Author Topic: Me Judy.  (Read 1688 times)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
Me Judy.
« on: July 19, 2023, 10:27:15 pm »
Is this Scouse saying linked to Judy the donkey who cut the ribbon at the opening of the Liver Building?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Me Judy.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 11:26:36 pm »
 Seems it's been around forever 
Judy – meaning girlfriend. Recorded in Ireland in 1781 and in Liverpool around 30 years later.

I like these examples

Brendan Behan; "Me Judy’s ’aving a nipper."

Alan Bleasdale's; "The feller what poisoned his judy years ago, and legged it to America."

Sydney Australia 1847 - There were plenty Judy’s there, but none like you.

https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/mjftxgy

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/liverpool-lost-words-scouse-history-10898781

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 12:12:10 am »
Punch, has just snotted Judy. And, he’s got away with it.
Why’s that said a very unconvincing passing crocodile, to a laissez-fair policeman - it’s 2023 and we’re in Saudi Arabia said the policeman and that’s the way we do it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:24:03 am »
 ;D

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:00:41 am »
 :)
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 09:23:44 am »
Punch, has just snotted Judy. And, he’s got away with it.
Why’s that said a very unconvincing passing crocodile, to a laissez-fair policeman - it’s 2023 and we’re in Saudi Arabia said the policeman and that’s the way we do it.

But how much was Punch paid? And was the passing crocodile a neo colonialist liberal?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 10:08:16 am »
But how much was Punch paid? And was the passing crocodile a neo colonialist liberal?
;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 10:17:55 am »

;D

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 10:19:29 am »

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 09:20:40 pm »
I worked as a butcher when I was younger and two of the fellas who worked there were proper scouse and always referred to their wives as "me tart".

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 07:40:36 pm »
I worked as a butcher when I was younger and two of the fellas who worked there were proper scouse and always referred to their wives as "me tart".

Might have said that myself at some point ;D

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 07:45:31 pm »
Might have said that myself at some point ;D

I still say that about my bird …I mean my wife

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 01:25:40 pm »
Me Gran, born in 1898, was a dead mimic.

She was 8 years old, rolling cigars in a shop for next to nothing most days but Sunday. 

Liverpool was very small those days, with the most activity being at the bottom of Duke St. in the Old Chinatown area.

Her tobacconist was next to a cafe and nearby was a Punch and Judy stand, possibly started by the Codmans, who later moved their act to St Georges.

She heard their routines so many times that she was adlibbing some retort lines at various stages of the performance (Rocky Horror precursor?).  Yackee dah was her cue line and she was straight outta Compton with her Taffy/Scouse invections.

Sometimes the puppeteer played it for laughs, but a coupla times he came out and chased her away.

Addendum:

A right corker was Amy Jones.  On stage at the Royal Court as a Tiller Girl in 1915 until Granddad spirited her off to Cardiff.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:18:51 am by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 03:49:08 am »

A few years ago, I was back home visiting family.

In the house, 2 cousins I hadn't seen in 10 years with wives, and 1 with his ex.  They're all introducing themselves. When it gets to the divorced couple, me cuz sez: "I'm Colin, and this is my...." 
His ex jumps in and sez: "I'm his bint."

We all fell about the room.
Kill the humourless