Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279502 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #280 on: September 12, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
Hilarious how low the standards are for Mignolet now. When Karius gets in and we actually see a good goalkeeper people will realise just how awful Mignolet is.

I'm far from being Mignolet's biggest fan but he's not as bad as people make out. People want to pin blame on him for everything. The goal on Saturday was not his fault in the slightest.

IMHO, Mignolet has had a decent start to the season as well. Unless Karius is showing a lot more than Mignolet in training I'd be inclined to stick with Mignolet in the interim period.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #281 on: September 12, 2016, 08:27:13 pm »
I'm far from being Mignolet's biggest fan but he's not as bad as people make out. People want to pin blame on him for everything. The goal on Saturday was not his fault in the slightest.

IMHO, Mignolet has had a decent start to the season as well. Unless Karius is showing a lot more than Mignolet in training I'd be inclined to stick with Mignolet in the interim period.

I think thats fair comment. I have to be honest I don't know anything about Karius and I'd expect there are plenty calling for him on here that don't know much about him either. Some of the same people who were calling for Bogdan last year I'd hazard a guess..Either way there are some bad bad bells on here - there really are.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2016, 08:33:49 pm »
Hilarious how low the standards are for posters now...

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

He's a bottom half goalkeeper. We signed him from a relegation scrapping team and he's ranged from average to dreadful in his 3 seasons here. He's done absolutely nothing to ever suggest he should be anywhere near a club like ours.

Stick with Mignolet? Yeah boss. Lets just wait till he makes his inevitable fuck up that costs us a goal shall we. Something which could have happened at the weekend only for him to be saved by the crossbar.
Believe

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
He's a bottom half goalkeeper.

I mean, isn't that categorically false by fact? He's played for us for three years. We were not in the bottom half all three years. Maybe you are arguing that our defense is making him better than he is, but that's a tough sell for me.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #285 on: September 12, 2016, 09:38:21 pm »
He's a bottom half goalkeeper. We signed him from a relegation scrapping team and he's ranged from average to dreadful in his 3 seasons here. He's done absolutely nothing to ever suggest he should be anywhere near a club like ours.

Stick with Mignolet? Yeah boss. Lets just wait till he makes his inevitable fuck up that costs us a goal shall we. Something which could have happened at the weekend only for him to be saved by the crossbar.

There's a group of keepers in the league who are obviously better than Mignolet -  De Gea, Llloris, Courtois, maybe Cech,

There's the next group of goalkeepers which are a step down. A much bigger group with different strengths and weaknesses. I think Mignolet sits in this group with the likes of Adrian, Forster, Begovic, Vorm, Schmiechel, Fabianski, Butland, Heaton. Some people may prefer one keeper over another but in general they are about the same overall quality.

For me Mignolet is not the best keeper in the league. He's not even close to that top group of keepers. But neither are about 25 other keepers int he league.

Who knows what group Karius is in (or could be in with time). For me he currently sits in a group with the likes of Bravo and Mandanda. Keepers who have been excellent in other European leagues. But keepers who have not been tested in the Premier League. A league in which as a GK, you face a unique set of challengers. A league where you can have the likes of Robert Huth taking you out at every set piece.

I suppose my overall point is that Mignolet is not necessarily a bottom half goalkeeper. If he is, then I think you can throw that judgement at most keepers in this league bar 4 or 5. It doesn't make Mignolet good enough for us long term but it might do in the short term whilst Karius is introduced to English football.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »
He's beyond average..... Can't pass out from the back, hopeless at crosses, barely saves anything... Sunderland was his level and thats where he should of stayed..

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2016, 10:23:06 pm »
He's beyond average..... Can't pass out from the back, hopeless at crosses, barely saves anything... Sunderland was his level and thats where he should of stayed..
His passing is fine actually. He's poor on crosses but then so are many keepers in the league including Karius. And he has made a few important saves already thus far. It's easy to slag him off though because you don't see the 90 minutes of all the other keepers in the league and the mistakes they make.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:41 pm »
I think he started out as a midfielder in St Truiden here in Belgium,not sure why I think that. I personally think his passing and general footwork with the ball is no worse than any keeper in this league. Flapping at crosses though is another story!
I'm generally happy with him to be honest,he seems to have improved in some areas like trying to punch the ball instead of being stuck in no mans land.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:08 pm »
Has anybody seen Bravo's performance for City? Had that been Mignolet mob would be outside his home ready to burn and pillage.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:14 pm »
Has anybody seen Bravo's performance for City? Had that been Mignolet mob would be outside his home ready to burn and pillage.
He can be got at. He can be intimidated by the crowd, the occasion and by an assault on his goal. We would have noticed and so would many others. You can smell that weakness from afar.

He's going to have a baptism of fire that lad.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:21 pm »
I did! I thought that immediately. I've watched the local team to me KRC Genk keepers train and they do a lot pre game pinging the ball at the keeper,and the keeper switches the play. It's the modern game and all keepers must put hours in doing this. Gone are the days of picking it up and smashing it down the pitch!

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:03 pm »

Almost like people judge things based on more than one game.
Believe

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2016, 10:56:56 pm »
He can be got at. He can be intimidated by the crowd, the occasion and by an assault on his goal. We would have noticed and so would many others. You can smell that weakness from afar.

He's going to have a baptism of fire that lad.

Yeah to be honest I don't think the lad who's been incredible for Barca and helped lead Chile to back to back Copa America's is the type of lad to claim can be intimidated by the occasion.
Believe

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2016, 10:57:04 pm »
Bloody hell, absolutely slaughtered on The Anfield Wrap

Not just on there. We get it, you hate Mignolet. You don't need to keep repeating it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »
Yeah to be honest I don't think the lad who's been incredible for Barca and helped lead Chile to back to back Copa America's is the type of lad to claim can be intimidated by the occasion.
He had the heebyjeebees on Saturday mate- regardless of his "illustrious" history. It happened and we all saw that game. Dunno why, but he was shaky for a while and we're not going to go there and be in awe of his majesty. He means fuckall to us.

Pepper his goal, get on his nerves, try and intimidate him and hope for the best, else we can just drop that as a possible tactic and a talking point right now and forget about it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:08:15 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2016, 11:08:03 pm »
He had the heebyjeebees on Saturday mate- regardless of his "illustrious" history. It happened and we all saw that game. Dunno why, but he was shaky for a while.

That's why you don't base an opinion of a player on one game where he had just flown back from South America and had 2 days of training with his new team.

And why are you putting marks around illustrious as if it's some sort of made up illusion mate? He's a world class goalkeeper. Absolutely world class. Proven at the absolute highest of levels both in club football and international football.
Believe

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2016, 11:09:52 pm »
That's why you don't base an opinion of a player on one game where he had just flown back from South America and had 2 days of training with his new team.

And why are you putting marks around illustrious as if it's some sort of made up illusion mate? He's a world class goalkeeper. Absolutely world class. Proven at the absolute highest of levels both in club football and international football.
There were many players who had games mid-week and put in stellar performances. Lallana was one of them. Covered more than 13k- more than any other midfielder in the Prem, including those who stayed home and ground out a Motm performance.

The occasion got to him. That's something worth keeping in mind.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:11:32 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2016, 11:13:19 pm »
There were many players who had games mid-week and put in stellar performances. Lallana was one of them. Covered more than 13k.
The occasion got to him.

Did Lallana just sign for the club and have 2 training sessions with his new team? How did the occasion get to him? I doubt when he is trying to catch a ball he's thinking 'oh no this is Old trafford'... He just had a poor game. It happens. He isn't up to speed with his new team mates obviously when it comes to communication etc. As I said, he's proven at the highest level. I doubt a lad who's played in Champions League and Copa America finals where he has been brilliant is shitting it playing at Old Trafford.

Feels like too much is being read in to it. Poor game, it happens. I just don't see how someone who has played in the type of games he has is worried about playing at Old Trafford.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:15:00 pm by King Klopp. »
Believe

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #299 on: September 12, 2016, 11:18:34 pm »
Did Lallana just sign for the club and have 2 training sessions with his new team? How did the occasion get to him? I doubt when he is trying to catch a ball he's thinking 'oh no this is Old trafford'... He just had a poor game. It happens. He isn't up to speed with his new team mates obviously when it comes to communication etc. As I said, he's proven at the highest level. I doubt a lad who's played in Champions League and Copa America finals where he has been brilliant is shitting it playing at Old Trafford.
Aagh, he cracked.

Hope we put six past him, he lands flat on his arse and has a stinker.
Like I said- I don't support him. Good keeper, but any perceived weakness- whether real or not should be exploited.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:26:59 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: September 12, 2016, 11:49:14 pm »

Feels like too much is being read in to it. Poor game, it happens. I just don't see how someone who has played in the type of games he has is worried about playing at Old Trafford.

Interesting that you can find it in you to defend Manchester City's keeper, yet you slaughter ours at every opportunity.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #301 on: September 12, 2016, 11:49:34 pm »

This absolutely world class Oscar Bravo that you're so in love with, the same Oscar Bravo that didn't play a single champions league match for Barcelona? and that played from 23 to 31 for midtable outfit Real Sociedad? Absolutely world class indeed. But there was one thing you didn't got wrong though, he did play Copa America finals, like absolutely world class Gonzala Jara and absolutely world class Jean Bousejour.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:53:57 pm by Lastrador »

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2016, 11:53:58 pm »
Interesting that you can find it in you to defend Manchester City's keeper, yet you slaughter ours at every opportunity.

Grow up ffs :lmao

Everyone who doesn't play for us is shite, everyone who plays for us is brilliant. Sound. That'll make for great discussion.
Believe

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2016, 11:56:10 pm »
This absolutely world class Oscar Bravo that you're so in love with, the same Oscar Bravo that didn't play a single champions league match for Barcelona? and that played from 23 to 31 for midtable outfit Real Sociedad? Absolutely world class indeed. But there was one thing you didn't got wrong though, he did play Copa America finals, like absolutely world class Gonzala Jara and absolutely world class Jean Bousejour.

No. It's Claudio Bravo.

Apologies though, he didn't play Cup games. Only league games. As for the other lads you mentioned, did they play as key players for Barcelona? Were they in the teams of the tournament?

But whatever. Bravo is shite  :wave
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:59:08 pm by King Klopp. »
Believe

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #304 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:35 pm »
No. It's Claudio Bravo.

Apologies though, he didn't play Cup games. Only league games.
Good catch. Does he remains absolutely world class without the imagined Champions league final?

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:00 am »
Good catch. Does he remains absolutely world class without the imagined Champions league final?

Yes. Unless being sensational at International level and being one of the best keepers in La Liga counts for fuck all as well.
Believe

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #306 on: September 13, 2016, 12:05:35 am »
Yes. Unless being sensational at International level and being one of the best keepers in La Liga counts for fuck all as well.
Was he ever sensational? Good solid keeper at the most, decent with his feet. One would think an absolutely world class goalkeeper would force his way into a champions league match, and that Barca wouldn't let him go that easily.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: September 13, 2016, 12:07:33 am »
The goal was all Mignolets fault. You can't play out from the back when everyone is marked or under pressure. Just bomb the ball forward! He takes too many un calculated risks.
Nah, the goal was Lucas's fault. He took too much time, then took a bad touch and then fucked up the pass back.

Still not sure mig was that great overall though
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: September 13, 2016, 12:11:04 am »
Was he ever sensational? Good solid keeper at the most, decent with his feet. One would think an absolutely world class goalkeeper would force his way into a champions league match, and that Barca wouldn't let him go that easily.
Bravo played league, ter Stegner played cups. Ter Stegner is also better with his feet and much younger

This isn't the city thread though sooo
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #309 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:13 am »
Bravo played league, ter Stegner played cups. Ter Stegner is also better with his feet and much younger

This isn't the city thread though sooo
Barking at the wrong tree here mate. I'm not the one who brought him up, or tried to defend his imagined world class status.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:23:25 am by Lastrador »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #310 on: September 13, 2016, 04:27:34 am »
Nah, the goal was Lucas's fault. He took too much time, then took a bad touch and then fucked up the pass back.

Still not sure mig was that great overall though
Everything is Simon's fault, including missed chances in front of goal, bad free kicks and attacking corners. I heard that the first 3 games of the season scheduled as away games are his fault too.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: September 13, 2016, 02:00:17 pm »
Grow up ffs :lmao

Everyone who doesn't play for us is shite, everyone who plays for us is brilliant. Sound. That'll make for great discussion.

Yes...I'm the one who should grow up. Excellent come back.

I'm not saying we all have to agree, just perhaps try to support our players and not slag them off (especially when they are playing well).
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: September 13, 2016, 02:03:42 pm »
Yes...I'm the one who should grow up. Excellent come back.

I'm not saying we all have to agree, just perhaps try to support our players and not slag them off (especially when they are playing well).

Cool. When Mignolet starts playing well I'll acknowledge it.
Believe

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #313 on: September 13, 2016, 02:04:31 pm »
Cool. When Mignolet starts playing well I'll acknowledge it.

I haven't seen an acknowledgement yet though.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: September 13, 2016, 02:06:00 pm »
I haven't seen an acknowledgement yet though.

Because he hasn't played well. He literally almost cost us a goal with his stupidity. Or is that so standard now that not doing it multiple times now consistutes a good Mignolet performance?

Fucking hell I miss peak Pepe Reina.
Believe

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #315 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:03 pm »
The goal was all Mignolets fault. You can't play out from the back when everyone is marked or under pressure. Just bomb the ball forward! He takes too many un calculated risks.

I'm not a Mignolet fan by any stretch of the imagination and he's nowhere near good enough for us in my opinion, but there's no way on earth you can blame him for the goal on Saturday.  He saw Lucas in acres of space, gave him a perfect pass then Lucas had a horrid first touch. 

Are you one of those people that blame us losing the league in 2014 on Sakho passing to Gerrard like a fair few others do?

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #316 on: September 13, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »
I don't get how people can blame Mignolet for the goal (if they are serious), when the ball just bounced of Lucas, and then procedeed to kick it across the penalty area.
Yes Lucas made a mistake, but why pass the ball when all of Leicesters players are ready to press the back line? Any goalkeeper would have bombed that ball forward.
Seen us win everything

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »
Yes Lucas made a mistake, but why pass the ball when all of Leicesters players are ready to press the back line? Any goalkeeper would have bombed that ball forward.
Look at Mignolet's passing all game, he played short passes nearly every time, it's clearly an instruction to invite the opposition forward and try to beat their press. Even after the goal we continued to play it short.

You'll also see that when we did kick it long they tended to be inaccurate and we lose possession a lot of the time.

We did it a number of times during the match successfully and probably would have done it again if Lucas didn't have such a poor first touch.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #318 on: September 13, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
I think Mignolet is a great shot stopper, but he is weak on crosses and doesn't command his area enough.

I always assumed, maybe wrongly Karius would be number 1, once match fit I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that role.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #319 on: September 13, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
I think Mignolet is a great shot stopper, but he is weak on crosses and doesn't command his area enough.

I always assumed, maybe wrongly Karius would be number 1, once match fit I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that role.

Is he even a great shot stopper? Stats and everything I've seen suggest otherwise.