Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by KC7 on Today at 07:12:57 pm »
If we won every game after Palace at best we'd have lost it on goal difference to Arsenal. No way Everton or United would have done us a favour.

Everyone knew we'd fucked it that day.

Absoutely. As gutted as I was though after the Palace game (to be honest I didn't watch it I was so pissed off seeing the teamsheet with an unathletic 31 year old, goosed DM being selected to start against the same opponents who had previously singled him out at their ground less than 72 hours after he had been rinsed by Atalanta) I did think it's a position we would have taken in August. We didn't know what to expect back then, and it's been quite a freakish season in many respects. The Spurs debacle, all those comebacks (the Newcastle game where we had been pummeled for 75), conceding 6 in two games against a gash United at OT, dominating possession but looking vulnerable in every game (bar maybe 5 where we weren't on the edge of our seat), it's been wild.

Putting aside the fact the 6 isnt good enough, we started the season with a completely new midfield (in addition to Jones). As Andy Brassell said on a podcast its unheard of for a top side to do that in one transfer window. So in that context the season has been a massive success. Circa 80 points and a Cup. The shitty thing is Jurgen is leaving, when it was next season, with one obvious upgrade, that would have been the one where were would have looked much more the part. It's one season too soon from Jurgen in that regard (also in regard to the avaibility of Alonso). It's a pity for him that he couldn't complete his next era team and reap the rewards from it, the hope is Slot is the one who will.
My prediction (not necessarily who I want to sell) is that we lose the following senior players this summer:

- Kelleher
- Adrian
- Matip
- Tsimikas
- Thiago
- Salah
- One of Nunez or Diaz (probably Diaz as he's seemingly attracting more interest) but definitely not both.

That leaves us needing a backup GK, a CB, a LB, and potentially 2 forwards. So a mini-upheaval but not a huge one. I'd personally love us to test Newcastle's, Palace's and Wolve's resolve for Isak, Olise and Ait Nouri respectively.
Well transfer nerds I am ready to give my scouting report from the Copenhagen match  ;D

Rooney didn't come on, and generally other than one brilliant cross wing play was not great

BUT

Who did catch the eye was a lad called Orri Óskarsson. He played for 37 minutes from the bench and scored a hatrick - a great instinctive near post header, a brilliantly finished sliding finish, and an excellent daisy cutter shot from just outside the area.

Played the line well, good with the header, pretty quick, some real meat passes.

19 year old Icelandic striker, from what I can see has scored 12 goals from an equivalent of 17 games in minutes in all competitions.

To me the ideal low risk high reward signing as he would cost very little and could be very very good, and if he isn't, doesn't mean much for us
I think there is a significant amount of united supporters who would much rather City win it than Arsenal.

It'll only be the Manchester area United fans who give a fuck about City anyway and that's only because they'll have to work with some. Their wider fanbase won't care (but all hate us). They had more of a rivalry with Arsenal in the 2000s than with City but that died down.

Only real variable in the mix is they won't want City winning 4 in a row because they never did and it hasn't been done before in England. Same way last season City winning the treble stopped them being the only club to do so in England.

Joao Gomes from Wolves is really a very good player.
Maybe he's including himself in that statement.  :D
We all have these internal wranglings from time to time ;D
He is right though, its both boxes where we have done poorly this past month. Cant score much and letting in goals easily.
A team is a system.

If we're stronger in the middle then we concede  fewer chances and the game is more "one-way traffic".
Media and Arts / Re: Only connect...
« Last post by Wabaloolah on Today at 07:10:11 pm »
Connections
Puzzle #322
🟪🟪🟪🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟦🟦🟦🟦
I'm not sure you can give Trent and Salah the freedom we do now and not have a 6 who's priority is stopping counters + covering space. Although also maybe at the point of whether we can do that with one as well
Of course it goes on, but it shouldn't be allowed to especially in such a high profile role.

As for those external interviews, they usually happen because legally HR have to open up the process even if only for appearances' sake. Thing is, there's no suggestion we even considered the likes of Steidten, Mitchell, Pinto, Zorc etc. never mind interviewed them.

The thing we don’t know is what we wanted from the position. For all we hark on about transfer records and so on, the club might be looking at Hughes and saying he’s a great cultural fit, he’s got experience dealing with big agents and he’s a good fit with the existing recruitment team at the club. Those people you named all have big reputations at different clubs, but imagine the upheaval it would have caused if we brought one in and they wanted to bring their own people in? Or they didn’t want to work under Edwards for whatever reason?

It’s easy to just measure transfer records and say they’re shite, they’re good, but I imagine it’s one of so many responsibilities the position has. It’s the one we put the most emphasis on but I imagine most clubs (United aside) are interested in every aspect of the job, not just “what’s your transfer record?”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10