Author Topic: Moving to Liverpool  (Read 18415 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2023, 05:01:38 pm »
How do you cycle to the centre from the Wirral? Can you use the tunnels?

You are actually allowed to cycle through the old tunnel, but only at night (9pm - 7am weekdays). The tunnel swerves and is tight, so it feels quite dodgy. Bikes are free on Merseyrail, and you can take them on the ferry, when it is not broken. But you'd likely end up paying for transport quite often if you lived over there.

I'd also avoid Bootle to be honest. There isn't a good route into town on a bike. You either have to go on a really busy main road, or do quite a detour for a quieter way.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2023, 05:27:16 pm »
How do you cycle to the centre from the Wirral? Can you use the tunnels?
The times you can use just one of the tunnels for cycling are very limited.

Going by Mersey Travel -

Can I ride my bicycle through the tunnel? - Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel. Through the Queensway (Birkenhead) Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, 7am to 8pm on Saturday and 8am to 9pm on Sunday.

I've never actually seen a bike in the tunnel when I've driven through it.

When I used to bike from Liverpool to Wales I always had to get the ferry across.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 05:29:01 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2023, 05:40:09 pm »
Ferry or Merseyrail. Commuter ticket for the ferry is around £50 per month, cheaper quarterly so I'll experiment a little bit. Ferry was ace to take the bike on but that wasn't at rush hour times. I think you can bike through one of the tunnels but definitely don't fancy that twice daily, neither for the ride nor the fumes.

The problem with the ferry is that it breaks down all the time. Also the times when it runs are not great  i think in the summer the morning one if full of bike commuters, think it must be great getting to work that way. (Obviously you'd have to put up with living on the Wirral... :-X )

Re cycling through the tunnel:

Merseytravel
Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel. Through the Queensway (Birkenhead) Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, 7am to 8pm on Saturday and 8am to 9pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive.

Which means you are allowed at night. I've only ever cycled through on a Sunday morning before 8, when there aren't that many cars. The air is ok in there, the tunnel is ventilated. I once went on a tunnel tour and they said they monitor the air quality and it is actually fine.

If you do end up on the Wirral, there's a mostly off-road path, the "Wirral way" that goes basically all the way around. Can see it on google maps. Not so good for getting anywhere, but nice for a chilled family ride over to Parkgate for ice cream / coffee.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2023, 06:07:56 pm »
I've not been posting for a while, but this seems just the place to come for some important advice...

I have just been offered a job in Liverpool, which means I have just under 6 weeks to move my family up from London, and I'd really welcome some advice about cheap, decent areas to raise a family in. We can't afford more than £900 a month for 3 beds, so beggars can't be choosers and all that, but any help in terms of schools, parks, local facilities, general vibe or any areas to avoid would be more than welcome. Properties I've seen in our range so far include ones in Huyton, Walton  (near Anfield, right? :-) ) and Bootle...

Many thanks,

HBHR

If you're looking for ways to pass the time, you can go to Anfield to watch Premier League football. If lower league football is more your thing, there's Goodison Park.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2023, 09:56:03 pm »
If you're looking for ways to pass the time, you can go to Anfield to watch Premier League football. If lower league football is more your thing, there's Goodison Park.
Hahahaha! Nah if I fancy a bit of lower league football I reckon Marine is the one to watch. :-)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2023, 10:36:08 pm »
Quick one, we call the tunnels the old tunnel and the new tunnel, so to make it clear, Queesway, which runs from town into Birkenhead and which opened in 1934 is the old tunnel and Kingsway, which runs from Scotland (scottie) Road to wallasey and opened in 1971 is the new tunnel
Jurgen YNWA

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2023, 07:53:08 am »
Quick one, we call the tunnels the old tunnel and the new tunnel, so to make it clear, Queesway, which runs from town into Birkenhead and which opened in 1934 is the old tunnel and Kingsway, which runs from Scotland (scottie) Road to wallasey and opened in 1971 is the new tunnel

Rob this probably makes a bit more sense now we have a king on the throne 😀 they are the right way around again

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:57 am »
I didn't know outside special events you are allowed to cycle through the Queensway tunnel overnight, however wouldn't bother given it's length, & narrow lanes, not sure what the gradient is either, the bends in the tunnel are so it avoids building foundations, particularly at the Birkenhead end

On another note, buses are £2 for single fare, i think the £2 single fare is staying for the Liverpool City Region after the English national £2 single fare scheme ends in June.
#Sausages

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2023, 12:44:35 pm »
Hahahaha! Nah if I fancy a bit of lower league football I reckon Marine is the one to watch. :-)
Definitely. Get down to Rosset Park. ⚽
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2023, 05:38:30 pm »
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130904084#/?channel=RES_LET

Agree with Andy’s post on the first page. Have lived in Walton, Orrell Park, Allerton, Lark Lane, Wavertree and Childwall. All have their own charms. For good value and a peaceful area, check out Wavertree close to Penny Lane area - this is a good place for a family. Close to Greenbank, Sefton and Caldies and the more bohemian parts of the city such as Lark Lane aren’t too far. The “Fields” roads are a good compromise between area and cost.

Have happy memories of my first house there before moving onwards. Good luck, it’s an amazing city. You can check the Ward data out for relevant stats before you decide.

Word of warning, if you live in the North then move South - you’ll curse getting home from a night game!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:41:04 pm by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2023, 04:59:22 am »
There was a good right up about Walton Vale pubs and restaurants in the Echo last week.
Loads of Stations up in that neck of the woods too

https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article26317655.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_LEC_SN_230223valebar_04jfif.jpg

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2023, 10:17:34 am »
Rob this probably makes a bit more sense now we have a king on the throne 😀 they are the right way around again

;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 3, 2023, 09:39:10 pm »
 Well, here goes! Holding deposit down, booking a removal company tomorrow, date set for the 13th of March. In two weeks I'll be a ... What do you call people from Wallasey aside from wools? Can I be a Merseysider?  ;D

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 3, 2023, 11:28:35 pm »
There are lots of pleasantries for the people from over the water, but Wallasey specificallly, once upon a time, was home to the 'wreckers'.  Because they looted the wrecks of ships that crashed on the rocks off the shore. Or, as alleged in those times, lured ships onto the rocks with lights in fog and darkness, murdered the surviving crew, and then looted the wreck. Bet you're glad you asked. :)

Joking aside, I have mates living over there, and they seem happy enough.

Congrats for finding somewhere! Hope it all work out!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 4, 2023, 04:14:12 am »
...Can I be a Merseysider?  ;D

Nice one mate, loads of sporting greats come from Wallasey including Fred Perry, Dickie Davies and Jay Spearing  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #95 on: March 4, 2023, 06:48:23 am »
There are lots of pleasantries for the people from over the water, but Wallasey specificallly, once upon a time, was home to the 'wreckers'.  Because they looted the wrecks of ships that crashed on the rocks off the shore. Or, as alleged in those times, lured ships onto the rocks with lights in fog and darkness, murdered the surviving crew, and then looted the wreck. Bet you're glad you asked. :)

Joking aside, I have mates living over there, and they seem happy enough.

Congrats for finding somewhere! Hope it all work out!

Apparently one of the most notorious wreckers was Mother Redcap, & mouth of the Mersey estuary was notorious for wrecking ships by accident or otherwise, with the large sandbanks either side of the shipping channel.

Those into golf, Stableford format was invented by Dr Frank Stableford at Wallasey golf links.

#Sausages

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 8, 2023, 12:40:54 pm »
Apparently one of the most notorious wreckers was Mother Redcap, & mouth of the Mersey estuary was notorious for wrecking ships by accident or otherwise, with the large sandbanks either side of the shipping channel.

Those into golf, Stableford format was invented by Dr Frank Stableford at Wallasey golf links.

All things close to our new place! We're moving in Monday, busy putting our life in boxes.

Also, does anyone know what people from Wallasey call themselves? Wallassians? Wallsonians? Walleys?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 8, 2023, 01:08:19 pm »
All things close to our new place! We're moving in Monday, busy putting our life in boxes.

Also, does anyone know what people from Wallasey call themselves? Wallassians? Wallsonians? Walleys?

Anything but Scousers ;)

No idea what they call themselves, never even thought about it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 8, 2023, 01:14:29 pm »

Wools.  ;)

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 8, 2023, 02:02:15 pm »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #100 on: March 8, 2023, 02:04:48 pm »

kirkby's not going to be happy with that
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 8, 2023, 02:34:49 pm »

More Scouse than the south end softies. ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #102 on: March 8, 2023, 06:39:44 pm »
#Sausages

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 9, 2023, 09:21:25 am »

hahaha, perfect mate, exactly what I needed. Will get this printed and laminated onto an A1 sized canvas, pop it over the fireplace and the family can study it daily! 😁

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 9, 2023, 09:22:07 am »
As I understand it, Kirkby isn't happy with anything.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #105 on: March 9, 2023, 02:24:05 pm »
Well, here goes! Holding deposit down, booking a removal company tomorrow, date set for the 13th of March. In two weeks I'll be a ... What do you call people from Wallasey aside from wools? Can I be a Merseysider?  ;D

Good luck with the move mate.

I was born in Wallasey and bought my first house there. I am sure you will like it. Great transport links as well to Liverpool
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 9, 2023, 03:01:54 pm »
Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel. Through the Queensway (Birkenhead) Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, 7am to 8pm on Saturday and 8am to 9pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive

;D not that it's advisable at any time because fumes and so many people don't pay attention in them!

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 9, 2023, 04:26:59 pm »
As I understand it, Kirkby isn't happy with anything.

Fucking hell, slagging Kirkby off already.

You'll fit right in ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2023, 05:14:21 am »

I'm from Wallasey, yet not sure on this, think Wallaseyonians, or plastic scousers which i've heard of too. ;D

New Brighton has had a big revival over the last 10 years, busier that it was before the redevelopment, great place to visit in nice weather too.
#Sausages

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2023, 04:21:42 pm »

I have ended up in Wallasey (Wallasey Village side) after a years of moving around. I love it here. Let me know if you want any tips on pubs etc

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2023, 09:28:22 pm »
I have ended up in Wallasey (Wallasey Village side) after a years of moving around. I love it here. Let me know if you want any tips on pubs etc

I know it had that awful shooting at Christmas, but the Lighthouse is a decent boozer in Wallasey Village, type of boozer you can normally take your family to & hav a meal

The Farmers is opposite the Lighthouse, also Sheridans [which used to be the Black Horse] near the roundabout with Leasowe Road, & further down the Cheshire Cheese.

#Sausages

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2023, 06:45:09 pm »
Any recommendations in Egremont?

Edit: I should specify...

For pubs, food, local 6-7 a side footy for people who are kind of old and crap but still like playing?

Online jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2023, 08:22:34 pm »
 There is a pub in Wallasey called the the Two Helmets previously known as the Three Bellends.

With pictures of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and Matt Hancock on the sign outside.

Named during the lockdowns after covid.

Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2023, 08:31:29 pm »
There is a pub in Wallasey called the the Two Helmets previously known as the Three Bellends.

With pictures of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and Matt Hancock on the sign outside.

Named during the lockdowns after covid.

I've seen that! It's in New Brighton, I think. Nice area, that is.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2023, 02:45:53 am »
Officially the Two Helmets is the James Atherton pub, which is in Victoria Road New Brighton, The Perch Rock boozer is opposite

If you walk [or cycle] down the prom from New Brighton to Seacombe, theirs a good boozer halfway down called the Egremont Ferry
#Sausages

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2023, 09:41:25 am »
Egremont Ferry
I'm sure Terry has done a gig in the Eggy Ferry back in the day?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2023, 08:38:05 pm »
Officially the Two Helmets is the James Atherton pub, which is in Victoria Road New Brighton, The Perch Rock boozer is opposite

If you walk [or cycle] down the prom from New Brighton to Seacombe, theirs a good boozer halfway down called the Egremont Ferry
Nice. Have walked/cycled past it many times already, always looked nice on the outside. One to put on the list. A couple of my own since I've been here:
Vale park! What an absolute little gem that is, along with the black pearl. Great surprise for kids and the cafe nearby is lovely too.
New Brighton funfair - a bit expensive for what it is but the kids loved it. I also discovered that I'm getting too old for the more extreme rides, the pirate ship absolutely messed me up. My daughter loved it though.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2023, 08:28:34 am »
Sounds like you found a good place for the family! Was wondering about a little update, sounds like you're settling in well.

How's the commute to work? Do you get the train, or ride theough the tunnel?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2023, 10:41:55 pm »
Sounds like you found a good place for the family! Was wondering about a little update, sounds like you're settling in well.

How's the commute to work? Do you get the train, or ride theough the tunnel?
My first week so I'm going to experiment a bit, Merseyrail this week, will try Ferry next. Cycling through the docks down to Hamilton Square is a real pleasure. Love seeing the different ships.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2023, 03:03:14 pm »
Few other pubs on that side of Wallasey. The Telegraph is slightly inland but nice little pub, The Magazine on the front not far from Vale Park is nice and the Pilot Boat over the road does decent pub grub.