Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1762772 times)

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #13320 on: October 18, 2022, 08:21:55 pm »
Don't know whether to say in here but 3 chinese people were next to me at the game. We scored and they all remained sitting not bothered we scored. They were not City fans either as they were equally unmoved when they scored. Now I guess these people must have won a ticket somewhere or got a ticket via the travel packages or something. The amount of half and half scarfs in the main stand too? Also do people need to sit tall on the end of the seats in the main stand too? It can be hard seeing ahead when someone does that.

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #13321 on: October 20, 2022, 10:12:41 am »
People complaining about the "That's how your cat feels" chant, nothing wrong with it  :butt

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #13322 on: October 20, 2022, 10:15:55 am »
Big Darwin silencing GSTK was beautiful
YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13323 on: October 20, 2022, 10:22:16 am »
People complaining about the "That's how your cat feels" chant, nothing wrong with it  :butt

Surely not? It was Anfield humour at it's very best. Completely spontaneous and had everyone in stitches

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13324 on: October 20, 2022, 11:00:57 am »
I know we live in an age where people go out of their way to look for things to be offended by, but what on earth can they complain about there?  :o

A relevant point was made with humour.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13325 on: October 20, 2022, 11:38:10 am »
That cat chant has come from other fans too, was very loud just after the story.  We're not the first to sing it, anyone getting their knickers in a twist over it is just desperate.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #13326 on: October 20, 2022, 12:02:27 pm »
Pedantic in the extreme, but the tune used doesn’t quite scan. There’s a missing beat.

In the 80s it would’ve been, That’s how your cat feels, clap clap, clap-clap, clap (as in Bring on the Champions or Kopites are gobshites)

:D

Edit: thinking about this more than I should, we hardly ever use ‘La Donna è Mobile’. Doesn’t seem like a very Scouse chant. Someone will come along with a really obvious one I’ve forgotten now! I remember “we made John Terry cry” but can’t think of too many others.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:34:13 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13327 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06:51 pm »

Sort of glad I don’t go the game anymore. Seems you can’t say anything these days without some snowflake getting offended.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13328 on: October 20, 2022, 12:07:59 pm »
I really think if we can somehow work a way to get a really vocal young set of fans in the new anfield road upper to challenge the away support this would rejuvenate the ground, I have absolutely no idea how you would do it. It would be like the Crystal Palace fans but next to the away fans it would be superb and give the kop something to bounce off, anybody got any ideas?

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13329 on: October 20, 2022, 12:17:00 pm »
I really think if we can somehow work a way to get a really vocal young set of fans in the new anfield road upper to challenge the away support this would rejuvenate the ground, I have absolutely no idea how you would do it. It would be like the Crystal Palace fans but next to the away fans it would be superb and give the kop something to bounce off, anybody got any ideas?

I’ve given up thinking this way. The club are happy with the way things are. It suits them to have an old, lethargic, polite and sedate crowd who pay the bills. They certainly aren’t going to stick a load of local teenage lads next to the away fans anyway.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13330 on: October 20, 2022, 12:31:59 pm »
I’ve given up thinking this way. The club are happy with the way things are. It suits them to have an old, lethargic, polite and sedate crowd who pay the bills. They certainly aren’t going to stick a load of local teenage lads next to the away fans anyway.

I would be great if they did, but also don’t get into the mindset that only local fans sing, I’ve sat next to a few locals in the kop since it was built and the only thing they’ve ever done is moan. Just young enthusiastic fans in the new Annie road upper would be superb.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13331 on: October 20, 2022, 11:31:32 pm »

No chance. The reason why they put seats in the road end in 1983 was to stop groups of young lads gathering next to the away fans, and they'd have put seats in the Kop at that time if they'd have been able to get away with it.

They want their cake and eat it. They want people to make lots of noise without the risks that feeling passionate carry.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #13332 on: October 21, 2022, 09:51:36 am »
This is the proverbial Groundhog Day thread with all the wildly contrasting brickbats and bouquets concerning our wildly contrasting atmospheres. But there really is only one underlying reality about our home that matters which is that when it is really matters Anfield invariably delivers and when it does it’s a bloody fantastic thing to be a part of.

:)

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #13333 on: October 21, 2022, 11:05:47 am »
Road end looked to be all seated for west ham. Boggles the mind that the same stewards allow it to be stood for some games and not others. Needs to be stood to generate noise.
YNWA

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13334 on: October 21, 2022, 11:11:02 am »
This is the proverbial Groundhog Day thread with all the wildly contrasting brickbats and bouquets concerning our wildly contrasting atmospheres. But there really is only one underlying reality about our home that matters which is that when it is really matters Anfield invariably delivers and when it does it’s a bloody fantastic thing to be a part of.

:)

Found it bizarre that 2 days after half the ground sang about Phil Foden's ma in a, let's say, less than complimentary fashion that people are in this thread complaining about snowflakes being offended.

Thought it was alright for west ham too to be honest, not as good as city obviously, but pretty decent.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13335 on: October 29, 2022, 11:58:20 pm »
Well tonight takes shocking and insipid to a new level.  Lethargic and disfunctional on and off the pitch.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #13336 on: October 30, 2022, 12:06:50 am »
Saturday night. 1-1 end to end pushing for a winner. Silence. Why do people bother turning up if they're not arsed in these situations. Yes the performance was very shite at times, but it was not hopeless- there was more than enough to lift the crowd. The loudest the ground was all night was when Robbo got in one of the Leeds players faces.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13337 on: October 30, 2022, 12:11:03 am »
Saturday night. 1-1 end to end pushing for a winner. Silence. Why do people bother turning up if they're not arsed in these situations. Yes the performance was very shite at times, but it was not hopeless- there was more than enough to lift the crowd. The loudest the ground was all night was when Robbo got in one of the Leeds players faces.

I was sat in Lower kenny by the kop. It was horrendous. Probably the worse part of the ground I’ve sat in.  People sat down not clapping our subs leaving the pitch? Surely that’s the bare minimum. People videoing throw ins and that. Cba.

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
« Reply #13338 on: October 30, 2022, 01:56:07 am »
So annoyed with that tonight, absolutely pathetic. Never thought I’d be looked at like I had two heads for singing, in 304 of all places! Foolishly thought a Saturday night game would see everyone up for it, alright the performance was dreadful but it was like the crowd just accepted our fate from the first goal. Genuinely a new low in terms of recent atmospheres

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #13339 on: October 30, 2022, 01:06:00 am »
So annoyed with that tonight, absolutely pathetic. Never thought I’d be looked at like I had two heads for singing, in 304 of all places! Foolishly thought a Saturday night game would see everyone up for it, alright the performance was dreadful but it was like the crowd just accepted our fate from the first goal. Genuinely a new low in terms of recent atmospheres
2 Leeds fans next to me in Kenny happily, but not too loudly, cheering on their team.  Says it all for me.  Got the tickets off "a supplier."
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13340 on: October 30, 2022, 07:29:38 am »
Just saying our atmosphere has been shite for a while. Home and away :no
Lads on the pitch need help and no one seems to be assed.

I think once I heard them sing always the victims and that didn’t get a angry anfield then we’re absolutely finished on and off the pitch. Absolutely embarrassing the people we have that ‘suddenly support us’.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #13341 on: October 30, 2022, 08:22:30 am »
I go to 8-10 home prem games a season and have done for years. Not been to one so far and it’s largely due to two issues. One is the stale atmosphere and the second is the way the club let fans pass on tickets…these two things go hand in hand.

I only stick to the cups now and only rangers so far has provided a glimmer of hope that the atmosphere has not been completely lost.

Not exactly sure how we could fix the problem as football in general has moved on from your working class sport. We’re a tourist club

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #13342 on: October 30, 2022, 08:41:26 am »
Fans were a disgrace in terms of supporting.   Happened too often this season.

Yet I for the love of money cannot get a ticket, but then see tons of people with half and half scarves in the stand !

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #13343 on: October 30, 2022, 10:24:17 am »
The crowd yesterday was awful, and that includes everyone who walked out when they scored, stay and support your team. If everyone walked out before the 90th minute at Newcastle, I doubt we’d have won that game.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13344 on: October 30, 2022, 12:25:43 pm »
Someone in the Kop started an Allez Allez Allez chant just after 19:42 as YNWA was coming on but played unusually quietly on the Tannoy.  Result was that much of the Kop missed the first four lines of YNWA by singing in competition with it.  I felt that was a bad omen.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13345 on: October 30, 2022, 12:30:21 pm »

The fact we keep going a goal down within 5 minutes kills it.

Ultimately the crowd are reactive. Score early and it's a good atmosphere and we put a few past them. Do our usual and fit a goal from the opposition's first attack and it just deflates it. 3 years ago going behind would get a reaction from the crowd and the players, now it's just here we go again.

Attacking the Kop second half at 1-1 you expect more from the crowd but the players just looked like strangers and then the subs made the team worse which again deflated it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #13346 on: October 30, 2022, 12:31:26 pm »
The crowd yesterday was awful, and that includes everyone who walked out when they scored, stay and support your team. If everyone walked out before the 90th minute at Newcastle, I doubt we’d have won that game.
I have mixed feelings about this.  99 times out of 100 I'll stay and support my team but yesterday was different.  Maybe it's because I was sat next to 2 celebrating Leeds fans in the Kenny, perhaps it's because I felt my team had not put in a shift for the 50k of us who were there, but I left as soon as the fucking goal went in.  I wanted to make a point to that team.  The Newcastle game was different.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:33:26 pm by wah00ey »
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #13347 on: October 30, 2022, 05:51:50 pm »
I have mixed feelings about this.  99 times out of 100 I'll stay and support my team but yesterday was different.  Maybe it's because I was sat next to 2 celebrating Leeds fans in the Kenny, perhaps it's because I felt my team had not put in a shift for the 50k of us who were there, but I left as soon as the fucking goal went in.  I wanted to make a point to that team.  The Newcastle game was different.
Every point we have dropped at home, I’d probably blame the fans as much as the players.
Brighton at home was the worst but last nights seem worse.

We have a combination of problems atm. This one believe it or not contributes to our performances, especially through a tough spell.

I just think back to last season Leicester in the cup… 3-1 down with the kids and there fans give us the usual shite! Anfield turns angry and the atmosphere in my opinion gets us through to the next round.

Same shite sung last night and hear a few boos but that’s it. Don’t understand why you’d bother going if you can’t get up for it

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #13348 on: October 30, 2022, 06:14:05 pm »
It was dead yesterday
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13349 on: November 2, 2022, 08:26:09 am »
Big fan of everyone not giving a fuck when we went down 1-0 and singing Allez Allez Allez. Resulted in a hostile atmosphere for the next 10 minutes. Not the first time an overturned goal has snapped everyone into action.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13350 on: November 2, 2022, 08:29:29 am »
I walked out after Leeds scored their second and would do it again.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13351 on: November 2, 2022, 09:22:30 am »
Big fan of everyone not giving a fuck when we went down 1-0 and singing Allez Allez Allez. Resulted in a hostile atmosphere for the next 10 minutes. Not the first time an overturned goal has snapped everyone into action.
It was a significant moment. The delay waiting for a decision was ridiculous so the Kop decided we'll have a good old sing-song while we wait. But it reverberated around the ground and took off at a tremendous level.

I notice even when it died down it continued in the Anny.

After that moment the atmosphere was indeed brilliant.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13352 on: November 2, 2022, 09:31:10 am »
It was a significant moment. The delay waiting for a decision was ridiculous so the Kop decided we'll have a good old sing-song while we wait. But it reverberated around the ground and took off at a tremendous level.

I notice even when it died down it continued in the Anny.

After that moment the atmosphere was indeed brilliant.

Anfield atmosphere is so reactive but it's what makes it what is (good or bad), rather than more choreographed noise.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13353 on: November 2, 2022, 04:51:40 pm »
I walked out after Leeds scored their second and would do it again.

I went home at half time when Northampton beat us in the League Cup. And against Leicester on boxing day 1984. I'm not a real fan though.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13354 on: November 3, 2022, 05:09:24 pm »
Someone on Twitter posted a clip of Gudjohnsen’s stoppage time miss in 2005 (link here: https://twitter.com/davolaar/status/1588112829105803272?s=46&t=dNLiYlM41z8x0qSj-yuTOg), and another person has mentioned how red the Kop looks. Does anyone have a theory as to why this isn’t the case anymore?

Online Koplord

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #13355 on: November 3, 2022, 05:41:37 pm »
Someone on Twitter posted a clip of Gudjohnsen’s stoppage time miss in 2005 (link here: https://twitter.com/davolaar/status/1588112829105803272?s=46&t=dNLiYlM41z8x0qSj-yuTOg), and another person has mentioned how red the Kop looks. Does anyone have a theory as to why this isn’t the case anymore?

Because top reds think it’s wool to wear anything red the match or have a scarf. Definitely noticed a change quite a few years ago
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13356 on: November 3, 2022, 06:07:12 pm »

There was a huge drive on the forums/word of mouth etc for that game, to wear red and get in the ground early.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13357 on: November 3, 2022, 06:45:34 pm »
That Gudjohnsen miss is the closest I've ever come to a heart attack

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13358 on: November 3, 2022, 07:07:15 pm »

Still the loudest I've ever heard the ground. If I'm honest, nothing compares to that game. Standing on the kop that night, I can remember the ground shaking beneath my feet.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13359 on: November 3, 2022, 07:54:47 pm »

It comes and goes. Have a look at a picture of the old Kop in the early 70s and compare it to a picture in the 80s.

I'd say that was a reflection of the change in culture of the City, as it went from booming and flamboyant - to dark and gritty.

I'd guess the difference in 2005 and now is demographics. Most of the people are the same but 17 years older.