Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Last post by I've been a good boy. on Today at 09:08:12 pm »
I blame Pep Lijnders' book.
« Last post by killer-heels on Today at 09:07:49 pm »
He needs to just go back to basics. In 2020-21, City were 10th after 7 games with 11 points. Pep just made sure they got the basics right and stopped trying to do anything extraordinary. If you watched City from that point onwards in 20-21 that season, you will see that they played with less fluidity and more pragmatism compared to the other years that Pep was there.

We're probably won't end being crowned champions like City did that season, but at least try to salvage a top four finish.  I understand Klopp has his own beliefs but the system doesn't suit the players anymore, and while it's not all his fault that the squad was not refreshed adequately in midfield to keep playing the same system, that's the hand that was dealt to him now. He even admitted after Napoli that we should tweak our approach a little, so it's disappointing to see after a month of not playing games that we're still playing this whole inverted wingback, free roaming number 8 on the right and the two wide forwards pretending to be linesmen system with the same naivety and same problems, trailing pretty much from the start of the game, while expecting different outcomes.

To be fair he significantly changed his team around. They went from a team focussed on width, making the pitch big and using the space to one that was all about compactness, making the game as stale as possible and protecting his centrebacks.

We've generally relied on mobility and athleticism from our midfield and front 3 to start our defensive moves in the opposition half. Our front 3 doesn't seem to do this as effectively as previous, and our midfield is struggling for legs with a bunch of older players and injured players there. Carvalho and Harvey are good young players but they are attacking midfielders and are yet to learn the tactical discipline and positioning required at this level. Both Robbo and Trent's form has been woeful, and not helped by the fact that multiple players form looks suspect simultaneously.

We need to go back to just focusing on some of the basic aspects of the game. We need to become much harder to score against first and foremost. Once we start building confidence in our ability to defend, I think we will be more aggressive and incisive in attack as well.
That's a good summary - it's a combination of many different factors, but defensive solidity has to be a top priority. It was what our success under Jurgen has been built on and we're going behind in games far too often and making life harder for ourselves. Even when we dug ourselves out today and looked like snatching 3 points, Virgil makes a rare error and suddenly it's a point. 99 times out of 100 he puts that in the stands or out for a corner. But the energy, focus, sharpness, togetherness, communication and team shape all look several levels off where we've been for 4 seasons. Clearly on today's showing it's not just a physical issue, as we couldn't even do the basics right in the first 20 minutes of our first PL game in a month.
Liverpool Life / Re: Lawless Liverpool?
« Last post by reddebs on Today at 09:06:40 pm »
Think they are going to struggle translating those charges to guilty verdicts in court.

Murder is a deliberate act and they will need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he deliberately meant to kill her as well as attempting to kill the others.

He'll plead to attempted murder of the guy he shot, wounding the mum and manslaughter of the girl.

Can't they argue that running into a house with a gun and firing it is an intent to kill?
I think a lot of people held some sort of hope that now that we have minimal amount of injuries and a nice rest we would look different. Now that hope has been thoroughly squashed and we are left with the not so nice realization that we are in fact a bit shit and there is no false dawn to cling on to.

Or RAWK is full of dickheads and wum's who only turn up when we don;t win games.  I mean take your pick as to which one is more accurate on here.
We've had batshit crazy reactions today after a draw. I'd hate think what this place will be like when we're finished playing Arsenal and Man City in the next two league games.  :D

If we lose both then we will be in some proper bother. I dont think we will, but there is no sun shining our way out of those. We will be on 10 points out of 9 games.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Last post by paddysour on Today at 09:05:08 pm »
I don't think it's only the system. Trent has been very poor defensively in all situations the last 8 months.

Yeah he'll be disappointed at his own levels but I'm not sure what we can expect when he has to be the main creative force while defending a flank on his own while the CM ahead goes wandering
Well okay if you want to argue semantics let me clarify the plan at the end of last season was to fund a new CM with player sales.

Point still stands. The Mane departure caught us with our pants down.

We were perfectly aware even before last season finished Mane was off (how long we knew was debatable but chances are the Diaz signing was with Mane leaving in mind).

Even the days after the CL final was still in May when his exit was essentially confirmed, as was Tchouameni going to Real . No excuse for the farce that played out.
We've had batshit crazy reactions today after a draw. I'd hate think what this place will be like when we're finished playing Arsenal and Man City in the next two league games.  :D

I think a lot of people held some sort of hope that now that we have minimal amount of injuries and a nice rest we would look different. Now that hope has been thoroughly squashed and we are left with the not so nice realization that we are in fact a bit shit and there is no false dawn to cling on to.
« Last post by please, I have my reasons for it but... on Today at 09:03:03 pm »
He needs to just go back to basics. In 2020-21, City were 10th after 7 games with 11 points. Pep just made sure they got the basics right and stopped trying to do anything extraordinary. If you watched City from that point onwards in 20-21 that season, you will see that they played with less fluidity and more pragmatism compared to the other years that Pep was there.

We're probably won't end being crowned champions like City did that season, but at least try to salvage a top four finish.  I understand Klopp has his own beliefs but the system doesn't suit the players anymore, and while it's not all his fault that the squad was not refreshed adequately in midfield to keep playing the same system, that's the hand that was dealt to him now. He even admitted after Napoli that we should tweak our approach a little, so it's disappointing to see after a month of not playing games that we're still playing this whole inverted wingback, free roaming number 8 on the right and the two wide forwards pretending to be linesmen system with the same naivety and same problems, trailing pretty much from the start of the game, while expecting different outcomes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10