Author Topic: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)  (Read 796010 times)

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Andy Robertson (Andrew Henry Robertson MBE)
« Reply #6600 on: March 19, 2024, 08:17:57 am »
Not his job to put the ball in the back of the net is it? Has any full back ever been a natural goal scorer as to be honest I'm shocked he's had so many assists over his career. Lucky to have him for the past few years, one of the bargain buys of the past twenty years and more

How very dare you!
JFT97

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6601 on: March 19, 2024, 08:44:19 am »

Watching Ait-Nouri closely and he fits the profile perfectly and I'm of the opinion he would almost certainly out-pace (not just speed-wise) Robbo at some point in the 24/25 season. We have lost a number of senior figures over the years and I for one would love for Robbo to remain as one of our experienced players not just on the pitch but in the dressing room even if we do sign competition/replacement.

How many experienced players do we have even without Robbo? Assuming they stay post-Jurgen, van Dijk, Ali, Mo, Trent. How many is enough? At what point, do we trust the new group to build their own leaders? Isn't there a danger that in maintaining contracts for older players on the basis of their 'leadership' we tell the younger group they are not fully trusted? Certainly, if I were an England player being kept out of the squad by Jordan Henderson, I'd infer negative connotations from the choice. Personally, I don't believe that there is a need to factor it into our decision-making regarding player retention or replacement, providing we maintain three or four more experienced players for the transition.
And I'm with Yorky in that I'd like to see Beck in pre-season before necessarily buying anyone new.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:46:04 am by No666 »

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6602 on: March 19, 2024, 02:00:00 pm »

How many experienced players do we have even without Robbo? Assuming they stay post-Jurgen, van Dijk, Ali, Mo, Trent. How many is enough? At what point, do we trust the new group to build their own leaders? Isn't there a danger that in maintaining contracts for older players on the basis of their 'leadership' we tell the younger group they are not fully trusted? Certainly, if I were an England player being kept out of the squad by Jordan Henderson, I'd infer negative connotations from the choice. Personally, I don't believe that there is a need to factor it into our decision-making regarding player retention or replacement, providing we maintain three or four more experienced players for the transition.
And I'm with Yorky in that I'd like to see Beck in pre-season before necessarily buying anyone new.

I actually agree with you regarding having enough players who want it and new leaders emerging from within....my train of thought was if we do buy someone, which I think we should, then one of Robbo or Tsimikas will be on their way and I feel like we should retain Robbo even if Tsimi would have a year or two more in him just because of his experience and know-how. (Talking 2025 season here).

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6603 on: March 19, 2024, 03:05:54 pm »
Yeah, most of your post I agreed with 100%. However, I think Tsimikas offers more going forwards and has taken over the role of Salah's oddball bessie - you could make an argument for retaining him from the perspective of squad harmony. & that is arguably as important a factor going forwards as the retention of so-called leaders.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #6604 on: March 19, 2024, 05:22:51 pm »
I had a long conversation with my mate when Robbo returned from his shoulder injury. We both agreed that to judge his form after a long lay-off was unfair, and we were both surprised that Tsimikas wasn’t getting the nod.

I suggested that the limitations of his game were becoming more pronounced last season, and wondered whether the huge demands on Klopp regular starters that we have witnessed result in the deterioration of former regulars (Hendo, Bobby, Fab, even Mane) was being seen again.

In his pomp his pace, desire and delivery were formidable weapons, which more than compensated for his one-footedness. Antonee Robinson is probably not the profile of player we’d be interested in, but it’s been noticeable in this, his best season by far since leaving Everton, that his energy and pace are real assets, but that his ability to use his right foot (like Kostas too) when it’s the right thing to do, are in stark contrast to Robbo.

I hope this doesn’t read as a contribution to a ‘pile on’ - his service to L.F.C doesn’t warrant that. But I think it’s legitimate to question whether this summer’s team building, with a new management structure in place, will see his place as secure as it’s been.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6605 on: March 19, 2024, 06:36:26 pm »
i think left back is one of the areas we can imrove on for next season

robbo had a good chance of scoring against united bad sadly the ball went over the stand

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6606 on: March 19, 2024, 06:55:09 pm »
Perhaps Steve Nicol or Fabio Aurelio could fill the much needed goal scoring left back slot?

We didn’t lose that game because of Robbo. It was the forwards who were profligate, and I hate to say it some good saves by Onana.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6607 on: March 19, 2024, 07:20:00 pm »
i think left back is one of the areas we can imrove on for next season

robbo had a good chance of scoring against united bad sadly the ball went over the stand

Which has always been the case, hasn't it? Robbo has never been any good at shooting. Must admit, I am a bit confused why he is getting critisism now. Just come back from injury, starting to play his way into it again and against utd put in that last ditch block, and looked solid. Down the left we looked very solid thanks to him. Not a lot wrong there. What is he doing wrong? or what do you want to see?. For me, it's minutes on the pitch and to get his match fitness.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:45:12 pm by red1977 »

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6608 on: March 19, 2024, 07:45:03 pm »
Some awful fucking short memories on here and some seem very quick to write players off.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6609 on: March 19, 2024, 07:53:14 pm »
Yeah, most of your post I agreed with 100%. However, I think Tsimikas offers more going forwards and has taken over the role of Salah's oddball bessie - you could make an argument for retaining him from the perspective of squad harmony. & that is arguably as important a factor going forwards as the retention of so-called leaders.

My last post in this thread atm. Based on what?. Given Tsimikas hasn't played and Gomez has? And before Robbo got injured he was flying.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:57:56 pm by red1977 »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6610 on: March 19, 2024, 08:41:55 pm »

Yeah experienced players are great if they’re still good enough. If they’re not then no thanks. No comment on Robbo specifically. Would love him to be a rotation choice at LB next season alongside a younger player coming in.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6611 on: March 19, 2024, 09:00:57 pm »
Some awful fucking short memories on here and some seem very quick to write players off.
Who we on about?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #6612 on: March 19, 2024, 10:33:18 pm »
Don't see any Robertson 'problem' personally, seems to me a case of form is temporary, class is permanent. Not that his form is even particularly bad IMO and this whole narrative to the contrary on RAWK is a bit baffling, but clearly opinions differ on that.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6613 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:55 am »
brazil left back wendell is one to watch saw him play for porto recently

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6614 on: March 23, 2024, 12:06:17 pm »
I caught some flak for being critical of Robertson some months ago, although people seemed keen to ignore the content of my criticisms and just attack me for having anything negative to say.

I honestly think we’re seeing the last 6-12 months of Robbo’s time here. No one is disputing he is an absolute club legend who has delivered far and beyond what any of us expected of him. Let’s just set that as context. But Michael Edwards will surely not offer a new contract; he has two years at £100,000 a week on his current deal. He’s 30 still has some resale value and there’s high-quality options presumably available on the market this summer. I think from a purely ruthless perspective we’ll shop him around this summer or next, or he sees his contract out here and leaves on a free if he doesn’t want to depart in line with the club’s (presumed) preference.

This is only me firing out what I expect would be the sporting set up’s stance based on a number of factors.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6615 on: March 23, 2024, 01:25:28 pm »
brazil left back wendell is one to watch saw him play for porto recently

He is 30 so I’d scrub him off the list !

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6616 on: March 23, 2024, 01:27:54 pm »
I caught some flak for being critical of Robertson some months ago, although people seemed keen to ignore the content of my criticisms and just attack me for having anything negative to say.

I honestly think we’re seeing the last 6-12 months of Robbo’s time here. No one is disputing he is an absolute club legend who has delivered far and beyond what any of us expected of him. Let’s just set that as context. But Michael Edwards will surely not offer a new contract; he has two years at £100,000 a week on his current deal. He’s 30 still has some resale value and there’s high-quality options presumably available on the market this summer. I think from a purely ruthless perspective we’ll shop him around this summer or next, or he sees his contract out here and leaves on a free if he doesn’t want to depart in line with the club’s (presumed) preference.

This is only me firing out what I expect would be the sporting set up’s stance based on a number of factors.

I think so too I reckon he stays next season but he could be gone summer 2025.

Time will tell I guess 12 months is a long time in footy two of our lads were in league one 9 months ago now you’d argue they are both first 11 players.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #6617 on: March 23, 2024, 02:04:07 pm »

Let them lose their legs on someone else’s pitch and all that.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #6618 on: March 23, 2024, 09:59:32 pm »
What's he doing wrong? Not much in my book. We had a problem for thirty years before, when we couldn't produce a  top class PL left back, don't think we have one now.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6619 on: March 24, 2024, 07:22:21 am »

Ah yes, the claims of 'disrespect' when you'd made abundantly clear that Robertson was a 'legend' in your post(s). Bizarre. I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6620 on: March 24, 2024, 09:35:17 am »
What's he doing wrong? Not much in my book. We had a problem for thirty years before, when we couldn't produce a  top class PL left back, don't think we have one now.
Yeah, my view is that good LBs are very hard to find, and we should be careful.
Maybe thats my scars from decades of injured or shite LBs before Robbo, but looking at our competitors I think its actually true.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6621 on: March 24, 2024, 10:20:53 am »
He was good ve Man U always been horrible in front of goal
the issue is his pace & energy & are his major assets he isnt a technical full back bar his crossing.
So he is someone at 30 who is the wane.
We probably do need a new full back with elite pace & stamina on the left

not to say Robertson cannot stay but his time is likely coming towards the end.
He isnt a CB or a CF/forward that we keep until 35 maybe like VVD or Salah

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6622 on: March 24, 2024, 10:38:55 am »
Yeah, my view is that good LBs are very hard to find, and we should be careful.

F Sharkey, the Irish lad, he springs to mind.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6623 on: March 24, 2024, 04:27:23 pm »

I don't think he'll get a contract extension but I actually think we'll keep him until it runs out unless he pushes for a move. Selling him early means his replacement would need to hit the ground running, and rotating him with his replacement offers the best chance of keeping him contributing to a high level for a couple more seasons. If anything I think Tsimikas moves on and Andy sticks around, with a view to one of the youth products taking over as second choice when Andy leaves. Selling a 30 year old full back isn't going to make us a lot, and his wages shouldn't be astronomical.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6624 on: March 24, 2024, 06:42:42 pm »

There's a risk of him getting hurt.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6625 on: March 24, 2024, 06:43:44 pm »
;D

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #6626 on: March 28, 2024, 11:00:01 am »
I could see him leaving for Celtic if he feels he's coming to the end of his PL career. That would be a nice way to round things off.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6627 on: March 28, 2024, 11:02:42 am »
I could see him leaving for Celtic if he feels he's coming to the end of his PL career. That would be a nice way to round things off.

Hopefully not. They fucked him to the scrap heap when he was a kid as they didn't think he was good enough. So if they came knocking I'd love him to tell them to piss off.

He wouldn't though as he's still a supporter.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #6628 on: March 28, 2024, 11:06:26 am »
Fair point. Maybe a return to Queen's Park, then?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6629 on: March 28, 2024, 11:31:17 am »
Coming to the end of his PL career?

Surely it's not glue factory time yet.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #6630 on: March 28, 2024, 12:15:33 pm »
I didn't mean this season!! I meant when the time comes to think about it for him.

That said, I've seen people suggest he should stop playing for Scotland and prioritise Liverpool instead because internationals are meaningless and Scotland will never win anything anyway, which I'm choosing to believe is misplaced anger at the injury rather than consigning him to the great dressing room in the sky.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6631 on: March 28, 2024, 12:55:36 pm »
Fair do's!!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6632 on: March 28, 2024, 06:02:34 pm »
I could see him leaving the national team after the Euros.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #6633 on: March 28, 2024, 06:44:13 pm »
Andy still remembers being cut by Sellick. He takes nothing for granted and plays every game like it might be his last. He doesn't give up on anything and that is why we love him. Haste ye back Robbo!

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #6634 on: March 31, 2024, 02:03:04 am »
LB feels probably the position (along with LW) Edwards and co would look at upgrading ?. I realise Tsimikas is good - but isnt the answer longterm imho (need a better defender ideally a Robbo clone)

Online groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6635 on: April 2, 2024, 09:34:29 am »
Kinda insane to me, and I know he's currently injured, how much his stock seems to have fallen. To me, it's not really a reflection on his own form but rather that Klopp has asked the full-backs to be more conservative than in previous years, for some reason, and that doesn't really suit him as a natural wing-back. Is no-one else watching our games with Gomez at LB and imagining how much more forward momentum we'd be getting with Robertson there? Gomez hardly crosses the halfway line, never mind provides an overlap for Diaz.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 09:36:19 am by groove »

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6636 on: April 2, 2024, 09:44:29 am »
Kinda insane to me, and I know he's currently injured, how much his stock seems to have fallen. To me, it's not really a reflection on his own form but rather that Klopp has asked the full-backs to be more conservative than in previous years, for some reason, and that doesn't really suit him as a natural wing-back. Is no-one else watching our games with Gomez at LB and imagining how much more forward momentum we'd be getting with Robertson there? Gomez hardly crosses the halfway line, never mind provides an overlap for Diaz.

Also he was part of a really poor Liverpool team last season. Basically everyone else has redeemed themselves (including the defence as a whole) if needed from last year except for Robbo - he’s just not been fit enough to do so. Given that we’re still wondering if last season is an aberration or his level these days.

Online Kop Kings

• Kopite
« Reply #6637 on: April 2, 2024, 12:41:30 pm »
He did play the first three months of the season, to be fair, although I agree with you in essence The man is a legend who has put everything into this club, he deserves patience.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6638 on: April 2, 2024, 01:05:01 pm »
He did play the first three months of the season, to be fair, although I agree with you in essence The man is a legend who has put everything into this club, he deserves patience.

Good point.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 11:13:08 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."