539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1449630 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit: Corbyn has magic pixies and stardust on standby ffs
« Reply #7000 on: December 10, 2018, 01:51:41 pm »
All the nauseating talk only a few weeks ago of May being tough looks (even more than it did then) laughable now.

I know it's the cool thing to do to criticise David "Danny Dyer called him a twat" Cameron from running away from problems, but May has done the same thing today. She's no better than him.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #7001 on: December 10, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »
I also think that the speaker has a role to play in this this afternoon, in terms of ensuring the gov doesn't pull any tricks or under hand tactics to fillibuster or play games with the differences between 'motion', 'business' and 'statement'.

Bercow is pretty good at calling bullshit on tactics like this and I reckon he'll call the Gov out on it if he suspects it.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7002 on: December 10, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »
Crossrail has just been given an extra £2B it was meant to be open by now.

More money found down the back of the sofa.

I guess they are hoping this gets hidden in the no vote storm.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:57:57 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7003 on: December 10, 2018, 01:55:23 pm »
Remember 2 yrs ago when we said this is going to end in a shit storm. well this is the shitstorm and it's down to every lying MP who preached the fantasy Brexit while knowing it was impossible to get.
This was inevitable. they acted as if the Brexit day of reckoning would never come. they are a disgrace. the damage they have done will take decades to heal.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7004 on: December 10, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »
Remember 2 yrs ago when we said this is going to end in a shit storm. well this is the shitstorm and it's down to every lying MP who preached the fantasy Brexit while knowing it was impossible to get.
This was inevitable. they acted as if the Brexit day of reckoning would never come. they are a disgrace. the damage they have done will take decades to heal.

Is right. A shocking dereliction of duty on all sides. Cameron and the Tories take principal responsibility of course but the behaviour of Labour and twats like McCluskey who encouraged the idea that it wasn’t Brexit itself that is a disaster, just the Tory version of it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7005 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »
Alongside "she's had to clean up Cameron's mess", the other hackneyed phrase bandied about that really annoys me is "there should have been a cross-party panel/national government" to sort out Brexit. I don't see what difference, even if it wasn't always obviously fantasy, that would have made. No matter how many MPs would have joined hands and sing "we are the world" together, the EU would not have compromised the four freedoms, fantasy Brexit would still be undeliverable and the remaining options would have come under the same criticism from the same sources.

This naivety/delusion that it's not Brexit itself that is the issue, just the way it was handled does my head in.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:06:04 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7006 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:49 pm »
Imagine if we had a competent opposition at this point. We would be energised. Instead, not only do we have Corbyn stuck in the Bennite past but someone appears to have pressed a mute button on the Liberal party.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #7007 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:26 pm »
All the nauseating talk only a few weeks ago of May being tough looks (even more than it did then) laughable now.

I know it's the cool thing to do to criticise David "Danny Dyer called him a twat" Cameron from running away from problems, but May has done the same thing today. She's no better than him.

Sounds like the vote won't be cancelled/moved: "A government source has said that there won’t be a vote on a business motion to cancel Tuesday’s vote. (See 1.38pm.) “We are replacing the business with a new statement but it isn’t a motion and therefore isn’t voteable,” the source said."

...from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/dec/10/brexit-deal-vote-latest-theresa-may-ecj-government-says-ecj-ruling-irrelevant-because-uk-leaving-eu-anyway-politics-live

Still think Cameron is a thousand times more of a coward than May, either way.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7008 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »
Crossrail has just been given an extra £2B it was meant to be open by now.

More money found down the back of the sofa.

I guess they are hoping this gets hidden in the no vote storm.

Probably the best day ever to bury bad news

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7009 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:51 pm »
Apologies if already shared ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tjp5OmoDYQM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tjp5OmoDYQM</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7010 on: December 10, 2018, 02:10:42 pm »
Apologies if already shared ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tjp5OmoDYQM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tjp5OmoDYQM</a>

Apology accepted....  ;)

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=340923.msg16364762#msg16364762

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7011 on: December 10, 2018, 02:12:41 pm »
Sounds like the vote won't be cancelled/moved: "A government source has said that there won’t be a vote on a business motion to cancel Tuesday’s vote. (See 1.38pm.) “We are replacing the business with a new statement but it isn’t a motion and therefore isn’t voteable,” the source said."

...from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/dec/10/brexit-deal-vote-latest-theresa-may-ecj-government-says-ecj-ruling-irrelevant-because-uk-leaving-eu-anyway-politics-live

Still think Cameron is a thousand times more of a coward than May, either way.

I think they're equal. May was willing to run on the Tory 2015 manifesto that promised a referendum, she voted in favour of the act of Parliament that required the referendum and she helped to whip-up anti-immigrant feeling before the referendum. Cameron also campaigned for Remain a lot more than she did. She's not deserving of the sympathy her sycophants and some useful idiot Remainers have cultivated for her.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7012 on: December 10, 2018, 02:13:43 pm »
Alongside "she's had to clean up Cameron's mess", the other hackneyed phrase bandied about that really annoys me is "there should have been a cross-party panel/national government" to sort out Brexit. I don't see what difference, even if it wasn't always obviously fantasy, that would have made. No matter how many MPs would have joined hands and sing "we are the world" together, the EU would not have compromised the four freedoms, fantasy Brexit would still be undeliverable and the remaining options would have come under the same criticism from the same sources.

This naivety/delusion that it's not Brexit itself that is the issue, just the way it was handled does my head in.

Because at least with a national government it would have been everybody's mess if it failed, so it would have been in everybody's interest to get it right.  It would have forced people like Corbyn to take a position and effing stick to it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7013 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:07 pm »

Think that's cancelling the vote by saying 'let's talk about this some other time in the future'. No vote needed by parliament because they're not saying they're cancelling it. Just delaying it. Question seems to be whether MPs can say, "No, let's talk about it now" and force things to continue on track.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7014 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »
Apology accepted....  ;)

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=340923.msg16364762#msg16364762

Thanks. ;D  I don't come in here very often.  I probably know more about the 25th Amendment these days than I do about Brexit. :lmao

Popcorn's Art

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7015 on: December 10, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
What an absolute joke.

Her and her government are an utter disgrace.

A Labour government would be crucified for being so completely incompetent.

Totally agree with you, but sadly, the Labour party is incompetent.
TM was never a remainer…..the EU have given her several passes and she has messed up every time.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:20:18 pm by HarryLabrador »
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7016 on: December 10, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »
Because at least with a national government it would have been everybody's mess if it failed, so it would have been in everybody's interest to get it right.  It would have forced people like Corbyn to take a position and effing stick to it.

Define what "getting it right" means? The Brexit options open to this national government would be the same ones open to the real world Tory government, and all of which majorly pisses off at least one group.

I don't see why Corbyn would be forced not to adopt his current unicorn stance. Surely he could just claim the national government isn't putting "jobs first" or "understanding why people voted Leave" or whatever, walk away from the government and claim a Labour government would deliver a better Brexit?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7017 on: December 10, 2018, 02:19:43 pm »
Stephen Bush in the New Statesman:

Is Downing Street going to pull the looming vote on the withdrawal agreement? That’s the question that everyone is asking, and according to several well-placed sources – and essentially every media outlet in the known universe – they are set to do so later this afternoon.

There’s just one problem: it is quite difficult to work out how the government means to do this. To can the vote, you need Parliament’s approval to pass a new programme motion. But of course, it is not clear that the government has the votes to pass a new programme motion to do so. Given that Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the House, is due to make a statement after Theresa May’s speech, it may be that this is the route they are going for. But they are highly unlikely to be able to win the vote.

There are however a couple of procedural tricks they could pull to get out of it. The first is for a minister to “talk out” the vote, by standing at the despatch box and talking until time runs out. The problem is that you would need one of the ministers due to speak to have the ability or the appetite to speak for in excess of eight hours, to become the target of Brexiteer and Remainer ire just to save Theresa May’s bacon. So that’s out.

​Another way is to simply not to pass the continuation motion – this is the motion that the House passes as a matter of course to resume parliamentary business left over from the last session. If that motion isn’t passed, the leftover business just sits in a weird limbo state, in theory available to be called forward at any time but in practice left permanently in stasis. The risk here is that, although I can’t myself find a way for backbenchers to bring this motion forward without the government’s consent, that doesn’t mean that a way can’t be found.

Don’t forget, either, that any of these procedural tricks are going to have two consequences. The first is that they are going to really irritate MPs; the second is that it will further underline that May’s deal has no way of passing. Both of those factors will increase, rather than decrease, the difficulty of passing any resolution to the Brexit crisis through the House.

And that’s the problem with talking about the government canning the vote. It is not certain that it is within the government’s gift to pull the vote – and anything they do to do so may simply make things worse.
:D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7018 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:07 pm »
Can't argue with this.

@IanDunt

There's never been a shitshow like this has there. You could've worked in political journalism for 30 years and you'd have nothing. Suez? Fuck off. Black Wednesday? My arsehole. None of them match up.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #7019 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:47 pm »
@Steven_Swinford
NEW:
PM told Cabinet Tories would suffer a 'notable' loss if they pressed ahead with vote on her deal.
She said 'risks are too great' and she is going back to Brussels to secure 'legally-binding assurance' we won't be trapped in backstop indefinitely.

So she still doesn't understand the meaning of a backstop. And would like to effectively completely change the agreement again.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7020 on: December 10, 2018, 02:27:11 pm »
@Steven_Swinford
NEW:
PM told Cabinet Tories would suffer a 'notable' loss if they pressed ahead with vote on her deal.
She said 'risks are too great' and she is going back to Brussels to secure 'legally-binding assurance' we won't be trapped in backstop indefinitely.

So she still doesn't understand the meaning of a backstop. And would like to effectively completely change the agreement again.

The EU must feel like they'e dealing with a very stupid child.

"You have to have the backstop - if it's optional we know you'll just ditch it at the first opportunity..."
"Don' wan' it!!!"
"You have to have it - go back and tell your friends it's not negotiable..."
"........ok......."

"Don't wanna backstop!!!!"
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7021 on: December 10, 2018, 02:33:59 pm »
The EU must feel like they'e dealing with a very stupid child.

"You have to have the backstop - if it's optional we know you'll just ditch it at the first opportunity..."
"Don' wan' it!!!"
"You have to have it - go back and tell your friends it's not negotiable..."
"........ok......."

"Don't wanna backstop!!!!"

I can’t follow anymore. After two years of negotiations, the Tory government wants to delay the vote. Just keep in mind that we will never let the Irish down. This delay will further aggravate the uncertainty for people & businesses. It’s time they make up their mind! #brexit

Guy Verhofstadt.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7022 on: December 10, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7023 on: December 10, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
Define what "getting it right" means? The Brexit options open to this national government would be the same ones open to the real world Tory government, and all of which majorly pisses off at least one group.

I don't see why Corbyn would be forced not to adopt his current unicorn stance. Surely he could just claim the national government isn't putting "jobs first" or "understanding why people voted Leave" or whatever, walk away from the government and claim a Labour government would deliver a better Brexit?

I define getting it right in this context as a cross party consensus on the best possible deal under the circumstances.  Something that would undercut a single minority party like the DUP having a ridiculous amount of undue influence on proceedings.  The deal would undoubtedly still stink compared to Remaining, but success or failure Parliament could at least neuter the backlash by being united - and if it DID fail, all parties would suffer equally.

I would hope it would also expose Corbyn if he refused to join such a coalition or walked away from one.  That would be a political act, not in the best interests of the country, but be seen as putting party politics first.  Might at least wake up a few in the Labour Party as to what a fraud he is.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:41:07 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7024 on: December 10, 2018, 02:43:57 pm »
There are however a couple of procedural tricks they could pull to get out of it. The first is for a minister to “talk out” the vote, by standing at the despatch box and talking until time runs out. The problem is that you would need one of the ministers due to speak to have the ability or the appetite to speak for in excess of eight hours, to become the target of Brexiteer and Remainer ire just to save Theresa May’s bacon. So that’s out.

Hasn't Boris got form for doing these uber long speeches?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7025 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:11 pm »
I define getting it right in this context as a cross party consensus on the best possible deal under the circumstances....

Haha - you rally haven't spent much in in here have you...

If this was the Judgement of Solomon story the baby would be two bloody messes on the floor with the two women arguing over whose fault it was.

I would hope it would also expose Corbyn if he refused to join such a coalition or walked away from one.  That would be a political act, not in the best interests of the country, but be seen as putting party politics first.  Might at least wake up a few in the Labour Party as to what a fraud he is.

It simply would prove that the MSM and the Blairites have had it in for Corbyn from the start. Something, something... Laura Kuenssberg... something... Andrew Neil... something, something... Iraq... ...right side of history... ...Peace Process...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:49:31 pm by A_lonely_Xmas_Without_Ewe! »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7026 on: December 10, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
Is right. A shocking dereliction of duty on all sides. Cameron and the Tories take principal responsibility of course but the behaviour of Labour and twats like McCluskey who encouraged the idea that it wasn’t Brexit itself that is a disaster, just the Tory version of it.
History has already been wrote, Cameron made many mistakes when calling the referndum. playing party politics without any consideration to what might happen if we did vote leave but I think history will be far harsher on May and Corbyn. only a Tory/Labour party will deliver your fantasy Brexit so vote for us while millions looked on in dispair and disbelief.

I dissagree, May turned Brexit into a party politics issue, Corbyn was out of his depth, no leadership qualities to stand and fight the hard right, forced to concede to every big point on Brexit at every stage.
Mays cabinet should have had more foresight, take the party politics out of it or both parties will be making impossible promises that will lead to disaster 2 yrs from now, a cross party panel refusing to lay down red lines, they could have agreed on facts like the realty of trading with a no deal. Rees- Mogg would have found it far harder to argue the no deal fantasy Brexit.
PMQT would have been very different to what we had, May and Corbyn could have been agreeing on the facts rather than fantasy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:05:09 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7027 on: December 10, 2018, 03:00:59 pm »
It'll be traditional GE with positions mapped into manifesto's. It'll essentially be a 2nd ref in disguise.
Doesn't that rely on Labour changing their current public stance of "trying to negotiate a Brexit deal of our own" or whatever it is? Otherwise the only two parties likely to be elected would both be campaigning for some version of Brexit, and none for remain.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7028 on: December 10, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »
The idea that Theresa May or anyone else for that matter can return to Brussels and renegotiate the 'backstop' is ludicrous. The UK can moan all it likes that the existence of the backstop has created a parliamentary impasse and even a constitutional crisis. But that's our problem, not theirs. Their priority will always be to prevent an even worse crisis in a loyal member state - i.e. Ireland. That is the final reason why there'll be no new deal for the UK.

If the EU wasn't democratic and didn't respond to the needs and desires of its member states it could fuck the Irish off. But it is democratic, and it won't.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #7029 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:25 pm »
Pippa Crerar

Verified account

@PippaCrerar
 36m36 minutes ago
More Pippa Crerar Retweeted Stewart Wood
Number 10 insiders tell me they think a second referendum is on the cards. "We’re not preparing for it and she doesn’t want it but it might be the only way. We think that’s where we’ll end up".

Mirror's political editor above.

There was something on the TV yesterday about the softening of the stance on a second referendum. The fly in the ointment was the suggestion that there would be 2 choices on the ballot 1. May's deal 2. no deal brexit i.e. the government's position could be the decision to leave has been made, it is about how we leave that any referendum should be based upon.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7030 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:34 pm »
I dissagree, May turned Brexit into a party politics issue, Corbyn was out of his depth, no leadership qualities to stand and fight the hard right, forced to concede to every big point on Brexit at every stage.

I don't think he was out of his depth. He's been playing a political game; to most people (especially remainers) he appears to be uncaring about the impact that a hard Brexit will have. Yet I think he believes the longer-term good of a left-leaning government intent on addressing the vast and growing wealth inequality and ending corporate control of the political process will ultimately outweigh the impacts of a hard Brexit.

I don't agree with him, and if I were in any position of influence I'd be fighting for some way to remain a full member of the EU. But he is following a plan that in his mind is achievable and would, in the longer term, be better for the majority.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7031 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:10 pm »
So she's looking at going back and changing the semantics of the back stop.

Theresa it makes no difference it's not getting through.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #7032 on: December 10, 2018, 03:24:31 pm »
Cameron is and was a twat. He should never be forgiven.

But that shouldn’t ever disguise the fact that Theresa May is an utterly appalling P.M, just as she was an appalling Home Secretary. The prospect that beggars belief is that should she go, the likelihood is someone equally bad and arguably worse will fill the void.

Interesting afternoon in prospect nonetheless.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7033 on: December 10, 2018, 03:27:06 pm »

Guy Verhofstadt
‏Verified account @guyverhofstadt

I can’t follow anymore. After two years of negotiations, the Tory government wants to delay the vote. Just keep in mind that we will never let the Irish down. This delay will further aggravate the uncertainty for people & businesses. It’s time they make up their mind! #brexit
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7034 on: December 10, 2018, 03:29:04 pm »
The idea that Theresa May or anyone else for that matter can return to Brussels and renegotiate the 'backstop' is ludicrous. The UK can moan all it likes that the existence of the backstop has created a parliamentary impasse and even a constitutional crisis. But that's our problem, not theirs. Their priority will always be to prevent an even worse crisis in a loyal member state - i.e. Ireland. That is the final reason why there'll be no new deal for the UK.

If the EU wasn't democratic and didn't respond to the needs and desires of its member states it could fuck the Irish off. But it is democratic, and it won't.

I don't think Labour have a problem with the Backstop (or the detail of the WA). They're also more accepting than the Tories of an agreement for our ongoing relationship with the EU thay contains what would be described as constituent parts of a soft Brexit. Except the state ownership/monopoly/aid issue.

Whether a generally more EU-friendly approach would lead to the EU making a concession on that issue, I don't know. But that's the Labour position put simply.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7035 on: December 10, 2018, 03:29:58 pm »
Brinkmanship (or reality) from the EU... https://twitter.com/MarkJohnstonLD/status/1072131932757078016

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #7036 on: December 10, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »
Fair fucks to the EU. They've been organised, united, sensible and practical from start to finish.

A complete contrast to the shitshow of a government we have.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #7037 on: December 10, 2018, 03:34:11 pm »
Somebody needs to think of a way to make withdrawing Article 50 look like we’re sticking two fingers up to Brussels.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7038 on: December 10, 2018, 03:35:31 pm »
Steven Swinford
‏Verified account @Steven_Swinford
7m7 minutes ago

NEW

PM was pressed at Cabinet to give a date for the vote.

She wouldn't, instead saying only that it will be held by January 21st - the latest possible date.

Eurosceptics fear she will delay vote until last possible moment - meaning there's only time for her deal or no deal

---

How likely is this? Hopefully there's a way this can be prevented before the end of January. Otherwise it seems she is trying yet another tactic to avoid a second referendum.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #7039 on: December 10, 2018, 03:37:02 pm »
This woman has some nerve.

Absolutely fucking shameless.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now