Author Topic: MS Flight Simulator 2020  (Read 3875 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
MS Flight Simulator 2020
« on: August 17, 2020, 06:45:32 pm »
This looks amazing... but mainly making this thread as I am playing it NOW

How? Well you need it on Gamepass (or just not Steam)

Go to Windows > Settings > Region (NOT date or time)

Set your Region to Kiribati... launch the Xbox app.

Done  ;D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 07:25:05 pm »
Nice one

How big is the download and can you play before it's 100%?, I read it's around 150gb, store page says 127gb, didn't think it would be that big as a lot of the map data is streamed when you need it

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:37:42 pm »
Nice one

How big is the download and can you play before it's 100%?, I read it's around 150gb, store page says 127gb, didn't think it would be that big as a lot of the map data is streamed when you need it

My copy says 91gb... FFS, I spent ages over the weekend downloading it, but I got into the game just now (hence my excited post!), got to set some settings them BAM! 91gb of data to get.

... I'll let you know if it lets me in before all of it is done! what's stupid is it doesn't have a progress %. I've downloaded 11gb since posting this thread haha

But yeah if anyone happened to download 100gb of it ahead of time, you can likely look at your house from above nooooooooow  :D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:39:55 pm »
I've got a blue progress bar at about 20% but it hasn't moved since I set the accessibility settings, not sure if it's downloading anything but if it is it's slow cos it's not fucking with my IPTV
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:41:31 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:42:22 pm »
I started downloading it after reading this post and it let me launch the game after about 10 minutes but I got as far as the initial settings page and after that it just sat there with music and a nice background with no menu or anything to indicate if it was loading or waiting for more content downloading... left it for about 10 minutes and nothing.

To be fair I'm not sure how well this will run on my average PC with fairly crap graphics card anyway. Will probably get the Xbox version when it comes out.

Mine said 152 GB.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 07:44:56 pm »
Ignore the weird brightness as I've got weird HDR settings on but if the game is grabbing data it should have a bar like this:

My mate who started this at midday (jeeeesus!) is in now. Said the downloads look slow anyway as the damn thing is unzipping everything as it goes along!

Beginning to think I'll be lucky to get into it tonight....

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 08:06:54 pm »
Ignore the weird brightness as I've got weird HDR settings on but if the game is grabbing data it should have a bar like this:

My mate who started this at midday (jeeeesus!) is in now. Said the downloads look slow anyway as the damn thing is unzipping everything as it goes along!

Beginning to think I'll be lucky to get into it tonight....

Yeah mine is not even getting that far.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 08:08:57 pm »
Restarted my PC and got the downloading screen now, Kiribati internet is shite, must be the 500k people who've suddenly moved there this afternoon ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 08:15:01 pm »
Restarted my PC and got the downloading screen now, Kiribati internet is shite, must be the 500k people who've suddenly moved there this afternoon ;D

Do you live in Kiribati?!

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
Do you live in Kiribati?!

I do now, decided to move an hour ago ;D

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 08:23:04 pm »

I'm only getting 500 KiriBatis/second.  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 08:25:14 pm »
I do now, decided to move an hour ago ;D

Haha didn’t even read the OP.  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:20 pm »
Well I've downloaded 50gb. Still 41gb to go. That'll do for now.

Just checked, I paused it, waited a minute, closed the window. And fortunately it remembered my download process.

So while I didn't get to play it tonight, at least I cut tomorrow's download in half!

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 10:46:57 pm »
Dirty cheaters all of you... ;D

Looking forward to this, but will probably have to wait until tomorrow evening to give it a try. Don't get why they don't have apre-load for this...

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 11:03:53 pm »
A couple of hundred or thousands of people have also moved to Kiribati today, hope they can accomodate us all ;D

Started my download now, saves me having to wait till midnight. Can't wait, I've been playing FSX since 2006 and switched to X-Plane 11 a few years ago but they both look prehistoric compared to FS2020.

Looking forward to the feedback on what everyone thinks of it and most importantly, the screenshots :)

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 11:10:14 pm »
Downloading now as well and I didn't even have to cheat, because it is already midnight. One thing that is already annoying is that it opens the game to install it and you have the annoying elevator music playing while installing. It is also not really clear what the path is your supposed to pick. Is that the install folder or is that the place where it places the temporary files for the installation and it then installs the game in your standard Gamepass-folder or drive...

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 11:32:01 pm »
Downloading now as well and I didn't even have to cheat, because it is already midnight. One thing that is already annoying is that it opens the game to install it and you have the annoying elevator music playing while installing. It is also not really clear what the path is your supposed to pick. Is that the install folder or is that the place where it places the temporary files for the installation and it then installs the game in your standard Gamepass-folder or drive...

I'm not sure why it shows you that path, must be something to do with your account on the PC? it looks like everything is downloaded straight to the folder you have set in your storage settings, the ssd I've got windows installed on isn't that big and was worried it might download temp files then unpack them but the free space on the drive hasn't changed

Slow download though, only done 31gb since about 8pm

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 01:53:58 am »
Download went pretty smoothly and I gave it a try. Will have to plug in my joystick though. Flying with the keyboard is just impossible. Tried flying over my house, but was too busy keeping the fucking thing in the air. Didn't pick the right plane in the beginning it seems as I couldn't even really get it off the ground. It went into stall right after take-off and then went down like a stone. Changed the plane and it went smoother, but I crashed that one as well after about three minutes in the air. ;) The graphics look insane though... Wow...

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 04:10:31 am »
Is it not possible to fly with the mouse? Keyboard like you said is impossible, got a Cessna doing aerobatics straight after takeoff. Also how do you get rid of all the hud stuff on the screen?

The game itself is great but I'm really disappointed with my pc. Thought it would be up to the job as it meets recommended requirements but didn't even manage to get medium graphics.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 07:17:56 am »
Don't know, but I'm not sure that that would be much better. Could only have a brief look at the options as it was pretty late already and I had to get up early today. Will give it a proper try in the evening with the stick. In terms of running it looked pretty decent. It auto detected high settings in 4K resolution and I had no issues during my brief test. I might have to dial it back a bit maybe when I'm flying from a bigger airport, because I only tried it at a small airfield that is close to where I live.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 08:43:00 am »
Back to the download :D

But I plugged in my PS4 controller (I use DS4windows to make it think it's an Xbox controller) and that's supported  :)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 08:44:37 am »
Can you fly over the city of Liverpool?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 08:46:07 am »
Anfield looks like it's made out of lego & the kop looks more like a warehouse, at least with the tinderbox you can see the shape of the stands

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 08:51:53 am »
Can you fly over the city of Liverpool?

Yeah, first flight I did was from Speke to Woodvale, well it was probably the 3rd attempt as I managed to stall a couple of times and fell out of the air ;D

Worst landing ever then when parking the plane there was some fella waving me into the bay with them stick things, brakes didn't work and he went through the propeller or at least should have done, he was still there waving at me when I looped back around into the bay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 08:59:04 am »
Ended up having to uninstall, pc just couldn't handle it even on low settings. Even though I'm on recommended specs (Ryzen 7 1700x, 16gb RAM, GTX980, 500GB SSD). Looks like I'll need to either upgrade to a 2060Super and increase ram to 32gb or wait for the Xbox version.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 09:12:56 am »
Ended up having to uninstall, pc just couldn't handle it even on low settings. Even though I'm on recommended specs (Ryzen 7 1700x, 16gb RAM, GTX980, 500GB SSD). Looks like I'll need to either upgrade to a 2060Super and increase ram to 32gb or wait for the Xbox version.

Doesn't sound right that, you have a better cpu than mine, I'm still running a fairly old i5 and have been putting off a new build for a couple of years now as I mainly play Ark and that's been held back by consoles so no real need to upgrade, I've got a 1070 & 16gb ram, game is installed on hdd as I didn't have enough room on any of my ssd's and it runs fine apart from the initial load after setting a flight up which takes a while due to the hdd, the recommended settings in game were a lot higher than I was expecting and I've not had to tone them down, might have to if I fly something bigger than a Cessna or start at a large airport but just flying small aircraft around Liverpool and the northwest has been fine

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 11:27:49 am »
This is from Reddit, they haven't done London yet so it is all AI generated and results in this for Buckingham Palace.  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:28 am »
Doesn't sound right that, you have a better cpu than mine, I'm still running a fairly old i5 and have been putting off a new build for a couple of years now as I mainly play Ark and that's been held back by consoles so no real need to upgrade, I've got a 1070 & 16gb ram, game is installed on hdd as I didn't have enough room on any of my ssd's and it runs fine apart from the initial load after setting a flight up which takes a while due to the hdd, the recommended settings in game were a lot higher than I was expecting and I've not had to tone them down, might have to if I fly something bigger than a Cessna or start at a large airport but just flying small aircraft around Liverpool and the northwest has been fine
Yeah someone else also told me that it doesn't quite sound right, no idea how to fix it though! Might run task manager and a stress test to see what it going on

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 12:01:29 pm »
Looks awesome and am a keen simulator fan. Its got a year or 2 to catch up with P3D or FSX in terms of the  sheer amount of craft, inc rotorcraft, which this sim will not have for quite a while, though when it gets going its going to be incredible.

Glad I didn't shell out for it on Steam, hearing many issues with installation and still requires an MS account anyway. That would also be bearable but due to some random brain fart at their end my MS account is locked until early September. Twats.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:08 pm »
Anfield is shocking

The Pit

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:36 pm »
Paying a quid for game pass this month is the best money I've spent in a while.

All installed, got it set up.. It recommends High settings!

So I'll crack open a few bevvies when I fire it up after work :D

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2020, 02:22:56 pm »
Mines running fine on medium settings on a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB RAM and an RX570. Also had to install on HDD so initial loading times are a bit slow.

Tried with the keyboard but it is so much easier now I'm using an old 360 controller.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2020, 02:26:51 pm »
Mine seems to be running ok again. I'm playing on a 48 inch TV so had to tweak the settings and resolutions a bit. No idea why Manchester Airport has two control towers on this though.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »
Flying to Ayres rock from an airstrip about 115m SW of it, set off at sunrise and it's chilled as fuck, need some beers and something to smoke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 03:02:44 pm »
Mines running fine on medium settings on a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB RAM and an RX570. Also had to install on HDD so initial loading times are a bit slow.

Tried with the keyboard but it is so much easier now I'm using an old 360 controller.
Also just out of interest, what controls are you using on your controller? IE, what buttons for throttle, brakes, flaps extend etc?

Flying to Ayres rock from an airstrip about 115m SW of it, set off at sunrise and it's chilled as fuck, need some beers and something to smoke
Yeah I too have found it really relaxing. Would be even better on VR

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 03:45:50 pm »
Also just out of interest, what controls are you using on your controller? IE, what buttons for throttle, brakes, flaps extend etc?
Yeah I too have found it really relaxing. Would be even better on VR

Just on the defaults. A and B gor throttle, Y for brake. Left thumbstick for the yoke and RT and LT for rudder.

Using the keyboard for the rest,

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 06:16:58 pm »
Oh using my controller is so easy. Y and B to unlock the brakes then throttle with A

Already had a nose at Portugal, Nice, my gaff, the huge white square that is Anfield... feels absolutely boss.

Predictably I get bored ten minutes into a flight but I'm gonna retrace loads of my holidays on it. See the world!

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 06:35:31 pm »
A shame they're using Bing, there's absolutely no photogrammetry data for the UK outside of Southampton whilst Google Maps has all of it. :(

:D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2020, 06:41:37 pm »
Yeah someone else also told me that it doesn't quite sound right, no idea how to fix it though! Might run task manager and a stress test to see what it going on

Did you update your Nvidia drivers yesterday?

I didn't and it's run fine today, updated them while I was having dinner and it started running like shit so rolled them back and it's fine again flying the same plane/route as I was with the latest drivers, in fact got live weather on and it was clear when I tried with new drivers and now it's in the middle of a storm with the old drivers so a lot more effects to process as well

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 07:23:29 pm »
Yeah downloaded the driver. Just ran task manager and it seem the cpu is only running on 16%, no wonder I'm having so many issues with this!