Author Topic: Liverpool 0-0 Spurs: Half time.....  (Read 202790 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Liverpool v Spurs February 6th at 20:00
« Reply #520 on: February 4, 2012, 10:46:26 am »
One song we're bound to hear?
The brilliant slow version of 'When the Spurs'.

cant fuckin stand that contrived as fuck nouveau-anthem..and the gobshite finger waving that accompanies it...

im off for a pie when they start it up
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: February 4, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
Makes me laugh also at those who want kuyt not starting. When will they ever realise!!
Don't mean to pick on your posts, but didn't you just say we should go for it and let Spurs worry about us? Even though it's close, I think Carroll is more of a threat up front, and surely Suarez and Bellamy are from out wide/in free roles? So what's wrong with leaving Kuyt out of the side?

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #522 on: February 4, 2012, 10:49:20 am »
No doubt Adam is more likely than Henderson to play the final ball, like he did against Wolves twice, (Henderson has shown he can do it to, the passes to Bellamy at Wolves, Downing at City, Suarez against Bolton for example, were brilliant), but if you want to pass the ball around, I'd definitely chose Henderson. He passes the ball quicker and more accurate, and is better at setting our tempo.

And like I said in the other post, Spurs will find it harder to impose their passing game on us, with Henderson rather than Adam. No matter how much we'll try and get on top of them, go for it, players like Modric, especially, Parker and Van der Vaart will get on the ball and Adam is, if I'm honest, a liability off the ball. He was last time we met, and I think he could be even more exposed without Lucas in the side. Seems like you disagree with that, and I don't think we'll find common ground on this, which is fair enough.

Whoever plays, will have a a very difficult task today though, as for some reason, both Parker and Modric are usually at their best against us.

If it was a choice between Henderson and Adam I'd go with Henderson, simply because Adam has struggled against teams that press and close him down quickly. Adam can be great when he has that little extra time on the ball but Henderson passing is much quicker and accurate. Think it's more a choice between Gerrard and Adam rather than Henderson and Adam.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #523 on: February 4, 2012, 10:52:12 am »
For me Adam plays. We need to win this game and your safety 1st midfield plays right in to spurs hands.

Who created most of the goals midweek? Adam.

We need to get at spurs and create. I would start Adam instead of Henderson and play Adam were you put henderson. Adam is better in a 3 man cm and will hurt other teams with his passing ability.

Not even convinced I would start luis as he won't be match fit.
Adam

Fordy's "Aquilani" ;D

Anyway, there's a lot of ammunition fired in the boy's direction, including some saying Henderson is better than him. They offer different options to the team. Henderson is a "safer" option who you'd want if you wanted to have more control of the ball in midfield, however- however, you'd have to settle for less attacking threat.

Adam would provide you with less control, but more goals- either scoring himself, providing assists. For all his "woes" and the criticism he has, he scores and dissects(Henderson does that a bit as well, tbf)/stretches the oppo with his passes which is what counts most, in my mind. A flawed matchwinner- like King Luis, the patron saint of "Sangria" connossieurs.

Personally- in this game- I'd prefer Hendo starting and then have Adam come on later in the game when it's more settled and both teams are playing at an even pace. He'll contribute to ripping the piss out of 'em. This obviusly has to be balanced with Kuyt to maintain some kind of control.
I've a good feelin about this game. I don't proclaim that often, but the only time I did- Real at Anfield- we tore them a new one. Hopefully this will at least end in a win for us, which under normal circumstances- we ought to win anyway.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2012, 11:10:14 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #524 on: February 4, 2012, 11:10:01 am »
I'd like to see this:

Bellamy and Suarez are both hard working enough to stifle midfield, making it five in there altogether when needed. I've left Andy out because I don't think this is going to be the kind of game we need him for. He's not a proper back to goal player yet but showing signs, whereas Kuyt can do this and for his limitations he's difficult to dispossess when shielding and holding up play. It's when he tries to beat a man or play an intricate pass it sometimes goes a bit askew.

The game in my opinion is going to be won by the team that harries a mistake from the others defence. Bellamy and Suarez are absolute nightmares in this respect and will also be the two best attacking options against Spurs fullbacks. Provided Gerrard can break from midfield when the time is right as well and he should be able to knock one in.

Think Spearing is a good harrier and the three midfield gives us a decent cover of tenacity, long range and short range passing as well. Bellamy out wide as I trust him more to work his defensive duties against Bale with Johnson and both have some recovery pace.

Offline nevoo36

• Not One Of Us.
  • Kopite
« Reply #525 on: February 4, 2012, 11:31:31 am »
For me it's got to be:

Reina

Johnson          Agger                  Skrtel                  Enrique

Spearing

Gerrard                               Adam

Suarez                          Carroll                       Bellamy

Carroll needs to start, he has some confidence now and his lat two performances against the Filth and Wolves have been the best since he's been here, he's now beginning to show that he can play well without actually putting the ball in the net. That front 3 would cause Spurs all sorts of problems and Gerrard could do a number on Bale.

Going for a 2-1 win, come on the red men keep the momentum going in our push for 4th  :scarf

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #526 on: February 4, 2012, 11:35:06 am »

Kuyt                                        Downing

Carroll

I think that'll be the front three.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #527 on: February 4, 2012, 11:35:10 am »
I'd like to see this:

Bellamy and Suarez are both hard working enough to stifle midfield, making it five in there altogether when needed. I've left Andy out because I don't think this is going to be the kind of game we need him for. He's not a proper back to goal player yet but showing signs, whereas Kuyt can do this and for his limitations he's difficult to dispossess when shielding and holding up play. It's when he tries to beat a man or play an intricate pass it sometimes goes a bit askew.

The game in my opinion is going to be won by the team that harries a mistake from the others defence. Bellamy and Suarez are absolute nightmares in this respect and will also be the two best attacking options against Spurs fullbacks. Provided Gerrard can break from midfield when the time is right as well and he should be able to knock one in.

Think Spearing is a good harrier and the three midfield gives us a decent cover of tenacity, long range and short range passing as well. Bellamy out wide as I trust him more to work his defensive duties against Bale with Johnson and both have some recovery pace.

no Carroll?...you on da pipe?
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline shawnk

• redemptn
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #528 on: February 4, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
I'd like to see this:

Same for me. Would be harsh to leave Carroll on the bench but I prefer Kuyt due to his hard working nature and always position himself to pounce on loose balls or 5 yarders.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: February 4, 2012, 11:44:52 am »
Carroll will start no doubt.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #530 on: February 4, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
Same for me. Would be harsh to leave Carroll on the bench but I prefer Kuyt due to his hard working nature and always position himself to pounce on loose balls or 5 yarders.

Spend a year working with our record signing, building up his confidence, adapting him into the side...then as soon as it shows signs of bearing fruit - bench him for the biggest home game of the season.

Come back Andy Townsend's tactics truck...all is forgiven

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #531 on: February 4, 2012, 11:52:18 am »
no Carroll?...you on da pipe?

You're making the decision with your heart not your head. Just because a player looks like he might have found some small bit of form doesn't mean he right for this type of game - in form or not.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #532 on: February 4, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
You're making the decision with your heart not your head. Just because a player looks like he might have found some small bit of form doesn't mean he right for this type of game - in form or not.
He's been great when he's had a run of games.

Why suddenly end that?

Offline nevoo36

• Not One Of Us.
  • Kopite
« Reply #533 on: February 4, 2012, 11:59:58 am »

Wrong..........Heart and Head says Carroll should start this game, Spurs aren't exactly blessed with height at the back and with right deliveries from Gerrard and Adam Carroll will have a field day in there. Carroll is exactly the type of player who needs a continuing run of games he is very much a confidence player and continuing to start him will only build that confidence.

Am going to go out on a limb here and say Carroll will finish with 15 goals plus this season.

Offline Lebron

• Anny Roader
« Reply #534 on: February 4, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »
I know Kenny likes to be unpredictable with his selections but no way does Carroll sit on the Bench for this one.  I myself think Suarez will start from the bench with Kuyt and Bellamy out wide, central three of Stevie Spearo and Henderson.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #535 on: February 4, 2012, 12:01:15 pm »
He's been great when he's had a run of games.

Great? Really? I haven't said one word about Andy and his performances but 'great' is really stretching it there mate.

For me, Kuyt suits the way I think we should approach the game and I'd rather play as a unit than make space for one player. Also as I've said he's not really a back to goal player for me. What I'm expecting of someone in that role against Spurs is someone who will chase and harry the central defenders in conjunction with Suarez and Bellamy and hold up play with back to goal.

Andy isn't that type of player in my book, he's not an all out charge and pressure player and he struggles in my opinion to have balls fed to him and turn. Playing flick on against Spurs is too much in the 'hoping' category.

Wrong..........Heart and Head says Carroll should start this game, Spurs aren't exactly blessed with height at the back and with right deliveries from Gerrard and Adam Carroll will have a field day in there.

That's the issue right there - how many headers from open play have we scored this season?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: February 4, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »
Tough one this. I'd love Suarez to start, but I expect him to be on the bench. Lack of match fitness.

So based on that, I'd go Kuyt, Bellamy and Carroll up top, with Spearing, Gerrard and Henderson in midfield. Although I wouldn't be shocked if Gerrard was on the bench with Adam in his place.

Suarez and Gerrard on the bench would be disappointing, but bringing them both on with 30 minutes left would be fantastic.

Offline nevoo36

• Not One Of Us.
  • Kopite
« Reply #537 on: February 4, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »
Great? Really? I haven't said one word about Andy and his performances but 'great' is really stretching it there mate.

For me, Kuyt suits the way I think we should approach the game and I'd rather play as a unit than make space for one player. Also as I've said he's not really a back to goal player for me. What I'm expecting of someone in that role against Spurs is someone who will chase and harry the central defenders in conjunction with Suarez and Bellamy and hold up play with back to goal.

Andy isn't that type of player in my book, he's not an all out charge and pressure player and he struggles in my opinion to have balls fed to him and turn. Playing flick on against Spurs is too much in the 'hoping' category.

That's the issue right there - how many headers from open play have we scored this season?

How many times has Carroll got on the end of a cross from open play or set piece and either been thwarted by a worldie save from opposing goalkeepers or unluckily hit the woodwork?

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #538 on: February 4, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
Barring an injury carroll is almost guaranteed to start.

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #539 on: February 4, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »
How many times has Carroll got on the end of a cross from open play or set piece and either been thwarted by a worldie save from opposing goalkeepers or unluckily hit the woodwork?

Tell me. The header he hit the crossbar with was unlucky but it was an acute angle. Aside from that the one he should have buried with his foot from two yards out doesn't qualify for me.

I don't know why it's such a problem that I haven't picked him in what I'd play. Kenny might still pick him you know, I just don't think he is suited to this game at all, nor Adam.

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
« Reply #540 on: February 4, 2012, 12:21:31 pm »

Anyone have the figures on that? Id say if even half them went in, people would be raving about him.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #541 on: February 4, 2012, 12:27:42 pm »
If Carroll is ever going to be a success at this club, he has to start. 

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #542 on: February 4, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »
You're making the decision with your heart not your head.

Ive consulted both...and they're in agreement that he's the first name on the sheet

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: February 4, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
Attack attack attack- best policy against spurs, their defence can be fragile when tested. I'm worried about central midfield, we def need spearing in there. Against the mancs our midfield was totally exposed for the first hr, nobody was holding it at all
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE Ł20 BET

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #544 on: February 4, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »
Then you have fucking morons in this thread hoping someone breaks his leg, why!? Fucking embarassing.

Maybe it's because he's a diving, overacting little prick who makes Nani look like the tough guy of the entire division. I can't say I actively want someone to break his leg but you'll say stuff like that if you're in a mood and I can't say I'd cry any tears for him if it did happen. Maybe if he experiences some real pain he'll tone down the writhing on the ground in agony whenever someone touches him (or sometimes when they don't.) Or maybe he'll use method acting and fake the pain better. I'm not sure if that's the same reason others want his leg snapped in half but I'll keep mentioning it until someone picks up on it and notices it.

P.S. He's worse at it than Suarez :)

P.P.S. No, really.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #545 on: February 4, 2012, 12:43:05 pm »
Ive consulted both...and they're in agreement that he's the first name on the sheet

Fair play, we don't agree. Again though first name on the teamsheet? When we have players like Reina, Gerrard, Enrique etc. This kind of statement does the lad no favours. He's showing some signs of promise that he's settling in now, let's not immediately heap a shitload of weight on his shoulders.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #546 on: February 4, 2012, 12:44:52 pm »
7-0 and I reckon McDermott will grab one.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #547 on: February 4, 2012, 12:50:10 pm »
Fair play, we don't agree. Again though first name on the teamsheet? When we have players like Reina, Gerrard, Enrique etc. This kind of statement does the lad no favours. He's showing some signs of promise that he's settling in now, let's not immediately heap a shitload of weight on his shoulders.

he'll never meet me or you or anyone on here...or ever read anything thats ever written on this website....I think his shoulders can cope with that weight

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: February 4, 2012, 12:52:47 pm »
Maybe it's because he's a diving, overacting little prick who makes Nani look like the tough guy of the entire division. I can't say I actively want someone to break his leg but you'll say stuff like that if you're in a mood and I can't say I'd cry any tears for him if it did happen. Maybe if he experiences some real pain he'll tone down the writhing on the ground in agony whenever someone touches him (or sometimes when they don't.) Or maybe he'll use method acting and fake the pain better. I'm not sure if that's the same reason others want his leg snapped in half but I'll keep mentioning it until someone picks up on it and notices it.

P.S. He's worse at it than Suarez :)

P.P.S. No, really.

So you want him to hurt himself because he dives a bit more than Suarez?

Odd...

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: February 4, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »
Bale's main asset is his pace so a class right back should be able to keep him in check. Where are we going to get one of them?  :P
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #550 on: February 4, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
So you want him to hurt himself because he dives a bit more than Suarez?

Odd...

No, I think you'll find I said I don't actively want him injured, just that I'd cry no tears for him.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #551 on: February 4, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »
Bale's main asset is his pace so a class right back should be able to keep him in check. Where are we going to get one two of them?  :P

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #552 on: February 4, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »
Bale's main asset is his pace so a class right back should be able to keep him in check. Where are we going to get one of them?  :P

bellamy at right wing to help track bale aswell

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: February 4, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »
This is going to be tough >_<

“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

« Reply #554 on: February 4, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »
For me Adam plays. We need to win this game and your safety 1st midfield plays right in to spurs hands.

Who created most of the goals midweek? Adam.

We need to get at spurs and create. I would start Adam instead of Henderson and play Adam were you put henderson. Adam is better in a 3 man cm and will hurt other teams with his passing ability.

Not even convinced I would start luis as he won't be match fit.
You are quite right he played well against Wolves but Spurs have a better midfield than we do atm with alot more creativity which is why we need to keep things tight in CM. Parker, Modric and VdV, will need to be well marshalled all game and I don't think Adam would be better for that role, Suarez and Bellamy and Even Carroll will create chances in attack plus we have two attacking full backs.

I have no doubt Suarez would be up for this, same as he did when he first came here after not playing for a while didn't take him long to get into the groove

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #555 on: February 4, 2012, 01:25:04 pm »
I'd have no doubt Suarez willbe fit enought to start , It was 8 game ban not 9

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: February 4, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »
I'd have no doubt Suarez willbe fit enought to start , It was 8 game ban not 9
He missed one for the middle finger to the Fulham fans.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: February 4, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
               Reina
   Kelly    Skrtel      Agger     Enrique
                  Spearing
Johnson Gerrard Henderson Downing

Suarez

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #558 on: February 4, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
its really not the time to make Carroll's confidence the priority - or a priority at all to be honest.

the only question is what's the best side to win the game - personally I don't think it has him in it, King will dominate him; others may disagree but the discussion should be about how we win the game not whether not AC needs a run of games to fit in or whatever

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: February 4, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »
Actually I think our chance to win against the Spurs will probably come from dead-ball situations. So Carroll should definitely be involved, because he will take away a marker or two, and he will probably score.