Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 154975 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #920 on: February 1, 2024, 07:33:16 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJpmy128mE

Great little interview. I think I'll miss hearing him speak as much as when you hear Klopp speak. Really interested to see what's down for him as a manager.

So he was always going at the same time as Klopp? It sounds like they'd decided last summer to give it 'one last dance' knowing that the project was coming to an end. I must admit that I wouldn't have been surprised if Klopp would have walked last summer.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #921 on: February 2, 2024, 12:40:15 pm »
Mentioned on the BBC from an Aberdeen fan as who they'd like to be there next manager. Could be an interesting move for both sides.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: February 2, 2024, 12:42:31 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes and manages in the Portuguese league.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #923 on: February 2, 2024, 02:49:03 pm »
He always comes across really passionately in interviews. I hope he can go on to have a successful Managerial career and you never know if our paths will cross again.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: February 2, 2024, 02:51:57 pm »

Think he inferred in the interview that Vitor Matos would be working with him so that might tie in with your opinion.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: February 2, 2024, 10:54:23 pm »
I'm a massive fan of Lijnders, to the point where I have always maintained that him returning in 2018 to essentially replace Buvac was the most important decision made in Klopp's time here.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #926 on: February 3, 2024, 12:30:48 am »
I'm a massive fan of Lijnders, to the point where I have always maintained that him returning in 2018 to essentially replace Buvac was the most important decision made in Klopp's time here.

and if rumours are to be believed, it was him coming back that sent Buvac into a mega-sulk, and then leaving!

But yeah, worked out fantastically for the club. It was clear that Klopp really took to Lijnders from the start, hence being so quick to promise him a return and promotion when things didn’t go well in the Netherlands.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: February 3, 2024, 07:04:09 am »
I’d love to know what conversations have gone on between Pep and the club.

It wouldnt surprise me if both parties took the view that managing elsewhere first for experience and then reviewing down the line, would be the best approach.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #928 on: February 3, 2024, 07:53:10 am »
It would make no sense to let Pep leave with a view to bringing him back down the line. If there was a right time to appoint him it would surely be now with everyone and everything in place he’s familiar with. The chances of him going elsewhere, getting experience, being ‘ready’ to manage us and that aligning with our timeline of appointing another manager are surely incredibly slim. If they rate him as a potential manager - and there’s surely nobody in a better place to judge than them - then they should appoint him now as it’ll be his best chance of succeeding and continuing the work of Jurgen and his team.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #929 on: February 3, 2024, 08:30:10 am »
I’m really glad Pep can leave on a high.  Taking him on for his first managerial job never sat comfortably with me and I thought he would tarnish his standing

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #930 on: February 3, 2024, 09:46:17 am »
Lovely interview. Seems a great guy who genuninely loves and gets the club and city (his comment about his kids being posh Scousers made me laugh). As with all the backroom staff, massively undersung (except by Klopp) and massively important. Will be missed, and who knows he may be back one day?!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #931 on: February 3, 2024, 09:47:59 am »

Well Amorim’s English seems quite good but a Portuguese speaking assistant who knows the club inside out?

You never know.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #932 on: February 3, 2024, 07:14:57 pm »
One thing is for sure, Ljinders definitely has a big football brain. I can see how he might rub people up the wrong way though - his choice of words are sometimes a bit off, and he over talks a lot. I can see how someone like Klopp can see past that though, smooth out his message, and get players to fully engage with the passion and big brain ideas of Pep. He  should enjoy a wonderful assistant career and follow Klopp into his next role. It’s a dynamite combination. Or even better, just convince Klopp to allow him and Krawietz to do some of the media work. Maybe even manage all the League Cup games.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: February 4, 2024, 02:04:20 am »

It’s interesting how his return coincided with us playing a more refined and patient version of gegenpressing. The chaotic heavy metal football was seemed more associated with Buvac.

Surprised he’s been out the limelight and not taken a more high profile assistant job. I see he’s currently managing in the German third division.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #934 on: February 4, 2024, 05:18:10 am »
It’s interesting how his return coincided with us playing a more refined and patient version of gegenpressing. The chaotic heavy metal football was seemed more associated with Buvac.

Surprised he’s been out the limelight and not taken a more high profile assistant job. I see he’s currently managing in the German third division.

Buvac? He’s been the sporting director of Dynamo Moscow for a few years.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: February 4, 2024, 06:58:11 am »
loved that interview, class guy, wish him all the best

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: February 4, 2024, 08:53:47 am »
Let him go somewhere else & learn. If he does well say at a top 8 PL club then we can bring him back

we saw with how Gerrard has been found out.
Pep seems a great a coach he just needs some success as a manger first

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #937 on: February 4, 2024, 12:28:58 pm »

Pep seems a great a coach he just needs some success as a manger first

Possibly why he's going away...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: February 23, 2024, 01:27:45 pm »
That was a very good press conference today. He's gone be missed is our Pep. I will watch with interest how he gets on wherever he and Vitor Matos end up.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2024, 05:11:05 pm »
I think Leverkusen should be looking at Pep if there manager was to leave this summer.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2024, 05:42:50 pm »
I think Leverkusen should be looking at Pep if there manager was to leave this summer.

Not being funny, but why? He’s a great assistant, clearly very good tactically, very innovative. But he’s so far had a failed six months at a middling Dutch side and that’s it. He needs to pretty much start where Xabi did at Sociedad B, not a big club who are likely to be champions of one of the biggest leagues in the world.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2024, 05:50:49 pm »
Not being funny, but why? He’s a great assistant, clearly very good tactically, very innovative. But he’s so far had a failed six months at a middling Dutch side and that’s it. He needs to pretty much start where Xabi did at Sociedad B, not a big club who are likely to be champions of one of the biggest leagues in the world.

Alonso went from getting relegated with Sociedad B to Leverkusen who had finished 3rd the season before he joined.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: February 23, 2024, 06:00:42 pm »
Alonso went from getting relegated with Sociedad B to Leverkusen who had finished 3rd the season before he joined.

He went from getting them promoted for the first time in like 60 years, then relegated. 98 games to at least get an idea of what he is as a manager. Pep had 22 at NEC six years ago :D I’m not quite sure that’s the sort of experience you’d want to replace the only title winning manager in your history with, but we’ll see I guess. I’d wager he probably starts again a little lower than that.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #943 on: February 23, 2024, 06:46:51 pm »
He went from getting them promoted for the first time in like 60 years, then relegated. 98 games to at least get an idea of what he is as a manager. Pep had 22 at NEC six years ago :D I’m not quite sure that’s the sort of experience you’d want to replace the only title winning manager in your history with, but we’ll see I guess. I’d wager he probably starts again a little lower than that.

How many games as a manager did Arteta have before he got the Arsenal manager's job though?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2024, 07:05:12 pm »
How many games as a manager did Arteta have before he got the Arsenal manager's job though?

Did Arteta get the Arsenal job, or did Guardiola's much-touted acolyte get the Arsenal job?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #945 on: February 23, 2024, 07:21:17 pm »
Did Arteta get the Arsenal job, or did Guardiola's much-touted acolyte get the Arsenal job?

Hopefully, Kloppo's much-touted acolyte gets a top job as well ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: February 23, 2024, 07:27:27 pm »

Arsenal won the league and hired Arteta? Or were they you know, more like 12th?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #947 on: February 23, 2024, 07:52:20 pm »
Arsenal won the league and hired Arteta? Or were they you know, more like 12th?

They finished 3rd and then appointed Alonso who had only ever managed in the 2nd and 3rd tiers of Spanish Football. Leverkusen have a policy of appointing young Coaches.

Alonso, Seoane and Wolf were all around 40 years of age and highly respected coaches. Ljinders is 41 and is a highly respected coach.

As for Arsenal they finished 5th under Emery and could have appointed managers with a much better track record than Arteta. They wanted to go for a young coach with an outstanding reputation.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: February 23, 2024, 08:10:17 pm »
Arsenal were 12th when they hired Arteta

Leverkusen are likely to win the league

Is there another club who have won the title and then hired an assistant manager from another club to replace the title winning manager…? Genuinely.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #949 on: February 23, 2024, 08:12:05 pm »
Not being funny, but why? He’s a great assistant, clearly very good tactically, very innovative.

For those reasons? Plus several years of experience in one of the most pressurised clubs in Europe working with top talent who clearly respect him. Plus a brilliant understanding of how to develop young talent.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: February 23, 2024, 08:15:36 pm »
For those reasons? Plus several years of experience in one of the most pressurised clubs in Europe working with top talent who clearly respect him. Plus a brilliant understanding of how to develop young talent.

To replace their only title winning manager in their history? Behave. He’s a quality assistant, big clubs like that don’t hire an assistant manager from another club with such little managerial experience. I’d love to know a single example of it, away from clubs promoting from within.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #951 on: February 23, 2024, 08:20:41 pm »
Arsenal were 12th when they hired Arteta

Leverkusen are likely to win the league

Is there another club who have won the title and then hired an assistant manager from another club to replace the title winning manager…? Genuinely.

They have been really successful by giving opportunities to young inexperienced highly thought-of coaches. Winning the title would be a vindication of that policy.

So for me, the likelihood is that they will continue with that policy if Alonso leaves. 

Then again as you say they are highly likely to win the League. So they might throw their modus operandi in the bin and hire Mourinho.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #952 on: February 23, 2024, 08:21:31 pm »
To replace their only title winning manager in their history? Behave. He’s a quality assistant, big clubs like that don’t hire an assistant manager from another club with such little managerial experience. I’d love to know a single example of it, away from clubs promoting from within.

I thought I was behaving, but will try and do better.

Put like that, it does seem a stretch I'll admit. But there are two extraordinary things to consider. One is the unusualness of Leverkusen (or for that matter anyone) winning the Bundesliga other than Bayern. Post-Alonso, a club like Dortmund would have much bigger pulling-power than Leverkusen. The second is that Pep is assistant manager at Liverpool FC and under Jurgen Klopp. That is not any old assistant manager.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: February 23, 2024, 08:34:13 pm »
They have been really successful by giving opportunities to young inexperienced highly thought-of coaches. Winning the title would be a vindication of that policy.

So for me, the likelihood is that they will continue with that policy if Alonso leaves. 

Then again as you say they are highly likely to win the League. So they might throw their modus operandi in the bin and hire Mourinho.

Mourinho sure, or someone like Hoeneß.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #954 on: February 23, 2024, 09:39:26 pm »

And how many times have people here gone to work somewhere, it not worked out, but thrived elsewhere - culture, resource, environment is all key to making the right appointment and as you well point out Arteta didn't need a big back catalogue of matches, he picked the right club for him and it paid dividends

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: February 23, 2024, 09:42:20 pm »
And how many times have people here gone to work somewhere, it not worked out, but thrived elsewhere - culture, resource, environment is all key to making the right appointment and as you well point out Arteta didn't need a big back catalogue of matches, he picked the right club for him and it paid dividends

He's spent a bloody fortune and won fuck all. A solitary fa cup ffs

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: February 23, 2024, 09:57:04 pm »
With mainly Emerys team

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #957 on: February 23, 2024, 09:59:59 pm »
He's spent a bloody fortune and won fuck all. A solitary fa cup ffs

Not saying he has done well on the level of Klopp but when you look at the turnover at Utd after losing their long term iconic manager and the poor output from that whereas he has had a good title challenge last year, a cup, and a decent challenge so far this year he hasn't failed either

Maybe my bar is set a bit on the low side

Offline ademuzzy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #958 on: February 23, 2024, 11:36:42 pm »
I don’t particularly like arteta and I find him a bit of a muppet but he’s done a great job with Arsenal.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #959 on: February 24, 2024, 12:27:49 am »

Exactly.

The biggest thing is that 90%+ of managers fail.

Arteta comes in with no managerial experience at all but is now in his fifth year as Arsenal's manager.
"Ohhh-kayyy"