Author Topic: The iTunes / iPod help thread.  (Read 110473 times)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: Ipod question?
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2007, 07:27:01 pm »
iTunes asks you to upgrade every fucking 2 weeks.

iTunes improves regularly and gives free upgrades about quaterly.

I'm not sure how anyone can see this as a problem?

If you really don't want new features, just turn off the auto upgrade.

pisses me off theres no current playlist or now playing window. so start playing an album then go looking round your library for what to play next, then it just stops after the current track. thats annoying

Don't you know how to make playlists, or even better, smart playlists? Genuine question - I'll tell you how if you don't know

There IS a now playing window, and, unless you only have one track in a playlist, it will automatically play the next track. And, if you set up your itunes properly, you should NEVER need to go into the library to look for anything as you'll have playlists automatically generating (and even live updating) for anything you've put on

And I'm not being rude, but seriously, people. We're all on a forum on the internet, so there is some inferred knowledge of how software and computers work that we've managed to get on here - it just seems weird that people come on going "itunes doesn't do this" when it does, and it's very easy to make it do these things? 9 out of 10 itunes complaints I see are a simple check box in preferences to tailor the program the way you want it.

???

My Creative Zen Touch looks to be giving up the ghost after 4 years of loyal service. Was thinking about an iPod, but all my music's saved as WMA's, how easy woud it be to convet about 12gigs in to a usable format?

very easy. Depends if you're on mac or PC, but on mac I use an excellent free program called Podworks for this kind of thing. Would be a simple drop them on it before you go to bed, and it'd be done by the time you got up.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:30:11 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2007, 07:37:46 pm »
itunes > preferences > advanced > importing > import using > mp3

:wave

all you had to do was ask.

It's the defaults that I object to. And it updates more frequently than quarterly. I like the jukebox thing though.  :P

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2007, 07:38:23 pm »
full podcast support
proper audiobook support
proper id3 tag editing
store for buying music / getting free podcasts
easy to use
customisable
isn't crap
and so on

Really - WMP is horrific. There are lots of good ones out there, not just iunes, but WMP is muck.

Ya itunes is great for podcasts, but that's about the only thing it has over WMP. The whole layout and setup of WMP is much nicer and well....just better.

And how customisable is it? If your not on a Mac?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:41:28 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2007, 07:41:03 pm »
it just seems weird that people come on going "itunes doesn't do this" when it does, and it's very easy to make it do these things? 9 out of 10 itunes complaints I see are a simple check box in preferences to tailor the program the way you want it.

There are other LFC messageboards that I don't use because I don't like or get the software that they use. People perceive things in different ways and have an empathy with some products and not others. I like my Macbook, but I don't get on at all well with iTunes; it's not empathetic to my way of thinking, and I think some of it's defaults are irritatingly Mac oriented for a programme that is attempting to work across different platforms. :wave

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07:19 pm »
very easy. Depends if you're on mac or PC, but on mac I use an excellent free program called Podworks for this kind of thing. Would be a simple drop them on it before you go to bed, and it'd be done by the time you got up.
What about for us in the real world who own PC's?;)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2007, 08:16:03 pm »
What about for us in the real world who own PC's?;)

actually, it's not podworks - that's the one for getting songs off an ipod not linked to thecomputer.

The software i was meaning is switch, and it's available for mac and PC

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Switch can open files in the following formats:

* wav (PCM, ADPCM+, aLaw+, uLaw+, and others)
    * mp3 (MPEG Layer 3)
    * mp2+ (MPEG Layer 2)
    * mpga+ (MPEG Audio)
    * au
    * aif/aiff
    * gsm
    * dct
    * vox
    * raw
    * ogg
    * flac
    * amr
    * wma*
    * wmv*
    * aac* (not aacPlus)
    * m4a*
    * mid+
    * act/rcd/rec+ (newer version of format not supported)
    * rm / ra / ram+
    * dvf+ (Not all dvf recorders are supported)
    * msv+ (Not all msv recorders are supported)
    * dss+ (SP Mode only)
    * sri+
    * shn+
    * cda+
    * mov !
    * avi+
    * mpg/mpeg+
    * .m3u+^
    * .pls+^

* Copy protected files are not decoded
+ Windows only
! Mac OS X only
^ Playlists

Switch can save files to the following formats:

* wav (PCM, ADPCM+, aLaw+, uLaw+, and others, see here)
    * mp3
    * au
    * aif/aiff
    * gsm
    * vox
    * raw
    * ogg
    * flac
    * .rss
    * .m3u^
    * .pls^
    * .wpl
    * .amr+
    * aac+
    * m4a+
    * wma+
    * .mov!
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2007, 08:24:50 pm »
It's the defaults that I object to. And it updates more frequently than quarterly. I like the jukebox thing though.  :P

everything has defaults, though, and it's easily got round.

itunes 7 : 12-09-07 : Video playback/purchasing improvements, iPod games, Major GUI changes, gapless playback, sync purchased content from iPod to computer, Cover Flow added.
7.1 : 04-03-07 : Apple TV support, additional 2G shuffle support, GUI improvements, fixes Windows Vista issues, full-screen Cover Flow.
7.2 : 29-05-07 : Fully supports Vista,[50] iTunes Plus introduced with 256 kbit/s DRM-free music tracks,[51] iTunes U introduced which offers free content from some of the top universities around the United States.[52] Also included GUI Update for Windows Vista
7.3 : 29-06-07 : Support for iPhone activation/syncing
7.4 : 06-09-07 : Support for iPod touch, classic (6G), nano (3G), and adds interface art for new iPod shuffle colours. GUI improvements.
7.5 : 05-11-07 : Allows activation of iPhones outside of the United States wherever activation is available, (e.g. United Kingdom and Germany) as well as security and stability fixes. Also included is a GUI update for Leopard, and the ability to add custom ringtones for free.[61] Includes support for iPod Game Phase. Shows iPod battery level in source list

Roughly quaterly, and all upgrades that offered genuine improvements for most people :wave

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2007, 10:18:13 am »

Don't you know how to make playlists, or even better, smart playlists? Genuine question - I'll tell you how if you don't know

There IS a now playing window, and, unless you only have one track in a playlist, it will automatically play the next track. And, if you set up your itunes properly, you should NEVER need to go into the library to look for anything as you'll have playlists automatically generating (and even live updating) for anything you've put on

Yes I do know how to set them up. What I want is what is in most other media players. Just a temporary queue, without having to make a playlist. I did use to use playlists to do it, but its too irritating and I dont want to keep them just have them on the fly (yes i know i can delete them). And I dont want itunes to tell me what to listen to either, I'd rather decide myself.

The only thing close to a temp queue is the party shuffle thing, by setting that to bring in 0 tracks automatically and dragging your own tracks onto it.

funny how if it exists someone wrote an apple script to emlutae the behaviour I want: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070419104324966

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2007, 12:33:47 pm »
Yes I do know how to set them up. What I want is what is in most other media players. Just a temporary queue, without having to make a playlist. I did use to use playlists to do it, but its too irritating and I dont want to keep them just have them on the fly (yes i know i can delete them). And I dont want itunes to tell me what to listen to either, I'd rather decide myself.

The only thing close to a temp queue is the party shuffle thing, by setting that to bring in 0 tracks automatically and dragging your own tracks onto it.

funny how if it exists someone wrote an apple script to emlutae the behaviour I want: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070419104324966

It's clearer now what you mean!

Still, I often do that, and just have a permanent playlist called "today" on my itunes, and drop anything I want to play in it, and then delete it when I could be arsed. Because it's coming from the library or other playlists, it doesn't take up any more HD space and does no harm, and it's the work of two button presses to totally delete it to start again.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2007, 12:48:05 pm »
I'm a longstanding Winamp user and whilst looking for info on using it with an ipod I came across this guide to 10 alternatives to itunes
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2007, 01:20:13 pm »
 No you don't have to use iTunes to manage your iPod, you can use any the programs mentioned above, or use this http://www.rockbox.org, supports dragging and dropping files onto your ipod and is hugely customisable

I think we have some posibilities, no?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
Stick to WinAmp. I'd put Real Player back on my PC before I touched iTunes/ QuickTime again.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2007, 01:58:15 pm »
Stick to WinAmp. I'd put Real Player back on my PC before I touched iTunes/ QuickTime again.

Don't know how to work it either?

Offer above extends to you as well, I'll tell you how to do whatever you can't work.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2007, 02:00:16 pm »
Don't know how to work it either?

Offer above extends to you as well, I'll tell you how to do whatever you can't work.
Just because somebody doesn't like iTunes doesn't mean they don't know how to use it.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:16 pm »
Just because somebody doesn't like iTunes doesn't mean they don't know how to use it.

It does when it's mudface :D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2007, 04:46:19 pm »
Ah got you. Yes the flash based 8gig does look good and the mp3 player I'd previously had my eyes on was the 60gig Zen vision, which incorporates a radio and got excellent reviews. However it looks as if Apple have taken a stride forward with the new classic and with a discount code I got it for £135 which seems pretty reasonable compared to what else is out there.

I've got stacks of music covering a broad range and as I'd like this to take on holiday etc can't see myself being satisfied with 8 gigs, even though years ago that would've seemed an amazing amount of music to carry around!

£135?! That does seem good actually... thought they'd be much more expensive. Might see if I can root out a similar price. Haven't got nearly enough music to fill it, but I suppose I could put some vids on it.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2007, 05:05:04 pm »
£135?! That does seem good actually... thought they'd be much more expensive. Might see if I can root out a similar price. Haven't got nearly enough music to fill it, but I suppose I could put some vids on it.

I got mine from Play.com where they're currently £150. However yesterday I saw a voucher for an additional 10% discount which took it down to 135. I'll easily fill it, the only difficult will be deciding how much space I leave for videos!
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:58 am »
I'm hopefully going to get one for christmas to replace my 4gb ipod mini. I only use it in the car but I have it all built in through the glovebox. Beats a CD changer!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:09 pm »
I got mine from Play.com where they're currently £150. However yesterday I saw a voucher for an additional 10% discount which took it down to 135. I'll easily fill it, the only difficult will be deciding how much space I leave for videos!

Ah right, sounds good that, sticking a few episodes of Only Fools, Curb Your Enthusiasm, favourite football matches... could fill that ipod up nicely!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
Yep I don't think I could spend more than half an hour watching a screen that size so some comedy may be just the ticket.

Another question. I'm now looking for a case to protect the ipod. Ebay has a choice between silicon and leather. Which do people recommend? Which gives best protection?

Offline Annoyed Grunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2007, 01:28:02 pm »
Another question. I'm now looking for a case to protect the ipod. Ebay has a choice between silicon and leather. Which do people recommend? Which gives best protection?

Ipod Case

You can get it cheaper than direct from them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:43:57 am by Annoyed Grunt »

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2007, 11:00:21 am »
Getting a 160gb iPod classic at Christmas but paying for about 50% of it. The whole product of a broken home thing works wonders at this time of year, and it's been a properly shit few months so I'm going to wallow in materialism.

What volume boosters work well with the new ones? I like my hearing damaged.

my ipod mini is still going strong after about 3 years.

iPod minis are invincible, loads of people I know are still using theirs from years ago. My G3 lasted for years, and the second hand, beaten up iPod photo I got for a ridiculous price off eBay two summers ago lasted quite a while.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2007, 04:35:45 pm »
Ah right, sounds good that, sticking a few episodes of Only Fools, Curb Your Enthusiasm, favourite football matches... could fill that ipod up nicely!

did ya get the Zen in the end? I bought one as a gift there. Had a mess around with it. Great little player. Will have to get one for myself at some stage.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2007, 05:29:44 pm »
Nope not yet... I think I will in the next few days though- just waiting to catch my dad at a time when he'll give me the credit card  :P

Is the navigation fast and easy? Load up times etc? I would have ordered it earlier but been a bit weary of some issues of freezing etc (amazon reviews). It seems that for those who it works for give it 4/5 out of 5, but then there's those whose player froze on them after a few minutes of use...

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2007, 06:00:23 pm »
Nope not yet... I think I will in the next few days though- just waiting to catch my dad at a time when he'll give me the credit card  :P

Is the navigation fast and easy? Load up times etc? I would have ordered it earlier but been a bit weary of some issues of freezing etc (amazon reviews). It seems that for those who it works for give it 4/5 out of 5, but then there's those whose player froze on them after a few minutes of use...

Ya i find the navigation much smoother and responsive than my iPod. Very easy to get used to too. Haven't hadit freezing on me or anything. There was a few firmware updates i installed after plugging it into the pc, so maybe they've cleared up some of the issues people were having.

I was expecting it to be able to play avi's too. But of the ones I've tried i've had to convert them using the converter that comes as part of the software.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2007, 06:56:57 pm »
i have an iPod touch and it's a thing of serious beauty :lickin

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2007, 12:15:55 am »
Ya i find the navigation much smoother and responsive than my iPod. Very easy to get used to too. Haven't hadit freezing on me or anything. There was a few firmware updates i installed after plugging it into the pc, so maybe they've cleared up some of the issues people were having.

I was expecting it to be able to play avi's too. But of the ones I've tried i've had to convert them using the converter that comes as part of the software.

Nice.

On the firmware updates; what were they for? I think that's been a cause for concern for some people- they update the firmware, then the player freezes and Creative won't get back to them on how to fix it (aparently the forums on the Creative website are full of these problems after update). I hope they have sorted it, and it's not just a lottery as to whether you get a fully working player or a dud...

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:59 am »
Nice.

On the firmware updates; what were they for? I think that's been a cause for concern for some people- they update the firmware, then the player freezes and Creative won't get back to them on how to fix it (aparently the forums on the Creative website are full of these problems after update). I hope they have sorted it, and it's not just a lottery as to whether you get a fully working player or a dud...

It's always the same though. Generally the minority who have problems go crazy whereas the majority who have no problems say nothing, because why would they. So it ends up looking like the things a dud. It's the same on the iPod forums.

The firmware is just something that updates the software on the player, same way the ps3 firmware works. Don't know what they might of added as i didn't really use the thing pre firmware update.

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2007, 04:51:12 pm »
i have an iPod touch and it's a thing of serious beauty :lickin

Ya!  Got one yesterday for meself for Xmas :)  Wot a lovely bit of kit!
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
Re: The iTunes / iPod help thread.
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2007, 04:56:36 pm »
Anyone use the Last.FM plugin for ITunes?  I bought an IPod Touch yesterday - have installed and am now getting used to ITunes, having never used it before.  Anyways I visited Last.FM and downloaded the plugin, installed it, but nowt seems to happen?  Is there anywhere in ITunes where you can configure plugins etc.

Running latest version of ITunes on Vista Ultimate if it helps...

:)
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2007, 04:57:22 pm »
Most people have WMP anyway, so you can use what you have; no need to install more software in the shape of itunes. Greater range of file support. Sounds better (by all accounts I've read).

I'm about to get the Zen instead of a nano- it has an FM radio (which I'd definitely use a lot), sounds better (will get a pair of decent earphones with it as well), is expandable, supports way more files, and syncs with WMP easily.

Have had 2 Zens (The touch and the vision).. Touch lasted ages. Vision = was in my pocket when i decided to go for a few drinks :no
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2007, 09:05:09 am »
Just going to try to put a DVD onto an iPod
I have never done this, but what I have found out so far this is the procedure... Can anyone add to this? thanks...

1 Rip the DVD
2. Use a iPod Video Converter such as jodixfri or curusoft
3. Then use itunes to import the converted file...

Sounds simple, but I doubt it is...

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2007, 10:05:10 am »
Handbreak is good, very good in fact

Handbreak

Just takes some time, is all.

Good luck

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2007, 11:00:36 am »
Handbreak is good, very good in fact

Handbreak

Just takes some time, is all.

Good luck
That wasnt difficult...

I downloaded both dvd encryptor and videora.
DVD Encryptor ripped the DVD to a file on the PC. Then Videora automatically converted the file to ipod/itunes format and imorted it automatically on itunes. All I have to do now is sync with ipod. Total time less than 1 hour... no experience... a doddle!a

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2007, 12:53:12 pm »
Right might be the most asked question with these things but can anybody send me in the right direction to a convertor so i can stick videos on my itunes?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2007, 12:58:02 pm »

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2007, 06:00:44 pm »
That wasnt difficult...

I downloaded both dvd encryptor and videora.
DVD Encryptor ripped the DVD to a file on the PC. Then Videora automatically converted the file to ipod/itunes format and imorted it automatically on itunes. All I have to do now is sync with ipod. Total time less than 1 hour... no experience... a doddle!a

Mind me asking where you get the above mentioned software?

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2007, 07:30:49 pm »
Mind me asking where you get the above mentioned software?
No problem...

DVD Decrypter here... http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/
IPod converter... http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/download.php

Really easy to follow and on the Videora website, it is really easy to follow the provided guide.
Dead simple for a iTunes novice like myself. Worked 1st time with a full length DVD.

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2007, 08:24:03 pm »
Maybe it's vista, but when iTunes loads up the screen is black and the visible text is inverted until I minimize and maximize again. Although not that big a deal, it is annoying, how can I get around it?