Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676661 times)

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • My blog
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #280 on: October 7, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »
???
it isn't that penalty wasn't because he beat some guy was clear on goal or something. it wasn't even a penalty it was outside the box and he didn't do anything.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #281 on: October 7, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
it isn't that penalty wasn't because he beat some guy was clear on goal or something. it wasn't even a penalty it was outside the box and he didn't do anything.
It was inside the box. The first contact happened outside the box but he was clearly tugged back inside.

It was soft but it was a penalty.

The fact that he made that run after playing a one-two with Suarez shows good play. Just because he wasn't through on goal doesn't mean he doesn't deserve any credit for it. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: October 7, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

You say he didn't do anything, I say he showed initiative getting forward and good positioning. It asked a difficult question of the defender which led to said defender making a mistake and giving away a soft penalty. If it was outside (i'm unsure) then it was only by inches and very well could have been a penalty.  I don't think it could be described as anything but good play on Sterling's part.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline dannylfc_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #283 on: October 7, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »
I think sometimes as a winger you can turn in really good performances or really bad ones, it just depends on your involvement in the game and that little bit of luck you need in one v one situations. I think Sterling is a great prospect for us.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #284 on: October 7, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »
thats really not indicative of good play
Of course it is, understanding in a one-two with Suarez then bursting into the box.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #285 on: October 7, 2013, 04:12:22 pm »
Fucking hell.

Sorry, but that's all.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #286 on: October 7, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »
He's 18?!?! Why didn't someone say so?!?!

:P
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #287 on: October 7, 2013, 04:17:48 pm »
He's 18?!?! Why didn't someone say so?!?!

:P

You know just because something is said a lot, it doesn't necessarily have to dilute the strength of the argument. Like, I know someone probably said it last week, as well as this week, but unlike on DER EXBOCKS lads can't develop several years worth of time in the space of a week.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #288 on: October 7, 2013, 04:20:42 pm »
Fucking hell.

Sorry, but that's all.
And you a RAWK writerer as well. Shame on you.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #289 on: October 8, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »
Of course it is, understanding in a one-two with Suarez then bursting into the box.
he wasnt playing well yesterday and i stand by that.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #290 on: October 8, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »
He won a penalty and created more chances than any other player in the team. Only Gerrard played more passes in the attacking third of the pitch.

He wasn't great but considering Toure, Henderson and Wisdom have played worse in that position I think he deserves some credit.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #291 on: October 8, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »
Considering he was played out of position and slated by home "fans" every time he made a mistake I think he did alright.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: October 9, 2013, 12:10:33 am »
Considering he was played out of position and slated by home "fans" every time he made a mistake I think he did alright.
He was?

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #293 on: October 9, 2013, 01:29:52 am »
He was?

I didn't realise he was a wing back.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 9, 2013, 01:38:42 am »
I didn't realise he was a wing back.
As a normal winger he still has to track back a lot to defend under Rodgers' system. It's not like he was playing as GK.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #295 on: October 9, 2013, 02:24:46 am »
As a normal winger he still has to track back a lot to defend under Rodgers' system. It's not like he was playing as GK.

But he was playing in a new role. Just because he's on the same side of the pitch doesn't mean it's an easy transition.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: October 9, 2013, 02:45:03 am »
But he was playing in a new role. Just because he's on the same side of the pitch doesn't mean it's an easy transition.
C'mon  :D you have to admit they're very similar.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #297 on: October 9, 2013, 02:52:43 am »
C'mon  :D you have to admit they're very similar.

No. Actually they're not
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 9, 2013, 02:54:57 am »

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 9, 2013, 03:13:18 am »
I'd quite like to see him get some more playing time in a team that like to play in a similar style - a Swansea, or Southampton perhaps.

A 6-month loan deal once the Christmas period is over could do him the world of good, and a spell in a first team might even help him sneak into the World Cup squad as the token surprise package.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #300 on: October 9, 2013, 03:14:15 am »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 9, 2013, 03:35:45 am »
He is a good player but i did not like the way he played this game, that is all.
He is gonna be good in two years time,imo.
He should be loaned just for one year to get some more experience.

Offline bas5times

• Anny Roader
  • Fickleness is not cool
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #302 on: October 9, 2013, 07:18:31 am »
He is a good player but i did not like the way he played this game, that is all.
He is gonna be good in two years time,imo.
He should be loaned just for one year to get some more experience.

Perhaps something to ask Luistio next time

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:19 am »
The initial demands of Sterling's camp were reportedly not that far short of the salary Reds stalwart Jamie Carragher was earning, and the contract he eventually signed was for the kind of money that even Owen and Gerrard didn't get until their early-mid-twenties. Of course the game has changed and players earn more money than ever, earlier than ever, but even allowing for that, Sterling's contract was excessive. If you give an 18-year-old kid that kind of money, don't be surprised if his form drops off, and if and when that happens, don't be shocked if the fans get on his case. You want to be paid like an experienced pro? Fine, but you'll be judged like one. Harsh, but that's football.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1720/sterling-derailed-by-lofty-expectations?cc=5901
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2013, 09:55:28 am »
snip. You want to be paid like an experienced pro? Fine, but you'll be judged like one. Harsh, but that's football.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1720/sterling-derailed-by-lofty-expectations?cc=5901

I found him frustrating against Palace. Loose passes, lots of fouls, including the one they scored from, and not at the level he seemed to be a year ago. If BR wants to go down the wing back route, we need players who can and do. That goes for Enrique too. He doesn't seem to have the urgency he once did. Down the spine of the side, our first choices are really strong. Our first choice wing backs do not cut it.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:41 am »
I'd suggest that Glen is our first choice right wing back. You're right about Enrique though...looking forward to seeing more of Sissokho
Believer

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
They are

yea but as wing back if you give the ball away you are almost always out of a good defensive position in which to thwart a counter attack.

I honestly think this weighed on sterling's mind the whole game because he was very deliberate with his passes which meant that he telegraphed a lot of them and they got cut out. I think he was constricted in his passing and movement because of the burden of defensive responsibility that was put on him.

He didn't have a good game at all but i still believe he could do a good job in that role when called upon.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »
I'd quite like to see him get some more playing time in a team that like to play in a similar style - a Swansea, or Southampton perhaps

What makes you think he would get into those first teams? Also, they are two clubs that are about our level, why would we strengthen them?
Xerxes MBE

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »

Last time I checked, traditional winger play doesnt involve backtracking. Its pretty much all-atk.. hence why it was so effective for counter attacking
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »
Very circular thread this.

Yes he looked tremendous when he stepped into the first team

Now he is looking pretty average.

Yes he is 18 an he can develop and the talent is there but will he tut out to be a top player ???

For me at the moment I think he has been found out, defenders now just don't give him time to get it out of his feet and run an as a result he loses the ball.

He final ball and shooting is poor ( he shooting very poor I'm my opinion ) but this can be worked on.

If you compare him to people similar to his age, Barkley is miles ahead of him, januzaj looks to have more about him based on the little I've seen. Players like isco were miles ahead if Raheem at the same age.

I think most people think he is going to turn out amazing or pretty average.

Who knows which one but in the last 18 months he hasn't progressed an you could argue he has gone backwards.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2013, 06:17:17 pm »
Starting for the under 21's.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2013, 06:44:02 pm »
Very circular thread this.

Yes he looked tremendous when he stepped into the first team

Now he is looking pretty average.

Yes he is 18 an he can develop and the talent is there but will he tut out to be a top player ???

For me at the moment I think he has been found out, defenders now just don't give him time to get it out of his feet and run an as a result he loses the ball.

He final ball and shooting is poor ( he shooting very poor I'm my opinion ) but this can be worked on.

If you compare him to people similar to his age, Barkley is miles ahead of him, januzaj looks to have more about him based on the little I've seen. Players like isco were miles ahead if Raheem at the same age.

I think most people think he is going to turn out amazing or pretty average.

Who knows which one but in the last 18 months he hasn't progressed an you could argue he has gone backwards.
Barkley is a year older than Sterling but physically he is years ahead. At Sterlings age Barkley was playing for Sheffield Wednesday and people were talking about him being a wasted talent. Severn games into the PL he is already the savior of English football.

Januzaj is being spoken about in the same way as Sterling was this time last season. Both burst onto the scene with match winning performances with Sterling getting called up into the England team.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
Barkley is a year older than Sterling but physically he is years ahead. At Sterlings age Barkley was playing for Sheffield Wednesday and people were talking about him being a wasted talent. Severn games into the PL he is already the savior of English football.

Januzaj is being spoken about in the same way as Sterling was this time last season. Both burst onto the scene with match winning performances with Sterling getting called up into the England team.
This. Let's see how Januzaj does once teams start preparing for him (which is no criticism of Januzaj by the way--think he's going to be a star, just like our Raheem).

Far be it for an 18 year old to have a lengthy a rough patch. Barkley, Wilshere, Ramsey, Sturridge, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and all the other top young lads hit the ground running in top-flight football and never slowed down. Oh, wait...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
Last time I checked, traditional winger play doesnt involve backtracking. Its pretty much all-atk.. hence why it was so effective for counter attacking

That type of winger hasn't existed since the 60's.

:D

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
Raheem Sterling
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
I think all the examples you have given are pretty poor there ;

Sturridge was just greedy and was played on the wing.

Ox - didn't know he had a lean patch early on I certainly didn't notice it.

Bale - was potentially good but he was physically weak but had the frame and height to grow into a power house. Look at bale now and when he was 18 he was probably 10 stone at 18 now he is what 13 and looks an athlete.

Ramsey got his leg destroyed and missed about 18 months

Walcott is exactly the same as he was then, kick it run fast and shoot.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
That type of winger hasn't existed since the 60's.

:D

Are you referring to the great Jimmy Carter?
Xerxes MBE

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »
I think all the examples you have given are pretty poor there ;

Sturridge was just greedy and was played on the wing.

Ox - didn't know he had a lean patch early on I certainly didn't notice it.

Bale - was potentially good but he was physically weak but had the frame and height to grow into a power house. Look at bale now and when he was 18 he was probably 10 stone at 18 now he is what 13 and looks an athlete.

Ramsey got his leg destroyed and missed about 18 months

Walcott is exactly the same as he was then, kick it run fast and shoot.
You can nitpick any individual comparison, but I think you'd struggle to name more than one or two recent youngsters in England who were immediate successes and didn't have a period where they struggled.

And the Walcott one in particular is bs. He may have the same style, but he has tons of end product now.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 10, 2013, 07:35:32 pm »

I don't think Carter even did any FORWARD tracking :D

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #318 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:02 pm »

Wow. Should have been hell of a winger running for the United States office AND playing as a winger!

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:07 pm »
Just been the victim of one of the most ridiculous bookings i've seen.