Author Topic: HBO/Sky Atlantic - Succession  (Read 44348 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: HBO/Sky Atlantic - Succession
« Reply #760 on: June 1, 2023, 11:34:59 pm »
Here is the worst take on anything ever, Evertonian levels of delusion and jealousy. Clickbait, of course, and I’d paste the article to avoid giving the author that, but I’m on phone. But if someone wants to do the honours.

‘Succession’ Tricked a Sliver of America Into Thinking That It’s a Good Show | Commentary

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/succession-tricked-sliver-america-thinking-014813945.html
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #761 on: June 1, 2023, 11:38:02 pm »
Here is the worst take on anything ever, Evertonian levels of delusion and jealousy. Clickbait, of course, and I’d paste the article to avoid giving the author that, but I’m on phone. But if someone wants to do the honours.

‘Succession’ Tricked a Sliver of America Into Thinking That It’s a Good Show | Commentary

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/succession-tricked-sliver-america-thinking-014813945.html

Bill Wyman is the former arts editor of Salon and National Public Radio.

Well if that doesn't say a lot nothing will. I stopped reading in the first paragraph.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: June 2, 2023, 12:07:11 am »

Interested to hear negative takes on Succession as a) i love it and b) everything I've read on it has been gushing - but that is dreadful :D
The black comedy elements of the show seem to have completely gone over his head. It reads like he thinks he's watching some sincere examination of the subject matter. The kids were only ever serious players in their own heads - the big joke none of them were in on.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2023, 12:13:31 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: June 2, 2023, 02:00:56 am »
Yeah I just skimmed a bit of that article, seems like the author was whooshed every step of the way. "This is stupid, Kendall is an entitled psychopath nepo baby who spouts meaningless corporate-speak and is painfully uncomfortable in his own skin!"... no shit you idiot, that's what the writers wanted him to be, that's what he epitomised, and you damn well better believe that people like that exist in the corridors of power, I mean... ever been on twitter? So basically the author is saying this show is shit because it achieved everything it set out to do with perfect clarity. Oh no!!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #764 on: June 2, 2023, 07:57:48 am »
Im just giving an explanation, Im not suggesting for a minute its true.
Armstrong is from Oswestry, the chances fof him knowing about a baseball player born in the 19th Centaury is very small

Sorry - not having a dig at you. Just seems far fetched.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #765 on: June 2, 2023, 08:15:53 am »

What a steaming pile of horseshit. Of course he’s right that feckless half witted kids of a business mogul would never be allowed anywhere near the company. Apart from the Murdoch kids, the Maxwell kids, the Trump kids and countless other children if billionaires everywhere.

His assumption that Kendall doesn’t know what “Carpe diem” means because he says “Carpe the diem” is hilarious. Kendall is hapless but he’s not a moron, and he would have gone to good schools and learned stuff.

Dismissing Roman completely? Sad.

I didn’t read his own version of the show but basically he wanted a comforting traditional Hollywood/US to story arc where characters ‘grow’ and ‘discover themselves’ rather than the nightmare circularity that is the lives of these characters. In the real world we are who we are. In Wyman’s world, Kendall would realise the error of his ways and give it all up to rejoin his family and the final scene would have been him tossing a baseball glove to his son as the sun sets.

I'm looking forward to Wyman's re-writing of King Lear and the works of Shakespeare.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2023, 09:08:23 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #766 on: June 2, 2023, 08:47:49 am »

I get the impression he doesn't realise its a comedy.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #767 on: June 2, 2023, 10:06:42 am »
Laughably appalling article by an attention seeking hack dickhead...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #768 on: June 2, 2023, 10:18:50 am »
Yahoo? Is that still a thing?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: June 2, 2023, 11:00:18 am »

Struggled to read it up to the summation of the children. What's his problem with Roman?

Awful article.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: June 2, 2023, 11:29:15 am »
Yahoo? Is that still a thing?

I’ll take yahoo over Twitter/TikTok/Instagram everytime.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: June 2, 2023, 11:36:50 am »
If that article was glowing with positivity then no one here would have known it even exists, like it or not the goal was likely to generate clicks and that's exactly what he did. When people can't stop themselves from hate-reading things it's inevitable that a lot of shit will get written like that.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: June 2, 2023, 11:45:13 am »
If that article was glowing with positivity then no one here would have known it even exists, like it or not the goal was likely to generate clicks and that's exactly what he did. When people can't stop themselves from hate-reading things it's inevitable that a lot of shit will get written like that.
Yeah it's the Stu Brennan school of journalism.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: June 2, 2023, 12:39:20 pm »

Thank you for reading my post.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: June 2, 2023, 01:30:53 pm »
Thank you for reading my post.

I did read your post, but by the time I saw it there was already a page full of replies from people who had obviously clicked the link and read it.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: June 2, 2023, 01:56:34 pm »
What a steaming pile of horseshit. Of course he’s right that feckless half witted kids of a business mogul would never be allowed anywhere near the company. Apart from the Murdoch kids, the Maxwell kids, the Trump kids and countless other children if billionaires everywhere.

His assumption that Kendall doesn’t know what “Carpe diem” means because he says “Carpe the diem” is hilarious. Kendall is hapless but he’s not a moron, and he would have gone to good schools and learned stuff.

Dismissing Roman completely? Sad.

I didn’t read his own version of the show but basically he wanted a comforting traditional Hollywood/US to story arc where characters ‘grow’ and ‘discover themselves’ rather than the nightmare circularity that is the lives of these characters. In the real world we are who we are. In Wyman’s world, Kendall would realise the error of his ways and give it all up to rejoin his family and the final scene would have been him tossing a baseball glove to his son as the sun sets.

I'm looking forward to Wyman's re-writing of King Lear and the works of Shakespeare.

It's like he misunderstands all the good things about the show and wants to make them bad. Connor a "substantive political thinker" - yikes!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #776 on: June 2, 2023, 06:49:03 pm »
It's like he misunderstands all the good things about the show and wants to make them bad. Connor a "substantive political thinker" - yikes!

Yeah I mean does he not even realise that Connor Roy was interested in politics at a very early age.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #777 on: June 2, 2023, 07:13:12 pm »
Yeah I mean does he not even realise that Connor Roy was interested in politics at a very early age.

Thought his Pan-Hapsburg, American-led EU alternative was the mark of a subtle, perceptive political mind...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: June 3, 2023, 09:04:27 pm »
Just finished the show,wow best drama i've seen in years and i think it was written so tight,had a perfect span at 4 seasons.

Once in a decade series.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: December 10, 2023, 11:39:48 pm »
Just finished. Absolutely masterful and perfectly concluded. How you can love such despicable characters is testament to the wonderful acting and writing.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2023, 12:03:57 am »
Just finished. Absolutely masterful and perfectly concluded. How you can love such despicable characters is testament to the wonderful acting and writing.

Even if it's not exactly love for some of us, it's possible to identify with parts of them and to sort of understand them even though they are, as you noted, thoroughly despicable.

Due to, again as you mentioned, superb writing and acting...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2023, 06:55:23 pm »
Made up to find L To The LG feat. Kendall Roy on Spotify last week.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: December 16, 2023, 09:30:51 am »
The standout of the show is Kieran Culkin. Never mind Ken, Roman is the most damaged of all of them but plays the clown to mask it. Wonderful complexity hidden behind the (often hilariously) obnoxious facade.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: January 12, 2024, 08:04:49 am »
After seeing glowing recommendations in the TV thread, I’m 4 episodes into S1.  Just WOW. What an amazing show. I love it and from what I’ve read it only gets better.

At the moment Kendall is my fav character.

That scene at the end of E4 with Roman, the waiter, his girlfriend and the mobile phone!!

I’m not the greatest fan of binge watching TV,  but will be doing 2 eps per day.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: January 12, 2024, 01:23:26 pm »
After seeing glowing recommendations in the TV thread, I’m 4 episodes into S1.  Just WOW. What an amazing show. I love it and from what I’ve read it only gets better.

At the moment Kendall is my fav character.

That scene at the end of E4 with Roman, the waiter, his girlfriend and the mobile phone!!

I’m not the greatest fan of binge watching TV,  but will be doing 2 eps per day.

;D
What took you so long

I predict Tom will end up being your favourite
Enjoy  :wave
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: January 13, 2024, 01:14:35 am »
i don't have your discipline avoiding a binge, but that's the way to do succession. can't be doing any more than 2 or 3 a day - not really the right tone/atmosphere to let it take over a full night
I predict Tom will end up being your favourite
Enjoy  :wave
no chance ;) Pete's a man of taste

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: February 14, 2024, 11:27:53 am »
Due to RDR2 on the PS5 and job hunting, not had much time for the telly.  6 episodes into Succession S1. 

no chance ;) Pete's a man of taste

I seriously dislike Tom at the moment.  I can't work out if Greg is just playing along with him.  Maybe Greg isn't as stupid as he seems.

I watched Episode 6 last night and it was amazing.  The vote of no-confidence episode.  Roman you gutless wanker :)

I quite like the way Connor's young missus character is going. She perhaps could be a ruthless bitch underneath that girl next door demeanor.

Logan, in the last scene, where he keeps the president on-hold was class.

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: March 13, 2024, 12:59:51 pm »
Just finished it over a 3 weeks period. I knew about it but was always putting it off for some reason. Absolute perfection. Up there with The Wire and The Sopranos as the top 3 greatest ever TV shows

It's so mad to love characters who are so horrible but every one of them was perfect. Come the end of it I absolutely despised Shiv more than anyone else. Will be watching this again soon to see what I missed on the 1st watch. Wow

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #788 on: March 13, 2024, 08:19:41 pm »
Just finished it over a 3 weeks period. I knew about it but was always putting it off for some reason. Absolute perfection. Up there with The Wire and The Sopranos as the top 3 greatest ever TV shows

It's so mad to love characters who are so horrible but every one of them was perfect. Come the end of it I absolutely despised Shiv more than anyone else. Will be watching this again soon to see what I missed on the 1st watch. Wow

I've probably watched it 5times? The dialogue is so dense I still find new things and nuance in what they say.
The first time I watched the whole thing I was semi-routing for Kendall, I thought there was a good guy in there who I wanted to win in the end.
By the 3rd time of watching it, when you actually really listen to what he says, I found him to be the biggest chump in the history of television.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: March 13, 2024, 09:53:57 pm »
Roman was the best.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: April 25, 2024, 08:41:08 pm »
Just watched the S2 finale

I just knew what Ken was going to do but it was still amazing viewing.

Was that a slight smile on Logan’s face in the last shot? :)

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #791 on: Yesterday at 08:08:20 pm »
'You Can't Make a Tomelette Without Breaking Some Greggs' is one of the best things ever written.