Author Topic: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs  (Read 35737 times)

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2023, 01:41:27 am »
May l offer a contrarian view perhaps from the perspective of Arabs? The collective west has colonised large parts of the rest of the world, including Arab lands, and has an atrocious track record with respect to exploitation, human rights, fucking with their domestic politics etc. for power and profit. To this day, a lot of these places ares still struggling to overcome some these legacy issues either due to their own incompetence or the economic structures that have been imposed on them by their erstwhile colonial masters. Tough shit, l hear some of you say.

Well now, people like the Saudis and others are using their resource wealth to fuck with the systems in western nations and these nations cry foul. Are the Arabs, Chinese and others entitled to say, “Tough shit”? Just throwing it out there.
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2023, 06:33:23 am »
May l offer a contrarian view perhaps from the perspective of Arabs? The collective west has colonised large parts of the rest of the world, including Arab lands, and has an atrocious track record with respect to exploitation, human rights, fucking with their domestic politics etc. for power and profit. To this day, a lot of these places ares still struggling to overcome some these legacy issues either due to their own incompetence or the economic structures that have been imposed on them by their erstwhile colonial masters. Tough shit, l hear some of you say.

Well now, people like the Saudis and others are using their resource wealth to fuck with the systems in western nations and these nations cry foul. Are the Arabs, Chinese and others entitled to say, “Tough shit”? Just throwing it out there.

I think the last nation that should cry foul about conquering and colonising are the Saudis lol

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2023, 07:52:17 am »
Saudi Araidia m I rite??!!1111

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2023, 07:55:39 am »

Historical or current colonisation is shit. It's will never be for the sole benefit of the of the local/native residents.

"The policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically"
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2023, 08:33:02 am »

I certainly wouldn't be as arsed about this league with its four clubs owned by the state, if the Saudis weren't also trying to do the same in the Premier League.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2023, 08:58:41 am »

Boooooooooooooooooooo
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2023, 09:36:01 am »

I for one bow down to our new misogynistic, homophobic tyrannical overlords. Meet the new boss and all that…
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2023, 10:38:14 am »

Well they can say that if they like, but I’m not sure what you think follows from it?  That there’s a case for for us holding up our hands and conceding our game to them?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2023, 10:52:41 am »
FIFA have confirmed the 2023 Club World Cup will take place in Jeddah. Man City will travel to Saudi Arabia to play in the seven-team tournament.

(Source: FIFA)

Sneak peak at the new trophy.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2023, 02:11:26 pm »
Well they can say that if they like, but I’m not sure what you think follows from it?  That there’s a case for for us holding up our hands and conceding our game to them?

C’est la vie. Everyone has a price. If the system can be corrupted, it will
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2023, 06:42:16 pm »
Lingard seems to be begging Saudi's to come get him...

doesn't seem to realize that he sucks and that they want washed up STARS not plain old washed up players.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2023, 06:47:31 pm »

doesn't seem to realize that he sucks and that they want washed up STARS not plain old washed up players.

Think you're talking about someone else, mate. Young Jesse is one of the biggest young prospects around. Huge future ahead that chap.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2023, 07:47:02 pm »

Think you're talking about someone else, mate. Young Jesse is one of the biggest young prospects around. Huge future ahead that chap.
Indeed.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2023, 02:40:37 pm »
;D

I'm guessing, despite all the hysteria, we might see about 50 players move from Europe to Saudi Arabia this summer.  It's difficult to imagine Beanz being anywhere near that top 50.

I think the same goes for Ox as he's been linked with a move there, although Ox at least has the benefit of a popstar girlfriend to assist with the sportswashing.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2023, 06:08:07 pm »
They are all ready multi millionaires so why are they going over there and taking the oil / blood money.

It's sickening, how much money do they want, how much is enough ?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2023, 06:17:18 pm »
They are all ready multi millionaires so why are they going over there and taking the oil / blood money.

Greed. Pure and simple.
Sadly, it’s the way the game is now.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2023, 09:20:51 pm »

How many footballers boycotted the last world cup, zero that's how many. Footballers by and large don't do morals.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2023, 09:38:56 pm »
Anyone that wants to fuck off to Saudi Arabia is more than welcome in my eyes, fans and footballers alike. 

I wish we could send all the gobshite footballers over there, fans, pundits...it'd be fucking great.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2023, 10:35:54 pm »
I'd imagine a lot of these players will end up back at European clubs within two years similarly to what happened with Russia and China. Some will try to justify the move by indicating that the wages will go towards funding charity projects or support family members, even though it's been proven that you don't need to leave a top European club to do that (i.e. Sadio Mane). 15-20 years ago, these sort of players would have ended up at a mid-table club in Spain or Italy, or perhaps one of the big Turkish sides.

But those leagues don't have the ability to afford the sort of astronomical wages the Saudi league can offer that will enable them to maintain the same sort of salaries they were making in the PL despite being in decline.  Most of the players that have moved or are being targeted were born in and have grown up in northern Europe (Benzema, Mendy, Kante, Koulibaly, Ziyech).  I'd suspect that after a few months some players are going to feel differently about living in such a conservative environment and the sort of restrictions imposed on them and their families in everyday living.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2023, 10:53:26 am »
I'd imagine a lot of these players will end up back at European clubs within two years similarly to what happened with Russia and China. Some will try to justify the move by indicating that the wages will go towards funding charity projects or support family members, even though it's been proven that you don't need to leave a top European club to do that (i.e. Sadio Mane). 15-20 years ago, these sort of players would have ended up at a mid-table club in Spain or Italy, or perhaps one of the big Turkish sides.

But those leagues don't have the ability to afford the sort of astronomical wages the Saudi league can offer that will enable them to maintain the same sort of salaries they were making in the PL despite being in decline.  Most of the players that have moved or are being targeted were born in and have grown up in northern Europe (Benzema, Mendy, Kante, Koulibaly, Ziyech).  I'd suspect that after a few months some players are going to feel differently about living in such a conservative environment and the sort of restrictions imposed on them and their families in everyday living.
They’re just greedy c*nts with no morals.
As are a lot of footballers/ mega rich people I guess.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2023, 02:27:55 pm »
They’re just greedy c*nts with no morals.
As are a lot of footballers/ mega rich people I guess.

Yep.

My lad said the other day "how much money do you really need? They can't spend it, so why chase it?" He's 12 ffs and he can see how disgusting they are.

I fully understand that people want to look after their families futures, but fucking hell, if you can't do that with £10million in the bank, you're fucked.
Jurgen YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2023, 02:53:54 pm »

Wants his own sports washer more and more apologists popping up all over the price.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2023, 03:07:17 pm »
Greed. Pure and simple.
Sadly, it’s the way the game is now.

I have always said that, having £150m is only useful if you have plans (ie buy a football club or business) for some of these it's just pure greed, a fleet of flash cars instead of having just a very good one. Footballers, with a few exceptions, probably have no idea of how to spend that money, the average PL player is already a multimillionaire/lottery winner and the sucking dry of fans in order to support this totally unecessary lifestyle is just plain wrong. Saudi money just pushes the boat out further into neverland, like the sons of sheiks driving round in fleets of Porsches. Messi has a $36m Ferrari plus others, I have one 10 year old car and I am not poor.

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2023, 03:12:12 pm »
Yep.

My lad said the other day "how much money do you really need? They can't spend it, so why chase it?" He's 12 ffs and he can see how disgusting they are.

I fully understand that people want to look after their families futures, but fucking hell, if you can't do that with £10million in the bank, you're fucked.

A nurse on the average salary working solidly for 40 years would probably earn £1m after tax over their lifetime, that puts the average wage of a PL footballer (£3m a year) into perspective a little. (ie Phil Jones has earned £23m in the last 4 seasons but played only 13 times, £42m earned since United bought him)

£42m!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 03:16:33 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2023, 03:12:13 pm »

I have always said that, having £150m is only useful if you have plans (ie buy a football club or business) for some of these it's just pure greed, a fleet of flash cars instead of having just a very good one. Footballers, with a few exceptions, probably have no idea of how to spend that money, the average PL player is already a multimillionaire/lottery winner and the sucking dry of fans in order to support this totally unecessary lifestyle is just plain wrong. Saudi money just pushes the boat out further into neverland, like the sons of sheiks driving round in fleets of Porsches. Messi has a $36m Ferrari plus others, I have one 10 year old car and I am not poor.

Yeah the old argument of footballers careers being short is not valid anymore for elite players unless they're meant to be providing enough money to support their extended clan for 1000 years or more,which some of them already make enough money to do.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2023, 03:16:20 pm »

These people aren't like us, mate.  You cannot compare apples and oranges, as they say.  Rich people are fucking greedy c*nts and top-level sport has no morals at all!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2023, 03:18:43 pm »
Yeah the old argument of footballers careers being short is not valid anymore for elite players unless they're meant to be providing enough money to support their extended clan for 1000 years or more,which some of them already make enough money to do.

It's not just the elite these days, even shite players have too much.

Imagine being a footballers kid and getting whatever you want every christmas and thinking you probably don't need to work in your lifetime if you choose not to (or just do whatever you want)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2023, 03:22:59 pm »

Imagine being a footballers kid and getting whatever you want every christmas and thinking you probably don't need to work in your lifetime if you choose not to (or just do whatever you want)

Sport is part of the global inequality crisis.  That's one of the reasons why I'd never give my money to any top-level club, including LFC.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2023, 03:26:04 pm »
Yep.

I think 10M is the figure where you could have an amazing life and not have to worry about money if you were mid 30’s.

It probably wouldn’t be a hugely extravagant life though obviously a very comfortable one & one that is beyond the vast majority of people.

It wouldn't be living in a mansion in an exclusive part of California/London/ name another exclusive area with the associated security and a huge range of cars, etc.. You need to be in the 100M type range to have that and not work.

I’m not trying to defend the footballers here. Having 10M in the bank is beyond most people’s comprehension. Bit like most people, footballers probably get accustomed to the money. There will always be a better house, newer car, expensive watch etc.  that you can spend your money on. That would seem unnatural to most but it’s because the starting point is different. It’s like buying a 500k 4 bed house house and 5 years later saying you want a 5 bed house at 1M and justifying moving to a better paid job to do so. Human nature to always want more and for a number of people that equates to more money and things.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2023, 03:29:46 pm »

It's a bit unimaginable to myself as my family was pretty poor growing up,and even now living on £6k/year,have no car either any more as i can't afford the upkeep.
Life's can feel a bit grey at times living on that,thank god we have RAWK. ;)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2023, 03:51:05 pm »
I think 10M is the figure where you could have an amazing life and not have to worry about money if you were mid 30’s.

It probably wouldn’t be a hugely extravagant life though obviously a very comfortable one & one that is beyond the vast majority of people.

It wouldn't be living in a mansion in an exclusive part of California/London/ name another exclusive area with the associated security and a huge range of cars, etc.. You need to be in the 100M type range to have that and not work.

I’m not trying to defend the footballers here. Having 10M in the bank is beyond most people’s comprehension. Bit like most people, footballers probably get accustomed to the money. There will always be a better house, newer car, expensive watch etc.  that you can spend your money on. That would seem unnatural to most but it’s because the starting point is different. It’s like buying a 500k 4 bed house house and 5 years later saying you want a 5 bed house at 1M and justifying moving to a better paid job to do so. Human nature to always want more and for a number of people that equates to more money and things.

You must have expensive tastes  ;)

I could live very comfortably on a million.  A million is more than enough.  I've never been one for chasing money though.  It's the route of all evil.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2023, 03:52:12 pm »

I could live very comfortably on a million.  A million is more than enough.

Seriously.  A million is enough to buy a property somewhere and get another two homes with rental income, you're then set for life.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2023, 03:54:37 pm »

Not even just their kids, it'd be their grandkids at least. Not sure it teaches them much about real life, hopefully most of them make sure their kids actually do something worthwhile with their lives.

Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2023, 04:11:09 pm »
It's a bit unimaginable to myself as my family was pretty poor growing up,and even now living on £6k/year,have no car either any more as i can't afford the upkeep.
Life's can feel a bit grey at times living on that,thank god we have RAWK. ;)

So, Ronaldo earns 3 times your annual income every hour, even when he is asleep.

(don't mean to get you down, as if you need reminding)

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2023, 04:17:44 pm »

I could live very comfortably on a million.  A million is more than enough.  I've never been one for chasing money though.  It's the route of all evil.

I reckon I’ll live (hopefully) for another 30-40 years. 1M, without working, equates to about 25-33K per year. 10M equates to 250-330k a year.

My view of an extravagant lifestyle is 100k cars, >2M houses in amazing locations. Designer watches, designer clothes, multiple holidays every year.

It’s not because I live anything close to this lifestyle. Just my projection of extravagant.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2023, 04:34:23 pm »

So, Ronaldo earns 3 times your annual income every hour, even when he is asleep.

(don't mean to get you down, as if you need reminding)

No no it's ok mate,am used to everybody earning more anyway haha.  :)

Ronaldo can F off though  :D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2023, 04:45:55 pm »

I have always said that, having £150m is only useful if you have plans (ie buy a football club or business)

Ironically Kante (after his big money deal) has gone and bought his own 3rd tier Belgian football club today. I suppose it's better than sticking it on the gee gees
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2023, 06:00:09 pm »

Ironically Kante (after his big money deal) has gone and bought his own 3rd tier Belgian football club today. I suppose it's better than sticking it on the gee gees

succumbed to a bit of Night Fever...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2023, 06:30:14 pm »
So they have even bought God now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66058178

97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2023, 06:31:08 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"