Author Topic: The Kirkby Thread  (Read 57623 times)

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
Re: Shooting In Kirkby Yesterday
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2008, 02:29:11 pm »
Thanks Red_in_Holland :)

Johnny was the first to tell me about the story about the Liverpool supporter who brought a sheep back on the coach from a game in Yorkshire back in the sixties, I later heard someone on Jacko's radio programme also tell it. Apparently he pinched it from a field next to a pub on the way back from a game. The fella concerned put a string of ties around it's neck and got off on Queens Drive and walked off with it like a dog, what he did with the sheep later on was anybody's guess.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
WW2 Bombs found in Kirkby
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:09 pm »
There has been explosions going off in Kirkby all afternoon, according to my neighboor the police knocked before and said seventeen WW2 bombs have been found on the site were the new school is being built on St Kevins field. :o

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
Re: WW2 Bombs found in Kirkby
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:52 pm »
Well that explains why its a shit hole

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:21 pm »

You clearly never had annual fortnight holidays in Northwood?  Lovely part of the world, bettered only by the day trips to New Brighton.

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:54 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/06/30/workmen-find-second-world-war-grenades-on-kirkby-building-site-100252-24038489/

Workmen find Second World War grenades on Kirkby building site

Jun 30 2009 By Vicki Kellway
Add a comment
Recommend

ASTONISHED workmen found several Second World War grenades buried on their building site.

Army experts destroyed the hand held bombs in a series of controlled explosions at the site in Roughwood Drive, Kirkby.

Police were called shortly after 2pm and the grenades were all destroyed by the early evening.

Residents were warned to expect bangs and keep their windows closed as smoke wafted over a nearby housing estate.

One said: "I heard a bang and had no idea what it was, I thought it was a bomb but quickly thought that couldn't be the case.

"I came outside and everyone was standing around with all this smoke in the air.

"There's been lots of rumours about the site being used previously as a munitions factory."

A police spokesman said the explosions posed no risk to the public.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: July 1, 2009, 05:43:02 am »
Used to do cross country in the winter over the back fields behind St Kevin's, that was early 60's mind.
Fond memories of that school  :-X

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 1, 2009, 07:03:42 am »
There are far worse places than Kirkby, we all can't live in the beautiful south..

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #127 on: July 1, 2009, 08:02:07 am »
Used to do cross country in the winter over the back fields behind St Kevin's, that was early 60's mind.
Fond memories of that school  :-X

My old man went there - was St Kevins the High School or Primary?  And is/was it the one near the row of shops (nice fishcakes in the chippy on the end?).

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #128 on: July 1, 2009, 12:31:46 pm »
It's not a rumour, or shouldn't be, it's a fact if the lazy arse journalists could be bothered to do a bit of simple research.

I had an Aunt who worked there but the trouble is, most of the people who would remember it would be well into their 80's now if they are still alive and no one bothers speaking to them.

Yep, a 743 acre Royal Ordnance site employing 20,000 people at its peak during the 2nd world war. 10% of all ammunition produced in Britain during the War was made there and also shells and grenades made elsewhere were filled there.

look here... http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/show_photo.msql?reference=KB98&search=12

"The machine shop for the Royal Ordnance Factory. To cater for the medical welfare of the large workforce treatment rooms were also provided onsite. When completed the factory consisted of more than 1,000 buildings, 18 miles of roads, 7 miles of which could be classified as main roads, and 23 miles of railway lines with a station for personnel and shunting sidings for goods. Due to the processes involved in explosive filling, the buildings were widely spaced and in some cases were mounded up to the eaves to minimise the effect in the event of an explosion taking place. A three shift system was employed in the factory so that continuous production was maintained, and the transport which carried the workers to to the factory, instead of returning empty, could wait to pick up the people who were coming off duty. ...... The first shell came off the production line in September 1940. There were only between 50 and 100 employees when it first opened. The factory cost over £8,500,000. By the summer of 1941, 10,000 people were employed, rising to a peak of 20,000, most of whom were women. Many staff were transfered from Woolwich after that was bombed. A Y.W.C.A. hostel was built next to Kirkby station for 1,000 women"
http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/show_photo.msql?reference=KB103&search=12
http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/show_photo.msql?reference=KB82&search=12
http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/show_photo.msql?reference=KB80&search=12

"View of the Main Gate to the Royal Ordnance Factory from the South West showing the trams. With so many employees coming from Liverpool, the Corporation had to extend its bus and tram services to the factory, buying old buses from London to fill the gaps. Until 1943 they were marked 'Simonswood' to confuse saboteurs."

It was huge, in fact the whole of Kirkby, and I expect there may well be a lot more things just waiting to be dug up or hit with an unsuspecting spade, but we wouldn't want to panic people would we.

It's the reason why the site was chosen for the new housing in the late 50's, it was cheap if not free and no other bugger wanted it as it was what these days would be called contaminated land.

There was also a huge factory at Fazakerley were the vast majority of sten guns were made.

And though it's not Kirkby, but if you look here,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.435138,-2.940624&spn=0.005593,0.012048&t=h&z=17
a munitions train that was on fire was shunted out to this spot, the driver got a George Cross for it, and it then blew up, devastating the houses round about, I believe that's why the fields are there now, and scattering unexploded shells all over this area, many still to be found!
« Last Edit: July 1, 2009, 01:09:37 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 1, 2009, 01:21:13 pm »
My old man went there - was St Kevins the High School or Primary?  And is/was it the one near the row of shops (nice fishcakes in the chippy on the end?).

It was for 11 and up, one of the first comprehensives, no shops around there, at least not at that time.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2009, 01:49:15 pm by L12 »

Offline cookie8

• Exchange Ban
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Anyone live in Kirkby?
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:10 pm »
Hi

Anyone live in Kirkby near Pennine way?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Anyone live in Kirkby?
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »
What you after mate? I don't live in Kirkby but I'm not a million miles away.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2014, 02:24:09 pm »
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2014, 02:29:20 pm »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »
Here you go mate, as mentioned in the PM.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

Offline cookie8

• Exchange Ban
  • Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »
the pic ive been sent has fortress GB in top right

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
What's going on?
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:45 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2014, 04:05:16 pm »
Sounds dodgy, ask him to send a pic of his kipper, I'll know if he's a a wrongun.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24:45 pm »
Sounds dodgy, ask him to send a pic of his kipper, I'll know if he's a a wrongun.

Everyone in Kirkby is a wrongun.

;)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2014, 11:38:39 pm »
Everyone in Kirkby is a wrongun.

;)

I resemble that remark!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:58 pm »
What the fuck is this about?

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2014, 11:48:26 pm »
I resemble that remark!

I can't say nothing mate, I'm 5 minutes up the next junction :D

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2014, 01:10:42 am »
What the fuck is this about?

From a basic read then I'm guessing the OP has been offered some kind of ticket card but is suspicious of its authentic origins, and wants to compare it to an original from a recognised resident of the area.

Furthermore the OP's suspicion looks to be justified in that the picture they've seen and the one Craig has supplied have the "Fortress GB" text in differing locations, and the card being offered is therefore most likely fraudulent.

Just an (informed) guess though!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:38 am »
Good guess  ;D

The guy will only send a picture of the back apparently, which looks slightly different to mine. He won't send a pic of the front, even with some of the details blocked off, because he may copy it!!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2014, 01:25:41 am »
From a basic read then I'm guessing the OP has been offered some kind of ticket card but is suspicious of its authentic origins, and wants to compare it to an original from a recognised resident of the area.

Furthermore the OP's suspicion looks to be justified in that the picture they've seen and the one Craig has supplied have the "Fortress GB" text in differing locations, and the card being offered is therefore most likely fraudulent.

Just an (informed) guess though!
There's a big clue in the name of the picture Craig posted....

But about the placement of things on it, my red card has FORTRESS GB top right, and STADIACARD.COM top left. Can't quite remember, but think we changed card company a while ago, so stuff like that might depend on when it was issued.

Apart from that, maybe this thread would be better in the ticket exchange.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline cookie8

• Exchange Ban
  • Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2014, 01:35:29 am »
yes Ive been  offered  2 season tickets but sounded to good to be true.

The bloke lives in Kirkby

His name is Thomas Hunter

Ive alraedy been scammed once for Southampton tickets......my son is gutted, I cant afford to be scammed again

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2014, 01:38:19 am »
There's a big clue in the name of the picture Craig posted....

But about the placement of things on it, my red card has FORTRESS GB top right, and STADIACARD.COM top left. Can't quite remember, but think we changed card company a while ago, so stuff like that might depend on when it was issued.

Apart from that, maybe this thread would be better in the ticket exchange.

Probably but I've unfortunately never had a season ticket as I moved south before I could get one, so I'm unaware of subtleties in versions, I also didn't check the filename of the image posted, and was just offering a rough guess to such a seemingly daft and overly secretive thread.

Mea culpa and all that for offering a (n obviously uninformed) guess eh?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2014, 01:48:58 am »
Probably but I've unfortunately never had a season ticket as I moved south before I could get one, so I'm unaware of subtleties in versions, I also didn't check the filename of the image posted, and was just offering a rough guess to such a seemingly daft and overly secretive thread.

Mea culpa and all that for offering a (n obviously uninformed) guess eh?
I don't have one either. Just think stuff like that changes. :-)

Anyway, cookie8, if you don't want to be scammed, don't buy of touts. The general sale for Southampton is still to come, and there'll probably also be an exchange thread once it's sold out.

Also, if you ask for tickets outside the exchange threads (the mods start those), you'll get a ban on here.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2014, 11:35:37 am »
A picture of a card means absolutely nothing. In fact the card itself means very little.

They can be stopped and re-issued at any time.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:23 pm »
You got scammed off a tout once? So you're doing it again!?!?!?!?!?!!

I thought I had sympathy for you but come the fuck on. Report the ST selling c*nt to the club and watch it on the bastard TV.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Kirkby Thread
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:10 am »
Phil Thompson and Dennis Mortimer, back to back school captains and then european cup winning captains. Fucking mad.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:34 pm »
Phil Thompson – Retired Liverpool Player, Former Caretaker Manager of Liverpool F.C.

Terry McDermott – Retired Liverpool and Newcastle United player

Phil Boersma – Retired  Liverpool player

Rickie Lambert - Current Liverpool F.C. Player

Mike Marsh - Former Liverpool and Southend United player. Current Liverpool coach

Dennis Mortimer who captained Aston Villa to the 1982 European Cup Final

Leighton Baines – Current Everton player, formerly of Wigan Athletic

Tommy Caton – Retired Manchester City, Arsenal, Oxford United player

Alan Stubbs – Retired Bolton Wanderers and Everton Player

Aaron McGowan - Current Morecambe F.C. Player

Jamie Jones – Current Leyton Orient Player

Paul Cook – Retired Southport manager, former Wigan Athletic and Tranmere Rovers player

Alan Dugdale – Retired Coventry City, Charlton Athletic and Barnsley player

Ken Dugdale – Retired Wigan Athletic player and former New Zealand national team manager

Craig Noone - Current Cardiff City F.C. Player

Phil Edwards - Current Burton Albion F.C. Player, Former Accrington Stanley F.C. Player

Jimmy Redfern - Former Bolton Wanderers F.C. and Chester City F.C. Player

Gary Bennett - Former Wigan Athletic F.C., Chester City F.C., Tranmere Rovers F.C. and Preston North End F.C. Player

George Donnelly - Current Rochdale A.F.C. Player

John Conteh - Boxer, 1970 commonwealth games middleweight Gold medalist. Former WBC Light Heavyweight crown holder.
Paul Hodkinson - Boxer, Former WBC Featherweight Title Holder.

Beat that Crocky  8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »

( can you think of any other Kirkby Bands ?)

Mick the cat. Well he has a regular weekend slot anyway

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:19 am »
You missed Fat Scouser, he's Mayor of Bournemouth.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 1, 2015, 08:07:40 pm »
I went out with a bird from Kirkby when I was in my teens. I think it was St Kev's she went to. Anyway, we were chatting and I said that I'd had a hard life at school compared to her, because she was in a mixed school and mine was all boys and most of the boys were nobheads. She says to me "You had a hard fucking life at school? I sat next to the lad who was the cock of the school, and I had to wank him off nearly every day for five years!" We were sat on one of the benches in The Oak, and she nearly  pissed herself when I asked her if she'd like to move to one of the tables and show me what she learnt at school.

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #158 on: February 6, 2015, 02:21:13 am »
I went out with a bird from Kirkby when I was in my teens. I think it was St Kev's she went to. Anyway, we were chatting and I said that I'd had a hard life at school compared to her, because she was in a mixed school and mine was all boys and most of the boys were nobheads. She says to me "You had a hard fucking life at school? I sat next to the lad who was the cock of the school, and I had to wank him off nearly every day for five years!" We were sat on one of the benches in The Oak, and she nearly  pissed herself when I asked her if she'd like to move to one of the tables and show me what she learnt at school.

Brilliant  ;D :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 6, 2015, 08:56:58 pm »

I hope you've got your schools mixed up as St Kevs was the all boys Catholic school.....................
Jurgen YNWA