Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 632225 times)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7320 on: June 23, 2022, 11:27:41 pm »
Spoiler
My biggest problem with it was the cameos. Wanda just kills them all so it makes the whole scene pointless filler - especially as the book Strange gets hold of at the end is damaged/destroyed. It's like Kylo Ren destroying the Sith Wayfinder that's taken half of The Rise of Skywalker for them to find.

Would have been better to leave them out of the trailer altogether and just surprise the audience with them as they don't really serve a function.
[close]

Spoiler
i totally see where you're coming from there, the whole thing was pointless, no further story development just a 20 minute fan service type thing of no meaning - that's part of the problem of the multiverse, 1. heroes can now die (we've had a couple before but you know what i mean), which some see as a positive cos usually you dont fear losing those you care about cos they're the main guy 2. you dont care about those heroes dying cos it's some part of the multiverse that we're not going back to etc etc so who gives a shit. the multiverse is much messier than a looming thanos as your nemesis, the writers are gonna have to earn their money here big time and so far, well, looks a big ask
[close]
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7321 on: June 23, 2022, 11:39:40 pm »
The Eternals encompassed everything that i hate about superhero films. God like powers of the cast, faceless villains and in this case those examples of huge monsters or gods or whatever the hell they are.

It should be scrubbed from the record.

ah, you've hit the nail on the head, how did i not see this coming

bobby from dallas stumbles out of the shower and says it's all a dream and we go back to comic spiderman power levels

but yeah, power levels are always a problem once you hit superman and beyond, it's one of the reasons Batman is so popular and he's cool as fuck while obviously flawed all helps (and that bleeds into the type of villians he faces off against)

i think marvel did an overall good job with the villian looming being thanos and how they dealt with him

but the territory they've ventured into now...

i dont know how the comics deal with it cos it's a very long time ago i bought my last conan comic (and waaaay back then it was graphic novels really, tho that term had never been used and it was still a comic in being just an actual comic in paper quality etc, just they were physically big and long - fucking loved them, best ever, wish i still had them, the artwork and stories were amazing)

even if you put the physical effects to one side, even taking into account people have had to deal with mega shit with the snap etc, a fucking spaceman bigger than the planet peering in and yet in none of these movies/tv shows 'after' that event it hasn't been mentioned - people on earth would be losing their shit, it would come up in conversations continually, the ramifications are boundless, yet not a mention?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:54:37 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7322 on: June 24, 2022, 08:45:39 am »
Don't forget the people of Earth would have also watched the sky & stars travel back to how they looked thousands of years again from Moonknight.

If i had to guess, i would say everything we are watching now is happening at the same time

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7323 on: June 24, 2022, 09:48:59 am »
Dr Strange

Spoiler
If you didn't enjoy all those arrogant, self-appointed, douche superheros getting ripped to shreds by Wanda then I don't understand what you watch these films for. It was great fun and worked really well in establishing just how powerful Wanda is.
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7324 on: June 24, 2022, 09:51:42 am »
Dr Strange

Spoiler
If you didn't enjoy all those arrogant, self-appointed, douche superheros getting ripped to shreds by Wanda then I don't understand what you watch these films for. It was great fun and worked really well in establishing just how powerful Wanda is.
[close]

That was easily the best thing in the film, for me.

It reminded me of Omni-Man in Invincible. What a show that is by the way.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #7325 on: June 24, 2022, 09:55:08 am »
Dr Strange

Spoiler
[close]
Still be happy to see more of Hayley Attwell as Capt America
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7326 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:03 am »
Still be happy to see more of Hayley Attwell as Capt America Britain

;)

I didn't watch Eternals, but it seems they fell into the Dragonball Z hole. The stronger your heroes, the more powerful the villains have to be in order to pose a threat. It gets silly after awhile. Some of these characters are so powerful they could accidentally wipe out a galaxy with a badly timed fart.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7327 on: June 24, 2022, 12:15:03 pm »
So many leaked scenes on YouTube for Thor L&T. Looks really good, a very strong comedy again

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7328 on: June 24, 2022, 12:16:57 pm »
;)

I didn't watch Eternals, but it seems they fell into the Dragonball Z hole. The stronger your heroes, the more powerful the villains have to be in order to pose a threat. It gets silly after awhile. Some of these characters are so powerful they could accidentally wipe out a galaxy with a badly timed fart.

Dont even mind the heroes being really strong, but the ones in Eternals were just generic shite. Its just not something that lends itself to being a good movie. Magneto is powerful as fuck but he's got a good back story, the Eternals were all just sort of created at the same time.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7329 on: June 24, 2022, 02:43:36 pm »
;)

Technically I think she's called Captain Carter, at least in the recent movie/show stuff.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7330 on: June 24, 2022, 05:47:27 pm »
Technically I think she's called Captain Carter, at least in the recent movie/show stuff.

Yep. Although there is/was also a Marvel character called Captain Britain, Brian Braddock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Britain

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7331 on: June 24, 2022, 08:03:03 pm »
Yep. Although there is/was also a Marvel character called Captain Britain, Brian Braddock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Britain

I've still got all my original Captain Britain comics from 1976. Got a free cardboard mask with issue 1 I think. There was also a great cover of Captain Britain, Captain America and James Callaghan tied up to wooden posts in a firing squad.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:06:08 pm by Nitramdorf »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7332 on: June 24, 2022, 11:05:42 pm »
You know that you're an old bastard when your comics had "IN FULL COLOUR" on the FP  :lmao
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7333 on: June 24, 2022, 11:19:47 pm »
You know that you're an old bastard when your comics had "IN FULL COLOUR" on the FP  :lmao

:)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7334 on: June 26, 2022, 11:13:29 am »
Initial impressions of Thor: Love and Thunder are painting it as the best Marvel movie ever. Probably a bit of exaggeration going on but it's sounding like Taika has hit it out of the park again.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7335 on: June 26, 2022, 11:35:47 am »
Initial impressions of Thor: Love and Thunder are painting it as the best Marvel movie ever. Probably a bit of exaggeration going on but it's sounding like Taika has hit it out of the park again.

The previews look great across the board.

I watched Dr. Strange again on Disney+ and it's as bad as before.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7336 on: June 27, 2022, 12:30:07 pm »
The previews look great across the board.

I watched Dr. Strange again on Disney+ and it's as bad as before.

Yep, watched a second time around this weekend and disliked it more than the first time. Wanda really carried that film

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7337 on: June 27, 2022, 04:42:33 pm »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7338 on: June 28, 2022, 10:02:59 am »
Really enjoyed the new Strange.  There were a bunch of things that didn't really make all that much sense, but it was a really nice break from the norm in that it was an actual horror movie (baby's first horror movie, but a horror movie nonetheless).  Thought Olsen was excellent and it was great to see all those little Raimi beats.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #7339 on: June 28, 2022, 10:15:44 am »
Love all the Thor movies, can't wait for this one. Love the trailer with Sweet Child O' Mine

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7340 on: June 30, 2022, 09:19:10 am »
Cannot get into Ms Marvel at all, its really dull. I actually like the main character and enjoy the culture involved as well as the subtle educating on history of India/Pakistan but every other character is awful and the story line is worse than Falcon & Winter Soldier IMO (and that was pretty bad)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7341 on: June 30, 2022, 09:23:27 am »
First couple of episodes were great and had a real unique style and feel to them but the last two have reverted back to the usual, formulaic, tried and tested stuff we've seen in most Marvel stuff. I really didn't have a clue what was going on in this weeks. new characters getting thrown at us out of nowhere, exposition in every other line of dialogue. Bit of a mess.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7342 on: June 30, 2022, 02:07:15 pm »
I admire the effort, they seemed to be aiming for 'Into the Spiderverse' vibes in what i seen of the first episode.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7343 on: July 5, 2022, 03:30:07 pm »
Just heard that the first cut of  Love and Thunder was 4 hours long with a lot of inprov jokes almost Monty Python like.

And it was cut down to 2 hours so I guess we will soon get release the Waititi cut.

Thor: Love and Thunder is one of the MCU's shortest films up to date, however, Taika Waititi and Chris Hemsworth recently confirmed the existence of a discarded 4-hour-long cut of the movie that took jokes to next level,

https://gamerant.com/thor-love-and-thunder-4-hour-cut-extra-funny/

« Last Edit: July 5, 2022, 03:33:17 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7344 on: July 7, 2022, 11:49:11 am »
Seeing quite a few mixed reviews for Thor 4 today. One of the biggest issues being Thor himself being even more moronic than previously. I'm going on Sunday to watch.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7345 on: July 7, 2022, 01:32:34 pm »
Seeing quite a few mixed reviews for Thor 4 today. One of the biggest issues being Thor himself being even more moronic than previously. I'm going on Sunday to watch.

I don't mind the idea of that, the character of Thor is great especially since Odin died.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7346 on: July 8, 2022, 04:38:04 am »
Saw Thor yesterday, thought it was enjoyable enough, just missing a little something.

Spoiler
Would have liked if they spent more time showing us Jane as Mighty Thor before Thor shows up. Kind of my main problem with the film, there's these interesting little elements or tidbits about the world or certain characters that I wish they'd explore more, but it's like nope we need to keep moving, on to the next thing, and oh.. what's that over there? Nope keep moving.

Bale is serviceable, just hamming it up. Felt like Russel Crowe wasn't playing Zeus as Greek, but rather Greek-Australian. Wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Thought the casting reveal in the mid-credits scene was hilarious.

Biggest takeaway for me was seeing an ice cream shop named Infinity Cones, with a big Infinity Gauntlet above the shop. In universe, that is fucking weird.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7347 on: July 8, 2022, 09:08:38 am »
Spoiler
Mixed bag for me. Was a decent diversion for a couple hours, but nowhere near as strong as Ragnarok. Just didn't get the balance right IMO, treats Thor as too much of a comedy character so the serious stuff doesn't land so well.

Did really enjoy the scene in the shadow realm in black and white, highlight of the film for sure. Bale was certainly having a laugh throughout, toed the line between absolute shite and menacing for me, but watchable for sure. Valkyrie and Jane Foster were probably the strongest characters, shame Valkyrie didn't get more to do. Guardians were totally wasted too, not much more than a cameo - which is fine - but didn't really make an impact in the time they had. Surprised one of the post credits wasn't setting up Guardians 3 actually, since that's out in less than a year.

Brett Goldstein as Hercules at the end made me chuckle.
[close]

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7348 on: July 9, 2022, 09:23:15 am »
First couple of episodes were great and had a real unique style and feel to them but the last two have reverted back to the usual, formulaic, tried and tested stuff we've seen in most Marvel stuff. I really didn't have a clue what was going on in this weeks. new characters getting thrown at us out of nowhere, exposition in every other line of dialogue. Bit of a mess.

i had a similar take, very different style and feel as you say, main character is kind of endearing, likeable, i was like ok let's see where this goes

so having set up a new character, it then all falls to shit with rushing plotlines and characters, lazy writing, cutting corners and the worst villians ever maybe?

Spoiler
most aren't developed at all, but that's fine cos we're gonna kill them off in quick fashion cos they're fucking shit at fighting. the big bad is suitably callous and ruthless, so much so she discards her own son as her one true focus is to go home and just when that is a realisation, one word from ms marvel about her son, and she kills herself.... uh WHAT!? the only character of any gravitas and actually very good (i thought finally, someone of genuine interest), was the leader of the red daggers and they fucking killed him off asap - this shit is laughable. so i assume the big bad has now switched to the gov agency tracking kamram and, i dont know, who cares at this point?

and that one facet of the show - the bad guys - that is a total mess being poorly thoughtout and written, is replicated in process through the many other facets of the show that are just so poor. so what are we left with? the main character - she has her charm in being very likeable as a good natured individual and that's it, i can't see what else this show has. And that alone wont carry a show.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 9, 2022, 09:30:42 am by Armand9 »

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7349 on: July 9, 2022, 03:49:55 pm »
The new Thor film was tonally all over the place and the jokes didn't really make up for it. It's definitely among the lowest quality films in the MCU, found it significantly poorer than the new Dr Strange film, which was arguably panned unfairly in comparison.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7350 on: July 9, 2022, 04:15:40 pm »
Phase 4 has been a bit of a dud hasn’t it?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7351 on: July 9, 2022, 09:45:32 pm »
The new Thor film was tonally all over the place and the jokes didn't really make up for it. It's definitely among the lowest quality films in the MCU, found it significantly poorer than the new Dr Strange film, which was arguably panned unfairly in comparison.

When I heard that it was almost a forced attempt to make it a comedy - I was afraid of this.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7352 on: July 9, 2022, 10:20:32 pm »
Phase 4 has been a bit of a dud hasn’t it?

Is that every film since the final Avengers?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7353 on: July 9, 2022, 10:57:29 pm »
Is that every film since the final Avengers?

Besides NWH everything has been a bit shite since Endgame hasn’t it?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7354 on: July 10, 2022, 09:46:10 am »
Thought it was pretty good, wasn’t shit by any stretch. But yeah they’ve lost the magic since Endgame, trying to introduce too many average characters to replace ones like Cap, Ironman and Black Widow. Also find it weird Wakiti saying he left about three hours of it on the editing room floor when
Spoiler
they spent so long with those stupid screaming goats, which was funny the first time and then immediately not the next 37 times
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7355 on: July 10, 2022, 12:39:20 pm »
i'd say hit and miss in general, with more miss

WandaVision - after early okish episodes, overall decent
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - total miss for me, the fact the two main characters do nothing for me contribute to my take, granted
Loki - major hit, very good - best of phase 4 so far?
Black Widow - first half of the movie was fine, then went to shit (tho sister is a good character), miss
What If...? - hit and miss episodes, maybe two good ones?
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - liked it a lot, good for me
Eternals - has its moments but overall poor - classic too many new characters and some dumb writing
Hawkeye - a good new character but sub par, again the main character does nothing for me, so was unlikely to get stoked about it
Spider-Man: No Way Home - initially thought it was real poor but on reflection was ok
Moon Knight - good, different and soundly done
Doctor Strange 2 - overall good, i liked it and a good new character, to boot
Ms Marvel - one episode left, confident this is gonna be a miss tho the central character has her charm
Thor 4 - haven't seen it

two things standout to me in that list

firstly, when i think of the best of previous mcu before phase 4, nothing in phase 4 would get in that list, that's very telling (and it's not as tho earlier phases were killing it all the time, eg of the Iron Man movies, only the first one is good)

secondly, and maybe a major reason the storytelling has suffered, there is no big bad in focus - there are candidates (from Kang to the multiverse itself) but it's all a bit nebulus with nothing on the level of thanos looming on the horizon. so not a lot of it marries up, or the attempt to do so is limp (the previous phases had clear focus, with phase 1 building to the Avengers and phase 2/3 building to thanos showdown, with an overall arc refered to as the Infinity Saga)

in fairness you have to say what marvel are taking on with expanding the cast of characters to include god like levels of power on a galactic footing and mixing all that in with a multiverse as a big part of that, it's a HUGE ask and i really doubt they can weave all this together in a succinct and satisfying way

to put it in context, according to WIKI, we have 7 tv shows left in phase four (includes two specials) and 5 movies, combine that with the above list and it's really insane, compare that with phase 1 which was just 6 movies.

im sure we'll get some good new content, certainly hope so, but for the most part i imagine it will be underwhelming (a bit like Eternals, ambitious project, couldn't pull it off)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 01:05:56 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7356 on: July 10, 2022, 01:39:43 pm »
That's strange, it's not like Disney to wreck a franchise by running it into the ground with as many crap spinoffs as humanly possible. Never mind, I'm sure Captain America 4, with The Falcon as Cap, the same writers as the Falcon and Bucky TV show and the director of The Cloverfield Paradox will right the ship.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7357 on: July 10, 2022, 02:44:29 pm »
Really think they need to actually spell out a time line for when all this stuff is happening at this point with so many different shows and films coming out.

San Diego Comic Con in a fortnight so I'd imagine we'll be getting some big announcements for films and casting announcements.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7358 on: July 10, 2022, 02:56:39 pm »
Really think they need to actually spell out a time line for when all this stuff is happening at this point with so many different shows and films coming out.

San Diego Comic Con in a fortnight so I'd imagine we'll be getting some big announcements for films and casting announcements.

They don't do SDCC anymore right? They have their own D23 thing
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7359 on: July 10, 2022, 04:54:12 pm »
They don't do SDCC anymore right? They have their own D23 thing

Looks like they’re doing it this year.