Author Topic: Bars/Clubs in town  (Read 343742 times)

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
Re: Bars/Clubs in town
« Reply #2200 on: September 1, 2020, 11:53:08 am »
I absolutely CAN'T STAND 'table service only' in the pubs and bars.

It completely and utterly ruins the entire point of going to a pub or bar. You don't go because you can't buy beer anywhere else or for the crisps behind the bar, you go to mix with people, strike up a conversation or have a bit of a dance and a laugh.

Being stuck at a table for 2 or 3 hours staring directly infront of me is not my idea of fun, it's more akin to a prison visit.

The sooner this nonsense is abandoned the better.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2201 on: September 1, 2020, 12:34:55 pm »
Don't know about the others (saw the Fools and Horses bar for the first time last week and thought it was really out of place in Liverpool) but the Head of Steam is ace. One of my mates likes the jukie in the Swan so we visit every now and then just so he can play some Germanic heavy metal.

The Swan is boss. Not been since it re-opened but might try it at the weekend

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2202 on: September 1, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
Yeah I've always been a fan of the Swan. Will still go there for the jukebox and a bit of a blast-from-the-past. Mad to think it is just around the corner from the likes of Concert Square and all the shit that entails as well. Although saying that I've seen more then a few people bundled out of the Swan as well.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2203 on: September 1, 2020, 03:04:48 pm »
Not been in for a while, do the Head Of Steam still do them jam doughnut and marmalade ales? Lovely drops they were.
AHA!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2204 on: September 1, 2020, 04:13:13 pm »
Not been in for a while, do the Head Of Steam still do them jam doughnut and marmalade ales? Lovely drops they were.

Blimey they sound like the real ale equivalent of alcohol pops!

I go for the pale ales.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2205 on: September 9, 2020, 02:56:21 pm »
Was due to be going to Doncaster for the St Leger on Saturday on our way to the Lake District for a break next week. However the crowds have been binned off from the racing again, so we’ve cancelled the Doncaster part of our break.
Thinking about a night or two in Liverpool instead now as a stop over, but just wondered where’s good to watch the game on Saturday, and is that even possible at the moment?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2206 on: September 9, 2020, 03:09:45 pm »
Imagine you’d need to book the decent places in advance, Punch Tarmey’s is massive with loads of screens and seats. But no idea what the script is.

Saying that, I popped in the Southport one and that was just turn up and walk in, not a game day though.
AHA!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2207 on: September 9, 2020, 03:22:14 pm »
Everywhere will be full to their new capacity I’d have thought so will prob be best to book somewhere in advance. Which prob means today/tomorrow at latest.

As for where, depends what you’re after. Massive screen? Decent pint? Any particular part of town?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2208 on: September 9, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »
Imagine you’d need to book the decent places in advance, Punch Tarmey’s is massive with loads of screens and seats. But no idea what the script is.

Saying that, I popped in the Southport one and that was just turn up and walk in, not a game day though.
Everywhere will be full to their new capacity I’d have thought so will prob be best to book somewhere in advance. Which prob means today/tomorrow at latest.

As for where, depends what you’re after. Massive screen? Decent pint? Any particular part of town?

Cheers. Somewhere with big screens or a number of screens ideally, but full of reds (as much as is possible) who won’t be moaning about the fact we haven’t signed anyone or ready to destroy our midfielders if we’re not 3 up at half time 😉.

We’ll probably be staying in town, but not too worried where the bar is as long as the atmosphere is good

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2209 on: September 9, 2020, 04:14:59 pm »
You’ve got Jurgen’s on the Strand which is guaranteed to be full of reds only, not that big though so may be fully booked already. Plenty of TVs around the place so all tables likely to have a good view.

If you want more atmosphere you’re probably looking at one of the bigger places. Concert Sq area I’d personally avoid but could try somewhere like Beer Engine. I’ve not watched a game in there recently but have in the past and it was pretty decent.

Otherwise a load of places will be showing it and all will be mostly full of reds and all likely to be busy so as long as get a spot with a decent view somewhere you can’t go too wrong.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: September 9, 2020, 04:17:06 pm »
Cheers Craig

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: September 10, 2020, 01:15:07 am »
Everywhere was fully booked up for the community shield.

Me and me mate got lucky that we found somewhere in town, ended up sitting on stools meant for a pool table, waitress was sound and let us sit there.  ;D

Id deffo book somewhere.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:16 am »
Liked the look of the Hope & Anchor but looks like you either can’t book on Saturday or it’s already booked up. Any good?

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: September 10, 2020, 09:55:53 am »
Liked the look of the Hope & Anchor but looks like you either can’t book on Saturday or it’s already booked up. Any good?

Yeah Hope & Anchor is decent and has plenty of screens.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2214 on: September 10, 2020, 10:32:24 am »
Maybe try The Font, loads of screens in there, just down the road from Hope & Anchor. Bit of a student gaff, but never been overly crowded when I’ve been in.
AHA!

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: September 13, 2020, 12:34:28 am »
Was left a little underwhelmed with the Hope & Anchor today. Walked up early to try to get a table as we weren’t able to book. Fairly Quiet until right before kick off but still managed to get our food order wrong and a couple of the drinks orders too even though there was only two of us.
Atmosphere was ok, quite a few Leeds fans in as well, but think I expected too much (songs etc).

Would definitely try somewhere else next time, perhaps the Beer Engine, as I spoke to a fella who said that’s where all his mates were.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2216 on: September 14, 2020, 11:08:50 am »
Was left a little underwhelmed with the Hope & Anchor today. Walked up early to try to get a table as we weren’t able to book. Fairly Quiet until right before kick off but still managed to get our food order wrong and a couple of the drinks orders too even though there was only two of us.
Atmosphere was ok, quite a few Leeds fans in as well, but think I expected too much (songs etc).

Would definitely try somewhere else next time, perhaps the Beer Engine, as I spoke to a fella who said that’s where all his mates were.

I mean to be fair mate we're not really supposed to be singing and shouting in the middle of a pandemic.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #2217 on: September 14, 2020, 12:28:40 pm »
I mean to be fair mate we're not really supposed to be singing and shouting in the middle of a pandemic.

You mean people could die if I get up and sing 'Starman'?

Fascinating.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2218 on: September 14, 2020, 04:42:13 pm »
You mean people could die if I get up and sing 'Starman'?

Fascinating.

I mean, no, but I'm not sure I'd be expecting a raucous atmosphere in a pub anytime soon.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2219 on: September 14, 2020, 05:35:59 pm »
It's an absolute nightmare in town to watch the game. Some gaffs didn't even have Sky and was turned away from a few boozers as they were "full" when my eyes told me otherwise.

Eventually ended up watching through the window of the old post office.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: September 15, 2020, 11:22:33 pm »
Did say I probably expected too much, and didn’t really consider the Covid situation, but not sure that was it, just seemed to lack atmosphere to me. Maybe I caught it on a bad day

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: September 22, 2020, 10:33:12 am »
Kelly's shut down on Sunday. I'm sure popular with a few on here.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: September 22, 2020, 10:34:09 am »
I absolutely CAN'T STAND 'table service only' in the pubs and bars.

It completely and utterly ruins the entire point of going to a pub or bar. You don't go because you can't buy beer anywhere else or for the crisps behind the bar, you go to mix with people, strike up a conversation or have a bit of a dance and a laugh.

Being stuck at a table for 2 or 3 hours staring directly infront of me is not my idea of fun, it's more akin to a prison visit.

The sooner this nonsense is abandoned the better.

Don't go out then. I'm sure the other punters would prefer it too if all you do is stare in front of you.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2223 on: September 22, 2020, 11:02:16 am »
I fucking hate queueing at a bar. Leaning up against an often sticky bar trying to catch the eye of the guy/woman behind the bar, fuming when you know you should be getting served but not, the whole 'after you' to the guy next to you trying to be polite. Standing behind a guy ordering a huge list of drinks and then ordering a Guinness last.

(If you can't tell I've worked behind a bar :P)

Table service that works well is great and takes all the interaction out of going for a drink. Perfect

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: September 22, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »
I fucking hate queueing at a bar. Leaning up against an often sticky bar trying to catch the eye of the guy/woman behind the bar, fuming when you know you should be getting served but not, the whole 'after you' to the guy next to you trying to be polite. Standing behind a guy ordering a huge list of drinks and then ordering a Guinness last.

Table service that works well is great and takes all the interaction out of going for a drink. Perfect

This x 100000

I hope the pubs who didn't previously do it will retain the table service option after the pandemic situation changes.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2225 on: September 22, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »
I don't mind table service if its done in the right way, its very European, reminds me of sunny evenings sat in the squares of Bavaria as some young waitress brings you steins of beer, magnificent  ;D

Seriously though, if this means local boozers and peoples jobs being saved because pubs stay open then so be it, anyway, I'm getting lazy in my old age and carrying back to the table three pints and a load of crisps and nuts is no fun these days.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: September 22, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
I live in Europe and table service can be an absolute mess. Splitting the bill can be a nightmare depending on who you're with; especially when you have people joining or leaving your group; you end up getting charged for more drinks then got drank but everyone is too pissed to notice; and it can be faster just going to the bar depending on who's serving the tables. And if its dead busy it looks like a nightmare for the staff.

Give me bar service any day.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: September 22, 2020, 03:35:28 pm »
I live in Europe and table service can be an absolute mess. Splitting the bill can be a nightmare depending on who you're with; especially when you have people joining or leaving your group; you end up getting charged for more drinks then got drank but everyone is too pissed to notice; and it can be faster just going to the bar depending on who's serving the tables. And if its dead busy it looks like a nightmare for the staff.

Give me bar service any day.

You pay for everything on an app before it arrives at your table though?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2228 on: September 22, 2020, 03:53:38 pm »

Love table service, as you say, takes all the hassle away and I'd happily pay more for it if I had to. You've just got to time your order right so you're not sitting there with an empty glass for too long.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: September 22, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »

I ain't going anywhere that requires payment by app or that insists on track and trace.

Fortunately I don't drink and hate most pubs.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: September 22, 2020, 04:06:01 pm »

First I've heard of it, but I haven't been home since before Covid-19. In Europe its pick up your tab at the end, same as its ever been.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: September 22, 2020, 04:08:52 pm »
I ain't going anywhere that requires payment by app or that insists on track and trace.

Fortunately I don't drink and hate most pubs.

You're in the wrong thread then.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2232 on: September 22, 2020, 04:14:11 pm »
First I've heard of it, but I haven't been home since before Covid-19. In Europe its pick up your tab at the end, same as its ever been.

Every place I've used an app in over here is pay as you order on the app. Been out in a mixed group and we just ordered our own as and when.

Think people would walk out without paying in a lot of places over here.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: September 23, 2020, 02:47:17 pm »
Did say I probably expected too much, and didn’t really consider the Covid situation, but not sure that was it, just seemed to lack atmosphere to me. Maybe I caught it on a bad day

To be honest, nowhere would really be like that with songs etc unless it was a big game or a final.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2234 on: October 6, 2020, 12:38:15 pm »
In the Echo today that The Croc and Baby Croc are closing for the foreseeable due to government restrictions.

I'd class The Croc as a good civil service boozer, had many a Maundy Thursday afternoons in there.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: October 6, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »
In the Echo today that The Croc and Baby Croc are closing for the foreseeable due to government restrictions.

I'd class The Croc as a good civil service boozer, had many a Maundy Thursday afternoons in there.

And I spent many a Saturday night there in the late 60s before or after going to the Pen and Wig and the Why Not?

I seem to recall that the Baby Croc was more of a couples bar at that time.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2236 on: October 6, 2020, 02:51:18 pm »

Won’t be the only one. Pig & Whistle is (or has) going to as well I believe.

Got my hair cut yesterday at Exchange Flags and they were considering it too. The amount of people back in the offices in liverpool is tiny and a lot of the supporting businesses around there are really struggling.

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #2237 on: October 12, 2020, 09:23:43 am »
Fingers crossed for all the bars and clubs that we know and love that they can miraculously get through this.

Already lost my favourite bar and one of my favourite restaurants so far this year - fingers crossed that more don't join them  :-\

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2238 on: October 12, 2020, 11:52:56 pm »
Never thought I would see the Dispensary on the BBC news front page without a murder
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: October 13, 2020, 08:33:42 am »
A lot of my mates have already lost jobs so don´t know how this is going to go. Very grim.

I will be home for Christmas this year as well. Will be the first time back in 14 months. Kind of dreading what I might be stepping back into.

I´m hoping to be able to go to at least one or two of my old regular pubs. I know at least one of them has already shut its doors for good.