Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3317322 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #28880 on: January 28, 2024, 04:11:15 pm »
Yeah, sorry for your loss RedMark

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28881 on: January 28, 2024, 05:32:13 pm »
Appreciate it guys, but its not necessary. Was just trying to put some perspective on Jurgen and possibly help people frame it in a different way.

Anyway, on people saying Klopp will just have to get on board with people singing his name, honestly think he'll tell people to pack it in or hell fuck off at Easter.

Up the annoying reds

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28882 on: January 31, 2024, 12:13:44 pm »
On the reaction to Klopp, I'm in a slightly odd situation (and I'll add now that this isn't me posting for sympathy or in any sort of holier than anyone way).

My mum's funeral was on Monday, and the immediate days after were very hard.

So initially hearing the news on Friday I was "oh please, not this week"

However after a relatively short time I'd realised that it's (for me at least) come at not the worst time

I'm devastated he's leaving, but ultimately he couldn't stay forever and coming in the month mum passed away has brought some perspective. This isn't me having a go at anyone who's feeling absolutely awful, but it's weird hearing people describing like he's dead.

He's a man (a great man) who has decided he's had enough of his job. It won't be the same without him, but the club remains.

Just saw your post, now. Sincere sympathy to you and yours.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:12:10 pm by Big Bamber »

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28883 on: January 31, 2024, 05:40:47 pm »
Jaut saw your post, now. Sincere sympathy to you and yours.

Likewise Redmark. Massive time in your life mate. Been there.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28884 on: January 31, 2024, 07:33:05 pm »
It's appreciated guys. Wasn't the aim.

I know no one wants to be the person who posts

"Yeah but what about What Gibbo said"

I say this in the realm of Gibbo being probably the most loved (judging by previous TAW "gigs").

Sorry Atko

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28885 on: January 31, 2024, 07:58:18 pm »
Almost everyone in the shows after Friday has expressed all sorts of emotions, from shock to concern, pride, love and so on. But nobody carried as much emotion in voice alone like Guttman in that Gutter. Man sounded properly broken and devastated.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28886 on: February 1, 2024, 12:28:36 pm »
Just listened to the Rory Smith & Neil Atkinson next manager discussion. It was well-informed and thought-provoking, as always. Really well done to both and TAW in general.

And, just to add, my heart goes out to the largely shell-shocked crew who found themselves having to express their thoughts in the immediate aftermath throughout Friday. There was a couple of times when someone would say "i'm just talking nonsense now" (or some such), but really it was them realising the enormity of what they had just had to say out loud. Every Liverpool fan had a wobble on Friday, so appreciate having you all to talk me through what I was feeling.

Much love

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28887 on: February 1, 2024, 01:30:13 pm »
There was a similar conversation on another thread re Klopp leaving  and comparing it to other  more serious issues.

People react differently. Mark (deepest sympathies) understandably thinks comparing to his mother dying a man leaving his job 2 year early isnt that big a deal, someone else might think, On top of my mother dying this other thing that brings me such joy is ending and the two combined can make each situation more acute.
I lost a baby nephew, it devastated the family and anything shit that happened at the time I seemed to be extra bothered about it.

I think looking at it either way is understandable.

As the great man once said
'Everything has an end, only the sausage has two.'

Yes Gibbo is very loveable and has a cheeky squeezable face.

UTR

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28888 on: February 2, 2024, 09:52:37 am »
A bit of talk on the Midweek Extra show about Pochettino and Chelsea being releived they don't have to play us again.  They're going to be shocked when the League Cup final comes round!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28889 on: February 2, 2024, 01:24:29 pm »
Love the Friday Show and enjoy listening to Jim the Arsenal fan. Him saying that Arsenal’s defenders are better than our attackers (without Mo, granted), feels a slightly wild shout. Maybe I’m underestimating them a bit, but in our current shape I think we should be able to go there and score a couple.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28890 on: February 2, 2024, 04:58:10 pm »
Love the Friday Show and enjoy listening to Jim the Arsenal fan. Him saying that Arsenal’s defenders are better than our attackers (without Mo, granted), feels a slightly wild shout. Maybe I’m underestimating them a bit, but in our current shape I think we should be able to go there and score a couple.

He's responding to when they spoke to the other Arsenal fan before the cup game and he compared Martinelli to Suarez.

Still not over that

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #28891 on: February 2, 2024, 06:39:04 pm »
Great great question…..which promoters an excrement discussion

Who has been our best player this season…

(Although the answer is obviously VVD)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28892 on: February 2, 2024, 08:37:12 pm »
Great great question…..which promoters an excrement discussion

Who has been our best player this season…

(Although the answer is obviously VVD)

Yeah, Virgil has been exceptional, but there are a couple who are really close behind him, namely Trent and Alisson.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28893 on: February 4, 2024, 03:47:49 am »
Was a really nice bit on Klopp from Jim Johnson that came up on the latest Lost Tapes.
:D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #28894 on: February 5, 2024, 01:30:01 pm »
TAW has a lot of good shows but it remains a weird gap that they don’t have a proper post match show
Most fan channels / outlets go big on this and have pretty in depth shows or discussions post match and I’d guess it’s when a lot of fans want content and reaction

Last nights was odd - not sure why Mo Stewart is hosting shows but phoning it in for 10 minutes.. telling your subscribers you don’t want to be there and then ending it asap with no proper discussion other than sad vibes wasn’t great

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28895 on: February 5, 2024, 02:07:54 pm »
TAW not having a 'proper post match show' is the maddest take I've read on here since S said Liverpool aren't in a title race about 12 hours ago. :lmao

They literally have two each match, they're never huge on analysis but that's what other shows are for. It's too emotive in the immediate after match for anything more.

Do agree the Post Match Pint was phoned in a bit, but it's definitely 'one of them'.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2024, 02:11:28 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28896 on: February 5, 2024, 02:29:12 pm »
Yeah. You have PMP - for quick bask in the glory or therapy session depending on the result. It’s raw and doesn’t go too deep. Then there is the proper show after - which is a middle ground between emotion and reason and finally the deep (but possibly dry for some) analysis on the Review. There is something for everyone, or any mood.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #28897 on: February 5, 2024, 11:29:10 pm »
TAW has a lot of good shows but it remains a weird gap that they don’t have a proper post match show
Most fan channels / outlets go big on this and have pretty in depth shows or discussions post match and I’d guess it’s when a lot of fans want content and reaction

Last nights was odd - not sure why Mo Stewart is hosting shows but phoning it in for 10 minutes.. telling your subscribers you don’t want to be there and then ending it asap with no proper discussion other than sad vibes wasn’t great

I think it's partly because TAW has become a little too stratified in terms of its structure of shows. Its like the lads on the post match pint were scared to offer actual analysis, because that's what the review is for, apparently. If it was Neil, Sean and Dan on the PMP, I'd get it. But it's different voices. Josh Williams is a great analyst. I wanted to hear his analysis.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #28898 on: February 5, 2024, 11:30:51 pm »
Noticed how often Gibbo says "sort of" and now I can't ignore it, haha.

The Arsenal fan (Jim?) on Friday Show punctuates every clause with 'right' and it does my head it once I notice.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #28899 on: February 5, 2024, 11:37:05 pm »
The Arsenal fan (Jim?) on Friday Show punctuates every clause with 'right' and it does my head it once I notice.

I can't listen to him anymore because of this.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28900 on: February 6, 2024, 12:10:38 pm »
Verbal tics are pretty common and I guess they're accentuated and more obvious if you talk on a podcast a lot. I used to work with an American girl in an office and she found it very amusing how I would say 'quite' before an adjective e.g. "that was quite good" or "that is quite interesting". She thought it was (quite) quaint and very English. I think the Arsenal guy is good value, to be honest, right?

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28901 on: February 9, 2024, 09:42:59 pm »
Verbal tics are pretty common and I guess they're accentuated and more obvious if you talk on a podcast a lot. I used to work with an American girl in an office and she found it very amusing how I would say 'quite' before an adjective e.g. "that was quite good" or "that is quite interesting". She thought it was (quite) quaint and very English. I think the Arsenal guy is good value, to be honest, right?
Right.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28902 on: February 9, 2024, 09:45:48 pm »

Yeah, I like him. It’s weird living in London now. You see loads of London/southern Liverpool or United fans. Always feels slightly strange when it’s the other way round. Obviously a family connection or whatever. But like Chris the Chelsea fan from Congleton too.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #28903 on: February 10, 2024, 09:06:05 am »
Love The Anfield Wrap. No other fanbased shows come close.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28904 on: February 12, 2024, 03:29:09 pm »
She’s been on for a bit but just wanted to say I’m really liking the contributions of Beth Lindop. Excellent addition. 👍
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #28905 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:13 pm »
Hopefully won’t mind me putting a minor screenshot in. Love the writing on the wrap but a minor thing that does my nut in. Have I got a setting wrong on my phone/app causing this to happen with apostrophes or is it just a thing with the app?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #28906 on: February 12, 2024, 09:27:47 pm »
It's the same on mine, I assumed it was some kind of formatting thing at their end although is strange it's not been fixed if so as it's been like it as long as I can remember.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28907 on: February 12, 2024, 10:15:10 pm »
They do some adverts on paid podcasts as well.
I don't really mind honestly, as long as TAW folks get to run their business and produce content it's fine.
Also they aren't advartising any horrible companies and they do it within reason and tastefully, often offering discounts and so on.

So all fine by me.

I'd genuinely pay double to remove them entirely. I have to get out of the shower to skip forwards sometimes  ::) ;D Or dig my phone out to skip them. Personal opinion but after weeks of hearing it I start to turn completely off to the companies involved, but tbf Greene King and Nord VPN are front and centre of my mind while reading this thread!

While I'm here though I'll echo the comments on previous pages about Neil, once Klopp left and I read his piece I actually got to thinking what would I do without Neil's 'accompanying me' along week after week following the reds? Almost take him for granted! But I also (usually drunkenly) tell him he's the business every time I get the chance to see him.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28908 on: February 12, 2024, 10:23:17 pm »
Cheers Nick. We had to have them score one for us ;D

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28909 on: February 12, 2024, 10:25:22 pm »
I noticed that but two separate shows with different ads aren’t they? And I think they only have them on the free shows? All other podcasts have them, just a necessary ‘evil’ (obviously not that bad!) to help everything go out as we want.

Are the free shows just uploaded the same whether you're a paying subscriber or not?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28910 on: February 12, 2024, 10:50:30 pm »
Cheers Nick. We had to have them score one for us ;D

Needless to say, he had the last laugh. Right.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28911 on: February 13, 2024, 06:48:46 am »
I barely notice the ads.

I do remember someone on here recently saying seven minutes, which is ridiculous. I think even when Atko went into the 051 chat it was only around 3 minutes

Should add as I thought it at the time but things have been a bit hectic at home.

It was Adam Smith I think who made the comment about having different providers to stop a monopoly.

That only works when we can pick and choose which one we want. If our games are over three providers (as things stand) all it does is increase the consumer cost. It's a great point that I'd never really clocked.

All this has done is create more money for other companies. Discovery is now what £30. You used to be able to sign up on a monthly contract for BT for less. Was considering to watch a game tonight, us at the weekend and the away game in Europe. Screw that now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 09:06:26 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28912 on: February 13, 2024, 10:19:52 pm »
Needless to say, he had the last laugh. Right.
;D

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28913 on: February 14, 2024, 12:34:44 pm »

Late to this and I'm not sure I agree about TAW not having a "proper post match show" - in terms of quantity they have the PMP for video and the Pink for audio immediately after the match. Then for more in-depth analysis they have the main show + the review within 24hrs usually. Would be interested to see which fan outlets you're talking about Jack when you say "most" go big on in-depth reaction immediately after games compared to TAW. Genuine question because I rarely listen to immediate reaction stuff outside of TAW.

I will say that for me Clive, the immediate reaction shows (Pink and Post Match Pint) just don't really do it for me anymore. They've lost the magic, both by diluting it into two shows but more importantly, the absence of high-quality contributors to those shows. In terms of hosts, I love Gibbo but he can't bring the same energy as Neil used to on the Pink. Gibbo has noticeably cut back on the ale for the Pink though which I'm thankful for, there was a period where he was clearly 8 pints deep and slurring his way through every show.

It's mainly the contributors though. I long for the days of post-match shows with Neil, Ben Johnno, Paul Senior, Gutmann, Adam Melia etc. That triumphant or cathartic energy just isn't there anymore.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28914 on: February 14, 2024, 01:34:36 pm »

They have two post match shows, usually totalling around 45-minutes to an hour of content.

You then have the review as well as either the Monday show or a Midweek Xtra if we play midweek, which mostly discuss the most recent match.

At the end of the day the shows in the immediate aftermath of the game reflect the way that the people hosting them are feeling, that means you'll sometimes get the best, or the worst of them. That Arsenal game was a shit performance, a shit result and quite a deflating afternoon, the way that they were on the Post-Match Pint just reflected how I felt, which is probably why I didn't even watch it until the following morning as I guess I 'didn't want to be there' either.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28915 on: February 14, 2024, 08:56:38 pm »

There has been quite a lot of comment about what post match commentary is provided.

What exactly is it you think they are lacking? Frankly I think the available subscriber content is as much as anyone could expect.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #28916 on: February 15, 2024, 04:35:12 pm »
Hiya,
TAW Subscriber survey if you've got a spare 10 mins to fill out! https://thewrap.typeform.com/to/NlLK82Vn?mc_cid=ea2628fbfa&mc_eid=9f6645026d

As ever we value everyone's feedback, we have always tried to centre our decision making around what our subscribers want from us and this gives us data and insight to help our decisions going forward. Ta!

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28917 on: February 15, 2024, 06:34:04 pm »
Done.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28918 on: February 15, 2024, 09:24:07 pm »
Hiya,
TAW Subscriber survey if you've got a spare 10 mins to fill out! https://thewrap.typeform.com/to/NlLK82Vn?mc_cid=ea2628fbfa&mc_eid=9f6645026d

As ever we value everyone's feedback, we have always tried to centre our decision making around what our subscribers ;D want from us and this gives us data and insight to help our decisions going forward. Ta!

Done.

To be clear in the vast majority of cases where I’ve given a lower score for certain shows it’s generally because it’s not to my taste rather than because I don’t think it’s well done - for example I struggle with listening to much rival fan stuff probably just because I’m a bit tribalistic, so I tend to avoid those shows and on that basis I’ve given it a 3 as I don’t listen to it enough to give it anything higher (or lower).

Gave the Friday night a 5 as it’s great but if I’d done it after watching this weeks with Neil eluding to the League Cup Final not being a big game I’d have dropped it by at least one point. :lmao

Online mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #28919 on: February 15, 2024, 09:50:19 pm »
Done, glad to see you’re asking opinions.

Similar to the reply above, could’ve done with a “not arsed” button on the questions about the shows, I skip the ones about other teams - nothing to do with the quality, I just don’t care about anyone other than Liverpool.

My biggest feedback is I miss a lot of the old lads, and the shows that touched on local life. I still miss The Rider, but I get that things had to change to attract a worldwide fanbase. Everything feels a lot more professional these days.