Author Topic: London - Where to Stay?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
London - Where to Stay?
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:53 pm »
Going there next month to see Muse @ Wembley

Aint got a clue where to stay, i would like to stay in Camden but its gonna be a pain to get to there from Wembley after the concert!

Any reccomendations? I usually stay in paddington but fancy somewhere different and not too expensive! As close as possible to the underground stations aswell

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: London - Where to Stay?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »
I was half way through typing Paddington til I read the bit at the end!

When i used to work down there thats the only place we ever stayed, mainly a contractors area though still isn't too far from Camden etc

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »
Seems the best place to stay in getting round London, Theres only a northern line to Camden and i dont fancy trying to get from Wembley to Camden after the concert having looked at the underground map!

Bored of paddington though but i guess it may be the most reasonable option

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »
Going there next month to see Muse @ Wembley

Aint got a clue where to stay, i would like to stay in Camden but its gonna be a pain to get to there from Wembley after the concert!

Any reccomendations? I usually stay in paddington but fancy somewhere different and not too expensive! As close as possible to the underground stations aswell

theres nowhere to stay in london so might as well stay at home ..... but if you are staying at home can a have your tickets  ;D

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:15:40 am »
Seems the best place to stay in getting round London, Theres only a northern line to Camden and i dont fancy trying to get from Wembley to Camden after the concert having looked at the underground map!

Bored of paddington though but i guess it may be the most reasonable option

Camden is really near Kings Cross - from Wembley Park you can just get the jubilee or metropolitan along to KX and head north from there (about 10-15 minutes gentle walk or a quick 5 minute cab ride, or there will be a bus that goes up from KX to Camden). There's probably an overground line that goes directly across too, but I've not used that one.

Looking at the Tube Map can give a very very distorted view of how far away different parts of London are - generally in Central London the tube stops are all a lot closer in reality than the map makes them seem, and vice versa once you get out into the suburbs.

What time is the concert over anyway? The tubes will probably stop running around 12.30-1am depending on where you are, so it may be an idea to stay somewhere nearer to Wembley anyway...
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:31:07 am »
Ive stayed near wembley before and its a shithole!

I went to watch U2 last year at wembley and stayed in paddington and we got back onthe last underground of the night luckily! But we did go to a pub for ages after the concert!
But i know we will be ok getting back to Paddington from Wembley.

We could always get the underground as close as possible to Camden and get a taxi like you said!

Could you reccomend any decent hotels in Camden?

Nearly every single Hotel in paddington thats on trip advisor have had people complaining of small shabby roooms and bed bugs lol I have stayed in paddington 3 times before and the hotels wernt too bad although 1 was a quality crown hotel but i had the money then to pay for it!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:42:54 am »
It may be easier to stay further out from the centre than Wembley. Look at the London Overground trains. The hotels tend to get more reliable as you get out from the centre.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/watford-junction-to-euston.pdf

I concur that Wembley is not the greatest place to stay.

Have you considered Watford or Harrow?

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:43 am »
We really fancied staying in center of london, Although would be easy to stay in Watford or Harrow as our train from here will pass through watford junction en route to Euston, We will get there on a thursday and plan to do some nosying round london and drinking at night thats why i mentioned Camden

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »
just get the train home after the concert,best option
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 08:19:22 am »
just get the train home after the concert,best option
i live in Bangor,North Wales

Besides i fancy a few days away with the missus

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:22:14 am »
What about Marylebone? Easy to get to from Wembley and close to Oxford St/Baker St/West End etc. A bit close to Paddington though so maybe close to where you have stayed before?

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 08:38:52 am »
I have considered Marlybone because its still close to everywhere i need to go and quite central

Marlybone to Camden Town is only 11minutes on the tube, and marlybone to wembley is only 14minutes so its quite good

Anyone reccomend any hotels there though?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 08:44:39 am »

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:48 am »
£250 max i reckon

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »
I stay here when in London.  It is across the street from the Lancaster Gate Tube station on the Central line and a short walk to the Paddington train/tube station.

http://www.londonelizabethhotel.co.uk/index.php

LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:04 am »
Marylebone to Wembley Stadium Station on that overhead train is ridiculously fast!

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 05:24:55 pm »
Think im gonna have to concede to staying in paddington, Stick to what i know i guess, And Wembley,Camden and Euston arnt that far away so its all good

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 11:33:22 pm »
I'm currently down here for the weekend with the missus. Got in at the Tower Bridge Hilton for £95/night excluding breakfast. The hotel is very good to be fair. The rooms are excellent, and the service top notch. Location is fab too, only 2 mins to London Bridge tube, and you have a load of excursions all around you already. There's an M&S food 10 seconds away too that is open till 10pm, handy for getting a few cheaper bevies or bottles of wine in.

Would recommend it to anyone, and there's a direct train for the tube to Wembley Park tube stop. I was there yesterday for the challenge cup final.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 07:47:57 am »
How the hell did you get it so cheap? I just looked to get a quote, £189 a night!

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 12:26:28 pm »
How the hell did you get it so cheap? I just looked to get a quote, £189 a night!

You're right, rates are through the roof for that weekend. Just had a quick scan for you, based on 2 nights when Muse are playing. Three good hotels around your budget jump out at me, Club Quarters St Pauls, Hilton Canary Wharf, De Vere Devonport House.

The latter is Greenwich/Cutty Sark which is a bit out to be honest though...but it's a nice hotel mind. Hilton Canary Wharf is a bit out but it's a two min walk to the tube, and it's direct to Wembley Park 35-40 mins on Jubilee Line.

Club Quarters St Pauls is probably your best bet. I've stayed at all three mentioned and can vouch for them.

Booking.com is showing them at £230-250 for two nights. :wave

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #20 on: September 8, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
Wish id look at this before telling my missus to book the hotel while i was on holiday, Got a hotel in sussex gardens,paddington for £250 with breakfast not too bad

Cheers anyway mate ill defo keep them for future reference though!  8)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #21 on: September 8, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »
Wish id look at this before telling my missus to book the hotel while i was on holiday, Got a hotel in sussex gardens,paddington for £250 with breakfast not too bad

Cheers anyway mate ill defo keep them for future reference though!  8)

Don't tell her to get too tarted up - popular with the prossies there I think (so I read somewhere!).

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #22 on: September 8, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »
I stay with my brother. He lives in South London but is quite well served by buses and it doesn't take long to get anywhere.

I realise that this is no use to you whatsoever but just thought I'd mention it.
Legacy fan

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #23 on: September 8, 2010, 11:06:59 pm »
Check out www.booking.com and www.venere.com

Plenty of bargains there. Also check www.tripadvisor.com for reviews of potential hotels.
Love Ren & Stimpy