Author Topic: Pre-match thread: Manchester City vs. Liverpool | 25/11/2023 | 12:30(BST)  (Read 38748 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
It's hard to know quite what to make of the season so far. It's unlike any we've had under Jürgen, I would say, in that as a supporter base, I'm not sure we've been as unclear on what the expectations for the season should be as we were kicking off at Stamford Bridge on August 13th. The universal hope was that we retained sufficient quality and experience within the squad to reassert ourselves towards the top of the league, after a hugely underwhelming 2022/23, and that the club would do what was necessary to strengthen key areas and supplement the existing talent during a pivotal summer transfer window. As it was, we witnessed an unprecedented midfield overhaul, headlined by clever business in securing both the Hungarian captain and a lynchpin of the Argentine World Cup winning team with a minimum of fuss via release clauses, however the unplanned departures of both senior holding midfield options and a failure to secure either of our two most coveted replacements for that same role, led ultimately to a feeling that we hadn't done enough, and therefore in terms of expectations, that a return to the top four, probably, represented what was realistic.

And then the hypothetical becomes the actual as the football begins anew, offering a glimpse of Big Dom looking marvelous (in every conceivable way) and Virgil somewhere close to previous, majestic heights. We remember (if we'd inexplicably forgotten, perhaps a little like the current coach of the Brazilian national team) that we retain the best goalkeeper on the planet at one end of the field, and an attacking repertoire that few across the continent can rival at the other. And that's without mentioning the generational talent taking on the vice captains role this season, and of course, the managerial genius in the dugout. We see the first twenty minutes of that opening weekend and the obvious promise. The two goal salvo from an ever-present Darwin Nunez when we were up against it on Tyneside, and a second half turnaround at Molineux that offered the suggestion of a collective spirit that was lacking far too often last season. At Anfield we bear witness to routine 3-nil home wins against a resurgent Aston Villa, who themselves look set for a top 8 finish, a Nottingham Forest who had previously troubled us massively, and a street smart Brentford team with the skillset to exploit our weaknesses. There was enough there to make you pause for thought. To begin to wonder. To dream. To contemplate the possibilities that could, maybe, just maybe, result from a solid start and a little bit of momentum. A momentum that looked to be growing, even in spite of ridiculous circumstances that were thrust upon us like some kind of biblical curse, with more red cards in the space of 8 games than the previous four seasons combined, and a set of hungover VAR officials fresh from a jolly in Saudi Arabia making the kind of error never seen before in English football. There were reasons to believe. Those reasons remain present and valid.

The results, and more pertinently, the performances, at Luton and Toulouse, however, would have succeeded in once more raising many of the concerns that lingered across the summer. Pins in metaphorical balloons of red persuasion everywhere. In 9 of this seasons 18 games, the Reds have conceded the first goal. More worryingly, that includes each of the last five consecutive games away from Anfield, which cannot be positioned as anything less than alarming. Overall on the road it's now two wins from 6 in the Premier League (Everton and Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace have picked up more points away from home, as have a schizophrenic Chelsea team in seemingly constant disarray, in a game fewer). Of course, there is context, and plenty of it, and it also remains a relatively small sample size, particularly in the lifespan of Klopp's 'Liverpool 2.0'. But still, the lack of concentration in key moments, the vulnerability in transition, the holding midfielder of the day caught wrong side, and the sight of red shirts taking ridiculous pot shots from 40 yards out, all create doubt. All feel reminiscent of some of the worst elements of last season. Whether these were merely two blips, two examples of 'one of them', or instead were symptomatic of wider issues and indicative of a trend, we won't know just yet. Early December back-to-back visits to Sheffield United and Crystal Palace will tell us more. Much more than any fixture against Guardiola's Manchester City, which, irrespective of where we find ourselves as a team, a squad and a club, can produce absolutely anything, and none of the potential array of outcomes in any way surprising to anyone at all. To emphasise that point; The last nine fixtures between the two clubs in all competitions have seen the Reds amass 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats, culminating in 16 goals scored and 19 conceded. Looking specifically at Premier League fixtures away at the Etihad, however, has been somewhat more predictable, with the Reds failing to take three points since a fresh faced Jurgen Klopp just a month into life on Merseyside saw his explosive new team win 4-1 in November 2015. Since then it's been 2 draws and 4 defeats, with 6 goals scored and an eye watering 19 conceded.

So, to Manchester City. 18 major trophies in 15 years. 118 outstanding charges. Home of the asterisk. The narrative from most across the early weeks has been that they're not quite right. Not quite at their level. To that I would counter that they've actually amassed just one point less (28) than they did at the same stage last season (29). A season in which they won a treble only completed once previously in English football history. They were and remain relentless, and if anything, it was the red card and subsequent suspension for Rodri that was the key factor that led to a turbulent spell for the Citizens, resulting in them losing all three of the domestic fixtures for which he was unavailable. Those three aside, and ahead of their visit to Stamford Bridge, they'd won all thirteen of their Premier League and Champions League fixtures. Only a 95th minute equaliser for Chelsea from their own former prodigy, Cole Palmer, prevented that run continuing, and Rodri, unsurprisingly, has started each and every one of these games. I don't believe in coincidences. I do believe that he is that good, and that influential for that football team. It is in no way controversial, but I remain of the opinion that if anyone is to compete with this Manchester City team for the league title, they will once again need to be at 90+ point level across the season. That is the standard engineered by persistent financial skullduggery, and a level obtained by no competing team other than Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool across the last 6 seasons, regardless of what Arsenal fans might like to tell you. Either that or a significant absence for their midfield base, which, frankly, I'd not wish for.

Do we have the capability of producing that level again, I guess becomes the question. And more specifically in the here and now, does this Liverpool team, at this stage of its cycle, have a base level of 90+ points within them? What would be indicative, and would sign-post a journey that could ultimately lead us towards that end point, would be seeing them string ten in a row. That's what we need to see next from this Liverpool team, and if that is to be the case then the form away from L4, particularly against the bottom 12, has to improve significantly, with a sense of control far too infrequent up to now needing to become a fixture. The result at the Etihad against the European and English champions will not determine one way or another where this season goes, what our expectations should have been back in August, or what they should be come Sunday the 26th of November. Visits to Bramall Lane, Selhurst Park and Turf Moor in December will be infinitely more telling. But it can be another signpost. A marker of where we are, and where we're headed. Something to hold onto, even to mentally propel us forward. We can play brilliantly and still find ourselves beaten here, let's be clear. That's the simple truth. It's one of those. But the how we play part I think is important. There is a belief to be taken away from this game, and that arguably comes from the performance moreso than the result. From a sense that we can compete on a level playing field with them once again, after looking a world away in April. There's a story that you can tell yourself in that world. A story we can tell each other, and one that allows us all to advance in positive fashion. Manage to pair performance with three points though, or even one, and balloons are flying high once again and dreams that had begun to fracture are solidifying. The Reds begin to at the very least stand at the foot of the hill, in preparedness for the climb. Nothing is won here, and ultimately, nothing is truly lost, but regardless of outcome, I would argue it's crucial that perceptions, particularly our own, are that Liverpool offered resistance. That they look like a serious proposition capable of pinning the rest of the league and Europe back by its ears once more. That they fought for every inch and gave absolutely nothing cheap. That anything that Manchester City got, they earned, and equally as critical for the confidence and belief moving forward, that under no circumstances is this one that gets away from us, as some previous games in the blue half of Manchester have in recent seasons. In that instance, yet another recalibration of expectation possibly results; Perhaps this always was a season too early. Not quite enough done in the summer. Insufficient time for an entirely new midfield unit to gel. A win, a draw, possibly even a narrow defeat in which we see blue shirts on their knees through exhaustion at the final whistle, though, and the pause for thought is extended, the contemplation being that there might yet be a march to be witnessed. That maybe this is the start of it. The exciting thing is that right now, in this very moment, it's all to play for. Absolutely all of it possible, and we're right to dream. To hope. To wonder. To ensure clear calendars in May, just in case. One point off top. A chance to move to the summit with a quarter of the season in the rear view mirror. Whether there is cause for the day dreams, and precisely where we stand on the current journey of this latest evolution of Klopp's Liverpool, we will all know a little more by around 2:30pm.

On team selection, it's clear that the manager has a decision to make at left back. The Greek Scouser grew into the game against Brentford and generally looked more assured than he has done at any point since coming back into the team, but should he start it will certainly be with a target on his back. Similarly, who partners Virgil will be interesting. Joel Matip has been written off more times in his Liverpool career than a used car from Boyce Autos, and every time he seems to come back stronger. This season, so far, included. That said, fitness permitting, I would opt for Konate there, and Gomez at left back, and not least for the additional pace that the two would bring, particularly with the in-form Doku in mind. In midfield, the questions will center on availability and who the manager has to pick from. The hope being that both Jones and Gravenberch will join the returning Mac Allister following what were reported as minor knocks, at the very least offering some greater flexibility and depth to the matchday squad. In the mean-time, as ever, a silent prayer for all of those heading to various corners of the globe on international duty. May He let them all return in one piece.

I fancy that we see a serious team in red take to the field here, and that we're still looking up and not down, come the final whistle. I suspect that the manager does, too.

No backward steps.

Straight into these, Reds.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:35:23 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Pre-match thread: Manchester City vs. Liverpool | 25/11/2023 | 12:30(BST)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:20:15 am »
The good news is we won't have Tierney as Ref.

Probably Oliver.

We'll know Tuesday week.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 08:14:24 am »

Probably Oliver.

We'll know Tuesday week.

This one has Wythenshawe's own written all over it.

Another 12.30 kick off courtesy of an Abu Dhabi backhander and Greater Manchester's finest.

At least they have as many South American players coming back from international duty as we do.

If Chelsea can stick 4 past them then so we can we.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:33:41 am by gazzalfc »

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 08:28:34 am »
A nice read that. thanks.

Would I take a draw, probably, yes. So far we have been quite evenly matched, the officials have played a part in that though, and we could have been top if not for the Spurs debacle. Them at home and us away this season makes it look a tough ask for the three points, but, They wont keep a clean sheet and if we can score more than one (and we certainly can) we have a chance.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 08:31:01 am by red1977 »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 08:45:10 am »
If Chelsea can stick 3 past them then so we can we.

Four  ;)
Twitter | Blog

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 09:16:45 am »
Thanks for the amazing OP Grobbelrevell. 👍🏻

Though so many proverbial balls are still up in the air regarding this game, most of all state of our currently sidelined players and not knowing what will happen during wretched international games, we can all be fairly certain that Reds are going to Etihad to win. We might draw, which would still be good, we might lose or even lose badly and we wil almost certainly be fucked sideways by the referees - but we are going there to win. I would say that is the biggest testament to how well this side has evolved. We can go to their sparsely filled stadium and feel confident that we can play against them.

I'm sure Guardiola will look at our side and see plenty areas he can exploit and build his gameplan on. We aren't perfect, we struggle away from home more often than not, we tend to start games rather meekly and some positions seem ripe to exploit. But let me tell you, he will spend more time ahead of this game looking at ways we can carve his team open. Only teams capable of even for a moment coming close to attacking dynamism of Liverpool he has faced this season have all given him major problems. Wolves suckerpunched them, Arsenal contained them and carved out a win in the end and Chelsea pushed the game outside his comfort zone, into hectice back and forth and nicked a point in the end. Liverpool can do all the above and do it better than these teams. Whatever his plan might be, we can counter it through sheer power, determination and grit. Make it uncomfortable, make it physical, make it unpleasant and force them to take risks.

I have to say it, especially after that Spurs game - my biggest concern here is the referee and VAR. I remember looking forward to the game against Spurs, it looked primed to be a great spectacle, two high flying teams, both playing progressive football, both eager to entertain and score goals. Then it became a farce, it became all about them. This is even without looking at that specific VAR blunder. Just on the pitch refereeing itself proved that they are simply incapable of resisting making the game about themselves. They can't help themselves, they have to be the ones who set the tone, shape the match, enforce narratives. Considering here the way Manchester City benefit repeatedly from soft refereeing - I can't see any narrative they apply being in any way beneficial to us.

We have to be ready for it and play the long game, not lose our shit and just keep grinding them. Because the way I see it, this is a free hit for us. Anything can happen. Let's just not miss the chance to apply ourselves.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 09:29:12 am »
Thanks Grobbelrevell, great read that.  Boyce Autos  :wellin

May the Gods of international breaks shower us with good fortune.  I'm not going to think about this game until the last aeroplane back has landed.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 09:31:57 am »
Bookmarked for next Thursday's morning coffee this OP

At this point we are in a great position and if we don't lose it will be a good start to the next batch of games. I think we can and will win though - hopefully the internationals are kind to our players and those injured make a speedy recovery
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 09:58:36 am »
Opportunity knocks.

This is a huge chance to get in baldy's head. If we get out of this with a result (even a draw) I think we've a great chance. Win this and then our next 5 home PL fixtures until then end of Jan are massive. 

Big fortnight in the physio room before this please. Be excellent to have Curtis and Grav back. 
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 10:03:37 am »
Think there's a good chance City play a very conservative game after what happened to them with Chelsea.  Might see Grealish instead of Doku.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 10:06:48 am »

Probably Oliver.

We'll know Tuesday week.

English football is as bent as fuck.

It'll be fucking Taylor, the cheating c*nt.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 10:07:02 am »
Hate this game. Our 2-2 there a couple of seasons was an absolute rollercoaster when we ideally needed the win, trailed twice and a draw felt ok but both sides looked like they could score with every attack. Last year was just not a good time for us to go there and was a bit sobering, although we bounced back from it well.

It’s obviously the hardest fixture of the season. And therefore I’d bite your hand off for a point. If we win it has huge psychological ramifications for both sides so we should use that as a real opportunity. If we lose then we’ll dust ourselves down and go on a run again, I’ve no doubt about that.

Once this is out of the way, we’ll have played City, Spurs and Newcastle away already. Still leaves a few tough always to come (Arsenal, Villa…then the ones that could go be awkward or could be a breeze like Everton, United, West Ham.

Basically, whatever the result, we’ll be in decent shape with 25 games left to go, but if we can get something that gets in their heads that would be utopia.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2023, 10:16:07 am »
I'll have a read of this in a couple of months time, when the international break is over....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 11:12:11 am »
Alisson
TAA    Konate if fit (if not then matip)   VVD     Gomez

Szobozlai      McAllister or Jones (depending on who is fitter/less knackered)    Gravenberch

Salah        Nunez       Jota

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2023, 11:16:33 am »
This game's probably a big yardstick of where we are and how far we go this year.  It's a pity that it's been forced to a 12:30 KO as it'll be as flat as a pancake.

Having watched City  a few times they can clearly be got at, especially with pace, so hopefully Nunez has a big one...
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 11:22:03 am »
It's Monday morning.

Absolutely fair  ;D
Twitter | Blog

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 11:31:57 am »
Just crap that it’s on at 12.30. Both sides will have fatigued players.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 11:38:15 am »
Great write up in the OP!

The 12:30 KO is obviously annoying. Can't believe how many of these we get. That said, at least the 12:30 KO will help dampen the Etihad atmosphere (no, that's not me taking the piss, they are obviously normally up for this game). Would rather the 12:30 at their place and not ours.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 11:51:14 am »
Take a point right now. Sluggish after the break no doubt. Keep the momentum with a point is just fine.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2023, 11:54:54 am »
12:30 is a nonsense, they need to fuck off with that kick off time at least for the big games.

Chelsea-Man City yesterday is probably a shit game if it's 12:30. Not to mention the post-international factor, so people are watching an inferior product.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 12:18:00 pm »
We need to go out and try to win this game. Let's make a statement and go at these. Stones is a miss for them and of course KDB is out. Our team needs to show belief and this could be a really important result for us in the context of the season. A win and our team will believe a title is a possibility, a loss and it's more than likely a battle for top 4 as we all expected at the start of the season. It would be nice to get a bit of good fortune in a big game for change rather than be screwed over by officials or deflected goals or balls being millimetres short of crossing the line.

It will also be interesting to see what players are missing/available after international break for both sides. We have goals in our team so I want us to go after them and chase the win.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2023, 12:50:40 pm »
Who do they have travelling to South America? Ederson and Alvarez are the only ones I can think of these days? They used to have more I think.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2023, 01:38:26 pm »
English football is as bent as fuck.

It'll be fucking Taylor, the cheating c*nt.

It won't be Taylor, he reffed them last night. Probably Oliver.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2023, 02:16:14 pm »
Looking at the pens they have won this season, I have a feeling they will get the softest of ones in this game. Plus with no Robbo at left-back, I think they will target Tsimi - we are going to need to have our shooting boots on and make sure we take our chances.
JFT97

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2023, 02:20:06 pm »
Think there's a good chance City play a very conservative game after what happened to them with Chelsea.  Might see Grealish instead of Doku.

great - 10 mins extra time each half to account for his play acting.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2023, 02:44:44 pm »
Bonus points for the first player to clatter Phil Foden like Sterling did yesterday.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2023, 05:40:33 pm »
Opportunity knocks.

This is a huge chance to get in baldy's head. If we get out of this with a result (even a draw) I think we've a great chance. Win this and then our next 5 home PL fixtures until then end of Jan are massive. 

Big fortnight in the physio room before this please. Be excellent to have Curtis and Grav back.
plus at least one of Konate and Gomez.  their speed will be very important.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 07:06:31 pm »
Who do they have travelling to South America? Ederson and Alvarez are the only ones I can think of these days? They used to have more I think.

Just Alvarez now, Ederson has picked up a "knock"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2023, 07:33:26 pm »

We should offer him a lift and then deck him on the runway like Indiana Jones vs the big, bald Nazi.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2023, 07:39:15 pm »

So he doesn't have to travel, and Ali not only travels, but will now play both games, too. And then Ederson will miraculously recover just in time to play against us.

On the plus side, it shows they're worried.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2023, 07:57:03 pm »
Meat pies, sausage rolls, come on Liverpool score some goals.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2023, 08:22:32 pm »
plus at least one of Konate and Gomez.  their speed will be very important.

If Konate has an hamstring injury then it’s unlikely he makes that game?

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2023, 08:30:46 pm »
Now Kovacic has pulled out of the Croatia squad despite playing for City last night. Another one guaranteed to play against us.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2023, 08:58:05 pm »
Great OP!

As pointed out, City are so good that we could do absolutely everything right and still lose. Best to remember that.

What is also absolutely clear with City is that you need to get your balance in midfield spot-on, and every midfielder (regardless of plane travel) needs to be ready to put a massive shift in.

Secondly, if we start slow and timid like we have a few times away from home this year, we'll be out of the contest within 25-30 mins. City are that good. You need to be at it from minute one.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2023, 09:04:32 pm »
Thanks OP.

Feeling confident going into this unlike last season because we've done our job by beating teams we should beat (Newcastle makes up for Luton).

Why am I confident? Because we have tools to hurt them:
1. They are vulnerable to transitions and we're very quick in midfield and attack.
2. They'll press but we have more solutions with the guile of the likes of Grav, Szobo and Darwin's pace.
3. They've looked very beatable so far. In fact, they've regressed IMO.

Let's go for it because we have qualities that they fear. I'd start Grav, Darwin and Diaz because we need that pace and power to hurt their slow defensive spine (Rodri, Dias and Ake?)

Gvardiol looks awkward and Mo would love to play against him.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 09:12:05 pm »
Now Kovacic has pulled out of the Croatia squad despite playing for City last night. Another one guaranteed to play against us.

Fully expect none of city’s key players to play for their national teams during the international break, especially if long haul travel is involved

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2023, 09:21:08 pm »
So he doesn't have to travel, and Ali not only travels, but will now play both games, too. And then Ederson will miraculously recover just in time to play against us.

On the plus side, it shows they're worried.
that plus won't get us much will it?

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2023, 09:21:40 pm »
If Konate has an hamstring injury then it’s unlikely he makes that game?
hamstring?  haven't seen that reported anywhere.....

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2023, 09:26:48 pm »
hamstring?  haven't seen that reported anywhere.....
French said he would be back in training Friday/Saturday so they didn’t think it worth calling him up.

The South Americans play Tuesday night early Wednesday morning, so it coukd be worse as it coukd have been 24 hours later.

Alisson will play as Ederson has pulled out with a foot injury which will miraculously be better.

Szoboszlai may miss the Thursday game as there is a chance it gets cancelled
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W