Author Topic: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021  (Read 38737 times)

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
« Reply #400 on: April 2, 2021, 08:34:49 am »
The interesting change to the CL is the proposal for two wildcards based on previous performance.

We’d be all but guaranteed CL football each year, along with other European giants. Shit season? No drama, you’re in anyway.

Not quite sure that sits too well. It’s a sport at the end of the day still.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: April 2, 2021, 08:55:22 am »
The interesting change to the CL is the proposal for two wildcards based on previous performance.

We’d be all but guaranteed CL football each year, along with other European giants. Shit season? No drama, you’re in anyway.

Yeah, while it might work to our benefit, I think it's a bad idea and very much against the sporting principles of the game.

Also have to admit I wouldn't want to see it benefit our rivals  ;)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: April 2, 2021, 09:22:37 am »

To be honest, I am in favour of the wildcard concept. As we have seen this season, the bad luck with the injuries can affect any club's season. It would be a travesty if we are not in the CL next season, when we will have a team that will be realistically good enough to win the competition ...

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #403 on: April 2, 2021, 04:41:52 pm »

You still have to qualify for Europe, either the League or Conference, which means 7th place for the PL.  Granted that should be a given but as we're seeing now you never know.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: April 2, 2021, 04:46:42 pm »
I remember that season Leicester were in the CL in 16-17, the English contingent was Arsenal, Leicester, City and Spurs and the tv figures dropped to the lowest for the CL.

Us and United should always be in this competition no matter if we don't qualify through the League starting in 2024.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #405 on: April 3, 2021, 12:41:26 am »
The champions league is all about money, let's face it most teams want to qualify for it because of that reason. Nobody is interested in the Europa, the FA cup or the LC because the reward is so thin and doing well in the PL well, let's face it, once the title is decided it is all about top 4 and relegation (ie the money)

Do you watch Brighton v Burnley? Probably not, it's the elite English league but does not pull in viewers, do you watch Krasnovar v Rennes?, again, probably not although it's the elite european competition group stage. A lot of people won't watch those games and, aside from watching your own club (Real Madrid have 36.5m twitter followers, Krasnovar 225k) you may be pulled in by games like PSG v Barca at the most. If no one watches then the advertising revenue goes down. If the revenue goes down, the whole thing collapses.

It has nothing to do with football these days, football chose to dine at the devil's table, the devil does not work with ethics and principles.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #406 on: April 5, 2021, 12:03:24 pm »
I remember that season Leicester were in the CL in 16-17, the English contingent was Arsenal, Leicester, City and Spurs and the tv figures dropped to the lowest for the CL.

Us and United should always be in this competition no matter if we don't qualify through the League starting in 2024.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Nobody should be just in it based on past successes or how much money they can make. It renders the sport fucking pointless.

There is a lot of things wrong with the current format, even though I am in favour of keeping it. Leagues like the German/Italian ones shouldn't get 4 automatic spots while champions in Holland/Scotland etc have to go through multiple qualifiers. The idea of France getting 4 certain places in it is even funnier when you consider how bad their teams are in Europe. There's a few more things that don't sit right with me but nothing about the new look idea from 2024 is good, it fucking stinks really. Ultimately, I echo that point from wenlock on the previous page, it isn't really about winning anymore, it's enough to just be there.

Ah well, whatever makes the CEO's happy at Juve, Bayern etc. They'll just be allowed to go through with it without opposition and continue to shit on the game.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #407 on: April 5, 2021, 03:28:07 pm »
I couldn't disagree with this more. Nobody should be just in it based on past successes or how much money they can make. It renders the sport fucking pointless.

There is a lot of things wrong with the current format, even though I am in favour of keeping it. Leagues like the German/Italian ones shouldn't get 4 automatic spots while champions in Holland/Scotland etc have to go through multiple qualifiers. The idea of France getting 4 certain places in it is even funnier when you consider how bad their teams are in Europe. There's a few more things that don't sit right with me but nothing about the new look idea from 2024 is good, it fucking stinks really. Ultimately, I echo that point from wenlock on the previous page, it isn't really about winning anymore, it's enough to just be there.

Ah well, whatever makes the CEO's happy at Juve, Bayern etc. They'll just be allowed to go through with it without opposition and continue to shit on the game.

Completely agree. This sounds wrong on just about every level.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GY5RcSf0scU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GY5RcSf0scU</a>

I honestly hope this backfires, and Shakhtar and Salzburg get the two wildcards when they miss out on their domestic titles.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #408 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:14 pm »

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1383803049647345668

^ 'UEFA, the English Football Association, the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), LaLiga, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have today released a statement.'

Read it in full here:-

www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-12121411400e-7897186e699a-1000--statement-by-uefa-the-english-football-association-the-premier- '

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #409 on: April 18, 2021, 04:38:04 pm »

David Conn his the nail on the head with his take on the above announcement - especially re the Premier League's part...

'Valid as the criticism is of the ‘cynical, self-interested’ Superleague breakaway, it’s jarring coming from the Premier League, whose clubs did exactly that to the Football League in 1992, starting the money grab.'

^ https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1383805428706856969
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #410 on: April 18, 2021, 04:46:27 pm »
David Conn has his head screwed on the right way about a lot of things.

Not keen on this at all. Against that, clubs, the national leagues, UEFA, and governments have all been very happy to look the other way to the binfire they've turned football into when it's been convenient. So I'll read the proposals with a little less prejudice than I perhaps should.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: April 18, 2021, 04:53:54 pm »
For the premier league to make a statement against the proposed super league is hypocrisy of the highest order.  I’m undecided on it. I do believe that clubs such as us and Utd should get the lions share of the PL tv money ,as let’s face it, without us and Utd the PL wouldn’t be half as popular around the world.  I wouldn’t like it to be at the expense of us playing in the English league tho.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2021, 04:59:38 pm »

'European Super League plans set to be announced - six English teams involved, Sky News understands':-

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12279493/european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-six-english-teams-involved-sky-news-understands

'Six English teams are expected to be part of plans for a breakaway European Super League, with an announcement due on Sunday night, Sky News understands.

Among the English clubs involved are Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.'

^ Not the most reliable of sources - but does state there'll be an announcement due tonight... (hopefully not whilst Line Of Duty is on - mother of god...)

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2021, 05:05:59 pm »

Interesting about 16-17 season but don’t think teams should have a guarantee just because of viewers.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #414 on: April 18, 2021, 05:07:48 pm »
The critics of this announcement are right that it’s essentially about greed (though it’s also about the relationship with the governing bodies too).

But FIFA, Uefa, the Premier League, the players, the agents and of course most (but not all) of the owners are guilty of greed too. Neymar to PSG was purely about money, and started a trend.

American owners are interested in success, but let’s not kid ourselves they’re sentimental about the clubs or the supporters - there’s plenty of recent evidence to the contrary.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:09:43 pm by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: April 18, 2021, 05:09:00 pm »
'European Super League plans set to be announced - six English teams involved, Sky News understands':-

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12279493/european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-six-english-teams-involved-sky-news-understands

'Six English teams are expected to be part of plans for a breakaway European Super League, with an announcement due on Sunday night, Sky News understands.

Among the English clubs involved are Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.'

^ Not the most reliable of sources - but does state there'll be an announcement due tonight... (hopefully not whilst Line Of Duty is on - mother of god...)

Sky news just reported a joint statement has been released by governing bodies that clubs participating will be banned from playing in any other competitions.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #416 on: April 18, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
Maybe worth sticking to one thread about this?  there’s the one in the Liverpool forum that’s getting more replies and interaction. Be worth sticking the links form here in that maybe?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #417 on: April 18, 2021, 05:38:01 pm »
The two clubs who didn’t support this?

PSG, their chairman is of course on the UEFA executive board and his country awarded the World Cup

And Bayern? Their chairman is Hoeness, a man who has spent some time in prison for tax evasion
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #418 on: April 18, 2021, 05:44:32 pm »
Saw this in the other thread ...

"Umm let me see, would I rather watch top level football every week or have to endure the likes of small clubs like Everton and West Ham kick lumps out of our lads with zero consequences every other week?
Yeah tough one that."

To which I'll say ... Sergio Ramos says hi.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: April 18, 2021, 05:45:43 pm »
Shame the other thread got locked, not immediately decrying it as evil, I was quite interested in reading various opinions about it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: April 18, 2021, 05:49:23 pm »
Just so ironic the Premier League/UEFA concerned about the sanctity of the game

The mainstream cabal are very concerned about this new cabal
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2021, 05:50:42 pm »
People hate change. This is obviously a money grab that has accelerated what would have happened later down the line if it wasn’t for COVID.

But it could go either way though. Could be great for football or bad for football. It’s like the “NBA-sation” of football. Interesting to see how it goes only time will tell.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2021, 05:51:44 pm »
Not long till we have Super league games in America, for an even more extortionate price.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2021, 05:53:13 pm »
COVID has no doubt helped to drive and accelerate this with no income from fans in stadiums etc. 

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 18, 2021, 05:55:05 pm »
At least we need to have a real discussion about this. I can’t say anything yet because I don’t know any details. A salary cap like they have in some American leagues wouldn’t be a bad thing, for instance.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: April 18, 2021, 05:55:40 pm »
Like I have said on many ocassions, the ESL will happen, for the same reasons the PL happened in 1992. We might like it or not, but it is inevitable ...

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #427 on: April 18, 2021, 05:56:33 pm »
At least we need to have a real discussion about this. I can’t say anything yet because I don’t know any details. A salary cap like they have in some American leagues wouldn’t be a bad thing, for instance.

It works in other sports like NFL

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #428 on: April 18, 2021, 05:56:34 pm »
Saw this in the other thread ...

"Umm let me see, would I rather watch top level football every week or have to endure the likes of small clubs like Everton and West Ham kick lumps out of our lads with zero consequences every other week?
Yeah tough one that."

To which I'll say ... Sergio Ramos says hi.

This always makes me laugh, and fucking LOADS of people on Rawk say it. What fucking games have you been watching over the past few years? The referees in Europe are also dogshit (they probably apply the actual rules of the game *minimally* better) and every league across the continent is rife with corruption of sorts.

I was just reading something there about how in this super league FLORENTINO FUCKING PEREZ would be the president. Yeah lads, I'm sure the playing field will be completely level.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #429 on: April 18, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »
Hearing the PL talk about “spirit of competition” is laughable to be honest.  This is the same organization that has done nothing about FFP abusers and refuses to address the utter incompetence of the referees employed to officiate their games.

Spirit of competition my arse.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:59:57 pm by exiledintheUSA »
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2021, 05:59:11 pm »
The two clubs who didn’t support this?

PSG, their chairman is of course on the UEFA executive board and his country awarded the World Cup

And Bayern? Their chairman is Hoeness, a man who has spent some time in prison for tax evasion

I was about to ask how come PSG have a chairman sitting on UEFA's executive board?  ::)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #431 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:01 pm »
Hearing the PL talk about “spirit of competition” is laughable to be honest.  This is the same organization that has done nothing about FFF abusers and refuses to address the utter incompetence of the referees employed to officiate their games.

Say nothing of doing exactly the same thing to the old Football League when the PL was founded.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:08 pm »
The clubs have all the power. Who watches the CL and PL if they kick out the big clubs haha. Let’s be honest no one would give a fuck.

The PL/UEFA are fucked either way, all bluff from them and a chess play from the club owners. Either they give the bigger clubs a bigger piece of the pie or the clubs fuck off and kill the rest of the teams. Imo the PL has gotten stale over the years anyway and would’ve continued to do so. If this fails perhaps basketball becomes the number one sport in Europe though!

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #433 on: April 18, 2021, 06:01:57 pm »
Not long till we have Super league games in America, for an even more extortionate price.

There will be no governing body and the owners of the franchises will make the rules. So the clubs in theory could relocate to where ever they want.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #434 on: April 18, 2021, 06:02:00 pm »
The funny thing is seeing the reaction of fans of clubs not on the list.

Their clubs are only against it because they aren’t in it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2021, 06:02:45 pm »
If this fails perhaps basketball becomes the number one sport in Europe though!

Worst shout of the day :P
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2021, 06:02:59 pm »
There will be no governing body and the owners of the franchises will make the rules. So the clubs in theory could relocate to where ever they want.

Wow.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: April 18, 2021, 06:03:41 pm »
You think about it,  ever since the group stage format,  all it's ever been is trying to give the perceived big / high reputation clubs the best shot at getting in and staying in.  To the point they have it in their heads to make it into a rule now as a founder member.

The european cup's best ever format was the unseeded two legged tie imo.   Hell it was great when we won the Uefa cup under Ged in 01 too. Unseeded two legged ties till final,  no Var. Rediscover the soul haha.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #438 on: April 18, 2021, 06:03:52 pm »
If this fails perhaps basketball becomes the number one sport in Europe though!

Kill me now
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: April 18, 2021, 06:04:04 pm »
Hearing the PL talk about “spirit of competition” is laughable to be honest.  This is the same organization that has done nothing about FFP abusers and refuses to address the utter incompetence of the referees employed to officiate their games.

To be fair the way PL money is divided is far better than other European league’s. And teams can get relegated also!