be even bigger dickheads and racist pricks. There is a surge of people being open about their hatred for people across Europe, immigrants and even afar who I have spent my time loving through working in hospitality. Lots of them are worried about being sent home and losing the lives they have built for themselves. The hatred in the country continues, the victory is used as an attempt to squash the left wing of the country. With Roy Hodgson in charge I want them to get absolutely battered all over the place. That doesn't quite happen, but they lose to Iceland in the last 16 four days later on the 27th June and Roy Hodgson finally quits after the match while still somehow managing to be an arrogant prick. I enjoy it immensely.

2018 next. Liverpool under Jurgen Klopp defy all expectations and make a European Cup final. Again, the majority of the match going supporters in England hope and pray that Liverpool lose. That eventually happens as Salah is injured by Ramos and we have to listen to a song created by Man City that involves laughing at Sean Cox getting battered before the game against Rome on a plane home. I'm apoplectic that their actual players can even consider joining in with it. We would end up hearing it from all of the usual sorts week in week out for the next season.

Before we'd hear the City chants about Sean Cox throughout the league, there was the world cup in 2018 and England make it into the last 16 vs Columbia and beat them on penalties. They progress vs Sweden 2-0, they end up playing Croatia and take the lead through a Trippier free kick. I don't celebrate when it goes in. Croatia equalise and a spark ignites. Croatia get another which looks like it might be the winner and I celebrate it like a Liverpool goal. Everyone that I've known or seen through supporting Liverpool who is a prick about us, or voting leave and hating Europe will be absolutely fuming at the goal and it's a massive release. I didn't realise I had that in me. I literally knee slide across the floor. Hold that you total pricks.

2019 comes along and the usual suspects are talking about "Man City saving football" as a tight title race goes to the wire. We're one of the best teams you'll ever see play the game and the majority of normal football fans, who will all be supporting England in the Summer, want Liverpool to fall short, because a billionaire boys club winning the league will be preferable and will 'save' the game. We do fall short, everyone enjoys it. I vow never to bother standing with any of them ever again. I don't want anyone to actively support us, but people actively revelling in us falling short makes me want to revel in a team they support falling short.

And here we are.

Are England a better team to support for me now? Probably. Is Southgate a really sound fella who deserves everything that might happen if he wins on Sunday? Yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a fella in footie who deserves a redemption arc like he does. Are the England players a group of progressive lads who I support in what they do? Yes. Are the England players winding up the people I had a lot of ire with when they do their knee? Yes.

But the reign of Hodgson took a lot out of it and it's never recovered for me. Most of the football following country took it out of me. Is all of this actually logical when there are obviously people who are sound? No. But I can't control how I feel, I can only act on how I feel. I love Liverpool FC. I follow them everywhere. I detest and hate all fanbases who bring out the usual tropes when we play them. I don't want to see any of those fans enjoy a moment like they might do on Sunday when their greatest pleasure is watching us fall short. Does that mean I'm missing out a lot of fair minded and likeable people who just fancy supporting England, probably yeah. I feel bad about that, but when Kane taps in the rebound, I feel *nothing*.

Since Hodgson in 2012, since 2016 and Brexit, since Gerrard, since Karius, since Vincent Kompany 'Saving Football', since Hillsborough songs, I just can't rouse myself to celebrate any England goal. Not one. I just don't have it in me to support them. You can disagree with me that's fine. I did care about England once upon a time, I've gone to the trouble of writing about when I loved them and how much I did.

And if you care about them, enjoy it. It might never happen again.

But whatever way the game goes, I'll be looking forward more to pre season with Liverpool than I will whichever way the cup goes on Sunday night.

Hij, one of the best posts I've read on here pal.

Fuck England, backwards racist tory brexit anti scouse cuntland that it is.

I'm glad you put it so much more eloquently.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2021, 11:12:16 am »
Proud of my head of hair mate, it's a bit fucking wild at the minute also :)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2021, 11:14:08 am »

It always comes down to hair.  Bastards!!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2021, 11:15:32 am »
Proud of my head of hair mate, it's a bit fucking wild at the minute also :)

My hair is wild and plentiful too..... but not necessarily on my head

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2021, 11:16:17 am »
So many mentions of Brexit in this discussion, personally I can't see where the connection is between the England football team and a referendum that took place 4 years ago to determine whether the UK left the European Union or not.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2021, 11:51:34 am »
My hair is wild and plentiful too..... but not necessarily on my head
;D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2021, 01:51:28 pm »
The guillotine came down on the other thread just as it fell on my neck - and this post. It's a response to Timbo and Viva Bobby Graham really. It doesn't really attempt to answer the question in this thread (I do, myself), but is part of what I thought was an interesting conversation in the old one. (Apologies to anyone who thought the corpse was better buried!)

I'm not sure you're quite getting the issue here Paul lad. It's not about recrimination for those supporting England. We understand entirely why many do. Rather, it's about feeling dismayed and slighted by a clear lack of empathy and understanding amongst our fellow Liverpudlians who think England is the fucking bizz as to why so many of their "fellow" local Liverpudlians have come over time to feel alienated from their country and their national team. It's actually bloody sad when you think about it that so many born and bred in a country feel so little if anything for it and its national sports teams but it's what has happened in the case of so many native Liverpudlians.

I've enjoyed this thread because there has been some genuine debate conducted with honesty and occasional grace between people with different perspectives. Posters have actually marshalled arguments rather than abused each other which is how it should be.  But, I've got to say Timbo mate, that I think you and Viva Bobby are opening up a breach between us that doesn't really exist. I don't mean on whether or not we should support England on Sunday (that breach is massive and entertainingly so!) I mean a breach between those who 'get' the city of Liverpool and those who don't. It's possible after all to want England to win tomorrow and still fully understand why many scousers - though clearly not all - don't.  This is especially so since both your and VBG's posts have been chock-full of lucid explanation.

Let me say again I 'get' it.

Earlier in the thread when I was exchanging thoughts with the Doc (Beaker) I actually gave your side of the argument some more power to its elbow by pointing out that in Arthur Hopcraft's brilliant Football Man , published in 1968, he makes a specific point of how many Liverpool football fans might have been supporting West Germany in the 1966 final had they been able to get tickets for Wembley. Hopcraft sort of applauds this. I mentioned this because it seems to me that the Thatcher argument gets wheeled out too much to explain scouser feelings of "alienation" from the nation, and all its pomp and ceremony (including England's footy team). You and Viva may disagree with what I'm about to say, but I offer it in a spirit of solidarity and assure you I'm not taking a dig at Liverpool - a place I love and defend, even though it's never been my home.

Thatcher first. Practically everyone who is sentient knows what the Tory government did to Merseyside. Years afterwards after Liverpool had begun an economic and cultural recovery (with some help from Whitehall it must be said) it was still a shock to learn from unclassified cabinet records how Geoffrey Howe had suggested a "managed decline" for the city in the 1980s. Think about that. The Chancellor of the Exchequer wanted to slowly strangulate one of the greatest cities in the country. Indeed one of the great world cities. That is contempt. Vicious contempt. So, absolutely, I can see why many on Merseyside think the policies and the plans of the Thatcher years warrant their own sense of 'fuck you' when it comes to supporting anything associated with the flag.

But here's the thing. Some towns and regions didn't suffer 'managed decline' under Thatcher, or the prospect of 'managed decline' which was what Howe was talking about. They suffered total destruction. I'm thinking primarily of the coal districts. Their industries weren't just run down, they were taken away. And with it any reason for existence that the villages and towns around those pits might have had. Go to areas of County Durham and Northumberland or south Yorkshire and Derbyshire (plus Wales and Scotland obviously) and you will see total desolation. Mass unemployment, an ageing population (where are the young?), and a drugs problem that beggars belief. Liverpool looks like Monte Carlo by comparison.

I don't say this in a spirit of competition ('look who bled worse'), but as a reminder that Thatcher had an appalling effect on large swathes of industrial England, especially in the North. Liverpool wasn't alone. You're gonna hate this next bit and I've toyed with whether I should say it. But here goes.

I was very active in the political struggle to save the pits. Two of my cousins worked in the industry, one as a collier, one as a trainee mining engineer. Like many thousands of others I helped picket power stations, collected food, and shook tins for the miners. It could be a happy experience doing this, it could be a demoralising one - a lot depended where you were. University towns were great. But the worst experience I had - by some measure - was shaking tins outside Wembley stadium for the Liverpool v Everton Charity shield game in the summer of 1984. Everyone knew it might be hard to raise a lot of money there. This was the period of the 'Giro Cup Finals' after all. Most folk were broke themselves. But it was the abuse that was so demoralising. I can still see one bloke, obviously tanked up, and in red I'm afraid, yelling in my girlfriend's face "Support the Miners? Yeah, I support them. On the end of a fucking rope." Behind him were his jeering mates. It was a minority of course, and no more representative of the city of Liverpool than the Football Lads Alliance are of England fans this weekend. But it's not something you forget in a hurry. There didn't seem to be much solidarity present that afternoon.

Why do I mention this? I suppose it's because I dislike the false impression that's sometimes left that only Liverpool suffered in the 1980s and only Merseyside has a folk memory of what was done to English/British communities in the name of monetarism.

The difference today between the political scene in Liverpool and that existing in the former coal-mining areas is amazing of course. Liverpool stands proudly red - as solid a Labour area as you could wish to see - whereas the old coalfields, like the former textile districts, have become part of a crumbling 'Red Wall'. I'm not in my home town this weekend, but I can also bet that St George's flags are everywhere - although flown as much by folk with Punjabi backgrounds as by those with long and ancient Yorkshire ancestries. Again, this is NOT the Football Lads Alliance we're seeing writ large. My own town, Huddersfield, is still Labour and has been continuously since 1945 but it makes me sick, of course, to see how many other towns in the area are now flirting with Johnson. The contrast with Liverpool, which will NOT forget the 1980s, is amazing. And obviously this reflects creditably on your city.

But this is why I mentioned Arthur Hopcraft's great book. He suggests, and I think he's right, that Liverpool's alienation from the national culture is a very old thing. You have to look way beyond Thatcher to find its sources. My own view, and both you and VBG will probably disagree with this, is that the alienation isn't even political. Liverpool, after all, wasn't even Labour until the mid-1950s and the city made little contribution to the labour and socialist movement as it emerged in Britain in the 1880s up to 1914. The cradle of the Labour party and the TUC lies elsewhere - in the West Riding, East Lancs, the North East, South Wales, Clydeside and London. These were the areas, not Liverpool, that nurtured and developed socialism in Britain. Even between the wars, and during the great depression, I think I'm right in saying that the city only ever returned one Labour MP to Westminster. Bradford, Durham, Sheffield, east and south London etc were red, red, red.

Great strikes happened on Merseyside of course, like the 1911 Transport Strike, but little permanent organisation was left in the Liverpool docks. It was a constant complaint of union organisers that Merseyside dockers were the quickest in the land to strike, but the slowest to pay their union dues. Hence trade union organisation was so fragmentary in Liverpool for many years. (VBG's NUR/ASLEF family ties are something different, but even there Liverpool was not a 'railway town' in the way that Crewe, York, Derby, Swindon were railway towns and the railway unions didn't dominate and colour the local political scene).

So if I'm right and Liverpool's alienation isn't primarily political, what then is it? You guys have already supplied the answer I think. It must be the fact that the city was exceptional, for so long, in being a migrant town. Most seafaring ports are, but Liverpool was especially so. In particular there is Ireland. (Remember the Republic of Ireland played its first international matches after 1945 at....Goodison Park). The gravitational pull westwards to Ireland (and through that to America) meant Liverpool was always semi-detached from the rest of the country. It was poorly integrated into the economics, the politics (including the labour movement) and the culture of Great Britain. It always did its own thing and preferred to look outwards to the world. That hasn't changed, and I wouldn't expect it to change - at least for another 200 years. That gravitational pull is clearly enormous - and as pervasive and 'unnoticeable' as gravity always is.

But why the fuck you'll be supporting Italy, fuck only knows.  ;D Especially you Timbo with your granddaughter's hands wrapped round an England sweepstake ticket!

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2021, 02:04:27 pm »
I went to euro 80 in Italy - the Italians were great - the England fans were not - mainly Chelsea West Ham & Leeds knobheads - since then I’ve had little interest in England - however having seen the joy a lot of young uns are getting out of this I hope they win - however I am struggling with the image of brave sir Harry Kane in a Bobby Moore style pose with the trophy

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2021, 02:08:39 pm »
I went to euro 80 in Italy - the Italians were great - the England fans were not - mainly Chelsea West Ham & Leeds knobheads - since then I’ve had little interest in England - however having seen the joy a lot of young uns are getting out of this I hope they win - however I am struggling with the image of brave sir Harry Kane in a Bobby Moore style pose with the trophy

Kane to get sent off (second yellow for diving?), Hendo to get the winner and lift the trophy. More palatable?!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2021, 02:09:01 pm »
So many mentions of Brexit in this discussion, personally I can't see where the connection is between the England football team and a referendum that took place 4 years ago to determine whether the UK left the European Union or not.

It has absolutely no connection, neither is there any link with the Tories. It's a football team and has nothing to do with politics yet some people want to bring in all sorts of unrelated shite.
#JFT97

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2021, 02:12:24 pm »

It is not a main reason for me at all, but for some Europeans settled here that a know very well and their husbands/wives, Brexit was a massive kick in the teeth from a country they have settled in and otherwise would support. Getting told you are not welcome (even if we know that was not the reason for lots) is something that will be hard to forget for them. I know some since who have cried on many occasions just with talking about it because of the sense of rejection.

Anyway I digressed a bit. As I say for me it’s not a big factor but it doesn’t help.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2021, 12:20:23 am »
The guillotine came down on the other thread just as it fell on my neck - and this post. It's a response to Timbo and Viva Bobby Graham really. It doesn't really attempt to answer the question in this thread (I do, myself), but is part of what I thought was an interesting conversation in the old one. (Apologies to anyone who thought the corpse was better buried!)

I've enjoyed this thread because there has been some genuine debate conducted with honesty and occasional grace between people with different perspectives. Posters have actually marshalled arguments rather than abused each other which is how it should be.  But, I've got to say Timbo mate, that I think you and Viva Bobby are opening up a breach between us that doesn't really exist. I don't mean on whether or not we should support England on Sunday (that breach is massive and entertainingly so!) I mean a breach between those who 'get' the city of Liverpool and those who don't. It's possible after all to want England to win tomorrow and still fully understand why many scousers - though clearly not all - don't.  This is especially so since both your and VBG's posts have been chock-full of lucid explanation.

Let me say again I 'get' it.

Earlier in the thread when I was exchanging thoughts with the Doc (Beaker) I actually gave your side of the argument some more power to its elbow by pointing out that in Arthur Hopcraft's brilliant Football Man , published in 1968, he makes a specific point of how many Liverpool football fans might have been supporting West Germany in the 1966 final had they been able to get tickets for Wembley. Hopcraft sort of applauds this. I mentioned this because it seems to me that the Thatcher argument gets wheeled out too much to explain scouser feelings of "alienation" from the nation, and all its pomp and ceremony (including England's footy team). You and Viva may disagree with what I'm about to say, but I offer it in a spirit of solidarity and assure you I'm not taking a dig at Liverpool - a place I love and defend, even though it's never been my home.

Thatcher first. Practically everyone who is sentient knows what the Tory government did to Merseyside. Years afterwards after Liverpool had begun an economic and cultural recovery (with some help from Whitehall it must be said) it was still a shock to learn from unclassified cabinet records how Geoffrey Howe had suggested a "managed decline" for the city in the 1980s. Think about that. The Chancellor of the Exchequer wanted to slowly strangulate one of the greatest cities in the country. Indeed one of the great world cities. That is contempt. Vicious contempt. So, absolutely, I can see why many on Merseyside think the policies and the plans of the Thatcher years warrant their own sense of 'fuck you' when it comes to supporting anything associated with the flag.

But here's the thing. Some towns and regions didn't suffer 'managed decline' under Thatcher, or the prospect of 'managed decline' which was what Howe was talking about. They suffered total destruction. I'm thinking primarily of the coal districts. Their industries weren't just run down, they were taken away. And with it any reason for existence that the villages and towns around those pits might have had. Go to areas of County Durham and Northumberland or south Yorkshire and Derbyshire (plus Wales and Scotland obviously) and you will see total desolation. Mass unemployment, an ageing population (where are the young?), and a drugs problem that beggars belief. Liverpool looks like Monte Carlo by comparison.

I don't say this in a spirit of competition ('look who bled worse'), but as a reminder that Thatcher had an appalling effect on large swathes of industrial England, especially in the North. Liverpool wasn't alone. You're gonna hate this next bit and I've toyed with whether I should say it. But here goes.

I was very active in the political struggle to save the pits. Two of my cousins worked in the industry, one as a collier, one as a trainee mining engineer. Like many thousands of others I helped picket power stations, collected food, and shook tins for the miners. It could be a happy experience doing this, it could be a demoralising one - a lot depended where you were. University towns were great. But the worst experience I had - by some measure - was shaking tins outside Wembley stadium for the Liverpool v Everton Charity shield game in the summer of 1984. Everyone knew it might be hard to raise a lot of money there. This was the period of the 'Giro Cup Finals' after all. Most folk were broke themselves. But it was the abuse that was so demoralising. I can still see one bloke, obviously tanked up, and in red I'm afraid, yelling in my girlfriend's face "Support the Miners? Yeah, I support them. On the end of a fucking rope." Behind him were his jeering mates. It was a minority of course, and no more representative of the city of Liverpool than the Football Lads Alliance are of England fans this weekend. But it's not something you forget in a hurry. There didn't seem to be much solidarity present that afternoon.

Why do I mention this? I suppose it's because I dislike the false impression that's sometimes left that only Liverpool suffered in the 1980s and only Merseyside has a folk memory of what was done to English/British communities in the name of monetarism.

The difference today between the political scene in Liverpool and that existing in the former coal-mining areas is amazing of course. Liverpool stands proudly red - as solid a Labour area as you could wish to see - whereas the old coalfields, like the former textile districts, have become part of a crumbling 'Red Wall'. I'm not in my home town this weekend, but I can also bet that St George's flags are everywhere - although flown as much by folk with Punjabi backgrounds as by those with long and ancient Yorkshire ancestries. Again, this is NOT the Football Lads Alliance we're seeing writ large. My own town, Huddersfield, is still Labour and has been continuously since 1945 but it makes me sick, of course, to see how many other towns in the area are now flirting with Johnson. The contrast with Liverpool, which will NOT forget the 1980s, is amazing. And obviously this reflects creditably on your city.

But this is why I mentioned Arthur Hopcraft's great book. He suggests, and I think he's right, that Liverpool's alienation from the national culture is a very old thing. You have to look way beyond Thatcher to find its sources. My own view, and both you and VBG will probably disagree with this, is that the alienation isn't even political. Liverpool, after all, wasn't even Labour until the mid-1950s and the city made little contribution to the labour and socialist movement as it emerged in Britain in the 1880s up to 1914. The cradle of the Labour party and the TUC lies elsewhere - in the West Riding, East Lancs, the North East, South Wales, Clydeside and London. These were the areas, not Liverpool, that nurtured and developed socialism in Britain. Even between the wars, and during the great depression, I think I'm right in saying that the city only ever returned one Labour MP to Westminster. Bradford, Durham, Sheffield, east and south London etc were red, red, red.

Great strikes happened on Merseyside of course, like the 1911 Transport Strike, but little permanent organisation was left in the Liverpool docks. It was a constant complaint of union organisers that Merseyside dockers were the quickest in the land to strike, but the slowest to pay their union dues. Hence trade union organisation was so fragmentary in Liverpool for many years. (VBG's NUR/ASLEF family ties are something different, but even there Liverpool was not a 'railway town' in the way that Crewe, York, Derby, Swindon were railway towns and the railway unions didn't dominate and colour the local political scene).

So if I'm right and Liverpool's alienation isn't primarily political, what then is it? You guys have already supplied the answer I think. It must be the fact that the city was exceptional, for so long, in being a migrant town. Most seafaring ports are, but Liverpool was especially so. In particular there is Ireland. (Remember the Republic of Ireland played its first international matches after 1945 at....Goodison Park). The gravitational pull westwards to Ireland (and through that to America) meant Liverpool was always semi-detached from the rest of the country. It was poorly integrated into the economics, the politics (including the labour movement) and the culture of Great Britain. It always did its own thing and preferred to look outwards to the world. That hasn't changed, and I wouldn't expect it to change - at least for another 200 years. That gravitational pull is clearly enormous - and as pervasive and 'unnoticeable' as gravity always is.

But why the fuck you'll be supporting Italy, fuck only knows.  ;D Especially you Timbo with your granddaughter's hands wrapped round an England sweepstake ticket!

Thanks for your post, Yorky. I have to say, having been down parts of this road with you before, I was confident you’d pipe up at some point. In fact, my only surprise was you took so long! Your post has some merit and I applaud you for the construction of it.

However, as I remember from last time, you are sometimes economical with ‘facts’, whilst being generous in conjecture and your true feelings as a Yorkshireman. You are a very proud Yorkshireman, that is clear. I have some experience of this phenomenon. My most beautiful 2nd wife and partner for the last 20 years’ father was a Yorkshireman and originally from Huddersfield to boot. I say, originally, as he ran away to sea at the age of 15 - signed up in Liverpool - and rarely went back save for family gatherings. He settled in London, made a good living for himself and his posh wife, who he eloped to Gretna Green with say no more, as an industrial window cleaner, an enterprising business he then sold and retired on the money. Canny fellah.

He never took to me, thought his only daughter, who he adored, deserved better. He was probably right. He also never forgave Bill Shankly for leaving his beloved Town and moving to that ‘shit’ole’ where he had embarked and returned from many journey’s that took him around the world. Funny story relayed to me by my wife. He was from Irish catholic stock was Keith. But he would never admit it even with the surname Connolly. On a rare visit home, he was regaling everybody in one room about his pride of being from true Yorkshire stock while next door his aunties, uncles and mother would be kissing the blarney stone with accents thicker than Mrs Brown.

I digress. I do want to take issue with you on several points that I hope you will receive in the same spirit of solidarity as you gave them.  As someone who purports to ‘get’ the City, I am sure you will understand the reasons why.

I've enjoyed this thread because there has been some genuine debate conducted with honesty and occasional grace between people with different perspectives. Posters have actually marshalled arguments rather than abused each other which is how it should be.  But, I've got to say Timbo mate, that I think you and Viva Bobby are opening up a breach between us that doesn't really exist. I don't mean on whether or not we should support England on Sunday (that breach is massive and entertainingly so!) I mean a breach between those who 'get' the city of Liverpool and those who don't. It's possible after all to want England to win tomorrow and still fully understand why many scousers - though clearly not all - don't.  This is especially so since both your and VBG's posts have been chock-full of lucid explanation

Not sure I’d use such a dramatic term as ‘a breach’. I’ve never ridiculed anyone for supporting England. I do believe you should want to respect the City and the people of it should you choose to support a team from outside of your own community; a team like Liverpool that is different from anywhere else, sorry Yorky, that includes the Town. That’s just manners isn’t it? The only breach is one you are trying to make by highlighting that not all scousers want England to lose tomorrow. Scousers aren’t sheep. They make their own minds up, mate. There’s also a difference between wanting England to lose and not being arsed. As you said in one of your posts, there are many ways to look at the game.

I am well aware of the devastation carried out further afield by Thatcher and her English henchmen, the law and the police. The mineworkers and their communities were broken beyond repair by Thatcher. I read somewhere that Nottinghamshire mining towns and villages had made some recovery and wondered why that was as you did not include them on your list of total desolation. BTW, Liverpool knocks spots off Monte Carlo as a City anyway! You are correct in that it is not a competition. I can’t speak for those people, many more able, like your good self, can and do. Some were broken by it, others, like our City would not be cowed by the English establishments boot. In fact, it only made us stronger. That, surely, can be no bad thing?

You're gonna hate this next bit and I've toyed with whether I should say it. But here goes.

It's bang out of order you were abused like that. Scousers are renowned for their generosity both of spirit and cash for those less well off than them. I do remember there was some animosity toward the miners stretching back years particularly from dockers who had felt let down by their mining comrades during dock strikes in the 70’s whilst they had refused to unload ‘foreign’ coal during the miners strikes of 69 and 72. Still, no excuse for the abuse, even from pissed up dickheads. However, as I said to you in our last discussion, some of the comments from the good people of Sheffield after Hillsborough were shocking and demoralising, yet understandable given the police manipulation of the ‘truth’. You took umbrage over it but even today, Sheffield and whole swathes of this Country still believe those lies to be true. No smoke without fire and all that.

This is where I do take issue with you. Now, it is clear you are an authority in this area but I would need hard evidence rather than the conjecture you use before I believe any of this to be true. Trade unionism and solidarity amongst workers was at its strongest in this City. Militant, reactionary and aggressive. That has always been the way here. Not paying their dues? I won’t hear of it. Regarding Liverpool not being a railway town, again, that’s just not right. Edge Hill was a huge expanse of sidings and rolling stock, bigger than Crewe. And as for the NUR/ ASLEF not dominating and colouring the political scene; ask your mining friends how solid the NUR and ASLEF support was during the miners strikes. I know the local dockers could always rely on their support. No guards, no signalmen and no drivers meant fuck all moved by rail without their say so.

This, I feel, is the crux of the matter and your need to respond as you have. It takes me back to my opening thoughts on being a Yorkshireman. A proud Yorkshireman.  I ‘get it’ too, about you, mate. I don’t think either I or Timbo ever claimed scousers and Liverpool had the monopoly on suffering. It was brought up in the context of supporting England or not. Timbo, as always, articulated it well and succinctly. He’s a great writer, as are you. His alienation started with Thatcher, so that’s where his narrative began. My association with the Country of my birth was never there and that was not solely because of my Irish ancestry which was 4th generation by then. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I, like many other scousers always looked seaward rather than inward for my influences, culturally and spiritually. I have nothing against England, I just do not feel English. British? Maybe, the non English bit of it. European? Yes. Scouse? Deffo. Unlike my father in law, God rest his soul, who didn’t think much of me, I had a sneaking admiration for his true ‘Yorkshireman’ tip. ‘I say what I like and I like what I say’…or something like that. Stubborn, belligerent and so fucking opinionated…but I just liked him. Miss him even though he drove me to distraction with his Yorkshire rhetoric, (he threw me out of his car once cos I said Clive Lloyd (Lancashire) was a better cricket captain than Raymond Illingworth (Yorkshire) That’s it, mate. All the best.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same