Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 460616 times)

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #9000 on: April 7, 2024, 06:56:04 pm »
Strange show, the first night last year was a lot better that's for sure. Something was definitely off with the crowd, looked like there wasn't many seats on the floor this time which might have contributed to the house show feel, lighting was definitely poor too. Might be nit-picking too but the rampant advertisements basically being part of the matches  ::)

I only tend to tune in for Mania nowawdays, and I say it every year but all the stuff with Roman is just so boring to the casual viewer, I know he only turns up once every few months but if you've watched this full time for years I just can't see how it's been so popular, the whole story line with him and the Uso brothers (Their match was terrible too by the way). It's crazy when you look at the big stars they've had at the main event level in the past and now it's just him up against someone entirely underwhelming like Cody Rhodes who was a midcarder for much of his career. And I seem to remember in recent years it's always been him and Brock Lesnar who also turns up a few times over the year. He must have main evented this more times than Hogan did now, it's crazy. Twice in a year this time too!

The two night stuff does my head in too, it's obviously just a lot of extra money though.

Right from the opening, when they said it was a sell out, you could clearly see empty seats in the upper tiers. Those front rows as well, full of the most unenergetic middle aged fans imaginable. They must have forked out +$1000 for those seats and they all looked completely unimpressed. One issue is the volume of wrestling that they have over the weekend. Both preshows and main shows over 2 nights add up to +10 hours of wrestling. There are clear drops in quality in both nights (more so in Night 1 imo) so there's got to be a lot of saving yourself for those special matches.

I thought the Uso's match was the weakest of the night but I do appreciate how they tried to offer something different, focusing on the story more than the technical wrestling. The main event was really flat for the first half, I don't feel it was wise having Roman and Cody go at it for so long, their match this evening feels a bit more stale. How many more Superman Punches, Spears, Cody Cutters and Cross Rhodes do we need to see?

The long run time, and having it over 2 nights just gives a chance for the worst aspects of modern WWE to be laid bare. It's not all bad though, NXT put on their best show in years on Friday.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2024, 06:57:44 pm by damomad »
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9001 on: April 7, 2024, 07:35:14 pm »
Apparently it was really cold in Philly, which I imagine would wreak havoc on the crowd in a stadium show.

Yeah two nights needs proper binning

They were quite hesitant at first. Was just a COVID thing. I think there’s pluses and minuses. Positive is that more wrestlers get on the card and matches get time to breathe. Everyone moaned pre COVID at how long Mania had become, so this is definitely preferable IMO. At the same time, you can be left with too much fodder and there’s an argument that it can be too indulgent.

A really tight card with say Roman/Cody, Seth/Drew, Gunther/Sami, Logan/KO/Orton, Rhea/Becky, Iyp/Bayley and the Six Man could have been great. What they’ve leaned into for the first time though is the Night 1 cliffhanger with the finish to the tag match. That adds a little spice to it being two days IMO, previously it’s just been two very distinct cards with no crossover between the two nights really.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #9002 on: April 7, 2024, 07:36:01 pm »
I was calling for 2 nights about 5? Years ago when the show was hitting like 7 hours. I don't mind it at all, not sure you should have people doing double duty though, but if you have 2 "brands" as well as more and more female action I think it can work. I'd be tempted to have one night as the smackdown mania and the other Raw.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9003 on: April 7, 2024, 07:38:02 pm »
Understand the points raised. Just feel it cheapens the spectacle somewhat.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9004 on: April 7, 2024, 08:13:49 pm »
Apparently it was really cold in Philly

Really? I wish Michael Cole had let us know  :P

Women's title match was alright.

The 6 pack match was good fun. Suprised that was R-Truth's first WM win. I know he's never been one of the Top Guys, but he has been around a long time.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Usos match. The jokes about it being a match of just kicks weren't much of an exagerration!
And I wasn't really sold on the intensity/emotional aspect.

Main Event was good overall, but as others have said you could easily have taken 10 minutes off it - don't think it needed to start quite so slowly (especially when they just stared each other down in the ring for what was close to two minutes).

Haven't watched the women's tag and IC matches yet, decided to skip ahead to the Main Event and circle back afterwards.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9005 on: April 8, 2024, 03:46:49 am »
The new era in WWE, featuring young upcoming stars such as The Rock, Undertaker and John Cena, lol
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9006 on: April 8, 2024, 04:30:31 am »
That was great. Overbooked in all the right ways. Forgot about yesterday's result for a bit  :P

Strong Night 2. Super storytelling in the opener.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #9007 on: April 8, 2024, 05:04:30 am »
Thoroughly sports entertained

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9008 on: April 8, 2024, 06:02:46 am »
The new era in WWE, featuring young upcoming stars such as The Rock, Undertaker and John Cena, lol
[/quote

Thought it was fantastic myself, the right blend of nostalgia and new blood.

New face of the company Cody Priest, McIntyre (all be it temporary), Bayley, LA Knight all getting WrestleMania moments and the likes of R Truth and Miz getting their flowers too.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9009 on: April 8, 2024, 08:06:54 am »
Very strong night 2. Strong story telling and the right payoff (even if it was an overbooked mess)

Think it has proven one thing. Steve Austin will never get back in the ring again. If there was ever going to be a moment, it was when The Rock was in the ring having taken out Cena.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #9010 on: April 8, 2024, 08:13:50 am »
Yeah, that was a spot glaringly designed for one man only. I actually thought it was going to be even more overbooked somehow, with all those previous Bloodline screws coming down to the ring in some capacity. Owens, Knight, Orton, Logan Paul, Styles, McIntyre, just a mass locker room brawl.
AHA!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9011 on: April 8, 2024, 08:13:59 am »
Very strong night 2. Strong story telling and the right payoff (even if it was an overbooked mess)

Think it has proven one thing. Steve Austin will never get back in the ring again. If there was ever going to be a moment, it was when The Rock was in the ring having taken out Cena.

He’s said he’s willing to for the right thing. Shame it didn’t line up last night, the glass shattering would have been a better moment than the gong, although that was cool too. Taker’s chokeslam looked awful compared to Priest’s on McIntyre! Speaking of, loved that end. McIntyre getting the win and then the obsession with Punk immediately costing him.

I actually thought the interference in the main event would have been even wilder. I was expecting random members of Roman’s family to come in, not just Jimmy, Solo and Rock. Still, great sports entertainment. Especially Roman choosing revenge over Seth instead of attacking Cody, ultimately costing him the title. They’ve become really good at those little layers of storyline that add so much to the overall narrative. 

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9012 on: April 8, 2024, 08:44:23 am »
I think that Takers spot was meant to be Brock

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #9013 on: April 8, 2024, 08:56:14 am »
The pop when the gong hit though was the loudest I've heard in a long time

But agreed it would've somehow been louder if there was glass shattering instead
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9014 on: April 8, 2024, 09:20:03 am »
The pop when the gong hit though was the loudest I've heard in a long time

But agreed it would've somehow been louder if there was glass shattering instead

Austin definitely would have made more sense, as Rock's greatest rival. Rock and Taker had their moments but don't remember it ever being a great rivalry. Definitely should have gone for a Tombstone because the chokeslam was rough!

Anyway, I was pleased that the finish wasn't Rock screwing Roman. I'm assuming they still do Rock/Roman at Mania next year, so curious if that set up starts this week. Maybe with the title lost, Rock decimates Roman and takes his spot at the head of the table... then you can do Rock/Cody at Summerslam, maybe with Roman returning there to cost Rock.

Also thought the entrances for both Roman and Cody were absolutely sick. WWE has plenty of flaws but when it gets the presentation right, it's incredible. Saw that Triple H has been giving a lot of credit to their new head of production, you can see how much things have improved in the last few months. Was also pleased to see Brandi come out with Cody.

As for Cody's first feud, not sure if they'll try to keep him tied up with the Bloodline stuff or have a clean break. I could see Cody/Gunther being a good programme, but not sure the best step for Gunther is losing a feud like that.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 09:37:49 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9015 on: April 8, 2024, 11:54:08 am »
Only watched night 2 and was great. Thoroughly enjoyed Punk costing Drew his title and Cena/Taker run out.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9016 on: April 8, 2024, 12:27:11 pm »
After the match backstage Nick Kahn, Bruce Pritchard and HHH presented Cody with the same watch (or most likely the same make of watch) that Dusty had pawned years ago so Cody and his sister could go to acting school which was a nice touch.

Paul Heyman's HoF induction video package and speech was really good as well.

Online courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #9017 on: April 8, 2024, 12:28:32 pm »
Shame it wasn't Austin, but still great to have Taker.

Would love to know the story about why Austin said no, if he was indeed offered

Will have to wait til like 2030 for Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9018 on: April 8, 2024, 12:40:35 pm »
Was definitely expecting the glass to shatter after the Rock Bottom, kinda disappointed it was Taker instead but that main event has so many mark out moments.

Also when the Shield music hit I was thinking Ambrose was gonna come out too haha, don't keep up with AEW so no idea what his situation is.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9019 on: April 8, 2024, 12:41:08 pm »
Great night 2. Thought the main was excellent, could have used Austin but oh well. The opener was a cracking match in about 11 minutes, made Drew look like a killer and he has options now. Priest looks the part as champion and the natural story is there.

Some great stuff.

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9020 on: April 8, 2024, 12:54:44 pm »
Sets it up nicely for Drew to get the title back at the Hydro in June.

Good luck getting him to the Smackdown show though, as I'm sure he'll be watching the Scotland game in a pub somewhere. :D

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9021 on: April 8, 2024, 12:55:45 pm »
Can't think of any big surprises that could happen on the Raw after Mania. Used to always be guaranteed some big NXT call-ups, but Bron is already on the main roster while Carmelo and Trick have already had some appearances, IIRC.

Sheamus is probably the only decent return they could do, can't think of anyone else major who has been on the shelf.

And in terms of free agents... Jacob Fatu has apparently signed, so he may debut as part of the Bloodline fallout? I could see Rock setting up a 'New Bloodline', maybe with Fatu and Tama Tonga.

The biggest surprise would be MJF but I'd imagine it'd be well known if his contract at AEW had actually lapsed. Personally think WWE would be the right move for him though, he feels a better fit there and the top level of AEW is even more crowded now with the addition of Ospreay and Okada.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9022 on: April 8, 2024, 01:10:28 pm »
In the pre match promo they acknowledged his time at AEW showing photos of him with the Bucks, Omega and Jericho which was a nice little touch.

Priest's chokeslam was incredible getting such air on a guy as big as Drew.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9023 on: April 8, 2024, 01:22:48 pm »
Was definitely expecting the glass to shatter after the Rock Bottom, kinda disappointed it was Taker instead but that main event has so many mark out moments.

Also when the Shield music hit I was thinking Ambrose was gonna come out too haha, don't keep up with AEW so no idea what his situation is.

Moxley is maybe winning the IWGP World Title on Friday, I think he probably should win it

I also very much doubt he returns to WWE, I don't think he likes the people in charge very much. If he ever falls out with AEW he is more likely to do shit in Japan or Mexico, or just retire. Unlike most wrestlers he has apparently saved well

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9024 on: April 8, 2024, 02:13:26 pm »
That was great. Overbooked in all the right ways. Forgot about yesterday's result for a bit  :P

Strong Night 2. Super storytelling in the opener.

There are times when you have to do exactly what everyone is expecting, and this was one of them.
Had a massive grin on my face watching the ending. It was over the top and you more-or-less knew what was going to happen, but still massively entertaining.

Anyway, I was pleased that the finish wasn't Rock screwing Roman. I'm assuming they still do Rock/Roman at Mania next year, so curious if that set up starts this week. Maybe with the title lost, Rock decimates Roman and takes his spot at the head of the table... then you can do Rock/Cody at Summerslam, maybe with Roman returning there to cost Rock.

They've definitely started laying the foundations for a split in the bloodline. Roman spearing Rock on Saturday, Solo having to urge Roman to get back up, and Roman going after Seth instead of Cody.
Like you, I expect Roman-Rock to be next WM (and probably Rock's last match?). I guess how they handle the rest of the year will depend a lot on the Rock's filming schedule. 

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9025 on: April 8, 2024, 02:23:02 pm »
Echo the Austin shouts, Taker seemed out of place. I would've also loved it to be HHH, but with his heart issues he's happy staying in Gorilla

I also stupidly thought of Moxley when the Shield music hit, Rollins had a rough night haha.

Not sure what Cody's first feud would be, maybe Finn? There's some history there too.

Also loved how Rock sold the spear.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9026 on: April 8, 2024, 02:32:56 pm »
AJ Styles?  Orton?

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9027 on: April 8, 2024, 02:44:56 pm »
kinda disappointed it was Taker
Kinda disappointed he was dressed as a bellend. Hat and coat would've been iconic.

Other than that, I can see why Austin turned it down as he's the kind of guy to say it's Cody's moment and wouldn't want to take any shine away.

Besides, they need to save him for Rock v Roman next year ; )
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 02:47:12 pm by wampa1 »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9028 on: April 8, 2024, 02:50:52 pm »

They've definitely started laying the foundations for a split in the bloodline. Roman spearing Rock on Saturday, Solo having to urge Roman to get back up, and Roman going after Seth instead of Cody.
Like you, I expect Roman-Rock to be next WM (and probably Rock's last match?). I guess how they handle the rest of the year will depend a lot on the Rock's filming schedule.

Think Rock is heading to film his next movie in the next few weeks, so I imagine he disappears until Summerslam. Although now he's on the Board, he might be happy to make the odd appearance over summer.

That's why I think he'll set up a bit of a parallel Bloodline (Bloodline Wolfpac, if you will) - keep things ticking over even when Rock and Roman aren't there.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9029 on: April 8, 2024, 02:57:30 pm »
Cody v Roman was brilliant, really enjoyed it, great adrenaline rush at the end. Taker showing up caught me off guard!

Offline TeddyMc

• Boys Pen
« Reply #9030 on: April 8, 2024, 03:00:44 pm »
The Final Boss who was been monstering WWE for the last few weeks was taken out by a choke slam from a broken down 60 year old Undertaker. That's not very Final Boss.

Fun main event and Cody gets his moment but not sure how long he will last now on top not having to chase the title. The Bloodline look like they will be there own show story to finish between themselves so is Cody going to try and build some new stars and give newer talent the rub or just fued with the likes of Orton who doesn't need the rub.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9031 on: April 8, 2024, 03:05:04 pm »
Echo the Austin shouts, Taker seemed out of place. I would've also loved it to be HHH, but with his heart issues he's happy staying in Gorilla

I also stupidly thought of Moxley when the Shield music hit, Rollins had a rough night haha.

Not sure what Cody's first feud would be, maybe Finn? There's some history there too.

Also loved how Rock sold the spear.

When The Bloodline angle started i felt the match was tailor made for Dean Ambrose to be the one who gets Roman. It worked out better this way. Mox is doing what he likes to do.

You'd have blown me over with a feather if you'd told me it would be Cody, and yet it worked.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9032 on: April 8, 2024, 03:26:34 pm »
AJ Styles?  Orton?

Both lost last night so would be pretty silly imo.

Not sure who is next but yeah maybe Finn. Eventually you have to get to Gunther for the Berlin show I feel

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9033 on: April 8, 2024, 03:37:59 pm »
Both lost last night so would be pretty silly imo.

Not sure who is next but yeah maybe Finn. Eventually you have to get to Gunther for the Berlin show I feel

Finn lost too though. I think Orton is the type who can take as many losses as necessary without losing credibility. Plus him and Cody has an in-built story to it. I also think as a new champ, the first feud is a bit of a gimme for Cody - nobody thinks he'll lose the belt in the first feud. So Orton is a good fit for that.

With Priest on Raw, I guess Cody heads to Smackdown in the short term which makes Orton likelier. They're doing a draft next month which will shake things up.

Once you take out the part timers, I don't think there's as much strength in the main event scene as they'd want. Cody, Rollins, Punk (when he's back) and now Drew are probably the main ones. Then there's a bunch that can fluctuate between the main event and the upper midcard - Orton, Zayn, Owens, Logan Paul, Jey, Balor etc.

Think if I was Hunter I'd be strapping a rocket to Bron Breakker, freshen things up a bit.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9034 on: April 8, 2024, 03:38:23 pm »
Think the plan was for anyone with history against the bloodline to appear and try and take them down, but with Brock Lesnar's absence they had to stick someone else in. Reckon Stone Cold turned it down and they asked Undertaker, who let's be honest, doesn't turn anything down.

Brock's year long battle with Roman/bloodline and then taking a clean loss against Cody followed by the handshake would have made perfect sense for him to take the Rock down. Would be a hell of a lot more believable getting an F5 rather than choke slammed by a retired 60 year old.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 03:40:08 pm by amir87 »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9035 on: April 8, 2024, 03:41:01 pm »
Think the plan was for anyone with history against the bloodline to appear and try and take them down, but with Brock Lesnar's absence they had to stick someone else in. Reckon Stone Cold turned it down and they asked Undertaker, who let's be honest, doesn't turn anything down.

Brock's year long battle with Roman/bloodline and then taking a clean loss against Cody followed by the handshake would have made perfect sense for him to take the Rock down. Would be a hell of a lot more believable to then retired 60 year old.

Maybe, but if Brock was available he'd have been on the card (against Gunther) so probably wouldn't have been as impactful for him to interfere in contrast to the shock value of Cena or Taker. Agree it would have made more sense than Taker given his history with Roman though.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9036 on: April 8, 2024, 04:43:15 pm »
Roman going to return at Summerslam as a tweener to set up next WrestleMania with The Rock. It's clear as day.  ;D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #9037 on: April 8, 2024, 04:44:52 pm »
Should have been Rikishi
:D

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9038 on: April 8, 2024, 05:04:57 pm »
Roman going to return at Summerslam as a tweener to set up next WrestleMania with The Rock. It's clear as day.  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9039 on: April 8, 2024, 05:05:15 pm »
I did if for The Rock