Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 450637 times)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #1480 on: November 13, 2018, 12:10:54 am »
A Tardis-like Swiss bridge connecting midfield and attack. He's also the best argument for why Coutinho's role didn't leave with Coutinho. We still need someone to overload, flit about, and push the needle into unpredictability. When he is on the pitch, it is when, without him, it is if.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1481 on: November 13, 2018, 02:43:09 am »
He had me when he shot the fitness guy with his fingers on day one. Brill. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1482 on: November 18, 2018, 09:32:05 pm »
Having a cracking game against Belgium. The wee flick for the last goal is sublime!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1483 on: November 18, 2018, 09:34:32 pm »
He’s exceptional, gotta find a place for him away from home with the other 3.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1484 on: November 18, 2018, 09:39:02 pm »
He played really well tonight,class performance.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1485 on: November 18, 2018, 09:40:01 pm »
:wellin lad, :wellin

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1486 on: November 18, 2018, 10:05:59 pm »
needs to start for us... he has been outstanding.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1487 on: November 18, 2018, 10:07:55 pm »
Keep at it Shaq!

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1488 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:05 am »
He really is becoming difficult to leave out of the starting 11. He is truly on form at the moment, not something you can really say about anyone else in the front 6 positions for us. He's probably exceeding expectations at this point and providing quite the nice headache for the boss. Find a place for him and let him run riot I say. Love him.

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: November 19, 2018, 03:39:00 am »
Don't think it'd hurt to swap out Mane for a while. Could probably use the competition to really focus him, while also benefiting from a bit of rest. Feel that Mane and Shaqiri are both 'form' type of players that can be a bit inconsistent at times. Play the one in form and we'll always be right.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1490 on: November 19, 2018, 10:03:30 am »
Surely we have to find a way to put him in the team with our front 3. He is also not afraid to let one go from long range (something which will help us against those park the trailer teams).
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:06 am »
What position does he play for the Swiss? I would have him in as a 10 against Watford, hard to leave him out at the moment.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1492 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:54 am »
that left foot is sweet
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: November 19, 2018, 11:58:49 am »
Saw MrBoywunder's montage on last nights game.

He looked brilliant, So want to see Klopp play him as the #10, Salivating just thinking what he can do with those passes to our front 3.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BEcyLUrufvI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BEcyLUrufvI</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: November 19, 2018, 11:59:42 am »
Based on form, he should be starting games. It's just about where and at whose expense. He hasn't really played as number 10 since Southampton I think.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1495 on: November 19, 2018, 12:45:52 pm »

He looked brilliant, So want to see Klopp play him as the #10, Salivating just thinking what he can do with those passes to our front 3.

I was at the match yesterday, he looked marvellous to be honest, never seen him play better. He improved so much in his workrate and his behavior in physical duels. Before playing for us, he often just got manhandled - that isn't happening anymore.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:33 pm »
The flick for the goal. Filth!

Love when skill used for effect and not for the Gram

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1497 on: November 19, 2018, 03:17:06 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BEcyLUrufvI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BEcyLUrufvI</a>

What a game!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: November 19, 2018, 05:43:27 pm »
The flick for the goal. Filth!

Love when skill used for effect and not for the Gram

Yea, that was boss

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1499 on: November 19, 2018, 06:57:47 pm »
Watched the game last night. The Cube was sensational.

He's banging the door down at the moment. Surely has to start at Watford

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1500 on: November 19, 2018, 07:29:19 pm »

See the way their midfielders drill the ball right into him, we need more of that - speeds the game right up as he's good enough to turn fast and move play on
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #1501 on: November 19, 2018, 10:27:24 pm »

Wow!
Sensational performance.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline lemons

• Main Stander
« Reply #1502 on: November 20, 2018, 11:22:28 am »
Am I stretching it to say he has been the best signing we made this summer? Looks unreal. Reminds me of Alexis Sanchez a couple of years ago, at times. Don't want to overdo it but he looks like a pure creative genius on the pitch. Bargain

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: November 20, 2018, 11:45:21 am »
Watching that clip I would could he play a kinda false 9 role similar to Bobby?  He is very good at receiving the ball and turning and is as strong as an ox.  Could he sometimes drop into the central role that Bobby plays and his movement will create space for the 2 wider me?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1504 on: November 20, 2018, 11:52:58 am »
Am I stretching it to say he has been the best signing we made this summer? Looks unreal. Reminds me of Alexis Sanchez a couple of years ago, at times. Don't want to overdo it but he looks like a pure creative genius on the pitch. Bargain

Was always going to be a bargain at that price.  The lad is and has always been a seriously talented footballer.  For most, that was never in doubt.

What was in doubt for many was the fact that he moved to Stoke and stayed there for a few seasons.

He was coveted all over Europe, moved to big big clubs.  Ended up at Stoke.  But he always shone there too.

He had his reasons for going there.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  And it worked for him, and us.  We'd never have got him at that price had he not been at Stoke.

And I think the experience has probably helped him mature as a player too, which has added great things to his already undoubtable ability.

Brilliant brilliant player.

Offline lemons

• Main Stander
« Reply #1505 on: November 20, 2018, 11:58:48 am »
Was always going to be a bargain at that price.  The lad is and has always been a seriously talented footballer.  For most, that was never in doubt.

What was in doubt for many was the fact that he moved to Stoke and stayed there for a few seasons.

He was coveted all over Europe, moved to big big clubs.  Ended up at Stoke.  But he always shone there too.

He had his reasons for going there.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  And it worked for him, and us.  We'd never have got him at that price had he not been at Stoke.

And I think the experience has probably helped him mature as a player too, which has added great things to his already undoubtable ability.

Brilliant brilliant player.

Think I underestimated him big time. I know he was at Bayern in Heycknes' treble season and then after that with Pep - I just kinda assumed he was a one-trick pony with that left foot of us, without ever really watching him properly, a kinda budget Robben. He's much, much more than that though. Top player

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1506 on: November 20, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »
Am I stretching it to say he has been the best signing we made this summer?
He's the only one of the new signings to have consistently impressed, so I think that would be fair enough.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1507 on: November 20, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »
Watching that clip I would could he play a kinda false 9 role similar to Bobby?  He is very good at receiving the ball and turning and is as strong as an ox.  Could he sometimes drop into the central role that Bobby plays and his movement will create space for the 2 wider me?
I've thought that a few times as a potential Bobby backup. As you mentioned above he has some of the attributes required plus he can hold the ball up, has great awareness, distribution and speed/timing of release. Not as strong in the air and not as much of a beast off the ball as Bobby (but Bobby probably beats half of the leagues 6's in those departments...). Looked good in his cameo in that role in pre-season...

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1508 on: November 20, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
https://anfieldindex.com/35548/what-to-expect-from-xherdan-shaqiri-a-statistical-analysis.html

I wrote about Shaqiri in the summer when he signed - similar to my Chamberlain thread the previous season. I felt people were pigeon holding him as a set piece expert who cuts in onto his left and shoots every chance he gets in open play. I remember getting into that on here with someone too.

Interesting reading it back now. It's good that I picked up on a few things where he would fit our style of play. Where he has really surprised me is his work rate though. He is putting in the hard yards every game and out running known work-a-holics like Hendo & Gini. I hoped that Klopp would get more out of him and he would be functional in that aspect of his game - but he has really blown me away with his work off the ball.

On the ball - it is pretty much what I had hoped for. Although racking up a goal/assist every 77 minutes as of late is probably more end product that expected. But the penetration he offers is exactly what we need and often miss.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1509 on: November 20, 2018, 03:17:51 pm »
https://anfieldindex.com/35548/what-to-expect-from-xherdan-shaqiri-a-statistical-analysis.html

I wrote about Shaqiri in the summer when he signed - similar to my Chamberlain thread the previous season. I felt people were pigeon holding him as a set piece expert who cuts in onto his left and shoots every chance he gets in open play. I remember getting into that on here with someone too.

Interesting reading it back now. It's good that I picked up on a few things where he would fit our style of play. Where he has really surprised me is his work rate though. He is putting in the hard yards every game and out running known work-a-holics like Hendo & Gini
. I hoped that Klopp would get more out of him and he would be functional in that aspect of his game - but he has really blown me away with his work off the ball.

On the ball - it is pretty much what I had hoped for. Although racking up a goal/assist every 77 minutes as of late is probably more end product that expected. But the penetration he offers is exactly what we need and often miss.

Some of us weren't in doubt about this :D

Players play to the level that's demanded of them, or they fail. Shaqiri hadn't had any demands on him at Stoke for workrate, but he put in the yards for Switzerland whenever I saw him. Plus, he's build for power, but aerobic conditioning is probably the easiest thing to improve, so he was always liable to prove the doubters wrong on that score, once he was placed under the physical demands of a Klopp team
Better looking than Samie.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1511 on: November 27, 2018, 02:22:57 pm »
He hasn't really though....

"I criticised him because I felt when we were in a dogfight, we probably needed different types of characters - a Jon Walters, a Glen Whelan - they were the types of characters we needed," he added

Shaq was far and away their best player last season and the reason they weren't relegated about a month before they actually were, and certainly no lack of effort.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: November 27, 2018, 02:28:43 pm »
Charles Adam eats another humble pie

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/charlie-adam-performs-xherdan-shaqiri-15464860

He's not wrong that they missed Glenn Whelan, mostly because Whelan would have kept Adam from the team.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1513 on: November 27, 2018, 02:33:29 pm »

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1514 on: November 27, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »
He's not wrong that they missed Glenn Whelan, mostly because Whelan would have kept Adam from the team.
;D

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1515 on: December 5, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »

I love the bastard but fuck me - that picture reminds me of Gollum.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1516 on: December 5, 2018, 09:50:56 pm »
Gotta love the Cube  ;D

Put one heck of a shift in again tonight, was it him that made a heck of a run tracking back late in the game and made a clean tackle?

Anyway, he was great, and a lovely goal too, well deserved. 

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: December 5, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »
Hardworking performance. Won some important balls in important moments, and brilliant goal.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: December 5, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »
Gotta love the Cube  ;D

Put one heck of a shift in again tonight, was it him that made a heck of a run tracking back late in the game and made a clean tackle?

Anyway, he was great, and a lovely goal too, well deserved. 

Yep. Beautiful all round performance. One of many intelligent performers once we had the lead.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1519 on: December 5, 2018, 10:01:00 pm »
Absolute bargain! Very happy with him!