Author Topic: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*  (Read 586658 times)

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*
« Reply #10480 on: Yesterday at 10:36:25 pm »
I remember when I was getting into football as child in the late 60s and these lot winning the European cup in 68 only being impressed by the size of the actual cup thinking how massive it was ,didn’t give a shit about them .my dad said it was what Matt busby deserved after what he went through which was true .
But very quickly they started to fall and by the star of the 70s the rot had set in and they spent the early 70s just keeping above the relegation spots and of course by 74 down they went.
From European champions in 68 to relegation in 74 ,six years .
So as a child this was their normal to me ,they were shit.even when they came up the following season it was to make the numbers up and were just a mid table side .they even managed to get beat in the 76 cup final off second division Southampton who I think finished mid table in that division so weren’t really good either.this always get air brushed out of history but it was a huge humiliation at the time.
Rest of the 70s and 80s they were just crap ,a cup final here and there but their biggest achievements was game raising against us which they always seemed to get one over us ,great as we were .it was their cup final everytime we played them .
But ultimately that was their normal.years of mediocrity then eventually Ferguson got them sorted and off they went but even he was extremely lucky to survive those first 4 years as they were just as shit as ever .even after the 1990 cup run and win ,in the league that following season they were struggling and it looked like he would be sacked but suddenly the stars seemed to align and as I said they went upwards for twenty years .
Now they are back to what they were when I was growing up and beyond .mid table ,odd cup run and final here and there ,playing shit football in a dump of a ground ,getting turned over by mediocre teams ,and going through managers every 5 minutes.
Let’s hope they repeat the 73-74 seasons too .sorry to quote the owl but that would be utopia

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:41:38 pm by 9 kemlyn road »

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #10481 on: Yesterday at 10:38:04 pm »
They won the League 6 months after I was born, then won the European Cup when I was 18 months old, they next won the League when I was 25, the European Cup when I was 32. I've seen them get releagted to the old Division Two, lose the FA Cup Final to Division 2 outfit Southampton, come back from 2 down to Arsenal to then lose the FA Cup 3-2, take 30 out of 30 points and still lose the league to us  and lose the league at Anfield. During all that time, they were arrogant bastards, thought they were the dogs bollocks, ideas above their station. What they did do better than us was tap into the commercial side, which is annoying as we were the first team to have a shirt sponsor in Hitachi.

And yes, all they have now is to live in the past ;D
You said it better than me Rob

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10482 on: Yesterday at 11:04:59 pm »

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10483 on: Yesterday at 11:13:33 pm »
So, really, they should have finished 14th, on 44 points. One caveat to note is "over performance" will pretty much always happen for them, as they will always get about 8-10 points more than their "actual" due to the refs.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #10484 on: Today at 01:00:28 am »
It's hilarious to me when I see threads on redcafe of people saying they should go for Wirtz, Mbappe (before, not anymore) etc. They refuse to accept their position and still think superstars will go there.

They fully deserve their Antony's and Martial's.