Author Topic: Match Preview - Manchester City v Liverpool - 3 January 2019 8.00pm  (Read 87568 times)

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview - Manchester City v Liverpool - 3 January 2019 8.00pm
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:10 pm »
No doubt about it Pep fears us and so does his team , they beat a second team Southampton today but even they had chances. An early goal and a few balls over the top will have them looking desperate again.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2018, 11:30:16 pm »
When was the last time we conceded two goals in a league game?

West Brom away in April.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2018, 11:30:56 pm »
Why so certain - Have those 3 even ever played together before? Can’t recall them playing many minutes together
Both Wijnaldam and Henderson have struggled to pass effectively to the front 3 all year - Fabinho is somewhat better but still tough from how deep he is. And none of them carry the ball well into attack.

The problem you’ll have is that it’s a must win game for City so they’ll almost certainly throw everything at us
In the first half at the Eithad second leg CL game he basically went 3 vs 3 at the back but then had Walker and Fernandinho quickly joining in midfield and our front 3 were total passengers for the first 40 minutes as we couldn’t get out.
We really rode our luck - now they couldn’t sustain it in the second half so maybe he tailors it a bit as that was crazy all in (they needed 3) but hell try and do something similar he’s not going to set up like this seasons anfield game

For these reasons I wouldn’t be surprised to see Keita.
It’s weird he keeps getting grouped with Shaqiri in these threads as an attacking midfielder - when he’s really an elite defensive midfielder who can also attack.

The reason he gets ’grouped’ with Shaqiri I would imagine is because recently they’ve played a similar role in the team (although on different sides of the pitch). I don’t think both have started together when Mane has been available. It seems the role Keita’s been given lately, don’t think he’s started as a central midfielder in ’double pivot’ yet. We may line up more like we did against West Ham or Burnley in midfield though. I certainly wouldn’t mind if we do, but then I hardly care who starts this season, everyone is playing well when they get the chance.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2018, 11:37:17 pm »
Now that is a fantastic piece of writing. I love the idea that this team can be the golden lacquer that repairs an object while also allowing us to recognise and value the marks picked up along the way.

Well done and thank you.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
Will we lose momentum and belief if we lose to Manchester City and the lead becomes only 4 points? Asking for a friend....

??? :-X

MASSIVE dent.

https://youtu.be/aI7r0BXqNck

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
Will we lose momentum and belief if we lose to Manchester City and the lead becomes only 4 points? Asking for a friend....

I know how nervous its going to be... me too
Losing three away games in the Champions League and facing a do or die against Napoli at Anfield with a very specific condition: win 1-0 or don't concede otherwise we need to win by a 2 goal margin
We got the job done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:43:57 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2018, 11:42:43 pm »
Agree with a lot of this...

I've said previously Keita is primarily a deep lying MF who can carry the ball forward to great effect providing the link between our MF and the attack.

He's taking longer than expected to find his feet , but long term I believe he will end up alongside Fabinho in a double pivot.

I agree with that, and I would honestly like him with Wijnaldum Henderson or Fabinho against City. He is comfortable in tight spaces in both areas of the pitch and he'a a class player he has everything in his locker.

I also believe that Guardiola will do the same thing he did in the 2nd leg. I think he'll feel that the decisions were against him and that they should have had 2 goals in the first half.

Now they don't have to attack that much considering they're not chasing an aggregate, but I believe he will do something to that effect.

In any case, I can also see Klopp using Keita in the half space on the left and Mane on the right, with Keita covering the left hand side defensively and centrally depending on the situation.

In any case the attacking trio will need to put in a shift defensively and not get pinned like we did in that game.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2018, 11:47:25 pm »
This is going to be one of the matches of the season for neutrals around the world to watch. Undefeated Liverpool going away to try & break the back of last year's champion. Pep vs Klopp. Two offensive superpowers. Stars galore. It's going to be fun. 
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2018, 11:52:32 pm »
This is going to be one of the matches of the season for neutrals around the world to watch. Undefeated Liverpool going away to try & break the back of last year's champion. Pep vs Klopp. Two offensive superpowers. Stars galore. It's going to be fun. 
Great thing about it is it's not gonna be an end of the world for us if we lose. This cushion really is a wonderful thing, badly wanted to have it before this game, so grateful for it atm.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2018, 11:52:53 pm »
Was literally about to post this. Very bizarre set of people
City fans are toxic and this is reflected on Bluemoon, which is an absolute dive. No interesting opinions or discussion, just bitterness and aggression. This is what happens when you inject Gulf money into a small club with small-time fans. They get a bit giddy.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2018, 12:08:18 am »
Great OP  :wave if that doesn't get you ready for this I'm not sure what else will.

This is the one it's felt like we've had our eyes on for ages. One game at a time and all that, but everyone knew weeks ago how important this game was going to be. We've done literally everything we can this season to make sure we get into this game in as strong a position as possible. Of those 3 league games we haven't won, we can't really have too much to complain about, other than the disallowed goal at Arsenal.

This is the biggest of them all so far of course, but, with what we've done so far in the first 20 games, and how we tore them apart last season, we have every reason to believe we can do it again. Similarly to that 2nd leg in Manchester in April, City go into the game knowing that any sort of fuck up which sees Liverpool take a positive result, leaves them fucked. Of course, City can not win this match yet still win the league, yet they know it'd be very unlikely. The pressure is on them but we should be going there looking to play the greatest 90 minutes of our lives so far. A win, any win would do, but if we could take a draw it'd be an excellent start to 2019.

Alisson
TAA   Lovren   VVD   Robertson
Fabinho
Gini   Shaqiri
Salah   Bobby   Mane

I'd love to have any one of Keita/Hendo/Milner starting, but it's still a hell of a midfield. I assume Milner won't be ready, but I think right now Fabinho and Wijnaldum are more than likely to both start. Shaqiri seems to be in the form of his life as well, and I think he'll be in there to make it a nightmare for their back line and Fernandinho. Henderson has had an excellent few weeks and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start come Thursday evening. I'd love Keita to be in there, but he's struggled in a couple of away games so far so I don't quite see him starting. Could be something off the bench, however. I pray the front 3 have saved some leftovers from last night :)

I can even feel the nerves typing this, it's absolutely obscene and I'm sure I'm not alone. Whatever happens I hope everyone has a good end to this year and a brilliant start to 2019.

COME ON YOU FUCKIN REDMEN!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2018, 12:20:29 am »
I can't see us going with the same lineup against City that we had against Arsenal. Different class all together and challenge. A 3 man midfield is essential against them, and 3 actual midfielders.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2018, 12:31:29 am »
Lovely OP that Zlen, there can't be too many pre match threads that have managed to include the Talking Heads. I'm off to listen to Fear of Music. Thanks for the reminder.

Never thought we'd be 7 points clear of them at the top going into this game, the lads are like a machine at the moment. Utterly relentless.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:33:43 am by Henry Kissinger »
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2018, 12:36:53 am »
I think the players should avoid buying into the whole "title decider" narrative for this game.
Just go out and play the ball, not the occasion.
We are only half way. And anything can happen in the rest of the season

Prediction: 1-1
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2018, 12:38:12 am »
Great thing about it is it's not gonna be an end of the world for us if we lose. This cushion really is a wonderful thing, badly wanted to have it before this game, so grateful for it atm.
Exactly my thoughts
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2018, 12:42:44 am »
A couple of things I said before.
1. If Arsenal fail to beat us at the Emirates we will go the season unbeaten or probably lose 2 games max.
2. If City loses to Chelsea and we nudge ahead - no one will catch us.

No matter what happens on Thursday, City will not overtake us this season. I don’t bet but as far as I am concerned we will be Champions this season.

This Liverpool team will not let this one slip.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:55 am »
5 reasons to be optimistic:

1. We will score against them. They have not kept a clean sheet in their last 7 premier league games even Southampton B scored and gave them a few scares. They'll either have to play Zinchenko or Danilo at left back who are not the greatest defenders or shift Laporte a natural center back over to left back Salah should be licking his lips in anticipation of that. When we played them at Anfield our attacking was nowhere near the level it is now our forwards have hit form at the right time they look back to the level of last season.

2. We have the best defence in the league. We have conceded 8 goals all season who could have predicted that 12 months ago? City may well score against but we will not be blown away like we could have been in the past. City will come at us hard but we have the defence to weather the storm I see us conceding a maximum of 2 goals if City build a lead it will be nothing insurmountable that we won't be able to claw back.

3. Pep will try something silly. This is the equivalent of a do a die champions league knockout tie Man City simply have to go for it anything other than a win will be devastating for their chances. In this situation Pep notoriously overthinks the situation and tries something new rather than sticking to the tried and tested approach in reality he really does not have the best record in champions league knockout stages. Remember when he tried to play 3 at the back with Bayern against a Barcelona with Messi, Neymar and Suarez or when he tried to play 4-2-4 against Real Madrid and got hammered. We could see Man City play a formation they've not played this season and have barely had time to practice it won't end well.

4. We have an extra days rest. It may not sound like much but it may prove crucial given how many games their have been in such a short space of time. Man City will throw everything they've got at us in the first half I suspect much like the champions league 2nd leg. They will be gassed midway through the second half and won't have anything more to give that's when we'll be able to go for the kill.

5. The pressure is fully on Man City. They know that if we win the title race is effectively over. We can go there knowing even a defeat is not the end of the world as we'll still be 4 points ahead that gives you freedom and lifts the pressure and we'll play better because of it. Whereas on the flip side Man City may feel it and make mistakes they might not normally make.

I really believe that if we win this then we will win the league and based on the 5 reasons above I'm cautiously optimistic that we will win at the Emptyhad.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2018, 12:48:50 am »
Let's just get the main facts out of the way now.  First, we're an underdog which is the first time that's been the case since PSG away and every LFC fan should go into the game wanting the full 3 points but understanding it's more likely that's not going to happen.  Second, that doesn't matter as a loss really does nothing other than the psychology of the race being closer than it possibly could have been.  Third, is that Pep was right in his comments to the press today that this is a must win game for them.  A loss or a draw and the title is probably over unless we hit a massive injury spree.

So with that out of the way, just fucking go at them.  They looked shaky as shit every time Southampton had the ball around their box today.  Ederson is great with his feet but is not Allison between the posts.  Get the ball in the box and shots on target.  It's really fine margins, a couple of things go our way and we have this.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2018, 12:49:22 am »
A draw takes away the game advantage from them. Points difference is maintained.

A win and we are well on our way.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2018, 12:56:33 am »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2018, 12:57:38 am »
It’s the midfield we’ll play. Fabinho and Henderson are capable of doing what you say. Not as well as Shaqiri or Keita, but we have far more solidity in the defensive phases. Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho are very adept at playing those early balls through the lines into the midfield/attackers, and that gives us more time and space - we can have that defensive solidity without giving up *too* much in attack.

Henderson as the 8 in this is also making the best use of him - he’s able to drive through midfield into attack very well. He’s also the aggressive face of our team and will let City know they’re in a fight early on.

Shaqiri/Keita, if they feature, I think it’ll be to come on for one of our front 3 later in the game. To give them a rest after they’ve ran ragged for 75 minutes, finding themselves 5-0 up.

Although! I should add, if they truly do have an injury crisis and Fernandinho, Gundogan and De Bruyne might be doubtful, we may just go with a similar more attack minded set up and have Keita/Shaqiri in there. I think the ragged defensive positions it puts us in though is not worth it in this game. Arsenal capitalised on one such moment (and left a couple others unpunished), but Man City are a far better attacking team and might not allow us that. So that’s why I think it will be Fabinho, Henderson, Gini.

I guarantee that Keita starts this game.  This is the type of game that is suited for him. 

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2018, 12:59:00 am »
Feels like a heart attack type game.

Both teams going for the jugular.

4-2 to the REDS!   C'MON REDS! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2018, 01:05:13 am »
We have nothing to fear and that includes even the potential for a defeat. We will get a nice break after this game, will have already played Arsenal and City and will at the very worst have a 4 point lead. The players have answered every question posed of them and I very well doubt even a loss will dent belief.

In terms of the game though, they looked vulnerable, even today. We usually handle Fernandinho quite well and no doubt Klopp will ensure we have a plan for nullifying him.

I expect City to do something mad like how they set up against us in the 2nd leg of the CL, with some crazy formation and Ferdnandinho doing several jobs at once, with the intention of trying to get a goal or two and then playing conservatively.

To be honest, I think he is going to be the target of our pressing. Don't block the passing lane to him, leave it open just enough for him to get it. And then close down his options and put the fire to him. He's actually a liability under pressure and often loses his head in those situations and gives the ball away. Works best on Fernandinho and Otamendi from all their build-up players. The others are fine with hoofing it downfield or giving away a throw-in every now and then under such pressure. But those two tend to not realize the danger and maybe aren't prepared to not find a footballing solution quickly enough, so there the brainfarts come from.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2018, 01:08:59 am »
I can see Jurgen sticking with the 4-3-3 that slayed City 3 times last year and got us through many huge games to a CL final. So likely a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and one of Fabinho/Keita (if Milner isn't fit) with Shaqiri on bench.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:19:15 am by Red Eyed »
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2018, 01:11:11 am »

Can’t fucking wait for the game. 

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2018, 01:31:20 am »
fuck, i hope the players don't have that attitude. Build on our lead and destroy them.Don't give the fuckers a sniff of a chance of catching us.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2018, 02:14:58 am »

Nope.

We were 1pt ahead 10 days ago

If you’d given me 4pts clear after city at worst I’dve had your hand off

As for the players and manager,even less so. It’s a game, after its won lost or drawn its gone
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:17:14 am by pushysnowman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2018, 02:25:57 am »
Massive game, and I can't wait for it. The one thing that slightly worries me is teams that have pressed and attacked us with pace this season have made us look a lot more vulnerable defensively than we have done all season long. I can only think of PSG and Arsenal doing it, and Arsenal didn't even have the players to do it effectively. City will start at a million miles an hour and if we can avoid conceding early like the last time at the Etihad, I honestly think we'll go on and win. I really do think we've hit the autopilot button and we aren't coming off it any time soon. The run continues here as well.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2018, 02:40:34 am »
For me Midfield is the only question. I don't see Fabinho starting, as he currently has a tendency of a loose ball inside when pressed and City will punish that without mercy. I don't see Shaq starting as although he is hugely press resistant. he doesn't quite have the defensive nous this fixture requires. I can see everyone else starting, it's just a question if Naby offers enough above one the old three's dependability. Personally i think he does. City are vulnerable do the quick vertical pass and i think it could be the game he announces himself proper if we can get him moving through their midfield.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2018, 02:48:38 am »
If Klopp goes with Keita in midfield, I think he'll do the job well enough in this match, he has all the ability to do so.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2018, 03:07:12 am »
I wonder if Klopp would revert to the Wijnaldum, Milner, and Keita midfield. It has a nice balance for the first 6 or so games of the season, but we haven’t seen it since.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2018, 03:39:44 am »
I believe we can nick 3 points at Etihad

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2018, 03:47:44 am »
Excellent OP Zlen, love the Talking Heads references. With that front-three moving ominously towards their 2017/18 form of late, I’m reminded of a couple of lines from “What A Day That Was” off Stop Making Sense (I believe it was originally a David Byrne tune). It most definitely sums up what Arsenal faced on Saturday and what I’m hoping City will find too irresistible for them on Thursday:

“They're movin’ forward and backwards,
They’re movin’ backwards and front,
And they're enjoying themselves,
Moving in ev’ry direction.”

There is of course a well warranted fear of opening old scars, of trying only to once again fall flat on your face. It’s understandable really. For every magic moment we saw recently there is the flipside memory. For each time Gini spins with three midfielders on his ass there is a memory of our captain giving the ball to Demba Ba, for every mazy run by Mo there is a memory of Ramos breaking our dreams with a judo move. But just try and resist looking at these expectations of opening old wounds as a good enough reason to detach yourself even a little bit from what is happening right now.

Hear hear. Couldn’t agree more with that. The journey isn’t the only thing, you obviously want to see it through to the end. At the same time, it must be a miserable existence if the five months of 2013/14 when Brendan’s Reds were the best team in the land and we were going to win the league, or the run to Kiev last season automatically meant nothing next to Gerrard’s slip or Karius’ blunders.

I’ve never felt more gutted watching football than I did after those games, especially the Chelsea one, but that doesn’t negate anything that came before in the slightest. For that reason, I’m both nightmare- and banter-resistant about the Demba Ba goal. Those scars are healed. It was a wonderful season given to us by a flawed team that ultimately wasn’t good enough to get over the line, but I have only fond memories because I kicked every ball along the way. The journey is the experience, and that’s what we’re in the middle of right now. In the end, years from now, the trophy will be a number on the roll of honour. Your personal memories are what will invest that number with meaning and make it special. So we should all be relishing every single moment of this, win or lose.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

As Omar Little would say, “oh indeed”. And on that note, onto the game...

Klopp’s record against Guardiola since they’ve both been in England is impressive. Played 7, won 4. Lost only 1, namely when the wheels came off in spectacular fashion in this fixture last season. City eventually won that game 5-0, of course, but it shouldn’t be forgotten that Liverpool also went 4-1 and 3-0 up against them in two of last season’s other fixtures, games where both teams had their full compliment of players on the pitch. In the process, the Reds often made a record-breaking team that went on to reach the 100-point mark for the first time ever in the English top flight look distinctly ordinary.

The game earlier this season at Anfield was in marked contrast. 4 shots on target throughout the 90 minutes was no doubt a disappointing return for neutrals who had gorged on 18 goals in the four meetings between these sides in 2017/18, yet both managers seemed content enough with the outcome, even if Mahrez’s penalty miss at the end is surely something that must still play on Guardiola’s mind every so often. On paper City’s hardest fixture of the season, it kept their noses in front at the top of the table, while for Klopp it brought the curtain down on an intese period of 7 games in 23 days of Premier League, Champions League and League Cup action sandwiched between international breaks with his side still level on points with both City and Chelsea.

The nature of that game wasn’t altogether unprecedented, either. The first meeting between the two men in England, at Anfield on New Year’s Eve 2016, was also a cagey affair that saw only 3 shots mustered on target, Gini Wijnaldum’s superb header Liverpool’s only accurate effort in a 1-0 win for the Reds. And my gut-feeling right now is that Thursday’s game could provide more of the same, as opposed to the thrilling displays of attacking football we’ve witnessed between these sides in the past. Just a hunch.

Liverpool’s defensive organisation has been superb this season — 8 goals conceded in 20 league games tells its own story. Leaving aside the second-string team selected against Chelsea in the League Cup, only Red Star and PSG’s superstars (twice) have managed more than a single goal in 26 games against the Reds in all competitions, and even then they were limited to a brace apiece on each occasion.  This consistency has often been achieved with a rotating cast alongside Van Dijk at centre-back, with Gomez (primarily), Matip and now Lovren partnering the big man at various times. Collectively, the team hasn’t missed a beat.

What this says to me is that Klopp doesn’t necessarily have to make special plans for City or any grand deviations in terms of his formation, particularly in defence. Agüero, Sané, Sterling, Mahrez, these are known quantities. If his players are as organised as they normally are and each of them play at something approaching their best, Klopp will back them to get the better of their opponents in the key match-ups. Out of the players available to him, the back-five and front-three pick themselves. The only major question is which three players line up in midfield, a crucial one, but at the very least whoever gets the nod there should possess enough flexibility amongst themselves to make minor adjustments on the fly depending on how the game is going.

Wijnaldum is a definite starter, I would say, and I reckon the manager will want Henderson too. If Milner is fit, I actually think he would be minded to go with the same midfield that ended last season for this game. Personally, that would be a concern. The ability to cope with City’s press without giving them possession back cheaply in key areas will be very important, as will the ability to carry the ball through midfield in order to break lines and cause a bit of chaos (Oxlade-Chamberlain’s ability to do this wreaked absolute havoc with City in the games last season). As much as they all have plenty of merits individually, collectively that midfield has too often given Liverpool too little of a foothold in games. For all of these reasons, Keita could be an interesting shout to start this one. Shaqiri, I would imagine, will be kept in reserve.

Guardiola has the much tougher task of the two managers on Thursday, something I certainly wouldn’t have predicted at the start of December. Even leaving aside the points deficit, he will be keenly aware that his team is facing a very tough nut on Thursday, whereas to Klopp, City will surely be looking vulnerable after their struggles of late (no clean sheet in their last 10 games in all competitions stretching back to West Ham on 24 November, 3 losses in their last 5 league games). On the other hand, Pep also knows better than anyone that this opponent has the potential to tear you to ribbons if given time and space to play, and not even that much of either. What’s more, with 14 scored in their last 4 games, Liverpool are running into goalscoring form at the right time.

In some ways, then, the Manchester City boss is between a rock and a hard place — over-commit in attack, something they can usually do with impunity against the league’s lesser lights, and he runs the risk that Liverpool will simply repel his team and counter to devastating effect; set up cautiously in a game he needs to win, and he runs the risk that it will peter out into a draw that would suit his opponents nicely and leave City 7 points behind their rivals.

It’s the kind of “pick your poison” scenario that the great Liverpool sides of the past offered their opponents on a weekly basis — if you want a fight, we’ll fight you; if you want to go toe-to-toe, goal-for-goal, we’ll outscore you; and if you want a cagey defensive battle, we’ll keep a clean sheet and back our lads to score once, no problem. This team has that kind of feel about it, and it’s thrilling.

When it comes time for Guardiola to make that choice (well, I guess he’s choosing as I type), I can’t help remembering the words attributed to him in the aftermath of another must-win game, this time for Bayern Munich in the second-leg of the 2014 Champions League semi-final. 0-1 down from the first leg away to Real Madrid, Guardiola supposedly agonised over his tactical approach for days, second-guessing himself, going back and forth. His eventual line-up was far too attacking, and Real ripped them limb from limb, winning 4-0. Afterwards, Pep is supposed to have said: “I got it wrong man. I got it totally wrong. It’s a monumental fuck-up. A total mess. The biggest fuck-up of my life as a coach.”

Would he risk that happening again (make no mistake, it could if his tactical approach is wrong)? It’s difficult to say. Others will know more about the intricacies of Guardiola’s philosophy and approach than I do (there’s some great stuff in HBHR’s thread, for example), but he does seem like a coach whose ideology and “vision“ is very important to him.

His reaction to the 1-1 draw against Liverpool in this fixture in 2016/17, for example, appeared to be one of extreme pride despite dropping two points: “Congratulations to Liverpool and Manchester City. It is one of the days I am proud the most. I have not had a long career as manager and it is one of the most special days of my life.” The way his side had played in what was admittedly a cracking game clearly meant a lot to him (Klopp was more far circumspect: “I struggled on the final whistle to be really happy but it’s a success to get a point at City and to play like this.”)

As a coach you do have to be yourself, and that’s likely to ring truer than most for Guardiola after a career spent chasing perfection at Barcelona, Bayern and now City with players who are so good that you rarely have to tell them to take a backwards step for anyone. Yet isn’t that exactly what he did at Anfield in October? After conceding 7 goals on their two visits last season, his approach that day screamed “this lot are pretty good, you know, we need to be a bit careful here.” Playing at home with a 7-point gap to close might look like it calls for a different approach, but if he goes toe-to-toe I would back this Liverpool defence to concede the same as, or fewer than, City’s 8 times out of 10.

It’s a big moment for Pep, and I think he’ll carry a certain amount of due caution into it. Having said that, Liverpool started slowly against Arsenal, as they have in a number of games this season, and the Gunners admittedly played better in the opening ten minutes or so before scoring the goal that poked the bear. For that reason, and recalling the quick start they made in the second-leg of the Champions League quarter-final last season, I think City will look to blitz Liverpool in the first 10/15 minutes and force a goal or two, banking on Klopp’s team starting the game cautiously (as most teams would in such a difficult away game). Whatever the score is at that point, be it 0-0 or, Pep will hope, 1-0 or 2-0, I reckon their approach will then be more in keeping with what we saw at Anfield in October. If it happens that it’s still 0-0, I think he’ll rely on his front four to create something and then look to really go for it and commit additional bodies late on if necessary.

For Liverpool, as I touched upon, the approach doesn’t really change too much. They’ll certainly have to soak up a ton of early pressure, during which time Van Dijk and his back four will need to lead, and then the game will settle and the two key players in terms of controlling it from there, in my view, will be Gini and Bobby, maybe Naby if he plays. Those are the ones who will need to give the team that necessary platform higher up the pitch. If we can establish that, I have zero worries about breaching the City defence at least once, but that certainly won’t happen if Liverpool’s midfield is sitting on top of its back four for too much of the game. For that reason, I’m hoping either Hendo or Milner starts on the bench, although not necessarily both.

Despite their recent struggles, City evidently remain a superb side, full of pace, craft and lethal finishers. They are one of the best club sides in the world, and they could win this game easily if the Reds have a bad night at the office. But they were all of those things last season as well, when Liverpool beat them three times out of four.

I do wonder if the fact that Klopp has managed underdogs for his entire managerial career gives him an edge against Guardiola that he will never lose, an extra dimension that his opponent can never have while he continues moving from one embarrassment of riches to the next. At Barcelona, at Bayern, at City last season, the players at his disposal were sent out to play their game, Pep’s game, and they were usually good enough to simply outclass their opponents. Klopp, on the other hand, has had to prepare for wealthier opponents, stronger opponents, his entire career, so often planning in the knowledge that his men were up against superior forces. On Thursday night, for perhaps the first time in their rivalry, he may have the upper-hand, albeit a narrow one, his men become the storm itself rather than the one they have to walk through. It remains to be seen if Pep can adapt to that possibility, but one thing is for sure: if Jürgen Klopp leads his men to victory and a 10-point lead on Thursday night, it will remove all doubt, for now at least.

“I’m dreaming of a city
It was my own invention,
I put the wheels in motion
A time for big decisions”.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:46 am »
Didn't realise there were so many antique fans on this site, must be an english thing.  Ancient Japanese pottery, what a thing, just exquisite in its fractured beauty.  Great Op.

On the game, I wonder if Pep plays Zinchenko at LB or comes up with a creative solution.  He has looked a liability and full of mistakes in every game I've seen him play and was obvious to most eyes in their recent away game at Southampton.  Speaking of, though City had little trouble brushing the Saints aside, there did seem to be some signs of angst and frustration bubbling beneath the surface of the City players.  Even Pep looks uncomfortable and rattled at the moment on the touch line and in interviews.  Advantage us.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2018, 04:10:12 am »
I guarantee that Keita starts this game.  This is the type of game that is suited for him. 

I am not so sure, think Jurgen has set this up for a Milner, Hendo, Gini midfield to be honest. Keita may come on off the bench but it looks like the tried and tested big game midfield will come in I reckon.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2018, 04:43:21 am »
I am not so sure, think Jurgen has set this up for a Milner, Hendo, Gini midfield to be honest. Keita may come on off the bench but it looks like the tried and tested big game midfield will come in I reckon.

It'd be disappointing not to see Fabinho in this game. He was a bit off it against Arsenal but grew into it more as the game went on and has been brilliant this month. He has this innate ability to dangle out a leg and knick the ball off players and we'll really be needing that against City. He's also very good at winning headers and looks quite handy going forward as well and has the ability to play a forward pass very well. The more I think of it the more I actually think it'd be criminal not to start him here.

Offline LFC King

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2018, 05:26:54 am »
Well, I haven't posted since years, but Iam still reading every post and thread.
As a Liverpool fan from Jordan who lives in Kuwait, I've been supporting this club since I was 10, or may I use the word "obsessed" with this club, I skipped exams, dates, planes just to watch my beloved reds,
On Thursday, one of my closest friends will get married and I'm invited to the party but I will skip it and he knows it

I think about this game 24/7, I want to win it, every football fan I know is still making jokes about that gerrard slip, about fucking Machida goal and all those bad memory, I want to Burn them once and for all.

Please redmen, lets do it, we can , let's end their hopes.

2-1 , Salah and bobby
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:28:38 am by LFC King »
YNWA

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2018, 05:29:37 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Fantastic op thanks Zien. That, the angler fish analogy and the aplt all coincide for me.
There is no doubt their whale is under pressure, aplt shows a draw gives us 11 points advantage in terms of games left.
So, pep has to play shit or bust. We must be solid but we know how to unpick their lock. Pre Arsenal we all hoped there was a great opportunity and there was. Same here. Only Aguero scoring last night and Taylor as ref worry me.
They will only just be back from Southampton and will have a recovery session tomorrow and we will be into key pre match preparation having played brilliantly on Saturday.
We should win this by a couple.
Let’s enjoy this 🧣👍
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:37:08 am by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2018, 06:33:39 am »
Crucial to avoid defeat.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2018, 07:18:20 am »
The press continue to knock one out over the Manc clubs!!!
They hate the fact that ‘the best team ever’ in th Prem are currently being bossed by us!
It’s unbelievable the stuff they come out with regarding Manchester City........ we’re still not getting the plaudits we should be for this season!!!
But it’s a mirror of last season..... we go unbeaten to their place like they did last season coming to Anfield.
But I think they’re more worried....