Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight  (Read 177050 times)

Offline TheRussianBiscuit

• custardcreamski
  • Main Stander
  • Hey hey hey its the biscuit in the house!
Re: Brendan Rodgers: An Insight
« Reply #640 on: May 30, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »
i thought Liverpool fans where supposed to be insightful, intelligent and supportive...i signed up here as a relatively young red with no one to teach me the Liverpool way, thinking i would learn. But FUCK ME i have  had to avoid rawk for a couple of weeks. And when i do look on here i see alot of BS about our new manager and unfounded shit about FSG. Those of you lucky enough to see Kenny play and Liverpool win league titles, but are still on here acting like 2 year old wums need to give your heads a massive fucking shake.
"I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches"

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #641 on: May 30, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »
First of all,

Welcome Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool Football Club.

The owners treatment of Kenny has been well documented.A disgrace in my book.However,they have come to this decision and while im sceptical about the owners at the moment im hoping they give Brennan Rogers time to build something here.He needs time and full support from us from the very start.

Im not going to pretend Im suddenly an expert on rogers and his philosophy but what I've seen he tries to get his teams playing good football.He also comes across well in interviews and seems to be his own man.Quite humble when talking about his Swansea team this season.That i like.
So Im going to give him support.100%.And lets not spit the dummy if he hasn't us playing like barca by September.The man needs time patience and loyalty to build something.

That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #642 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:00 pm »
People need to understand that although 4th is the objective, we didn't just miss it in the last game or something. We missed it by a huge what 17 or 18 points? If that is repeated, that is unacceptable in modern football and Rodgers will go if it does happen. It will keep happening until there comes a man who will get close to that 4th spot or actually the 4th spot and starts bringing in that extra 30-40 M and CL lure and sign world beaters and get LFC on the right path. Its the reality of the sky generation. Its true, the world has changed.
Mate I don't know if you go the game or not but last seasons points tally was not in general a true reflection of how the team performed. I've been watching Liverpool for 38 years and never have I come away from so many games wondering how the fuck we never won by a country mile and actually lost. This team has the makings and with a couple of free scoring additions will be a team to be proud of. If BR has the tactical nouse that he seems to have, we will be difficult to beat and playing possession football that I was brought up on. Lets hope that the owners play the long game and let this guy build his own dynasty. I like the language he speaks and the way he conducts himself, he clearly is someone highly thought of by lots of people in the game and a real student of the game.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #643 on: May 30, 2012, 11:56:08 pm »
I personally think the Euro Cup this season now has exceeded in presidency, in a sense, if not for Brendan Rodgers himself.

Brendan Rodgers, seems to know exactly what he is talking about, after watching a lot of his interviews, he is media savvy, he knows how to work them, much like Mourinho does and uses them to put his point across, defend his team and actually talk a bit of sense and above all, he seems composed in the way he handles the media, he is resolute and non-biased.

We know he can do a good job, whether he can do a good job for us, time will only tell. I just hope his training regimen falls well with some of our more established players, will he convert Carra? Let's see.

BUT, to add.

I am now savouring the Europa, am I right in thinking that this may be Brendan's first run in Europe? He might just savour the European Competition, much like Rafa Benitez did. His style of play may well get a good run out in the Europa League, and who knows, if... IF we do qualify for the CL next season, if we do, his system will be means tested and yes, I'm very excited.

It will be an interesting season indeed, very, very interesting. Very much looking forward to it.

I had and still have a special place in my heart for Kenny Dalglish, was gutted to see him go, but now we have a new manager; in true Liverpool style, I will give him my full support and backing and I hope he has a successful time here at Anfield.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:02:35 am by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #644 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:34 pm »

Excitement maybe isn't the right word.

A little bit of trepidation with a large amount of curiosity and hope.

I am a naturally optimistic guy and the best case scenario of him translating his style and ideas to our stage is very attractive.

Alot of things have to come together and synchronise. But he does have a certain aura, a certain attitude, and a certain vision that does make you feel good about this new chapter of our book.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #645 on: May 30, 2012, 11:58:27 pm »
Mate I don't know if you go the game or not but last seasons points tally was not in general a true reflection of how the team performed. I've been watching Liverpool for 38 years and never have I come away from so many games wondering how the fuck we never won by a country mile and actually lost. This team has the makings and with a couple of free scoring additions will be a team to be proud of. If BR has the tactical nouse that he seems to have, we will be difficult to beat and playing possession football that I was brought up on. Lets hope that the owners play the long game and let this guy build his own dynasty. I like the language he speaks and the way he conducts himself, he clearly is someone highly thought of by lots of people in the game and a real student of the game.

While I agree to what you say. Also for all the unlucky how the fuck did we not win games, we had our, what the fuck is going on, can you please put on a substitute at least? Or how the fuck are we getting overrun in midfield by Wigan games. (and a lot of them) 52 points and 8th or 9th position would get any Liverpool manager the sack pretty much. I am pretty sure we can go through last 100 years and find these instances. My earlier post wasn't a pessimistic one aimed at Rodgers, but for those whiners who are still hung on the Kenny train and are now waiting for our first loss under Rodgers so that they can attack him and bring him down. Because Kenny wasn't given time and support. (Which is bullshit IMO)

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:39 am »
A philosophy is what we need and he has one. Looking forward to see if he can implement it. Certainly a bright young manager.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:44 am »
While I agree to what you say. Also for all the unlucky how the fuck did we not win games, we had our, what the fuck is going on, can you please put on a substitute at least? Or how the fuck are we getting overrun in midfield by Wigan games. (and a lot of them) 52 points and 8th or 9th position would get any Liverpool manager the sack pretty much. I am pretty sure we can go through last 100 years and find these instances. My earlier post wasn't a pessimistic one aimed at Rodgers, but for those whiners who are still hung on the Kenny train and are now waiting for our first loss under Rodgers so that they can attack him and bring him down. Because Kenny wasn't given time and support. (Which is bullshit IMO)
Sorry fella, the point I was trying to make was that I think he inherits a team that with small margins can make massive strides in terms of points achieved. For all the negativity of the press, I actually think that he inherits a strong squad with a years experience behind them.

Offline sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #648 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:21 am »
Get on the BBC news sight ffs. I'm trying my best with a few others, but the comments section is already filling up with Chelsea fans.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #649 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:11 am »
Thinking about it, does anyone else think we've brought in Rodgers largely because his system also fits a number of our players? I'd say our back six fit perfectly, along with Henderson and Suarez and to a degree Gerrard, Carroll and Downing. That said, I'm incredibly worried about Downing - I don't think he has the mentality and I hope to god Brendan can change that because otherwise we're in for a significant financial loss.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:53 am »
Get on the BBC news sight ffs. I'm trying my best with a few others, but the comments section is already filling up with Chelsea fans.

Don't read the sky ones then they normally 10 times worse.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #651 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:00 am »
This. He had Swansea playing some lovely stuff last season and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with us.
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline Ada069

• Kopite
  • RAWK' forum lurker, Read daily, 2 lazy 2 post.
« Reply #652 on: May 31, 2012, 12:13:59 am »
is it my end or has the www.liverpoolfc.tv not announced it yet? is it just a verbal agreement at this stage or something?
I'm too lazy to get in an E-fight with some E-troll who is really mad a the world and just needs a hug. But not one from me.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:20 am »
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers  :scarf :scarf :scarf Hope you bring many trophies to this great club.

I am genuinely excited by this appointment and really hope this is the start of something great.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
is it my end or has the www.liverpoolfc.tv not announced it yet? is it just a verbal agreement at this stage or something?

I am guessing it wont be official until we agree on the compensation fee.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:27 am »
They will in due course mate, if they haven't quite agreed compensation with Swansea it would be inappropriate to make a statement. Its being done in the correct manner not the Paul Ince manner.

Offline Ada069

• Kopite
  • RAWK' forum lurker, Read daily, 2 lazy 2 post.
« Reply #656 on: May 31, 2012, 12:19:21 am »
Any idea on what the Fee is likely to amount too?
I'm too lazy to get in an E-fight with some E-troll who is really mad a the world and just needs a hug. But not one from me.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:11 am »
Telegraph is suggesting £5m as he'd not long extended his contract.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:14 am »

According to BBC, between £4-5mil.

Offline paKopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #660 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:20 am »
good luck BR

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:54 am »
a couple of astute signings and he could have us challenging for the title next year, fourth easily.

mark my words.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: May 31, 2012, 12:26:44 am »
Dare I say he seems interested in pass and move?
Yep.

Offline james_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #663 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:33 am »
swansea player's average passes per game:

1. williams (cb) - 70.1
2. rangel (rb) - 66.8
3. britton (dm) - 62.7
4. caulker (cb) - 61.5
5. allen (cm) - 60.5
6. monk (cb) - 53.1
7. taylor (lb) - 47.3
8. richards (rb) - 46.3

gk: vorm - 27

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/259

barcelona player's average passes per game:

1. xavi (cm) - 93.8
2. thiago (cm) - 73.1
3. busquets (dm) - 72.6
4. alves (rwb) - 71.4
5. masch (cd/dm) - 67.2
6. messi (fw) - 63.8
7. fabregas (cm) - 62.5
8. abidal (lb) - 62.5

gk: valdes - 17

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/65

swansea held their possession very deep with their defenders averaging the most passes per game which is actually the opposite of barca who hold their possession very high up the pitch with the midfielders averaging the most passes. i'm not sure if swansea were doing this deliberately and this is rodger's method, or if they just didn't have the quality of player to hold it higher up the pitch. it will be interesting to see if we hold our possession the swansea way or the barcelona way.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:00 am »

One theory was on or after 1st June for the announcement when the Warrior contract begins so they get the exposure on the official site and not the outgoing Adidas.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: May 31, 2012, 12:41:24 am »
swansea player's average passes per game:

1. williams (cb) - 70.1
2. rangel (rb) - 66.8
3. britton (dm) - 62.7
4. caulker (cb) - 61.5
5. allen (cm) - 60.5
6. monk (cb) - 53.1
7. taylor (lb) - 47.3
8. richards (rb) - 46.3

gk: vorm - 27

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/259

barcelona player's average passes per game:

1. xavi (cm) - 93.8
2. thiago (cm) - 73.1
3. busquets (dm) - 72.6
4. alves (rwb) - 71.4
5. masch (cd/dm) - 67.2
6. messi (fw) - 63.8
7. fabregas (cm) - 62.5
8. abidal (lb) - 62.5

gk: valdes - 17

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/65

swansea held their possession very deep with their defenders averaging the most passes per game which is actually the opposite of barca who hold their possession very high up the pitch with the midfielders averaging the most passes. i'm not sure if swansea were doing this deliberately and this is rodger's method, or if they just didn't have the quality of player to hold it higher up the pitch. it will be interesting to see if we hold our possession the swansea way or the barcelona way.

You got to remember its all good and well keeping the ball its what you do with it that counts, there is stat that shows  Swansea had the lowest % of passes in final third. I have no doubt that this will improve with better players just pointing out that although that is huge impressive stat from Swansea they didn't really do it in dangerous areas.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #666 on: May 31, 2012, 12:42:21 am »
I think Danny Agger is going to be the big winner in this style of play, we will be the fulcrum of playing it out from the back.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #667 on: May 31, 2012, 12:43:26 am »
Dare I say he seems interested in pass and move?

But does he dig the Liverpool groove?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #668 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:18 am »
a couple of astute signings and he could have us challenging for the title next year, fourth easily.

mark my words.
I'm happy with the Rodgers appointment, and optimistic about what he might be able to achieve in the next few years.

There's absolutely zero chance of us winning the league next year though, and we're major outsiders for the fourth spot.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:42 am »
But does he dig the Liverpool groove?
I can just see him now with the baseball cap on sideways!

Offline db1animal

• Anny Roader
« Reply #670 on: May 31, 2012, 12:48:26 am »
I'd echo what many have said, whilst disappointed to see Kenny go I can understand it from a 'long term plan' point of view.

I would have loved to see Rafa come back, but that wasn't a direction FSG wanted to take, and I'll respect that, they have far more experience running sports tems than I do!

I guess like many on here the last few hours have been spent avidly reading up about our 'prospective' new managers credentials, we all have witnessed Swansea this past season but it's the time spent abroad learning in Spain and Holland, his time at Chelsea having been headhunted by a certain special one that I, and I hope many others, see the exciting potential that may just be around the corner?

I'd like to make is a nod towards Swansea notably the Chairman his and the clubs attitude/behaviour regarding an undoubtedly unwanted situation is commendable, there's no need to name names but certain others should take note. I wish for them all the best going forward and hope they have a sucessful second season (except for 2 obvious games!!)

So here we sit, on the edge of a new chapter, within the next 48 hours I excitedly anticipate the arrival of our new manager and our new kit, I choose to see hope and hope see success.

YNWA
Boston Strong. JTF96.  YNWA

Offline KUNGFUDANCER

• boring wum who thinks La Liga is on a par with the Scottish Premier League... clueless too... don't bother arguing with me because it will just make your head hurt...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2012, 12:50:50 am »
you may not like rodger's appointment but what's done is done. he needs full support from the fans now.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: May 31, 2012, 12:54:32 am »

mark my words.
Yeah, OK.

Offline MonkeysOnIce

• Anny Roader
« Reply #673 on: May 31, 2012, 01:04:53 am »
Am encouraged by Rodger's appointment.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: May 31, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Brendan Rodgers' playing philosophy could be a success if he transfers it from the Liberty Stadium to Liverpool
Brendan Rodgers’ ideas about football were formed when he was a youth player with Northern Ireland, a small, creative midfielder watching helplessly as the ball hurtled back over his head the few times his team managed to wrestle it away from the Dutch, French and Spanish opposition.

In the simplest terms, Rodgers wants his team to get hold of the ball as quickly as possible and then keep it. I spent a couple of hours in his office at the Liberty Stadium last season when he talked me through the logic behind his tactics, derived from various sources but especially inflected with the Barcelona way.

One of the key points he made is that your initial formation — say 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 — matters less than what that translates to on the pitch. When going forward, the best way to move the ball up the field is to create angles of diagonal pass. If you have two banks of four across defence and midfield there are no diagonal passes on. The system needs to be more fluid.

So Rodgers seeks to create as many ‘lines’ across the field as possible. In his system you have a minimum of seven lines. He wants his goalkeeper to be part of the play, then the centre backs, then what he calls the ‘controller’ (a deep-lying playmaker), then the full-backs pushed on, the two attacking midfielders, the wingers and then the centre-forward. That allows you to draw seven horizontal lines across the pitch.

Through coaching, Rodgers ensures that every player knows his place in this system. When a player receives the ball he should always have at least two options for an ‘out’ pass. He gives the players confidence to make those passes by taking the blame on himself when it does not come off.

When the ball is lost, his players seek to win it back quickly by pressing high up the field. This means reacting as a unit and nobody shirking their duty. Winning the ball back quickly creates openings in a disorganised opponent, especially when it happens near their goal. The team as a whole need to know when to press like this, and hold a high line, and when to drop deep and absorb the opponents’ efforts to break them down.

How will this work at Liverpool? In Pepe Reina, Rodgers has the ideal goalkeeper for this system, coached to play as part of the team in the Barcelona academy. Daniel Agger is the kind of ball-playing centre-back Rodgers likes but he made need to recruit a specialist ‘controller’ to do the selfless job Leon Britton did for him at Swansea.

One of the main issues will be how Steven Gerrard can adapt. Is he capable of subjugating himself to a role in a disciplined tactical system at the expense of playing by instinct?

Andy Carroll must also show himself capable of playing in a system in which he will be required to build the play more than he has done in the past. Physical strength is secondary to tactical acuity and technical ability for Rodgers.

There are plenty of technically-adept players in the Liverpool team who will thrive on Rodgers’ emphasis on possession when attacking. The thornier issue is with Rodgers’ defensive system, in which you are only as strong as your weakest link.

If a player does not press off the ball, the whole approach unravels. That is why Barcelona are such an important example — even Lionel Messi closes down and harries.

Selling this to Swansea players was not easy. Selling it to Liverpool players, with big contracts and big egos, will be even harder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9301301/Brendan-Rodgers-playing-philosophy-could-be-a-success-if-he-transfers-it-from-the-Liberty-Stadium-to-Liverpool.html

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #675 on: May 31, 2012, 01:08:23 am »
If his first season is like when he was at Reading, where he overhauled the squad replacing with good players and a better style of play yet the results were poor? Will fsg keep the faith?                                                                                                    The media hyped swansea for their playing style yet this was a team that played the same style with little expectation but gelled and understood their role, our team still hasnt shown that and so far we either pass it gerrard or lump it to carroll.   Hopefully he has a plan b in terms of tactics and not blinded by his own philosophy because if we are going to win anything or compete top 4 then  we have to be able to win games regardless of style.                                                         

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #676 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:54 am »
Here's the thing, everyone talking about his wonderful footballing philosophy, it's actually not very far removed from Kennys. I expect a similar season, hitting the post about half as much popping up our points total.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:32 am »
Good luck to our new manager. I think he has the makings of a very good manager and now that he is here I hope he proves it here.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #678 on: May 31, 2012, 01:25:37 am »
Welcome Brendan Rodgers

I am actually intrigued and somewhat excited by this appointment. I think it has the potential to be exactly what we need with the right support.

I recorded all of Liverpool's matches this season that were broadcast. The only other team that I intentionally recorded were Swansea's. I think they were one of the few teams that played a type of game which was creative and with attacking intent. Some of their goals this season were breathtaking in their buildup and execution.

I also see a similarity here with my own home team here in OZ, Brisbane Roar. A few years back they had some established International players, Craig Moore, Danny Tiato (remember him?). It was a bit of a boys club with solid football but struggling to win a title. The club sacked the manager and brought in Ange Postecoglou. Ange had mixed results coaching our Youth National Team, but he had a strong philosophy on how the game should be played. The first thing he did was change the culture at the club. It became one based on respect and adherence to the main objectives of the team. He got rid of a lot of the established players who had some sort of control in the team and brought in players that were a specific fit to his philosophy.

The result... initially many fans revolted. They sighted his average coaching record, the players he let go etc The started to call him Ange Poste..no..clue. Some of it was due to the fact he had replaced a Socceroo legend in Frank Farina. But Ange persisted and the result was nothing short of astounding. Roar won their first premiership and Grand Final, and then followed it up with another Grand Final the next season. They set a sporting record in Australia of 36 consecutive matches undefeated. Their possession based style of play set a new benchmark for the A-league, something that was widely acknowledged by other managers and has raised the standard of the game here.

Their record would have been longer except they conceded a goal against Melbourne victory at the start of their run by someone turning over possession from the back under pressure. Postecoglou was asked if he was annoyed at his players for conceding such a sloppy goal. His response was "why would I be annoyed? They were doing what I asked them to do. I asked them to play out from the back and they did what I asked". Sound familiar.

I know there is a vast difference between the A-league and the EPL, but I could not escape the similarities between our own situation here two years ago and Liverpool now. Will Brendan Rodgers be the answer for us? I don't know. Maybe not. But from what I've seen in an overperforming Swansea side given their budget, and from what I've read about him, he may just be the type of manager we need.

I hope he gets the support from everyone at LFC to make it happen. It would be really sad if it was a lack of support from the fans which caused the mission to fail.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:44 am »
Good luck to Brendan Rodgers. There is no "right man for the job." I hope he does the business.