Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 314049 times)

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »
http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-2

This is amazing, have a look. (it doesn't have any black blocks ;))

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2012, 02:21:59 pm »

What's that black block on the rover? Freakin alien technology I tells ya...

Meanwhile...
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »
Brown skies and a whitish Sun, amazing view...

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:06 pm »
They should have landed that thing near the face on Mars just to see it. Just in case.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:32 pm »
Have they ever sent back any type of video recorded by the rovers on Mars?

Or is it simply impossible to do due to the distance?

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:06 pm »
They should have landed that thing near the face on Mars just to see it. Just in case.
They took a pretty good picture of it with the MRO

Looks less face like....but until we can send Gary Sinise inside it, we'll not know for sure.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2012, 09:43:30 pm »
Still looks like a face if your name is Gareth Bale.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:55 pm »
Have they ever sent back any type of video recorded by the rovers on Mars?

Or is it simply impossible to do due to the distance?
I think they recorded a video of it landing, so it can be done.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »
I think they recorded a video of it landing, so it can be done.
Wasn't that a set of stills though? Looks like the problem is more sending the volume of data back to Earth.

Another question; the Curiosity software was upgraded/replaced this weekend (the so-called brain transplant). I'm not sure why this software wasn't built in to Curiosity in the first place.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:45 pm »

Thats pretty impressive. But Mars looks like a fuckin boring place doesn't it?  :D

Someone mentioned it earlier on but is there any audio or 'noise' that the rover is recording from there?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
Wasn't that a set of stills though? Looks like the problem is more sending the volume of data back to Earth.

Another question; the Curiosity software was upgraded/replaced this weekend (the so-called brain transplant). I'm not sure why this software wasn't built in to Curiosity in the first place.

You probably could do 'live' video - the cameras use the same kind of technology - but there's no real scientific purpose for it, especially when you can just string images together like they did during the landing.

As for the upgrade, the tech heads are constantly updating software for all robotic vehicles, from Opportunity to New Horizons to the Voyagers.  It's better to launch the probe and beta test the upgrade whilst the probe is in transit rather than keep it sitting in a clean room at JPL for another 6 months.

EDIT: This on the BBC explains a lot as well.

Curiosity runs two computers - a main unit and a back-up. Both have been updated to what programmers call the R10 configuration.

This software is optimised for surface operations, enabling the rover to drive, drill into rocks and take samples into the laboratories inside its body.

The update also removed all the code used by Curiosity during the complex manoeuvres required to land in Gale Crater, a deep depression on Mars' equator.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:17:58 am by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »
Guys, just to give you a flavor of the daily mission reports, here is a copy below of the one for sol 8. Note that the data links are in 10s of Mb volume for each pass of MRO and Odyssey. How many of you could live with an Internet that allows them some 100-200 Mb download per day?! It's a different world really. And remember that the entire river runs on 110W!

-----------------------------------

Spacecraft Status: (post sol 8 pm downlink, as of 12:00 Pacific time)

Curiosity has completed the transition to surface FSW version R10.5.7.  The backup computer (RCE-B) was committed to the new flight software R10.5.7 on sol 8.  Curiosity is healthy operating on RCE-A and all rover systems and instruments are Green. Kudos to the FSW transition team for a smooth upgrade on both prime and backup RCE's. We are therefore currently GO for planned sol 9 activities which mark the beginning of CAP1B.

Sol 8 orbiter performance is generally consistent with predicts. Sol 8 AM pass volumes of 50 Mb (MRO), 14 Mb (ODY), 19 Mb (ODY), and PM volumes of 12 Mb (MRO), and 46Mb (ODY)

Selected Subsystem summary:
Power: Nominal: RTG output between 113 and 117 W
Thermal:  Nominal with 30% peak duty cycle on Ccam Mast Unit Survival heater, 0% on other survival heaters. 
Telecom:  Nominal with performance matching predicts for HGA and UHF performance matching predicts as well
SAPP: Nominal.  Heading: 111.5 degrees, Pitch –3.618 degrees, Roll –2.422 degrees
FSW:  Nominal and in R10 on prime and backup RCE

Significant Issues in work:
·         None

Anomalies in work:
·         None

Wake up song:  Theme from Star Wars by John Williams

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »
Was this video really made by NASA?

Can't embed it for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvNhsWMU0c&feature=g-upl
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »
Yeah, most definItely the video is NASA made.

There was an accident on Mars though, you might have read in the news already - Curiosity killed the cat:

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
Don't know if this is available to non UK users but it's a pretty neat panoramic exploration on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19296006

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »
Two weeks on Mars and all is going well. (I personally can't believe it...). Excerpt from project communications:
After two weeks on the surface of Mars, Curiosity successfully deployed her arm, reached toward the sky (see attached thumbnail image; sorry, don't know how to post from iPhone gallery) and then restowed her arm.  She also successfully exercised her inlet covers, dirt removal tool, and CHIMRA. The  drill checkout activity failed during the drill feed motion to the positive hardstop.  The Mechanisms team determined that a motion parameter was set too tightly.  This is not a constraint on the nominal sol 15 plan for mobility steering checkout.  Curiosity and all her science instruments continue to be healthy.  She is operating on RCE A, in Surface nominal mode.  Power and thermal subsystems performance is per predicts.  UHF relay performance is excellent (including MEX).

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:47 am »

Popcorn's Art

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2012, 12:09:45 pm »
disappointed they are sending another rover to Mars in 2016. should investigate further and hit one of the moons.

Or send some men!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:42 pm »
I thought it was the ESA sending the next rover, rather than NASA?  NASA's next trip is a trace gas orbiter if I understand rightly...

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »
Someone sending a rover to Mars in 2016? Not that I'm aware of. NASA and ESA had thoughts of a joint mission, but politics played a role. ESA wanted the rover technology for the $1bn thy would pitch in, NASA doesn't want to do business. At some stage NASA wanted to go alone in 2016, but the mission was not funded. It takes a little longer than 4 years to build a new Mars mission (although why we don't use the same technology and just change instruments on the rover is beyond me). Who knows what's next, but JPL has no big mission in sight. None...

The success at JPL is our downfall, really. I posted earlier that the mission operation budget for the previous two rovers alone would amount to about $2bn, which is rougly the cost of building the new mission. So what do you do when you land safely, do what you were set out to do for 3 months, abandon the rovers and build a new mission, or work for 8 years and not build a new mission... It's a zero sum game when it comes to NASA budget, and in a system like that mediocrity is rewarded.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: August 22, 2012, 04:22:50 pm »
disappointed they are sending another rover to Mars in 2016. should investigate further and hit one of the moons.

Or send some men!
Since this would be a one way ticket, I have started a list of names for the mission. ;D

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »
Oh, forgot to write this, Curiosity is moving tomorrow! It wiggled its driving wheels today.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:40 am »
(although why we don't use the same technology and just change instruments on the rover is beyond me).

I thought that myself.  Maybe NASA can't send another nuclear rover to Mars but Spirit and Opportunity have proved you can have a reliable, long lived, solar powered rover.  The basic chassis and delivery system could easily be used again with different instruments.  Not to mention all the experience that has been gained operating the MERs - would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2012, 11:54:59 am »
The first rock has been zapped and analysed

Curiosity’s spectrometers recorded data on 6144 channels, ranging from ultraviolet to infrared light from 240 to 850 nanometers. This is an image of this spectrum, and was sent back from Mars on August 19, 2012.

There are emission lines from different elements, including oxygen, silicon and sodium; also some minor elements like titanium and manganese. The high carbon peak comes from the atmosphere of Mars, not from the rock zapped. The peak indicating hydrogen came only from the first laser shot, which suggests this element was only present on the surface of the rock.

See this post for more on the ChemCam: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=396320040433174&set=a.334832996581879.82450.334816523250193&type=3&theater

http://curiositywatch.com/first-results-from-chemcam-spectometer/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2012, 12:21:32 pm »

On the nose
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: August 23, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
Titanium?  Probably announcing my stupidity to all and sundry here but I had no idea that element existed naturally.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #266 on: August 23, 2012, 12:32:26 pm »
Titanium?  Probably announcing my stupidity to all and sundry here but I had no idea that element existed naturally.

It's a transition metal like many that can be found within rocks and elsewhere. Not sure how you could think it wasn't "Natural". It doesn't come out of the ground in watch shapes or looking like a razor blade you know :D It comes out in clusters (Like Crystal structures) mostly but can also be found veined in rocks like other metal deposits.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #267 on: August 23, 2012, 01:21:56 pm »
Hands down the coolest spectra I've ever seen.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »
I bet they hide the precious metals and more importantly metals from Cybertron :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »
Hands down the coolest spectra I've ever seen.

Its this bit that sounds so cool

The ChemCam laser fired 30 pulses at Coronation during a 10-second period; each pulse had more than a million watts of power for about five one-billionths of a second. This energy excited the atoms in the rock into ionised glowing plasma; the light from this spark was caught by ChemCam’s telescope and was analysed with three spectrometers for information on its chemical composition.

I love just how public NASA are being with all this info.

Spectra taken on Sunday.

4 days later the data has been received, analysed, validated, recorded, stored and released to the public. 

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
It's a transition metal like many that can be found within rocks and elsewhere. Not sure how you could think it wasn't "Natural". It doesn't come out of the ground in watch shapes or looking like a razor blade you know :D It comes out in clusters (Like Crystal structures) mostly but can also be found veined in rocks like other metal deposits.

I thought it was an artificial, man made alloy.  Plutonium was synthesised before it was discovered in nature.  I guess trace amounts of titanium would also be naturally occurring. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
I thought it was an artificial, man made alloy.  Plutonium was synthesised before it was discovered in nature.  I guess trace amounts of titanium would also be naturally occurring. 

I believe there's actually a shitton of titanium (relatively speaking). It's so expensive because it's really hard to extract, process and work.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »
Also helps thats its strong, non-ferrous and corrosion-resistant which makes it popular in the medical world

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2012, 03:06:18 pm »
The descent, now in hi res:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7y9PneSars" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h7y9PneSars</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »
Well that was a bit wow wasn't it :)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »
Well that was a bit wow wasn't it :)
It was. Incredible when you're just used to seeing footage like that on our own planet, then you realise it's an alien world.

Still, though; I've noticed the odd dickhead on Youtube moaning about it. It's to be expected, though. Some people...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cYqqEBsPFNM&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cYqqEBsPFNM&amp;feature=relmfu</a>

This one's even more impressive.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:12:23 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline ChiTownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2012, 08:16:17 pm »
Absolutely fucking incredible.
xbox live - un3elievable

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »
I'm quite surprised that Mars is so bright on the surface given how far away the sun is?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
I'm quite surprised that Mars is so bright on the surface given how far away the sun is?

Studio lighting ;)

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
Who'd have thought Geology was interesting.

Curiosity rover's intriguing geological find