Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 50798 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Football commentator/pundits
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2024, 02:45:29 pm »
I've been impressed with Sturridge as a pundit. Articulate and impartial, irregardless of who he played for.

Me too. He's quite good as putting you into the mind of a striker when explaining that side of the game.  I always thought Michael Owen was brilliant at that too

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2024, 03:27:48 pm »
What did people think alan green? Thought he was excellent on 5 live. Broadcast the game so well.

Couldn't stand him.

Liverpool would be playing and he'd waffle on for 15 minutes and not even mention the game. I'd be thinking what the fuck is going on?

How can you commentate on the radio then miss off about an hour of a 90 minute game talking about shite?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2024, 10:03:14 pm »
Ian Wright absolutely loves us, 'I remember scoring at the Kop end and it was special for me so what must it have been like for Danns growing up here'.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2024, 10:43:03 pm »
Mourinho was the best pundit. He was superb when he did it for sky during our title winning season for about 4 months before he took the spurs job. Levels above Souness, Keane, Neville, Carragher etc.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2024, 10:43:46 pm »
Ian Wright absolutely loves us, 'I remember scoring at the Kop end and it was special for me so what must it have been like for Danns growing up here'.

Shame he's packing it in at the end of the season, he's good to listen to. Just means more air time for the morons we don't want to see more of

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #485 on: February 28, 2024, 10:46:46 pm »
Mourinho was the best pundit. He was superb when he did it for sky during our title winning season for about 4 months before he took the spurs job. Levels above Souness, Keane, Neville, Carragher etc.

But he never 'played the game'  ::)

Ultimately the best minds in football go into management/coaching and succeed, therefore when they take their hand to it, they make the best pundits. The average ones fail or don't even try (Neville/Carragher/Ferdinand/Redknapp et al).

Keane and Souness ultimately were failed managers as well. Once you've been out the game 10 years (if not less) you lose touch but these pundits are kept on way too long.

Wrighty is great because he's enthusastic and a great lad, there's no hidden agenda.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: February 28, 2024, 10:53:18 pm »

Aye he was. He was a totally different person to the shameful person you see on the touchline. I remember his having a dig at Oleh and his defending set pieces with how he set up the defensive walls.
Mourinho was good, but if Klopp ever goes down than route, he will blow everyone else out of the water completely

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #487 on: February 28, 2024, 11:57:59 pm »
Aye he was. He was a totally different person to the shameful person you see on the touchline. I remember his having a dig at Oleh and his defending set pieces with how he set up the defensive walls.
Mourinho was good, but if Klopp ever goes down than route, he will blow everyone else out of the water completely

Klopp did a fair bit of commentary in the mid 2000's around the 2006 World Cup...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: February 29, 2024, 10:26:01 am »
Klopp did a fair bit of commentary in the mid 2000's around the 2006 World Cup...

If the BBC have any sense, they'd have him as a pundit for the Euros in the summer.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #489 on: February 29, 2024, 10:41:03 am »
Can't believe Ali McCoist when talking about Konate said "you'd love that big man inside of you Sam" during the game.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #490 on: February 29, 2024, 10:42:33 am »
If the BBC have any sense, they'd have him as a pundit for the Euros in the summer.

I feel like Klopp would tell them to do one and do some German media instead
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #491 on: February 29, 2024, 11:27:31 am »
Can't believe Ali McCoist when talking about Konate said "you'd love that big man inside of you Sam" during the game.

McCoist was getting a little too excited about Konate in general.  He was really close to proposing to him by the end of the game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 29, 2024, 12:08:52 pm »

He appeared on Monday night football once and bossed it.

I remember Eddie Howe being on Neville was critical of a team and how they set up during an attacking corner.....Howe explained why and ruined him which is nothing new as he makes a tw*t of himself on BBC as well as Sky.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #493 on: February 29, 2024, 12:58:30 pm »
McCoist was getting a little too excited about Konate in general.  He was really close to proposing to him by the end of the game.

I was too on Sunday.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #494 on: February 29, 2024, 02:45:19 pm »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #495 on: February 29, 2024, 03:50:42 pm »
Shame he's packing it in at the end of the season, he's good to listen to. Just means more air time for the morons we don't want to see more of

I wonder if he's moving across to Sky you know.

He obviousy does the Overlap stuff with the Sky lads and Jill Scott (who isn't on Sky I believe), so I wonder if they haved moved for him.

He has that whole bromance thing with Keane going on which is 100 times more genuine than that fake Micah Richards/Keane thing that Keane clearly despised.

Also, they seem to be phasing Richards out don't they? He doesn't seem to do as many of the high profile games now. Seems relegated to life with Jamie Redknapp.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: February 29, 2024, 04:50:48 pm »

He obviousy does the Overlap stuff with the Sky lads and Jill Scott (who isn't on Sky I believe), so I wonder if they haved moved for him.

He has that whole bromance thing with Keane going on which is 100 times more genuine than that fake Micah Richards/Keane thing that Keane clearly despised.

Also, they seem to be phasing Richards out don't they? He doesn't seem to do as many of the high profile games now. Seems relegated to life with Jamie Redknapp.

Didnt Wright quit Match of the Day citing his age and wanting to spend more time away with family? Maybe with Match of the Day filmed in Salford its difficult for him as I presume he lives in London.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #497 on: February 29, 2024, 04:58:42 pm »
Didnt Wright quit Match of the Day citing his age and wanting to spend more time away with family? Maybe with Match of the Day filmed in Salford its difficult for him as I presume he lives in London.
I can see him getting some kind of chat show in the future.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 29, 2024, 05:41:35 pm »
I can see him getting some kind of chat show in the future.

Yep. The Wright Stuff.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 29, 2024, 05:45:53 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #500 on: February 29, 2024, 05:46:19 pm »
Yep. The Wright Stuff.

As long as the prank callers come with him.

Big fat c*nt.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 29, 2024, 05:52:13 pm »
Friday Night's All Wright
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #502 on: February 29, 2024, 06:09:31 pm »
Friday Night's All Wright

Friday Night Wrights, with Shaun, Bradley and Brett
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 29, 2024, 06:23:22 pm »
Friday Night Wrights, with Shaun, Bradley and Brett

They could maybe get this guy back.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #504 on: February 29, 2024, 07:11:53 pm »
Idea for an Ian Wright vehicle...

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 29, 2024, 07:14:06 pm »
On The Wright Side

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: March 1, 2024, 08:49:55 am »
Just seen a clip from The Overlap from probably January. Neville is moaning that they turned up at Anfield for Sky, Carra just breezes in without showing his pass, Neville says they know who he is, but they still asked him for his pass, so he's moaning you've not asked to see his pass, why you asking to see mine? 

Wrighty goes "But Gary, you cannot give it the big one"

"I didn't give it the big one"

"You did because you didn't show your pass,"

"But he doesn't have to show his pass but I do?"

"Yeah its Anfield, its Jamie Carragher, you're Man United, they could do that just to wind you up.it worked as well by the looks of things"

Neville sits there with a cob on :lmao
Jurgen YNWA

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: March 1, 2024, 06:51:38 pm »
Thought this was a good piece. I don't agree that Neville and Carragher are particularly great pundits but the below was spot on:

Yet the influence of Neville and Carragher also speaks to a wider shift regarding the role of the pundit. Gone are the days when they merely commented on the football in front of them; now, in this era of broadcasters needing to engage with audiences who increasingly absorb content online and on mobile via short-form videos and snappy soundbites, they are required to be part of the entertainment as much as observers of it. It’s all about the clicks mate, and nothing is more clickable than a former footballer saying something that sparks heated debate as well as emotions while sitting in a chair quite close to David Jones, Mark Pougatch or Laura Woods. Hence why Roy Keane gets so much work despite being objectively terrible at his job.

We live in The Age of the Pundit – there are lots of them and they all have a lot to say – and no two rule the roost quite like Neville and Carragher, initially through their natural, instinctive excellence and now through their awareness of how to market that to the absolute maximum. So they say sparky things on Sky which they know will get picked up by the press and public alike – Neville has essentially admitted his “blue billion-pound ­bottle jobs” line was planned – and increasingly use that as a platform from which to boost their profile and value via other outlets. And boy, are there other outlets. The Overlap, Stick to Football, a national newspaper column and regular, endless social media posts. You may well have also seen Neville and Carragher stacking shelves in your local supermarket, pulling pints in your local pub and haunting your daily nightmares. Pretty sure I have.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/01/neville-and-carrragher-furore-confirms-their-status-as-pundits-like-no-other
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #508 on: March 1, 2024, 08:22:34 pm »
Thought this was a good piece. I don't agree that Neville and Carragher are particularly great pundits but the below was spot on:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/01/neville-and-carrragher-furore-confirms-their-status-as-pundits-like-no-other

Interesting - they’re also asking people for their views on this at the end of the article so … fill yer boots!  :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: March 2, 2024, 04:58:25 pm »
Fucking McManaman.

Forest players goes down after Dom touches him on the shoulder "clever play"
Van Dijk nudges a player "clear push"
Gomez has a pull on an attacker "got away with it"

But:
Danns is dragged to the ground "looking for it"

Makes me laugh when fans of other clubs think he's biased in favour of Liverpool

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: March 3, 2024, 09:08:06 pm »
I haven't watched Abu Dhabi FC for a long time but was visiting my Son earlier and he had their match on.
Can anyone tell me why Gary Neville sounded so happy to gush over the cheats and yet when he co commentates us, he sounds like he wants to die when we score?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #511 on: March 3, 2024, 09:10:46 pm »
Fucking McManaman.

Forest players goes down after Dom touches him on the shoulder "clever play"
Van Dijk nudges a player "clear push"
Gomez has a pull on an attacker "got away with it"

But:
Danns is dragged to the ground "looking for it"

Makes me laugh when fans of other clubs think he's biased in favour of Liverpool

Rat
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 3, 2024, 09:13:50 pm »
I haven't watched Abu Dhabi FC for a long time but was visiting my Son earlier and he had their match on.
Can anyone tell me why Gary Neville sounded so happy to gush over the cheats and yet when he co commentates us, he sounds like he wants to die when we score?

He will die if we get 20 titles. Like all Mancs, fucking obsessed with us and us not winning more titles than them.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 3, 2024, 11:19:50 pm »

His grandkids are in the US I think.

You'll probably see him pop up on US coverage of the Premier League.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 4, 2024, 01:18:16 am »
 ;D

Troy Deeney reckons Phil Foden plays with the same freedom as Ronaldinho.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #515 on: March 4, 2024, 01:25:39 pm »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: March 4, 2024, 02:36:21 pm »
scrolling through the bbc site this morning, you'd think the MC-MU game is the only one that happened this weekend. page after fucking page of it.  and half of that is repeating and discussing the bald bastard's claim that Foden is the best player in the PL.  ffs he's 8th top scorer, and 12th in goals per 90, according to their own stats.

so, move on to the Guardian's Ten Talking Points from the weekend.
two of the 10 were about the MC-MU game.
one was about Chelsea fans being pissed off. 
one was Eze being back from injury.
the only mention of us is a piece about Clattenburg.
we are top of the league, right?  scored a remarkably exciting late-late-late goal, right?

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #517 on: March 4, 2024, 03:42:32 pm »

This can't come soon enough for me , fucking big buffoon
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: March 5, 2024, 11:17:10 am »

I was just thinking about this last night, he does the Monday evening on 5 Live with Rory Smith and Chris Sutton. Richards is absolutely dreadful, but its not the just the endless howling, he's just so bad. There was a half hour section last night on the Manc derby and he was clearly desperate to not appear totally biased that he went so far the other way it was really awful work.
On Utd, he said that they were brilliant in that derby, they had a clear game plan that they executed really well.
On Ten Hag, none on his signings can really be questioned. Give him an example then. Anthony says Rory Smith. Anthony was "incredible" at Ajax (I'm sure Richards watches the Dutch league alright).  Every top side in Europe wanted him. Utd were right because you have to buy players who are in form. He says Hojland has been a brilliant signing because he's on fire this season. Course he has
He was though very in depth when talking about us, in particular Nunez. The discussion was how hard he would be to play against, and Rory Smith was excellent in comparing how Nunez plays in comparison to Gakpo (he rates Gakpo by the way so it was a good discussion)
Richards input on Nunez and how to nullify him ?  Nip him

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: March 5, 2024, 11:40:06 am »
I was just thinking about this last night, he does the Monday evening on 5 Live with Rory Smith and Chris Sutton. Richards is absolutely dreadful, but its not the just the endless howling, he's just so bad. There was a half hour section last night on the Manc derby and he was clearly desperate to not appear totally biased that he went so far the other way it was really awful work.
On Utd, he said that they were brilliant in that derby, they had a clear game plan that they executed really well.
On Ten Hag, none on his signings can really be questioned. Give him an example then. Anthony says Rory Smith. Anthony was "incredible" at Ajax (I'm sure Richards watches the Dutch league alright).  Every top side in Europe wanted him. Utd were right because you have to buy players who are in form. He says Hojland has been a brilliant signing because he's on fire this season. Course he has
He was though very in depth when talking about us, in particular Nunez. The discussion was how hard he would be to play against, and Rory Smith was excellent in comparing how Nunez plays in comparison to Gakpo (he rates Gakpo by the way so it was a good discussion)
Richards input on Nunez and how to nullify him ?  Nip him
Richards might say it was injuries (he only really had the one bad injury - the one that kept him out for six months) but that comment is more likely the reason his career stagnated and ultimately burned out very early.  I can't imagine any modern elite level defender answering that question in the same way.

Nunez showed he was susceptible to that when he first joined us with the red card at Palace.  Since then though he's been "nipped" plenty of times and now thrives on it.

Still, if he's advocating for ten Hag and that in any way sways Sir Jim to give him another season in charge at Man U then I'm all for it.