Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 8657 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
The Home Improvement Thread
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
Thought I would make a seperate thread from the "The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread" for home improvement/building work etc advice. If one already exists then please merge!

I have a question, getting some Velux Windows put into my roof and a builder who is brother of a close friend has said that he'll need some scaffolding in order to do it. Probably to do the flashing on the outside. I would have thought this could be done without scaffolding? It's gonna make the cost sky rocket!

Anyone had this done in theirs? And ballpark figure?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
Is it not to do with health and safety?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:23:35 pm »
Is it not to do with health and safety?
Well I would assume so. I just didn't think it was necessary. Maybe its at the builders discretion?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:29:15 pm »
Well I would assume so. I just didn't think it was necessary. Maybe its at the builders discretion?

I imagine there are builders who won't comply with current H&S regs, but they'll be running the risk of criminal convictions if the worst happens.

From what I can gather the vast majority of jobs involving heights (i.e. being on the roof) requires scaffolding.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »
Home improvement thread, I thought this would be about El C's bathroom remodel.

Disappointed.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »

You don't think its necessary for the builder to give himself and/or his workers the safest means possible of doing a high risk job? Why would a contractor suck up the cost for materials that are needed to do the job without passing them on to the client?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:00 pm »
Thought I would make a seperate thread from the "The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread" for home improvement/building work etc advice. If one already exists then please merge!

I have a question, getting some Velux Windows put into my roof and a builder who is brother of a close friend has said that he'll need some scaffolding in order to do it. Probably to do the flashing on the outside. I would have thought this could be done without scaffolding? It's gonna make the cost sky rocket!

Anyone had this done in theirs? And ballpark figure?

I work in the Tool Hire industry, those pesky bastards in the EU made these stupid rules that working at height needed proper scaffolding or platforms. At least after Brexit these can be junked and we can get back to people falling off the roof.

Seriously though, yes it's all to do with the working at heights regs. We had to write off all kinds of trestles and ladders due to it. If you look at any job where roofing work is being done these days you will see it scaffolded. Ask if he can do it off an alloy tower or does he require a full scaffold.

Based on the price of a full scaffold, it might be cheaper for him to hire a mobile platform/scissor lift if there is easy access to where the work is being done.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 02:56:11 pm »
Needs scaffolding mate. The problem is not access, the H&S risks mean scaffolding offers better protection.

You can get your Fred Dibnah type roofers who are happy to go up a ladder and do somersaults on your roof, but those guys are (a) Crazy and (b) Cowboys. Any professional who values their work would insist on scaffolding.

The last place you want a cowboy is on the roof. You will pay for it later.

There was a case a few years ago where a builder slipped off a ladder and tried suing the homeowner. Went to the court of appeal and the homeowner won in the end, but shows what can go wrong (Kmiecic v Isaacs [2011] EWCA Civ 451).

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »
You don't think its necessary for the builder to give himself and/or his workers the safest means possible of doing a high risk job? Why would a contractor suck up the cost for materials that are needed to do the job without passing them on to the client?
I didn't think it was necessary to have a scaffold, no. Thought they could possibly do it from the inside or using some sort of lift. I never said I don't think its necessary for any builder to put their safety first. Jeez.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 03:49:20 pm »
I work in the Tool Hire industry, those pesky bastards in the EU made these stupid rules that working at height needed proper scaffolding or platforms. At least after Brexit these can be junked and we can get back to people falling off the roof.

Seriously though, yes it's all to do with the working at heights regs. We had to write off all kinds of trestles and ladders due to it. If you look at any job where roofing work is being done these days you will see it scaffolded. Ask if he can do it off an alloy tower or does he require a full scaffold.

Based on the price of a full scaffold, it might be cheaper for him to hire a mobile platform/scissor lift if there is easy access to where the work is being done.
Thanks for the responses (everyone). Getting two windows put in so he said he need scaffolding as tower isn't wide enough to do both.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
https://www.cherryleaf.com/2014/01/the-roofer-who-makes-400day-because-he-read-the-velux-installation-guide/

This fella looks like he does the lot from the inside. This was my line of thinking when I questioned the use of a scaffold.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 05:19:01 pm »
https://www.cherryleaf.com/2014/01/the-roofer-who-makes-400day-because-he-read-the-velux-installation-guide/

This fella looks like he does the lot from the inside. This was my line of thinking when I questioned the use of a scaffold.

I'm no expert, but on a real job, I think he would have to remove the existing roof tiles from outside. Also, when working from the inside, he would need either a harness or something on the building in case he fell out the window.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:12 am »

After watching that you should be able to do it yourself! :D

As Rob said, he will need access to the outside to get tiles off and cut them. Can hire an alloy tower for about £100 a week.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 10:58:57 am »
After watching that you should be able to do it yourself! :D

As Rob said, he will need access to the outside to get tiles off and cut them. Can hire an alloy tower for about £100 a week.
Haha I thought that myself until a few minutes in!

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2018, 06:51:01 pm »
Kinell,

Since buying this house its like people dont want my money!

Had so many no shows and contractors time wasting its unbelievable.

Trying to get a staircase built and fitted but so hard to find anyone who can do it. The one I did find the convo went like this

Joiner: "Im super busy so I can't fit you in sorry"

Me: "So can you book me in at some point in the future?"

Joiner: "Not really mate, no"

Unbelievable.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2018, 07:37:26 pm »
That's code for he doesn't want the job, I do it all the time to customers [emoji23]

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 7, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »
That's code for he doesn't want the job, I do it all the time to customers [emoji23]
Can you build staircases? haha

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: August 7, 2018, 01:06:39 pm »
Kinell,

Since buying this house its like people dont want my money!

Had so many no shows and contractors time wasting its unbelievable.

Trying to get a staircase built and fitted but so hard to find anyone who can do it. The one I did find the convo went like this

Joiner: "Im super busy so I can't fit you in sorry"

Me: "So can you book me in at some point in the future?"

Joiner: "Not really mate, no"

Unbelievable.

Use Airtasker, Much better at finding people who genuinely want to put and offer into do a job.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 7, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
Where do you live, owens_2k?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 7, 2018, 11:42:28 pm »
Can you build staircases? haha
No but I can tile them after they are up [emoji23]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2018, 11:39:28 am »
Thanks for the responses (everyone). Getting two windows put in so he said he need scaffolding as tower isn't wide enough to do both.

Have you explained to him that perhaps he could do one of the windows, descend from the tower, move the tower along a bit, re-climb the tower, then do the second window?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 08:04:37 am »

We’ve had that with builders! Out of curriosity, why would  you not be straight.
Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:26 am »
For anyone looking to redo their bathroom or kitchen in London, Tile depot came up trumps for good value tiles and switched on staff. We got our wood laminate  flooring, from Howdens. If you go with them, make sure your builder can negotiate a good discount.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 07:06:06 pm »
We’ve had that with builders! Out of curriosity, why would  you not be straight.
Yeah I don't think "I don't want to tile your bathroom because it's minging" would go down too well [emoji23]

I don't do it often to be honest but some jobs you just getting a feeling it's going to be a pain in the arse from the off, either the customer seems hardwork to deal with or the job itself isn't worth the hassle.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 10:43:44 pm »
Yeah I don't think "I don't want to tile your bathroom because it's minging" would go down too well [emoji23]

I don't do it often to be honest but some jobs you just getting a feeling it's going to be a pain in the arse from the off, either the customer seems hardwork to deal with or the job itself isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah that would stop me wanting the job a shit hole of a  house or a pain in the arse prospective customer , once had a fella phone me about fitting an electric shower for him , " just come and educate me " he says patronisingly , there's certain people with atitude you dont wanna work for . if im too busy I'll just say it whereas I know some tradesman who just can't say no so basically lie and then piss people off

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
Where do you live, owens_2k?
South Liverpool mate.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 12:59:50 am »
After picking my keys up to my 1st owned house, I think I'll be spending some time in here. I know we'll need a new kitchen and will need someone in to skim over the artex ceiling eventually. But for now it's a load of flat pack and moving stuff around. So glad to be in a place where we can paint and wallpaper without having to worry about a landlord

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 08:12:45 pm »
Fuck! The price of conservatories these days!!!

Had 2 quotes and both way over what we thought was a decent/generous budget.

Cheaper to get an extension - seriously.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 08:17:17 pm »
After picking my keys up to my 1st owned house, I think I'll be spending some time in here. I know we'll need a new kitchen and will need someone in to skim over the artex ceiling eventually. But for now it's a load of flat pack and moving stuff around. So glad to be in a place where we can paint and wallpaper without having to worry about a landlord

We got our kitchen from Howdens - the lad who fitted it opened an account and got something daft like 75% discount. 5 years later it still looks sound.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 06:05:07 pm »
Anyone got underfloor heating? Going to get the electric type in the floor of the kitchen which we are having extended.

Was recently warned off getting an IKEA kitchen, especially if your house isn't a new build. Apparently all the units fit onto a rack that's screwed into the wall but because the old walls aren't exactly square it makes all your units look a mess.

This is not from experience, just what I've been told.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 11:20:06 pm »
So I had a fun day. The guy I got in to do the plastering managed to get himself arrested driving on his lunch break with thc in his system. All his tools are still in our house and half the artex ceiling is still artex.

Home ownership is fun :P

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:35 am »
Was recently warned off getting an IKEA kitchen, especially if your house isn't a new build. Apparently all the units fit onto a rack that's screwed into the wall but because the old walls aren't exactly square it makes all your units look a mess.

I've heard that as well, also that it'd be really hard to find someone who'll fit it cos they're a pain in the arse! Bloody trades ;D

You had a look at Wren? Ours is from there, can't say a bad word about them.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 09:47:04 am »
When you get an extension done do you need to draft up an agreement with the builders? To make sure they do everything they say they are going to do?

I'm getting quotes for work at the moment and creating a matrix of what builders are including what as part of the extension/demolish works. Problem is they won't give me a breakdown so I cant say "scratch that off I'll sort it myself"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 06:24:34 am »
Anyone got underfloor heating? Going to get the electric type in the floor of the kitchen which we are having extended.

I've got an Ikea kitchen, the rack is to keep the units square! It makes fitting a lot easier, you bolt the rail to the wall and the units just sit on it. Most kitchens get attached to the wall, so if your walls are wonky, you'll have a problem with all of them. You can test that beforehand by holding a longer piece of wood to the wall, if there are bigger gaps behind it you might want to get it evened out a bit.

Tradesmen hate fitting them, not because the units are hard to fit, but because they have to spend a lot of time building the units and thats not cost effective. They are extremely good value for money if you can fit them yourself. Oh, also Ikea have a fitting service.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2018, 06:30:40 am »
When you get an extension done do you need to draft up an agreement with the builders? To make sure they do everything they say they are going to do?

I'm getting quotes for work at the moment and creating a matrix of what builders are including what as part of the extension/demolish works. Problem is they won't give me a breakdown so I cant say "scratch that off I'll sort it myself"

For a larger project, do it. They should detail stuff in the quote. You could draw up a list of things too do and get them to quote against it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 08:06:11 am »

I've fitted underfllor heating on two bathroom jobs for a lad I do wiring on kitchens and bathrooms for , both stopped using it due to the cost of them . Do you have gas central heating ? Would be more economical to utilise that system especially with the array of different rads on sale .

Kitchen wise mine was from a place in leeds which can't recommend highly enough and excellent value .
Here's there website https://www.diy-kitchens.com/ . Been on about ten jobs with kitchens from these and all
top quality and a good range and can't recall one issue except a damaged door which was replaced straight away .

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2018, 02:42:15 pm »
So I had a fun day. The guy I got in to do the plastering managed to get himself arrested driving on his lunch break with thc in his system. All his tools are still in our house and half the artex ceiling is still artex.

Home ownership is fun :P
:o
Thankfully my father in law does our plastering so we won't have unfinished plastered walls anytime soon :D

Home improvements.
Had a window put in a few months back as the previous window was goosed. Probably in since 1955. Cost of £350. Now I feel that the glass could be replaced as the noise outside still gets through.

We moved in in September and smashed the dining room and kitchen wall through so its a lot bigger now. 2 doors down have an extension which looks great. Will probably do that in the next few years but haven't got the £20k or so it'd probably cost right now.

Grey soffits and fascias seem to be in style right now and they look good. Might go for it in a few months time with a composite door. Currently have a UPVC white front door which could do with replacing.

Old houses cost some money to get how you want  :butt

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 03:00:48 pm »
:o
Thankfully my father in law does our plastering so we won't have unfinished plastered walls anytime soon :D

Home improvements.
Had a window put in a few months back as the previous window was goosed. Probably in since 1955. Cost of £350. Now I feel that the glass could be replaced as the noise outside still gets through.

We moved in in September and smashed the dining room and kitchen wall through so its a lot bigger now. 2 doors down have an extension which looks great. Will probably do that in the next few years but haven't got the £20k or so it'd probably cost right now.

Grey soffits and fascias seem to be in style right now and they look good. Might go for it in a few months time with a composite door. Currently have a UPVC white front door which could do with replacing.

Old houses cost some money to get how you want  :butt

Why don't you get the upvc resprayed , had mine done two months ago from White upvc to anthracite grey , look brilliant and a bay and six windows was £800 save replacing .

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »
Why don't you get the upvc resprayed , had mine done two months ago from White upvc to anthracite grey , look brilliant and a bay and six windows was £800 save replacing .

who did that mate? I want to get ours done.

We've got two bays and er, a door on the front so imagine it'd be similar price.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 03:32:11 pm »
who did that mate? I want to get ours done.

We've got two bays and er, a door on the front so imagine it'd be similar price.

Pmd you his details