539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1450774 times)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit.. again - Last try before more dickheads derail it once again
« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2018, 10:59:05 pm »
You can’t go on strike unless your a union member as far as I am aware, and while trade unions have been attacked and hacked at for the last 35 years no one outside the unions batted an eye (and that’s not just the Tories, there’s a fair few ‘liberals’ hostile to unions on here). It’s probably a bit late to now expect them to come riding to the rescue.
Everyone's has the right to strike if the strike is official but lets not get side tracked, I dont look for the unions to ride in and save the day, I expect them to do whatever necessary to protect and save their members jobs. I also think Management will be very sympathetic to any 1 day unofficial action as well, their jobs are also on the line.
I wouldn't expect the country to grind to a halt but I would expect a lot of support for it from the industries under threat the most. obviously everyone thinks of Nissan Sunderland, it would be interesting to see if their productions line run, I doubt it myself, it doesn't take many key areas to refuse to work to grind production lines to a halt.
I know Road haulage have commitments to customers but the whole industry must view Brexit as a massive threat for a few reasons.
The TUC have gone missing the last few yrs, how McCluskey got back in I will never understand, Apathy probably, even he must be worried about his unions lack of fight to protect car workers etc. he's supposed to be a militant, well it's time to stand up and fight now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:03:27 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Franny

• RAWK Director of Geo-location
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2018, 12:09:57 am »
Everyone's has the right to strike if the strike is official
Not correct, only trade union members have the right to take official industrial action.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2018, 12:30:04 am »
Not correct, only trade union members have the right to take official industrial action.
I think the question is irrelevant to be honest as the government don't take action, they protect the employer when they take action, can you see Nissan or JLR management sacking anyone if they take action in a official stoppage to stop Brexit and keep their companies from closing,? no chance.
The more relevant question is would companies take action for unofficial strikes, Wild cat strikes. this is the more likely scenario if the TUC do ask for support, they will leave it up to the individual to decide.

Non-union staff and striking

If non-union members go on strike, they are protected from dismissal and have the same rights as union members, as long as the industrial action is lawful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:36:59 am by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2018, 06:19:06 am »
House of Commons researchers have produced their work on 'no deal': https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8397

Nothing new there for those who have been following the detail, but it provides another apolitical touchstone for discussions. For what good that may or may not do.

See where May gets to as her party melts down around her. Single market for services and freedom of movement are the lines she needs to cross. Or at least fudge enough to push a final reckoning away for another couple of years. So long as she can get that through parliament...

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:43 am »
Conservative Eurosceptics have abandoned their plan to publish an alternative Chequers blueprint.

Tory members of the European Research Group had been due to put their names to a single document setting out their own proposals for a limited Brexit deal with the European Union

50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2018, 08:16:59 am »
Worth another listen.

https://soundcloud.com/bbcradiokent/nodealbrexit-heated-debate
Ha, that was brilliant.
Depressing more like.

Same old shit really. On one side, you have someone with experience and knowledge highlighting the clusterfuck of Brexit. On the other side, you have an ill-informed moron parroting the 'We're an independent nation, taking back control' bullshit with NOTHING to back up his assertions. That 9:37 of audio is a microcosm of what has been going on for the last couple of years.

Grim  :(

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:36 am »
Depressing more like.

Same old shit really. On one side, you have someone with experience and knowledge highlighting the clusterfuck of Brexit. On the other side, you have an ill-informed moron parroting the 'We're an independent nation, taking back control' bullshit with NOTHING to back up his assertions. That 9:37 of audio is a microcosm of what has been going on for the last couple of years.

The whole debate has been about the status quo (with all its imperfections) against the vision for an Independent Britain.
Given that, the onus has been on leave to put some detail on that vision as a viable alternative to remaining because we all have a fairly good idea what remaining looks like.
So given this opportunity to actually create something for people to see as a genuine viable alternative they've largely gone for lies around NHS funding and played to the gallery around nasty foreigners and "getting our country back". I doubt that the majority of the people you describe above have the faintest idea of how international trade works.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2018, 12:25:48 pm »
The whole debate has been about the status quo (with all its imperfections) against the vision for an Independent Britain.
Given that, the onus has been on leave to put some detail on that vision as a viable alternative to remaining because we all have a fairly good idea what remaining looks like.
So given this opportunity to actually create something for people to see as a genuine viable alternative they've largely gone for lies around NHS funding and played to the gallery around nasty foreigners and "getting our country back". I doubt that the majority of the people you describe above have the faintest idea of how international trade works.
You're probably right but you can still form a opinion on whether trading on WTO terms only is a good thing. the fact that no country in the world trades only on WTO should be enough warning. we shouldn't really need to argue this point, it's common sense, if no country in the world doesn't trade only on WTO terms then they must be the worst terms possible.
Yet here we are having to fight the WTO fantasy brexit now, JRM said we won't see the benefit of Brexit for 40ys a few weeks back now he's saying we will get a £80 bill boost as soon as we leave the EU and trade on WTO terms.
I take it we won't be signing any more trade deals either, whats the point as he's arguing trading on WTO terms only makes us better off.
I don't believe Brexit is about trade deals to MPs like JRM, it's about tax evasion, it's about taking away you're rights at work, it's about having the freedom to do as they please with no accountability.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »
Brexit: Barnier says agreement possible by early November

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45470674

The BBC's Katya Adler said Mr Barnier's tone may have changed but the substance of his arguments was still the same.

So instead of deciding it wasn't worthy of an article at all, you write one with a headline that could leave your readers with a far rosier view of the situation than is reality. Public service broadcasting at its best.

But he warned that the UK's core proposals for trading relations after it leaves were a direct challenge to the founding principles of the EU and the integrity of the single market.

"It is not possible to get freedom for goods without freedom for services, in particular for the movement of people," he said.

That minor detail aside, yeah, November seems good...  ::)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2018, 12:34:21 pm »

I've listened to a few of the calls into James O'Brien on LBC and sadly that is the truth. They spout all the soundbites but have no got one idea of what it means.

If they had come up with a proper alternative to being in the EU, I might have been swayed to vote leave - this would have to have been to my and everyone elses kids though, not my own, but how anyone can accept this is beyond me.

I get the old "if we don't send the money we can spend it here belief" and why people voted based on this, but we all know this money will not be available.
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
You're probably right but you can still form a opinion on whether trading on WTO terms only is a good thing. the fact that no country in the world trades only on WTO should be enough warning. we shouldn't really need to argue this point, it's common sense, if no country in the world doesn't trade only on WTO terms then they must be the worst terms possible.
Yet here we are having to fight the WTO fantasy brexit now, JRM said we won't see the benefit of Brexit for 40ys a few weeks back now he's saying we will get a £80 bill boost as soon as we leave the EU and trade on WTO terms.
I take it we won't be signing any more trade deals either, whats the point as he's arguing trading on WTO terms only makes us better off.
I don't believe Brexit is about trade deals to MPs like JRM, it's about tax evasion, it's about taking away you're rights at work, it's about having the freedom to do as they please with no accountability.
Yes I saw that and couldn't believe that even he would be so arrogant. Imagine him saying that to his fund management clients.
"Put your dough with us, but you'll only see the benefit after 40 years".
But such is the lack of accountability and the piss poor political process, nobody is holding his feet to the fire over his about turn are they?
I think that there is something in your summary. JRM and his ilk know that the average idiot voter is happy with their diet of reality TV, the latest phone, celebrity gossip, the Royal family, social media etc; and that once in power they won't have the counterbalances of EU law, a strong opposition or a politically engaged electorate. But will have the support of a right wing press that will ensure the grey vote does their bit. Make no mistake, it's a big prize that's within their grasp.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:02 pm »
Depressing more like.

Did the fuckwit manage to get in the "vaccination scandal" by any chance. Brexit and other conspiracies seem to go hand in hand.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2018, 01:06:58 pm »
Yes I saw that and couldn't believe that even he would be so arrogant. Imagine him saying that to his fund management clients.
But such is the lack of accountability and the piss poor political process, nobody is holding his feet to the fire over his about turn are they?
I think that there is something in your summary. JRM and his ilk know that the average idiot voter is happy with their diet of reality TV, the latest phone, celebrity gossip, the Royal family, social media etc; and that once in power they won't have the counterbalances of EU law, a strong opposition or a politically engaged electorate. But will have the support of a right wing press that will ensure the grey vote does their bit. Make no mistake, it's a big prize that's within their grasp.

Your last paragraph is an accurate and depressing summary. Rees Moog and his crew have a,ready softened up the public with their claims that there will be tax and VAT cuts post Brexit.

And I bet you the higher rate tax cuts go ahead and the VAT cuts are quietly shelved.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2018, 01:14:55 pm »
The ERG have released a precis of their grand plan today. Ian Dunt gives it a good kicking: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/09/11/the-garbled-nonsense-of-jacob-rees-mogg-s-new-press-release

Highlight from what I've seen of it so far is that they really do think that removing all regulations for imports into the country is a wonderful idea. "Is this medicine fit for human consumption? Buyer beware!". Seriously.

On their tax cuts - key ones are inheritance tax and income tax. Only about 50% of the population will benefit from income tax cuts. But the cost will be carried disproportionately by the 50% who don't. Same thing with inheritance tax which would benefit only a small slice of the population. It's a massive transfer of wealth upwards.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2018, 01:16:51 pm »

Yes, it is within their grasp, we have triggered art 50, that means a hard Brexit automatically unless we stop it from happening, well we've run out of time to stop it from happening now even if we want too, it's in the EUs hands, I don't understand all this talk of Parliament not agreeing to a no deal, how are they going to stop it from happening.
I don't hear any senior politicians arguing for us to accept FOM and EU rules and regulations etc.
You're spot on about them not investing in something they won't see the benefit of for decades, it's exactly what I believe which makes me think Brexit is not about getting trade deals to MPs like JRM &CO, they just use the trade deals argument to justify leaving the EU.
Many of the people most hurt by Brexit will be moaning about how they feel so let down by our politicians in years to come, they will carry on listening to arguments by JRM&CO over Labour over spending as usual and vote them out again, in come the Tories running riot again, it's vicious circle we have had for decades.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:38:09 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2018, 04:02:15 pm »
The ERG have released a precis of their grand plan today. Ian Dunt gives it a good kicking: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/09/11/the-garbled-nonsense-of-jacob-rees-mogg-s-new-press-release

Highlight from what I've seen of it so far is that they really do think that removing all regulations for imports into the country is a wonderful idea. "Is this medicine fit for human consumption? Buyer beware!". Seriously.

On their tax cuts - key ones are inheritance tax and income tax. Only about 50% of the population will benefit from income tax cuts. But the cost will be carried disproportionately by the 50% who don't. Same thing with inheritance tax which would benefit only a small slice of the population. It's a massive transfer of wealth upwards.

I’m sure all that untaxed wealth will trickle down... just don’t hold your breath!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
I’m sure all that untaxed wealth will trickle down... just don’t hold your breath!
Yes.
The trickle down effect is often over egged.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »

The FAQ’s are brilliant. “Will foreign investment fall?” No. “The pound will go up and down but both outcomes are good”.

If this country wasnt populated by a majority of people who are thick as pig shit, they would see they have been taken for such a massive ride. Unfortunately, the residents of Great Britain are beyond help.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2018, 05:27:54 pm »
It’s funny that I’ve never heard of trickle-up theory.  I don’t see why it shouldn’t be the same in both directions - you cut taxes, people have more money, they spend it on stuff - but as far as I can tell nobody ever argues for that side of the coin.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2018, 05:44:53 pm »
Brexit: Jaguar boss issues stark warning for jobs and profits

The boss of the UK's biggest carmaker has warned the government to get "the right Brexit" or it could wipe out his firm's profits and end in big job cuts.

Jaguar Land Rover's Ralf Speth called the prospect of a cliff-edge break with the European Union as "horrifying".

He was speaking at a conference in Birmingham, where Theresa May unveiled a £106m "green" vehicle initiative.

A spokesman for the prime minister said her Chequers Brexit proposals included protections for the car industry.

Mr Speth, who has previously warned of Brexit's impact on JLR, said that if the "wrong decisions" were taken in the negotiations with Brussels, it could result in the "worst of times" for the UK and cost the company more than £1.2bn a year.

"Any friction at the border puts business at jeopardy," he said at the UK's first Zero Emission Vehicle Summit.

"We are absolutely firmly committed to the UK, it's our home. But a hard Brexit will cost Jaguar Land Rover more than £1.2bn a year - it's horrifying, wiping our profit, destroying investment in the autonomous, zero-emissions, we want to share."

He said that if poor UK productivity worsened after Brexit, he would be forced to move manufacturing to somewhere such as Poland, where it was cheaper to make cars.

About a quarter of a million people in the UK rely directly, or indirectly, on the success of his company, Mr Speth said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45489818

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2018, 06:04:29 pm »
Brexit: Jaguar boss issues stark warning for jobs and profits

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45489818

The Government had better take him seriously. JLR have shifted production of the Discovery and Discovery Sport to the new plant in Slovakia, plus will build the new defender. They have done this as they intend to produce the new Range Rovers, including the electric cars, from 2020 at Solihull. The plant in Slovakia can is fitted out for 150,000 vehicles a year but has the capacity to go up to 300,000 and took 2 years from starting to production at a cost of £1 billion. They can have a factory in Poland up and running by 2020 if they need to switch the Range Rovers abroad.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2018, 06:13:22 pm »
My sister works at a very level in a council with close contacts with Sinn Fein and SDLP. Apparently all these negotiations are purely for show- they are expecting a No Deal Brexit in March with a general election shortly after.

I'm not sure why the Tories would agree to an election in 2019 other than they fancy their chances better as compared to pre-Brexit election or a 3yrs post no deal Brexit. But the more that I think of it does look this is what is going to happen.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2018, 06:36:23 pm »

I see Johnson was present at this event, so he's not doing that much to distance himself from the headbangers despite refusing to endorse that ERG document mentioned in here the other day.

Mr Johnson, who made a surprise appearance at the launch of the report in Westminster, said Mrs May's Chequers plan would mean "abandoning our seat around the table in Brussels and continuing to accept the single market legislation".

He added: "That seems to me to be a particular economic risk in Chequers and makes it substantially worse than the status quo."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45483679

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:14 pm »
Derek Momodu
‏Verified account @DelMody

A picture is worth a thousand words..but 'shambles' springs to mind

Jacob Rees Mogg, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Iain Duncan Smith and Peter Bone at the launch of 'A World Trade Deal: The Complete Guide' at the Houses of Parliament

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »
It’s funny that I’ve never heard of trickle-up theory.  I don’t see why it shouldn’t be the same in both directions - you cut taxes, people have more money, they spend it on stuff - but as far as I can tell nobody ever argues for that side of the coin.

The theory is based on the idea that the wealthy are inherently more brighter then us plebs and invest their wealth to generate greater economic returns then us plebs who will spunk it all on fags, Super T’s and fried chicken.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2018, 08:06:19 pm »
Yes.
The trickle down effect is often over egged.

It’s not over egged, it’s a lie, a total fabrication used to dupe people in to acceptance of economic policy which benefits disproportionately those who already have the most at the expense of those with the least.
Thinking is overrated.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »
The Government had better take him seriously. JLR have shifted production of the Discovery and Discovery Sport to the new plant in Slovakia, plus will build the new defender. They have done this as they intend to produce the new Range Rovers, including the electric cars, from 2020 at Solihull. The plant in Slovakia can is fitted out for 150,000 vehicles a year but has the capacity to go up to 300,000 and took 2 years from starting to production at a cost of £1 billion. They can have a factory in Poland up and running by 2020 if they need to switch the Range Rovers abroad.

I agree with the sentiment but a few things aren't correct. Firstly the Discovery Sport isn't going to be built in Slovakia because it is on the wrong platform. The Discovery sport is built on the Steel D8 platform. It is built at Halewood and Changshu in China.

It is the Discovery 5 that is being transferred to Slovakia. The Discovery is built from Aluminum on the PLA (Premium Lightweight Architecture) platform also known as D7u.

Secondly the plant in Nitra Slovakia was announced in 2015 and is still quite a way from being operational. Slovakia has a history of building cars and the infrastructure was already there. I would be amazed if JLR could get a plant up and running in Poland in less than 4 or 5 years.

The reason for moving production abroad hints at the problems a plant in Poland would have. Basically the 3 plants in Britain were running at full capacity and the limiting factor was the supply chain. It is incredibly difficult to create the skills, investment and infrastructure to build cars. The reason Slovakia was chosen was because of the existing supply chain that could be ramped up and pretty unprecedented state aid by the government of the Slovak Republic. 

As I said I agree with the sentiment though Britain has a once in a lifetime opportunity to get at the forefront of production of Hybrid and Battery Engine Vehicles.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:10 pm »
I agree with the sentiment but a few things aren't correct. Firstly the Discovery Sport isn't going to be built in Slovakia because it is on the wrong platform. The Discovery sport is built on the Steel D8 platform. It is built at Halewood and Changshu in China.

It is the Discovery 5 that is being transferred to Slovakia. The Discovery is built from Aluminum on the PLA (Premium Lightweight Architecture) platform also known as D7u.

Secondly the plant in Nitra Slovakia was announced in 2015 and is still quite a way from being operational. Slovakia has a history of building cars and the infrastructure was already there. I would be amazed if JLR could get a plant up and running in Poland in less than 4 or 5 years.

The reason for moving production abroad hints at the problems a plant in Poland would have. Basically the 3 plants in Britain were running at full capacity and the limiting factor was the supply chain. It is incredibly difficult to create the skills, investment and infrastructure to build cars. The reason Slovakia was chosen was because of the existing supply chain that could be ramped up and pretty unprecedented state aid by the government of the Slovak Republic. 

As I said I agree with the sentiment though Britain has a once in a lifetime opportunity to get at the forefront of production of Hybrid and Battery Engine Vehicles.

Cheers Al - it was from an article in the FT and my confusion comes from them saying that all Discovery sport utility vehicles were moving to Slovakia, didn't realise they were not including the Discovery Sport in that.I thought it was already operational, but in fact it will be by the end of 2018.

If JLR really wanted to get a plant up and running, as far as workforce goes, they could relocate the workforce from the UK, I'm sure that an attractive enough package would get them to go. I assumed the supply chain and infrastructure was in place, what with VW, Scania, MAN and Volvo, FIAT and General Motors all having plants in Poland and they used to have their own (admittedly shite) cars such as FSO.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2018, 09:41:59 pm »
If JLR really wanted to get a plant up and running, as far as workforce goes, they could relocate the workforce from the UK, I'm sure that an attractive enough package would get them to go.
Except for the British ones, who will no longer have the right to work in the EU?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:40 pm »

Yeah, that's worked really well the past couple of decades  ::)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
Except for the British ones, who will no longer have the right to work in the EU?

Non EU nationals work in the EU now, I'm sure agreements would be made to allow he British workers to work in the EU on a long term basis.

I've done some double checking, construction on the factory in Slovakia was begun in Sept 2016 and was due to open 3rd of this month, so if JLR started making contingency plans after the result of the referendum (hihgly likely I would have thought), it is feasible they could have another plant up and running by late 2020/early 2021.
Jurgen YNWA

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2018, 11:03:47 pm »
Non EU nationals work in the EU now, I'm sure agreements would be made to allow he British workers to work in the EU on a long term basis.

I've done some double checking, construction on the factory in Slovakia was begun in Sept 2016 and was due to open 3rd of this month, so if JLR started making contingency plans after the result of the referendum (hihgly likely I would have thought), it is feasible they could have another plant up and running by late 2020/early 2021.
Yeah, I see what you mean, they must have made the decision to set up in Slovakia well before the referendum but they started looking at Slovakia as a contingency plan if Brexit went ahead. their initial plans may have been changed already for all we know as I doubt they would announce to move production from the UK to Slovakia in 4-6 yrs, I doubt if they would have much problem relocating senior skilled UK workers but their are many men with skills in car factories that take a few yrs to develop, not a problem though as all car factories start off on very low production levels at first for this reason, I doubt if they would ask UK workers to go out and train their workforce if the plant is threatening UK plants,they would probably bring in the skills from India and China, Nissan would bring the skills in from Japan. it's all about long term strategy and long term investment to keep the company viable.
Brexit is threatening their viability, they've been telling everyone this for 2 yrs but for some reason people think these CEOs are bluffing, factories standing idol for hours on a regular basis will ruin them.if they thought this could be solved or the problem was short term then they would put up with delays but this a problem they know they will have for possibly decades.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2018, 11:11:42 pm »
Barnier confronts Raab over discovery of Brexit no-deal letters to EU27

Dominic Raab has been reprimanded by Michel Barnier after the EU’s chief negotiator discovered the British government had written to the 27 other member states asking for side negotiations on transport in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The Brexit secretary was confronted by Barnier during their most recent meeting in Brussels over correspondence sent in recent days to EU capitals by the Department for Transport.

The letters had asked the member states to prepare to engage with the British government in side deals on aviation and haulage, to allow key trade flows to continue in the event of the UK and the EU failing to come to an agreement on leaving the union by 29 March 2019.

The transport secretary, Chris Grayling, had ordered the letters to be sent despite being told less than two weeks ago by the European commission’s most senior trade official, Violeta Bulc, that without a deal this autumn, there would be no other agreements made to protect the UK economy.

Barnier is said to have reiterated that message to Raab, telling the cabinet minister: “If there is no deal, there is no trust.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/uk-should-remain-eus-closest-ally-after-brexit-may-tells-cabinet

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #355 on: September 11, 2018, 11:42:47 pm »
Barnier confronts Raab over discovery of Brexit no-deal letters to EU27

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/uk-should-remain-eus-closest-ally-after-brexit-may-tells-cabinet

Who knew?

Of course, mitigations can and will be put in place. But here we need to distinguish between those under the control of the UK government (building new customs
infrastructure, stockpiling medicines, creating new regulatory institutions) and those that are not (for instance negotiating memoranda of understanding sufficient to
keep flights in the air).

When it comes to the latter, we must consider the potential political context at the time of a no deal Brexit. As we have argued, this is likely to be one characterised by
a degree of bitterness and mutual recrimination as each side blames the other for the breakdown of the talks. In addition, the European Union is highly unlikely to be
willing to negotiate mitigating actions that are far more important for the UK than for the 27 unless and until they receive, at a minimum, credible assurances that the
withdrawal issues can be resolved (which, presumably, will require meaningful concessions from the UK, or a chaotic Brexit would not have occurred in the first place).

Cost of No Deal Revisited

I suppose it's an achievement for Grayling to recognise that there are things which do need to be sorted out if there isn't a deal into a transition? Daft fucker suggested "digital" platforms as a solution to the need for Manchester Piccadilly to build real ones.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 11, 2018, 11:52:10 pm »
Is the Daily Mail a remain paper now?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:22 pm »
Is the Daily Mail a remain paper now?
New editor who is a remainer so hopefully pro remain now.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:36 am »
New editor who is a remainer so hopefully pro remain now.
would guess they go more ‘impossible to get a good deal’ after a bit when their readers realise they were sold a kipper as opposed to a full 180

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2018, 01:28:17 am »
would guess they go more ‘impossible to get a good deal’ after a bit when their readers realise they were sold a kipper as opposed to a full 180
Hopefully that's the end game. Looks like the first stage is to make ERG look like the game is up, they know people are beginning to see them for what they are. Charlatans the lot of them.
               Emily Maitlis