Author Topic: The RAWK History Channel  (Read 13623 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: The RAWK History Channel
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:31 am »
Just finished reading Odd Arne Westad's Cold War: A World History. An excellent, balanced overview of the topic that benefits enormously from not deifying/aggrandizing the influence of Reagan and Thatcher's Cold War policies (this is largely an issue with American historians), as well as going into detail about other areas of the world that are often crucially overlooked in these critiques (i.e. China, India etc). Highly recommended

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:14 pm »
If you want a book on the French Revolution, then Citizens by Simon Sharma is scintillating.

Fixed it for you.

All his work is scintillating.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 11:50:13 am »
Just read Max Hastings - Nemesis about the war in the far east/Pacific in 44/45. Fascinating and shocking. Even though I've read many, many books about the war there are still some facts that are surpises. I never knew that the Japanese navy never used life rafts or life belts as it was considered to be a negative. Amazing really. Interesting that Nagasaki was the second choice for the bomb that day. It was supposed to be dropped on Kokura but due to cloud cover they went for Nagasaki instead.
Also that scene in The Pacific tv series where they are flicking stones into the open rain filled skull of a Japanese machine gunner is a true story.

Just been working through the Ken Burns films on netflix as I enjoyed his Vietnam film last year. Came across a good one on prohibition. Was a great piece on there about an old lady called Carrie Nation who went around smashing up bars with an axe. Made me smile.

I mainly read historical fiction and probably the main series of books where I learned a lot was the Colleen McCullough Rome series. Seven glorious books.
I also enjoy James Michener types of sagas, with the baton being passed to Edward Rutherfurd.

Its great to read books or authors I dont know, so thanks everyone for a few tips.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:54:38 am by Nitramdorf »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 01:00:16 pm »
Just read Max Hastings - Nemesis about the war in the far east/Pacific in 44/45. Fascinating and shocking. Even though I've read many, many books about the war there are still some facts that are surpises. I never knew that the Japanese navy never used life rafts or life belts as it was considered to be a negative. Amazing really. Interesting that Nagasaki was the second choice for the bomb that day. It was supposed to be dropped on Kokura but due to cloud cover they went for Nagasaki instead.
Also that scene in The Pacific tv series where they are flicking stones into the open rain filled skull of a Japanese machine gunner is a true story.

Just been working through the Ken Burns films on netflix as I enjoyed his Vietnam film last year. Came across a good one on prohibition. Was a great piece on there about an old lady called Carrie Nation who went around smashing up bars with an axe. Made me smile.

I mainly read historical fiction and probably the main series of books where I learned a lot was the Colleen McCullough Rome series. Seven glorious books.
I also enjoy James Michener types of sagas, with the baton being passed to Edward Rutherfurd.

Its great to read books or authors I dont know, so thanks everyone for a few tips.

Max Hastings books generally on WW2 are very well researched and eminently readable. His books on Churchill (The Warlord Years) and All Hell Let Loose are fantastic. The personal anecdotes throughout the latter are heartbreaking and illuminating
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 01:23:45 pm »
Max Hastings books generally on WW2 are very well researched and eminently readable. His books on Churchill (The Warlord Years) and All Hell Let Loose are fantastic. The personal anecdotes throughout the latter are heartbreaking and illuminating

Thanks mate, up to now I had only read his Korean War book. I have all the others now, might go for his World War 1 next, then the Churchill one. His Secret War book intrigues me also.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 01:29:53 pm »

Very much echo the merits of Masters of Rome by McCullough, her author's notes contain historical sources and discussions of influences on her fictional narrative choices. She comes across as very well read in the Classics...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 09:31:23 pm »
You invaded us, left but kept some of our Courtry and now you have to put up with The DuUP, serves you right.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 07:43:06 pm »
You invaded us, left but kept some of our Courtry and now you have to put up with The DuUP, serves you right.

Can't agree with that. The DUP are a cruel and unusual punishment.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
Can't agree with that. The DUP are a cruel and unusual punishment.

We've had them for decades.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 03:05:17 pm »
And that's probably why so many on here are self taught, picking up periods of history from novels or documentaries and then reading around the subject.

Exactly; mind you when i had history lessons as a lad we still had an empire. :D

However I always loved the period from the Tudors right through to the Civil War.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »
Exactly; mind you when i had history lessons as a lad we still had an empire. :D

However I always loved the period from the Tudors right through to the Civil War.

As I've got older I've realised the period from the Tudors to the Civil War and on to the Restoration of the Stuarts (including William) was the foundation of modern Britain. Parliamentary Sovereignty (haha), global trade and the rise of the Royal navy and the roots of empire, the consolidation of modern banking.

The various branches of the Plantagenets were just the template for the Lannisters, Boltons and Starks and seemed to spend most of their time finding increasingly cruel ways to bump off unwanted relatives.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 12:52:42 pm »
As I've got older I've realised the period from the Tudors to the Civil War and on to the Restoration of the Stuarts (including William) was the foundation of modern Britain. Parliamentary Sovereignty (haha), global trade and the rise of the Royal navy and the roots of empire, the consolidation of modern banking.

The various branches of the Plantagenets were just the template for the Lannisters, Boltons and Starks and seemed to spend most of their time finding increasingly cruel ways to bump off unwanted relatives.

It's interesting you mention GOT, it is definitely based on certain parts of history the most obvious one being the War of the Roses which GRR Martin has a fascination for (Starks verses Lannisters). On one of the extras think it was series 5, they had some experts on who were identifying who the various characters were based on. It's quite interesting who they came up with.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2019, 11:03:35 pm »
I wanted to point to some really good documentaries on catch up TV at the moment. I have just seen a documentary on BBC4 called The Downfall of Charles the I, really interesting and well made. Another well made one was on Channel 5 about Henry the VIII and his wives, which taught me things I wasn't aware off.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2019, 01:40:34 pm »
I wanted to point to some really good documentaries on catch up TV at the moment. I have just seen a documentary on BBC4 called The Downfall of Charles the I, really interesting and well made. Another well made one was on Channel 5 about Henry the VIII and his wives, which taught me things I wasn't aware off.

I thought it was excellent they way they analysed the poloitical tactics used by, I suppose, the Opposition.

Pym was a master politician, Charles merely an entitled King by Divine Right who prorogued Parlaiment.

Remind you of someone?  :D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »
I thought it was excellent they way they analysed the poloitical tactics used by, I suppose, the Opposition.

Pym was a master politician, Charles merely an entitled King by Divine Right who prorogued Parlaiment.

Remind you of someone?  :D

Not the 'master politician' bit. Not these days.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2019, 03:32:19 pm »
Not the 'master politician' bit. Not these days.

It wasn't the master politician I was referring to. :D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 09:18:44 pm »

Remind you of someone? :D

It certainly did, highly appropriate for today's situation.  :D

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2019, 12:17:19 pm »
Really enjoyed the Charles I doc, having understood relatively little about how the Civil Wars actually started, but did we really need the Brexit/Trump allusions? Sometimes I just want to switch off and enjoy the hindsight of political turbulences of another age.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2019, 06:37:24 pm »
Really enjoyed the Charles I doc, having understood relatively little about how the Civil Wars actually started, but did we really need the Brexit/Trump allusions? Sometimes I just want to switch off and enjoy the hindsight of political turbulences of another age.

Certainly the political furore around Brexit and the obvious tactical similarities were the reason the documentary makers and the BBC commissioned it now.

Otherwise it probably wouldn't have been made.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 09:00:42 am »
Theres a wonderful two part show on More 4 at the moment -

Life after WW1 in colour.

There is also a three part show on the same channel called Living in the Shadow of WW2, haven't seen it yet but looks great.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2019, 08:28:37 pm »
There have been a number of docs I've seen recently on all sorts of channels about Ancient Egypt. Endlessly fascinating they are.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2019, 11:03:47 pm »
Just watched the BBC documentary about Joan of Arc.

Fascinating that a full transcript of her interrogation and trial have survived, as have the French  trial records of the Templars.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2019, 11:07:59 pm »

Fascinating that a full transcript of her interrogation and trial have survived, as have the French  trial records of the Templars.

I would like to see that, what was it called?

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2019, 11:39:27 pm »
I would like to see that, what was it called?
I think, Joan of Arc: Gods Warrior, am just downloading it now

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2019, 12:45:25 am »
I think, Joan of Arc: Gods Warrior, am just downloading it now

Thanks will look at that tomorrow.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:05 am »

There's a series on Joan on the Extra Credits youtube channel. It mostly concentrates on gaming issues, but it also branches out into history (sometimes obscure) and mythology.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:44 am »
If you are into WW2 history is advise "The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L.Shirer. He was an american correspondent based in Nazi Germany until Hitler declared war on America. I always say to people it reads like a novel. It`s really accessible as long as you can keep track of all the characters. One of my 'favourites' being Otto Skozerny who popped up from time to time in the oddest places. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Skorzeny He was implicated in the false flag operation that kickstarted the invasion of Poland.

As for history in general, i studied it as part of my degree and it focussed mainly on the 20th Century. At secondary school in the eighties we were taught British & European History, which pretty much amounted to the history of the British Empire and rarely touched on Scottish issues; i knew nothing about the Darien, the process of joining the union or anything about the Scottish monarchy (which is at times hilarious)etc until after i left uni! There`s now a great informal push to educate people on Scottish history that is, no doubt, politically motivated. Magnus Magnusson's "Scotland:The Story of a Nation" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotland-Story-Nation-Magnus-Magnusson/dp/0006531911 is another very accessible book.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:01:05 am by KillieRed »
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2019, 11:25:27 am »
If you are into WW2 history is advise "The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L.Shirer. He was an american correspondent based in Nazi Germany until Hitler declared war on America. I always say to people it reads like a novel. It`s really accessible as long as you can keep track of all the characters. One of my 'favourites' being Otto Skozerny who popped up from time to time in the oddest places. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Skorzeny He was implicated in the false flag operation that kickstarted the invasion of Poland.

As for history in general, i studied it as part of my degree and it focussed mainly on the 20th Century. At secondary school in the eighties we were taught British & European History, which pretty much amounted to the history of the British Empire and rarely touched on Scottish issues; i knew nothing about the Darien, the process of joining the union or anything about the Scottish monarchy (which is at times hilarious)etc until after i left uni! There`s now a great informal push to educate people on Scottish history that is, no doubt, politically motivated. Magnus Magnusson's "Scotland:The Story of a Nation" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotland-Story-Nation-Magnus-Magnusson/dp/0006531911 is another very accessible book.

There's an extremely right wing youtube historian called TIKhistory who hugely despises the basis of leftist politics, but whose historiography on WWII is utterly impeccable. Overlook his tracts on socialism and everything pertaining to the left, and he takes apart dodgy narratives based on memoirs whose purpose is to cover up the truth. He notably demolished the established narrative of the Third Battle of Kharkov in 1943 by demonstrating how Manstein bends the truth in his memoirs and how the mainline narrative accepts his word without double checking the sources. He's also fairly savage on Halder, the coverer up in chief who was granted full access to German archives based on the fact that Hitler took a dislike to him.

Complementary to this is Military History Visualised/Unvisualised, another youtube channel, who is arguably even more rigorous on cross checking reliable sources, but who may be less easy to go through (as TIK notes, the best and most reliable historians tend to be dry as fuck). Between them, they are hugely educational on the view of WWII history based on cross checking with newly available information that is now becoming more mainstream among respected historians.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2019, 11:35:17 am »
Saw one last week about the JFK assasination, not sure when it was first aired, where they debunked the usual theories. In this one, they also worked out where the missing bullet went from the first shot. It also explained the locations of the shell casings on the floor where Oswald shot him from. They found Oswald took his first shot just after the car turned left into Deley Plaza- eye witnesses at the time spoke of hearing a shot at this time - but couldn't figure out how he had missed. From looking back at the re-creation the Secret Service did at the time, they realised the shot had hit the traffic light as the car passed under it, fragmenting the bullet.

The casings on the floor, two can be seen to be clearly together, this is the second and third shot and one on its own

Grainy pictures, but daylight can be seen through the hole in the bottom left.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #69 on: September 1, 2019, 02:15:19 pm »
Today marks 80 years since Germany invaded Poland to help spark the bloodiest conflict in human history.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 6, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »
An interesting show on BBC4 this week and next. Lost films of WW2. All clips from homemade films made before and during the war. There is quite a bit about a place for evacuees near Liverpool called Yealand Manor.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:11 pm »
This thread has been too quiet recently. Anyone seen any good documentaries or read any interesting books? I recommend Britain's Bloody Crown on Channel 5, five episodes on the Battle of the Roses a well made documentary.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:44:59 pm by jillc »

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2019, 10:06:31 pm »
Have been engrossed in a documentary on BBC4 this week - Korea: The Never Ending War.

Well worth a look.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2019, 12:24:47 am »
This thread has been too quiet recently. Anyone seen any good documentaries or read any interesting books? I recommend Britain's Bloody Crown on Channel 5, five episodes on the Battle of the Roses a well made documentary.

I have really enjoyed Sam Neill's 6 part series about Captain Cook and his various voyages of discovery around the Pacific. It is on the History channel in the UK. One episode to go.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2019, 12:53:24 am »
I have really enjoyed Sam Neill's 6 part series about Captain Cook and his various voyages of discovery around the Pacific. It is on the History channel in the UK. One episode to go.

Sounds interesting may look that one up. Thanks .

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 2, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
I saw the film The King last night on Netflix which is based on the Battle of Agincourt and was quite impressed with it. I didn't really do much on this at School, so its always fascinating seeing something like this. The number of men who died in the mud was almost reminiscent of the first World War and it certainly did a good job at showing the awfulness of dying is such a terrible way. It was also fascinating to see how Henry struggled in his initial time as King, in knowing who to trust. It's made me want to look at more about this time now.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 3, 2019, 09:37:30 am »
I saw the film The King last night on Netflix which is based on the Battle of Agincourt and was quite impressed with it. I didn't really do much on this at School, so its always fascinating seeing something like this. The number of men who died in the mud was almost reminiscent of the first World War and it certainly did a good job at showing the awfulness of dying is such a terrible way. It was also fascinating to see how Henry struggled in his initial time as King, in knowing who to trust. It's made me want to look at more about this time now.

He also nearly died in battle as a 16 year old, both with the initial injury and the subsequent surgery (that would be highly precarious even with today's technology and skills). IIRC he was also the first King to set English as the working language of the English government, as part of his reforms of government. Even aside from Agincourt, Henry V would have ranked highly as an effective ruler.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 3, 2019, 09:50:32 am »
He also nearly died in battle as a 16 year old, both with the initial injury and the subsequent surgery (that would be highly precarious even with today's technology and skills). IIRC he was also the first King to set English as the working language of the English government, as part of his reforms of government. Even aside from Agincourt, Henry V would have ranked highly as an effective ruler.

Was the injury an arrow in the face?

There was a documentary a few tears ago which showed how the surgeon had a device made by a blacksmith to help getting the arrow head out. All whilst Henry was lying there in pain and no doubt looking forward to anaesthetic free surgery!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 3, 2019, 01:04:43 pm »

I wasn't aware of any of that, thanks. As you say he seems a very interesting and also forward thinking man. It was fascinating in the film where he started from ie, messing about with drinking and the way he just grew into his life as a King. I was especially impressed with how he didn't just go rushing in against the French but was prepared to think about it and make it clear he wasn't going to be pushed around by any of those court advisers before he got to know what they were like.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 09:41:45 am »
Theres an interesting 3 part docudrama on iplayer at the moment. Charles 1st: Downfall of a King.