Author Topic: You'll Never Walk Alone. May 11th 1985.  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
You'll Never Walk Alone. May 11th 1985.
« on: May 11, 2004, 10:28:27 pm »
We thought it was appropriate to post this article from The City Gent, the Bradford City website:

Chris Armstrong writes:  It seems unbelivable that tomorrow will be the 19th anniversary of a tragedy that all City fans will never forget. I was only 6 in 1985 and wasn't in the Main Stand that day, so I have reproduced David Markham's poignant article here as he was in the press box in the stand. God bless the 56.

Every May 11, people gather in Bradford's Centenary Square to remember the 56 people who died in the Valley Parade fire disaster.

The short act of memorial takes place as the City Hall clock strikes 11am when prayers are offered and the Lord Mayor and the chairman of Bradford City lead the act of remembrance by laying wreaths.

It's a moving ceremony - all the more moving because of its brevity, simplicity and, above all the poignancy of the silence. Some people are there to lay wreaths or bunches of flowers, pay their respects, exchange memories, share emotions, comfort each other in grief or just stand there in silence with their own thoughts.

For all of us the memories of that fateful day are just as real as they were on the day of the fire 19 years ago. In fact, some of us agreed at this year's memorial that the bond between those who share in the memorial grows stronger as the years go by.

The day, Saturday May 11, 1985 should have been one of the happiest in the club's modern history. City had been presented with the Third Division championship trophy, the culmination of a triumphal season that saw them break away from the shackles of lower division football. Captain Peter Jackson had then led the players on a lap of honour before the final match of the season against Lincoln City on a day when triumph cruelly turned to tragedy.

I was sitting in the press box in the old stand trying to concentrate on an uneventful match when to the left of us a small fire broke out under the wooden benching where rubbish had accumulated.

People stood watching it, but the police were there and there didn't seem to be any imminent danger. Then, the fire started spreading, the referee took the players off the field and those of us in the main stand began to move before a gust of wind blew the flames on to the wood and pitch roof of the stand and the flames spread along the inside of the roof with astonishing speed.

Even now, all those years later I can still feel the burning on the back of my neck and hear the crackling of the wood as I and others made a speedy but orderly exit from the blazing stand to the only safe place to go - to the pitch.

Thank God my two sons, then 13 and 16, who were in different parts of the stand, also made their way to safety. Others were not so fortunate. The stand, which had served City for almost 80 years, was reduced to a tangled mass of metal and charred wood in a matter of minutes as 56 people lost their lives in the blazing inferno.

Many of the dead were the most vulnerable, either the old or the very young, trapped as they tried to escape from the fire. Some of them were lifelong City supporters, who had waited for many years to see their favourites return to the top two divisions for the first time since before the war. Their happy day ended in disaster.

Strange as it may seem now, it wasn't until hours later that we realised just what a great tragedy it was. As we left the fire-ravaged Valley Parade first reports were of 15 dead. It wasn't until well into the evening that the full magnitude of the tragedy unfolded. As well as the 56 dead, hundreds more were injured or burned.

The fire tragedy hung like a pall over the city for months after the disaster. Everyone knew someone who had died, had been injured or had been in the 11,076 crowd on that fateful day.

There were some sad and poignant memorial and funeral services over the ensuing three weeks, players visited hospitals where the injured were recovering while people responded so generously that £4.5million was raised for the disaster fund. Lessons learned from previous disasters meant that payments were made promptly to those who needed them most.

Old wooden stands like the one at Valley Parade were clearly a fire hazard and the inquiry into the disaster by Lord Justice Popplewell produced recommendations for the safety of football grounds.

All clubs with wooden stands were forced to provide exits in case of fire. I remember going to Chesterfield in the early weeks of the following season and seeing exits that had been made from the seats to the old style paddocks. Similar measures were taken at Reading's old Elm Park ground. Nowadays stands are made of non-combustible materials like concrete and steel.

However, it took another football tragedy at Hillsborough four years later before radical measures to improve safety and reduce hooliganism were put in place. Now, all Premiership and First Division clubs are forced to have all-seater stadia following the recommendations of the Taylor report after the Hillsborough disaster.

Sometimes I see reports which talk about so called 'disasters' at football matches. By that they may mean that someone missed a crucial penalty or scored an own goal. Maybe a club has been knocked out of a cup competition or suffered the indignity of relegation. All too often they are described as disasters.

As for me, I have experienced only one disaster at a football match. At Valley Parade.

May the 56 Rest In Peace -  from Liverpool fans all over the world
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:59:48 pm by Rushian »

Online joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: You'll Never Walk Alone. May 11th 1985.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 10:36:16 pm »
RIP

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:57:56 pm »
Remember seeing this on TV - it looked like the gates of hell opening.  It was the speed of the thing that was so terrifying, the stand turned into a furnace in what seemed like seconds.  Terrible tragedy.  RIP those poor people.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:15 pm »
'no-one should go to a football match and not come home'

don't know who orginally said above, but how true

Rest In Peace

You'll Never Walk Alone
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:42 pm »
Agreed, saw this happen on live tv, a dreadfull day on what was a celebration of promotion. Poor sods didn't stand a chance with locked exits and the speed of the fire.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 02:49:02 am »
RIP the 56.

On another note from the article:

[q]"However, it took another football tragedy at Hillsborough four years later before radical measures to improve safety and reduce hooliganism were put in place."[/q]

Seems to me that the implication for the cause of Hillborough was because of hooliganism.  I sincerely hope that the author is educated, especially since we share a common pain.
On April 15th, 89.........What should have been a joyous time...........Ninety six friends, we all shall miss.........And all the Kopites want justice...................JUSTICE!!!

the exile

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 06:16:58 am »
how on earth can you come to that conclusion?
i was at the fire as an imps fan, we lost people too.
and at hillsborough as a neutral.
the operative word is disaster and i'm sure the author,
like me, wasn't thinking of blame.
UTI
craig

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 08:18:38 am »
I came to that conclusion because of the words the author used.  "It took a tragedy like Hillsborough for authorities to come up with measures to reduce hooliganism."  Therefore implying that part of the cause of Hillsborough was due to hooliganism (and the other part due to poor safety conditions, for whatever reason).

Imagine if the author said instead. "It took a tragedy like the Bradford City fire for authorities to come up with measures to reduce hooliganism."  What conclusions would you come to?

While I can share his pain, I cannot presume to know exactly for sure what the author was thinking when he wrote that.  I can only make educated guesses based on what he wrote.
On April 15th, 89.........What should have been a joyous time...........Ninety six friends, we all shall miss.........And all the Kopites want justice...................JUSTICE!!!

Boyjames

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 09:01:15 am »

I'm a Bradford City fan just perusing some of the heartfelt messages posted regarding the darkest day in our history.

I was reading  through this particular thread and (like the guy above) thought that the original post from the City Gent sounded awful.  Everybody knows (especially at BCFC) that the Hillsborough disaster was nothing more than this, to insinuate that hooligansim played any part whatsoever is wrong and please accept my apology for those idiots at the City Gent.

RIP the 56 & 96

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 09:16:56 am »
Certainly no apology needed from you Boyjames, but that was a kind thought and thank you.

I'm afraid that Hillsborough is to the press like catnip is to cats - totally irresistable - and we are well used to foul spin being put on it, and then being dragged into anything and everything vaguely to do with football.

But well said and many thanks for the sentiment.

RIP the 56 & 96.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 10:35:16 am »
As Maggie May said, no apologies are neccesary, and thank you for your heartfelt message.

Unfortunately, there are many out there who still feel that Hillsborough was caused by hooliganism. Stating that, however, one cannot really blame them, as the real fault lies on the untruths....no...damning lies perpetuated by certain media.

We can only hope to educate.

RIP to all who lost their lives.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 11:09:17 am »
ecmdtan - I think you were being very harsh jumping in there - part of the reason that the gates were locked at Bradford and access was so hard to get to the pitch, and similarly fences prevented access to the pitchj at Hillsborough was due to the prevailing atmosphere of hooliganism at games throughout the 70s and 80s. 19th century stadia were turned into death traps in the name of security.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Boyjames

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 11:11:53 am »

Just for the record as well, I still don't and never will purchase The Sun or any of its sister papers.

Boyjames

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 11:15:52 am »
ecmdtan - I think you were being very harsh jumping in there - part of the reason that the gates were locked at Bradford

Please get facts correct before you publish - Granted at Hillborough the fences were there to keep people in, but there were no fences at Bradford, people didn't realise until it was too late how bad the disaster was.  The locked gates at the back were also locked to keep non-ticket holders out on a very busy day at Valley Parade, not to keep people in.

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 11:45:37 am »
For the record, i don't think i was very harsh.  If I misinterpreted the author's statement, then I apologise for jumping to the wrong conclusions.  However, not once did I insult anyone (At least in this occasion) or was inflamatory in anyway.

Granted the subject matter is a very emotional one, but correct me if I am wrong, the aim of The Taylor Report was to improve safety in the stadiums and not to reduce hooliganism.

Anyways, that's all I have to say in this matter.

Offline Wombat

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 12:17:50 pm »
I remember that awful day in Bradford,and can still see a guy walking on to the pitch with his hair and mac on fire.And a policeman chasing after him and throwing a coat over him to put out the flames.A terrible terrible day,may they all Rest in Peace.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 12:20:37 pm »
Remember seeing this on TV myself. What should have been a time for celebration, sadly turned into an awful tradegy.

The memory will always live with me.

RIP the 56.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 06:10:14 pm »
Please get facts correct before you publish - Granted at Hillborough the fences were there to keep people in, but there were no fences at Bradford, people didn't realise until it was too late how bad the disaster was.  The locked gates at the back were also locked to keep non-ticket holders out on a very busy day at Valley Parade, not to keep people in.
Sorry James.

I was trying to explain the overall culture at the time and to say that the fences were only there at Hillsborough as I watched Bradford unfold live on TV and I was more than aware the stand didn't have fences. Access to the pitch at old stadia though was far more difficult than in modern stadia even in non-fenced stands. Certainly no intent to suggest the gates were locked because of hooliganism.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 08:56:26 pm »
However, it took another football tragedy at Hillsborough four years later before radical measures to improve safety and reduce hooliganism were put in place. Now, all Premiership and First Division clubs are forced to have all-seater stadia following the recommendations of the Taylor report after the Hillsborough disaster.

Would like to defend the City Gent and Bradford fans in general here.  I post fairly regularly on their forums and ALWAYS receive a sympathetic hearing when discussing the HJC and the boycott of the S*n. 

I think the release of YNWA at the time provided a bond between the people at both clubs.  I remember the City fans coming on to the pitch on the day they beat us to stay in the Premier League - a good group of them came to the away end to sing YNWA to the Liverpool fans who soon responded - it was a great moment (despite the result!).

Must admit though, I read the highlighted paragraph a couple of times before posting it - and although it may be up for interpretation, I felt happy that the authors intent was clear.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 09:02:45 pm by Emsy »