Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 625993 times)

Online Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3920 on: April 4, 2021, 11:19:02 am »
This is the building at the very top of the picture.

Googlemap 3D to the rescue.  It's hard to get the exact position as the Anglican blocks the shot, so I've approximated with the little mausoleum in top left.

Incidentally for anybody who doesn't know, that little mausoleum is a dumping ground for orphaned statues from buildings in the city that have been demolished.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3921 on: April 4, 2021, 11:46:23 am »
I stand corrcted. It is the quarry on Upper Duke St, The Cathederal under construction.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3922 on: April 9, 2021, 10:31:44 am »
late 70s, Terry Mc's chip and some little punks been to Probe/Erics and the Teardrops too

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MB66QxRIR8k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MB66QxRIR8k</a>

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3923 on: April 10, 2021, 11:48:46 am »
late 70s, Terry Mc's chip and some little punks been to Probe/Erics and the Teardrops too

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MB66QxRIR8k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MB66QxRIR8k</a>

Where'd you find that mate?

One of the tenement flats you can see at 1-45 is the actual one where I grew up as a kid. I reckon the view is along Watkinson Street.

And that beautiful building in  the first 20 seconds or so is the David Lewis Centre [known locally as the Davy Lew]. Absolute architectural masterpiece on a scale that makes the Florrie look like a garden shed. But its all much nicer now - there's a lovely big traffic intersection there instead.

Boss video mate.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3924 on: April 10, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »

One of the tenement flats you can see at 1-45 is the actual one where I grew up as a kid. I reckon the view is along Watkinson Street.

And that beautiful building in  the first 20 seconds or so is the David Lewis Centre [known locally as the Davy Lew]. Absolute architectural masterpiece on a scale that makes the Florrie look like a garden shed. But its all much nicer now - there's a lovely big traffic intersection there instead.

Boss video mate.

Just one Youtube recommended after I went down a La's rabbit hole last night. Julian Cope impressing us all with his French accent.

Yes what an edifice that is, was there a football pitch / cage on the roof?
What's the tenement? Was it on Park Lane, I thought it might be Kent Gardens?

here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB66QxRIR8k&t=7s

Online Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3925 on: April 10, 2021, 06:04:42 pm »

Boss video mate.

:(

Just checked Rob's post from a couple of pages back.  Seems it sat right in the middle of the junction where Great George Street meets Parliament Street.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3926 on: April 10, 2021, 06:10:50 pm »
Cheers mate.

It was St James’ Gardens, which stood on the corner of Park Lane and Nelson St. Theres a Chinese supermarket on the site now (Nelson St is the street that runs up to the arch in the middle of Chinatown).

Kenty was nearby but was a much bigger block than ours. It was near Park Lane too, but was much nearer to town- within about 150 yards of the current site of the John Lewis car park.

Not sure if the Davy Lew had a pitch on the roof, but about 100 yards further up towards the cathedral was a youth club called The Yorky which definitely did. Spent many happy hours up there playing footy fifty foot above street level in a safety cage that only had about six large holes in it😁

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3927 on: April 10, 2021, 10:48:20 pm »
This video was on Twitter a few months back and the lad in the top hat was tagged into it a late 50odd year old man now 😀

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #3928 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:10 am »
This video was on Twitter a few months back and the lad in the top hat was tagged into it a late 50odd year old man now 😀

Hopefully still sporting that top hat!
We are Liverpool!

Online Red Berry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3929 on: April 14, 2021, 09:41:00 am »

My parents would never have allowed me to go that far with (what passed for) my mates when I was that age. He only looks about 10. ;D

Granted, there were a lot of tower blocks and residential areas on the outskirts of the city back then.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:42:57 am by Red Berry »

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art