Author Topic: European Cup Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool - Build up here. D-day  (Read 48043 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Its our next game and now Villa are out of the way this is the only talking point for the next few days.

No injuries sustained today so we can be pretty sure who Rafa will have available in Istanbul.

Lets have the thoughts...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:45:42 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Al Bol

• Ugly Bastard. Brother of Spag.
  • Legacy Fan
My thoughts:

Oh shiiiite/C'MON REDMEN!/gutted I'm not going...

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
  • 'There's no Mancs in 'ere lads!'
                    Dudek
  Finnan Carragher Hyypia Traore
           Alonso      Hamann
  Garcia       Gerrard            Riise
                     Cisse

Is the team I would play. I hope we'll adopt the same sort of tactics that saw us defeat Juventus 2-1 at Anfield. Let's press Milan, don't let them control the tempo of the game, and scare them with Cisse's pace... 
Da Dang

Offline suffolkrafa

• Kopite
  • 10/08/1977 & 08/01/2011 The King comes home
God, my stomach is churning

Offline castleman

• Anny Roader
I'm not sure I can wait ten days... it'll probably come around pretty fast though, with the nerves growing by the hour. I always believed I'd see a European Cup final for Liverpool sometime during my life, but it's only just sinking in that the first one for me will be this year.

I'm going to stop there before I get into a full ramble.
This signature has been replaced by a PIN.

Offline susie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I agree with Ginger Red's team, thats the best we've got

I'm getting nervous now which means it must finally be sinking in

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
I'm in 2 minds whether I want this to come round quickly.  If it does it means I am only 10 days from my exams.  Ah well.

We're the greatest team in europe and we're going to Istanbul
Istanbul, Istanbul
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
Here is the likely team, in my opinion:

---------------Dudek
Finnan Hyypia Carragher Traore
Garcia Hamann Alonso Riise
--------------Gerrard
---------------Cisse

Can't bloody wait, easily the biggest game I've ever witnessed. Plenty more to come under Rafa as well, hopefully.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
Im so excited :P

I'm pretty sure the team would be

--------------------Dudek--------------------
Finnan----Carra--------Hyypia----Traore
------------Didi-------------Alonso----------
Garcia-----------Gerrard--------------Riise
----------------Baros/Cisse-----------------

Subs: Carson, Pelle, Warnock, Le talent, Kewell, Nunez, Biscan, baros/cisse, welsh, potter, raven are all possibilites.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
                    Dudek
           Alonso      Hamann
  Garcia       Gerrard            Riise
                     Cisse

That's the team that will start.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
That's the team that will start.

Rafa, is that you?

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
Im so excited :P

I'm pretty sure the team would be

--------------------Dudek--------------------
Finnan----Carra--------Hyypia----Traore
------------Didi-------------Alonso----------
Garcia-----------Gerrard--------------Riise
----------------Baros/Cisse-----------------

Subs: Carson, Pelle, Warnock, Le talent, Kewell, Nunez, Biscan, baros/cisse, welsh, potter, raven are all possibilites.

pelle is cup-tied.

He never walked alone

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Pelle?
You mean pellegrino. I thought he was cup tied.There again, if the Villa game is anything to go by, he won't even get near the plane.

Offline liverpoolynwa

• Hammer Time
  • Legacy Fan
  • well you've won twice but, we've won it five times
                     Dudek

Alonso             Hamann
                    Gerrard
Garcia                              Kewell

Cisse

That would be my team.
Me dad reckons he was in the Kop when it was recorded so says he's sang for Pink Floyd. ;)

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
                     Dudek

Alonso             Hamann
                    Gerrard
Garcia                              Kewell

Cisse

That would be my team.

What's Riise done to be dropped?

He never walked alone

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
There's no way Riise will be dropped to make way for Kewell. Harry's only chance is if we drop Traore and play JAR at LB.

Offline buckshee

• Sponsored by Apache Pizzas, Drumcondra
  • Kopite
  • I don't have a drink problem....honestly
                    Dudek
           Alonso      Hamann
  Garcia       Gerrard            Riise
                     Cisse

That's my starting eleven as well Ginger...... I think its the best we have to put out there at the moment.  Like you I really hope we have a go at them early on just like we did against Juventus at Anfield.

PS -  Bring it on    8)
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
Cisse has to start, no question. Kewell will be on the benchas a secret weapon and Riise will work hard up and down the left-hand side. If we arn't in the driving seat, bring Baros on late to drag defenders out of position, but keep Cisse on to take advantage.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
There's very few permutations of a starting 11 really.

The following players are pretty much assured a start...

Dudek

Finnan   Hyypia  Carra  Traore

Garcia   Alonso   Gerrard  Riise

The only decisions to be made whether he plays 1 or 2 strikers.  If he chooses 1 its then just about which one it is and then which player out of Hamann or Biscan slots into midfield.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:14:05 pm by Graeme »

Offline jhype2005

• Boys Pen
10 days to go and I'm bloody nervous as hell. This is easily the biggest game I've ever witnessed and I can't wait.

Glad the players are going into it with a clean bill of health and I totally expect Cisse to play upfront after his recent performances

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom

I have to agree with Graeme that

Dudek

Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore

Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise

are certain starters.

The big question must be what formation we would use, I was surprised Hamann did not start today, cause if he is likely to start against AC Milan this would have been a perfect match to gain match fitness in, so the fact that Biscan played today may indicate that Biscan would be preferred in the final, this is pure speculations but think about it.

Another thing that is interesting is the mind games.

I think Rafa will start with both Cisse and Baros up front, I thought Rafa would use the Villa match to try it out, but he may already have started the mind games!!

If we had used both from the start today, it would have been a sign that he considered the option before the final!!
Because he did not, I think everybody will think it is certain Liverpool will start in a 4-2-3-1 formation in the final, and maybe thats Rafa`s plan!!
Get everybody to think that, and then start with Cisse and Baros up front and really have a go at the Milan defense from the start of the match!!

I would have done it like this, and since Rafa is a clever manager I`m sure he must be thinking in the same direction  ;)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Baros and Cisse have not had a chance to play together and we won't change the approach for a CL Final.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
                    Dudek
           Alonso      Hamann
  Garcia       Gerrard            Riise
                     Cisse

Can't argue with that side. The only question for me is over Hamann. I wonder whether Biscan has done enough in the games against Juve and Chelsea to earn himself a place. I would go with Hamann's experience myself, though, but it will be a shame for Igor on a personal level if he misses out. If Kewell gets near the starting 11, I'm not watching. ;D
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
Baros and Cisse have not had a chance to play together and we won't change the approach for a CL Final.

They played together before Cisse got injured, they played together today, they can play together every day at Melwood so I dont buy that!!
The fact Baros lost his form when he started to play as a lone striker is also a point!!

I really dont know, but I started to think about this possibility on Friday, and the fact we started with only one striker today made me even more certain that I`m on to something!

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
The players who will definitely be chosen have been outlined above for me. Very few 'possibilities' for me - just whether Rafa goes with Cisse or Baros in the 4-5-1 formation. I expect he will have Gerrard in the 'hole' and won't be tempted to have another striker or Kewell there. Didi or Igor with Alonso in midfield is another decision. He'll probably go with Didi. Although him not playing today was surprising. Anyway, roll on Istanbul!
Internet terrorist

Offline castleman

• Anny Roader
There's very few permutations of a starting 11 really.

The following players are pretty much assured a start...

Dudek

Finnan   Hyypia  Carra  Traore

Garcia   Alonso   Gerrard  Riise

The only decisions to be made whether he plays 1 or 2 strikers.  If he chooses 1 its then just about which one it is and then which player out of Hamann or Biscan slots into midfield.

I'll agree with most people in predicting one striker and hoping that's Cisse. Igor probably deserves the central midfield slot on the basis of the last two rounds but the fact that Hamann's played finals at the very top level before means I'd probably go for him in the end. It'll be interesting to see what Rafa has up his sleeve though...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
They played together before Cisse got injured, they played together today, they can play together every day at Melwood so I dont buy that!!
The fact Baros lost his form when he started to play as a lone striker is also a point!!

I really dont know, but I started to think about this possibility on Friday, and the fact we started with only one striker today made me even more certain that I`m on to something!

Don't believe we'll play them both. We will look to have a solid central midfield. It is a CL Final after all. Given the defensive success vs Juve and Chelsea, I can't see us change that tactics. We will look for security at the back and so will Milan.

Offline jiky

• Rafa's monkey shoulder
  • Legacy Fan
  • i think i want to die.someone shoot me
I have to agree with Graeme that

Dudek

Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Traore

Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise

are certain starters.

The big question must be what formation we would use, I was surprised Hamann did not start today, cause if he is likely to start against AC Milan this would have been a perfect match to gain match fitness in, so the fact that Biscan played today may indicate that Biscan would be preferred in the final, this is pure speculations but think about it.

Another thing that is interesting is the mind games.

I think Rafa will start with both Cisse and Baros up front, I thought Rafa would use the Villa match to try it out, but he may already have started the mind games!!

If we had used both from the start today, it would have been a sign that he considered the option before the final!!
Because he did not, I think everybody will think it is certain Liverpool will start in a 4-2-3-1 formation in the final, and maybe thats Rafa`s plan!!
Get everybody to think that, and then start with Cisse and Baros up front and really have a go at the Milan defense from the start of the match!!

I would have done it like this, and since Rafa is a clever manager I`m sure he must be thinking in the same direction  ;)

completety spot on and if it happens i will be on my knees praying to the Rafatolla!!!!
we gotta go with both up front.I dont want to see geerard play behind a lone striker::.....
im off to switzerland,baby. Wanna assist?

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
Don't believe we'll play them both. We will look to have a solid central midfield. It is a CL Final after all. Given the defensive success vs Juve and Chelsea, I can't see us change that tactics. We will look for security at the back and so will Milan.

Almost everything indicates that you are right, but lets take it a bit further.
I know everything about the way AC Milan play their game, and if we play with the same kind of tactics I dont think we would stand a chance!
They have the quality to pass the ball around in midfield all day and all night, and they have the quality up front to convert the chances they get!

AC Milan would love it if we sat back and played the waiting game!!
If you remember the matches they played against the mancs, that was exactly what happened, and AC Milan controlled the match 100%!!

PSV did attack AC Milan, and they played them off the ground!!
Juve attacked AC Milan at San Siro and played them of the ground in the first half!!

We have to do the same thing, we have to attack, and try to get the lead if we succeeds then we can defend, and to be honest that is exactly what we have done both against Juve and Chelsea at home!!

In this match there are no return leg, so we have to play our cards perfect, I trust Rafa 100% and I`m sure he knows what to do, thats why I think we will start with both Baros and Cisse up front!!
I have spotted AC Milans weaknesses, and I`m over confident that Rafa has done the same thing!!

Offline waffle

• Anny Roader
is it just me or does gerrard seem wasted when playing behind the striker. the only game he has played well there was the Arsenal game when we won 2-1. i would much rather see Gerrard go back to his normal postion and either see an extra striker or a supporting striker like kewell playing there

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
I hope we attack them. I really do. We'd be in charge of the game and I reckon that would be good for our confidence. But even if we were to attack them, I wouldn't expect us to play both Cisse and Baros. We'd use the formation we are familiar with.

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
i'd play

dudek
finnan carra sami traore
garcia xabi biscan riise
               gerrard
                  cisse

i can't make my mind up about Didi or Igor though, don't get me wrong i think Hamman is a great player but i just think Igor has been superb in Europe this season and if we going to play one up front bthen i think Didi might just slow us down too much.

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
squad of 18   dudek, carson, finnan, warnock, hyypia, carragher, traore, riise,kewell, garcia, alonso,hamann, biscan, gerrard, nunez, baros, cisse,         and one of josemi smicer or letallec
definitely need some depth at the back next season

Offline i am sherriff john bunnel

• Boys Pen
milan forced to eat shit at the hands of a ten man lecce outfit in seria a today, great form for a championship run in, and the mighty rossoneri have now failed to win in, erm, 3 games. the proof that this milan team cant cope withg a team bringing the game to them has been seen for weeks now, and el gaffa will be planning for a bayer leverkuson style first half rampage, i am sure. also i think all facts point towards the success of this option, especially given the pace of the reds attack vs italian, er,  "experience". cant wait to see nesta and maldini in a race with cisse/baros

Offline themule

• Legacy Fan
I think it would be a trvesty if Igor didnt start. He's been absolute class in Europe, and regardless of my sentiments towards how good a player i actually think he is, think he should get the nod over Didi purely on merit.

Dudek

Finnan Carra Hyypia Traore

Biscan   Alonso

Garcia     Gerrard    Riise

Baros

Stick with Baros above Ciise to start. If we let Ac milan get the ball down and play from the back we're screwed. We need to get amongst them and stop them playing all over the park. While many bemoan Baros' goal record, closing down and chasing all over the park is the one thing he will do all game. Ciise for my liking is far too lazy, ad would possibly be better off the bench to exploit tired and ageing legs in AC's defence

Offline castleman

• Anny Roader
Almost everything indicates that you are right, but lets take it a bit further.
I know everything about the way AC Milan play their game, and if we play with the same kind of tactics I dont think we would stand a chance!
They have the quality to pass the ball around in midfield all day and all night, and they have the quality up front to convert the chances they get!

AC Milan would love it if we sat back and played the waiting game!!
If you remember the matches they played against the mancs, that was exactly what happened, and AC Milan controlled the match 100%!!

PSV did attack AC Milan, and they played them off the ground!!
Juve attacked AC Milan at San Siro and played them of the ground in the first half!!

We have to do the same thing, we have to attack, and try to get the lead if we succeeds then we can defend, and to be honest that is exactly what we have done both against Juve and Chelsea at home!!

In this match there are no return leg, so we have to play our cards perfect, I trust Rafa 100% and I`m sure he knows what to do, thats why I think we will start with both Baros and Cisse up front!!
I have spotted AC Milans weaknesses, and I`m over confident that Rafa has done the same thing!!

We can be very attacking with only one 'recognised' striker though. It's all about the mentality, to borrow a word. And if we're going to stop them passing it around in midfield, sticking another man in there will help.

Offline suffolkrafa

• Kopite
  • 10/08/1977 & 08/01/2011 The King comes home
9 days and counting, the tension oh god

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
pelle is cup-tied.

The best part is that I knew that. No idea why I put his name, I just put all the names that came to my head.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
  • 'There's no Mancs in 'ere lads!'
The Didi vs. Hamann debate is an interesting one. Hamann's experience vs. Igor's quality, solid performances in this year's European Cup. For me, I'd go with Hamann. He's the answer I come up with when I pose myself the following question:

If we lost possession during an attacking move, and Milan counterattack, who would I rather have defending the midfield area against some of Italy's top players - Didi or Igor?
Da Dang