Author Topic: Factorio  (Read 726 times)

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Factorio
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:59 am »
If you like strategy games, appreciate logistics, building things and losing time in an addictive environment for only £15 on steam, then this is your game.

https://www.factorio.com/

I lost an entire weekend to this thing. Its simply quite brilliant.

About the game

Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories.

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally protect it from the creatures who don't really like you.

The game is very stable and optimized for building massive factories. You can create your own maps, write mods in Lua or play with friends via Multiplayer
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Factorio
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:32:43 pm »
At work right now so can't check out any gameplay, but I have a question for you: is it a tiny bit like Transport Tycoon?

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:38:33 pm »
I have no idea Dalarr. never played TT. But what I do know is it kept me absorbed for a whole weekend and Im aready planning manufacturies that will work better than the dross I assembled. Even though it works, in a fashion.

It is a very clever and ingenious game and would be wonderful for kids too. Especially those lego/meccano types of which I was one. You essentially build a factory, power it, mine for it and produce things to use as components for another part etc etc. Its very much like a circuit board and integrated circuits. Very clever design.

Just looked at TT, thats a bit like sim city. For me its like red alert but you build the factories from scratch rather than plonking a factory on a grid. You can have loads and loadsa factories, their logistics and transport systems all running. Its a bit minecraft meets swiss watch maker to create industry whilst fending off bugs.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 04:00:10 pm »
Nice one, thanks for sharing. I'll give it a go when my kids allow me some spare time (which can be everything from today to next month)

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »
At work right now so can't check out any gameplay, but I have a question for you: is it a tiny bit like Transport Tycoon?

I'd say it's nowhere close to Transport Tycoon. TT is simply getting stuff from A to B and then maybe to C. Factorio is about much more complicated production lines. You start out with simple stuff like getting coal to run a smelter and putting iron ore in that to produce metal plates. Those plates can then be used to build new stuff like transporter belts and other machinery. You start out doing this manually by running around with your character in game. When you have enough materials you can start with automation. Like building a mining drill to get the coal and ore, using transporter belts to bring those to the smelter and then you keep on going from there. Building and researching new materials and stuff you can build. And you need to build all the stuff you need. In the beginning you'll mainly need those plates and some iron gear wheels to build new machinery or stuff like the mining drills.

As you progress in the game things are getting more and more complicated. It's been a while since I've played it, but there are inserters which take stuff from transporter belts and put them into assembly machines (that build stuff). To build one of them you need metal plates, iron wheel gears and a circuitboard. To get a circuit board you build a machine that combines metal plates with copper cables. Those cables are made from copper plates you have to make beforehand. There are shitloads of steps you have to take to get the more advanced stuff in the game and you're supposed to have it all automated, i.e. have a production line where coal and iron ore become metal plates and then those plates are going to various other lines where they are turned into iron gear wheels, circuit boards,...

It is quite an addictive game, but I stopped playing it a while ago as it just seemed to miss a purpose. Building all that stuff and getting new things to play around with is quite entertaining, but after a while it all just didn't feel rewarding anymore. That might change as the game is still in Early Access, but at one point I just couldn't be arsed optimising all my conveyor belts and machinery for the millionth time...

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:07 am »
I enjoy trying to get the production to run efficiently and to maximise throughput. Its makes you think and THAT is what rewards me. Its also frustrating, annoying and downright addictive. I like figuring out problems and thats what makes this game for me. Because I keep creating problems for my lines and then I have to continually remodel them. Wifey loves it as it keeps me quiet for hours and out of her way.