Author Topic: Ragnar Klavan  (Read 130459 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: Liverpool complete deal to sign Ragnar Klavan
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2016, 11:57:51 am »
My only question mark about him is considering how often we flood the opposition box these days is will Klavan have the legs (considering his age) to hold the high-ish defensive line with Lovren because when the move breaks down and we have a lot of players in the final third it is essential for our CBs to keep us compact and be in the best position possible to contest the second balls and stop the counter-attacks.

I`ve noticed on couple of occasions that he dragged us back a bit but also saw him out-sprint somebody like Alexis. It will be interesting to see how much courage both him and Lovren will have to push up when we are pressing high up the pitch because it will be all in vain if our CBs keep our shape too stretched vertically on the pitch.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2016, 12:28:49 pm »
Klavan was brought in as cover though, Klopp spoke of this prior to signing him.
I thought Jurgen said the opposite of that.  Something about Liverpool fans watching Klavan play this season and it becoming obvious he's good enough to start for us and not just here as back up.

Can't find the quote though, so entirely possible I've dreamt it.   :)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2016, 04:53:25 pm »
I thought Jurgen said the opposite of that.  Something about Liverpool fans watching Klavan play this season and it becoming obvious he's good enough to start for us and not just here as back up.

Can't find the quote though, so entirely possible I've dreamt it.   :)

I recall Klopp saying something along those lines
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »
Yeah, Klopp did say something like that, but to be honest, at the end of the day, when all fit, the CB pairing will most likely be 2 of Sakho, Lovren and Matip.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »
Yeah, Klopp did say something like that, but to be honest, at the end of the day, when all fit, the CB pairing will most likely be 2 of Sakho, Lovren and Matip.

Yeah Klopp did say something like that....but you believe something else, so its likely what you believe is correct...over what Klopp said? Right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2016, 05:24:52 pm »
“I've heard that people have been talking about (Ragnar) Klavan as our fourth option (at centre-back). Wait and see him play and then tell me again that he should wait until all the others are injured or something," said Klopp to the Liverpool Echo.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »
“I've heard that people have been talking about (Ragnar) Klavan as our fourth option (at centre-back). Wait and see him play and then tell me again that he should wait until all the others are injured or something," said Klopp to the Liverpool Echo.

It's nice to have some serious competition between good cbs for a change  :thumbup

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2016, 05:44:16 pm »
It's nice to have some serious competition between good cbs for a change  :thumbup

And on merit too. I liked Rodgers but I was growing sick of his favouritism rather than picking the best players in form.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2016, 05:46:28 pm »
Yeah Klopp did say something like that....but you believe something else, so its likely what you believe is correct...over what Klopp said? Right?

We'll see who tops the appearance table at the end of the season. I feel Klopp was just bigging him up because everyone was calling him 4th choice.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
We'll see who tops the appearance table at the end of the season. I feel Klopp was just bigging him up because everyone was calling him 4th choice.

Not quite sure why people are so keen to disbelieve what the manager says  :-\

If Klavan keeps performing well in a winning team, I'd be pretty confident he'll stay in the team. If others get the chance to play and perform better, I'm sure they'll play more often.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »
Not quite sure why people are so keen to disbelieve what the manager says  :-\

If Klavan keeps performing well in a winning team, I'd be pretty confident he'll stay in the team. If others get the chance to play and perform better, I'm sure they'll play more often.

No shit, Sherlock.

Where were you in the Moreno thread, btw?

Not everything Klopp says is gospel. He said Mignolet was perfect for us, only to buy a new GK a few months later.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:03:50 pm by SC04OCT »

Offline Adeel90

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
So I know nothing about the lad, and haven't seen any of pre-season. How has he been getting on? What are his main strengths and weaknesses? From early indications, how does he rank with respect to our other centre backs and are we expecting him to be first choice this season?
'Aim for the sky and you will reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you won't get off the floor.' Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2016, 06:18:30 pm »
No shit, Sherlock.

What d'you mean no shit, Sherlock? You literally posted a couple of posts up that despite what Klopp said about players earning their place and Klavan not coming in as 4th choice, that you thought it was likely he'd be 4th choice :lmao

And what Moreno thread? I dunno?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2016, 06:25:11 pm »
Watched the Arsenal game again. He really had a great game. On the front foor when needed and always kept a good deeper position otherwise. Good and sure distribution, and great awareness in tight situation. Wasn't extremely tested due to the single threat of Alexis in the middle, but a very good performance overall. He also showed he still has some good acceleration for being over 30.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2016, 11:00:17 pm »
What d'you mean no shit, Sherlock? You literally posted a couple of posts up that despite what Klopp said about players earning their place and Klavan not coming in as 4th choice, that you thought it was likely he'd be 4th choice :lmao

And what Moreno thread? I dunno?

Like I said, Klopp also said Mignolet was perfect for Liverpool, then bought a replacement a few months later. Not everything he says is gospel. It doesn't take a genius to realise that Klavan is a back up option, despite Klopp hyping him up.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2016, 05:17:24 pm »
Only seen him two times in an official game for us so it`s impossible to know how actually good he is but the early signs are very worrying as he was really horrible for their second goal, having had two chances to clear and was to weak and also being even weaker when Gray just brushed him off afterwards. And all this was practically all the defending he had to do today. He has everything to prove till the end of the season.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2016, 05:45:26 pm »
Only seen him two times in an official game for us so it`s impossible to know how actually good he is but the early signs are very worrying as he was really horrible for their second goal, having had two chances to clear and was to weak and also being even weaker when Gray just brushed him off afterwards. And all this was practically all the defending he had to do today. He has everything to prove till the end of the season.

utter hyperbolic crap. we didn't lose today because of our central defenders. it was lost in front of them

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »
utter hyperbolic crap. we didn't lose today because of our central defenders. it was lost in front of them
They stepped in to our half two times the entire match and we conceded twice.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2016, 05:50:33 pm »

That's not solely down to the centre-backs though.

He needs time, the same as all of the other new players.  I would like to see Matip get a chance but I'm not going to be too criticial of Klavan just yet.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2016, 05:51:38 pm »
I'm not going to be too criticial of Klavan just yet.
Me neither as I need to see much more to see how good he is but I`m very worried by the early signs.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2016, 05:54:36 pm »

conveniently forgetting the frequent times lovren and klavan intercepted their balls forward. they were the biggest reason they only got at us a couple of times. their high line defending against a very pacy player was pretty cohesive

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2016, 05:59:58 pm »
conveniently forgetting the frequent times lovren and klavan intercepted their balls forward. they were the biggest reason they only got at us a couple of times. their high line defending against a very pacy player was pretty cohesive
Please don`t talk rubbish, they had 20% possession, had two attacks the entire game and scored two goals. Our defence had nothing to do the entire game and they still conceded customary 2 goals. This should have been 0-0 at worst.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »
Please don`t talk rubbish, they had 20% possession, had two attacks the entire game and scored two goals. Our defence had nothing to do the entire game and they still conceded customary 2 goals. This should have been 0-0 at worst.

i'm sorry you're upset, but it's you that's talking rubbish.

it's easy to say the defence had nothing to do but there's a reason for that. it's because they were proactive and they cut out almost every ball forward.

there were a couple of times where our attack was so shite, we were at risk of being countered but klavan and especially lovren even coped with that despite being much slower than gray

find a different scapegoat

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2016, 06:06:17 pm »
Caught out badly today.

Genuine question, but is he an upgrade on Toure?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2016, 06:07:07 pm »
klavan and especially lovren even coped with that despite being much slower than gray
Yeah, they handled him brilliantly well for his goal where he beaten more players than Ox last week.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »
Yeah, they handled him brilliantly well for his goal where he beaten more players than Ox last week.
Henderson was a bigger culprit before Klavan there.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »
I thought Lovren was atrocious for their second goal, turning his back on the ball in a half-arsed attempt to block the shot. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the player who was signed as a 'leader' is scared of a bit of leather. He done it against Arsenal last week, he done it against Roma in pre-season and he's done plenty of times before (see Vardy's goal away in the 2-0 loss last season as one example).

I'll see the argument that he's avoiding the handball but it's not just that. He genuinely seems scared of getting hit by the ball. Sakho on the other hand will dive head first if it means blocking the shot, the same kind of last ditch defending that John Terry made a career from and the type that has just gotten Ashley Williams a move to Everton (not a huge move, but he's a good pure defender).

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:54 pm »
Lovren was by far and away our best player today. reading that it just sounds like you already had a preconceived view of him and found a way to fit some criticism in around that

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2016, 06:18:11 pm »
I thought Lovren was atrocious for their second goal, turning his back on the ball in a half-arsed attempt to block the shot.

He has that annoying habit of turning his back on shots, almost being sideways on, when a shot comes in. See some goals from last season, and Arsenal's second goal last week. Needs to man up and take a few shots in the face or midrift.

But at least his own game today was decent - made no mistakes himself.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:22 pm »
Lovren was by far and away our best player today. reading that it just sounds like you already had a preconceived view of him and found a way to fit some criticism in around that

Not really. He won plenty of headers and didn't get into positions where Gray could use his pace against him. But for the second goal he's just as culpable as anybody. Look at how he 'tries' to block the shot. It's not good enough.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2016, 06:28:13 pm »
Should have won that challenge against Defour.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2016, 06:39:59 pm »
Caught out badly today.

Only slightly it would seem. But then again he wasn't bought to be anything else.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2016, 07:43:23 pm »
Caught out badly today.

Yes he is. Watch how calm he is on the ball and how he always picks out a forward pass. Kolo was a pure hoofball merchant for us, completely unsuited to how we want to play. Klopp spoke about this when he replaced Kolo with Lucas in one of our games last season.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
He didn't close down Vokes quick enough on the first, and then like everyone else - Gray cut totally destroyed him on the second - the second was a comedy of errors by several people.

He played fine otherwise in terms of at least being proactive with the ball and then what little other defending was needed.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
He's lucky to have Lovren beside him today. Saved his arse a few times.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2016, 12:52:23 am »
He's come here as cover having let Toure and Skrtel go. Once Matip is judged to be match fit he'll be on the bench. He is what he is, an experienced squad 3rd choice CB who's been thrust into the first team due to injuries to players ahead of him. Did quite well at the Emirates, is a game lad who seems to have settled in very well and he comes across very well in his interviews but unfortunately had a miserable afternoon today. He'll be an important player for us this season when called upon. Two games into his PL career he'll have soon realised that making a mistake at this level and you get punished.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
He's lucky to have Lovren beside him today. Saved his arse a few times.
And vice-versa. He made a few mistakes and saved us a few times. He's behind Matip and Sakho in the pecking order, remember that. I think that he's arguably the best 4th choice CB in the league.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sajets

• Red from Estonia
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
http://www.balls.ie/football/ragnar-klavan-liverpool-brian-kerr/343511

That Kerr dude is just lying. Faroe Island has never scored 3 goals against Estonia. Yes, they once beat Estonia 2:0 but Klavan didn't play in that game because of bookings. Not that I think he had a good game on Saturday, but just to put the record straight.