Author Topic: Firefox Quantum is here .... (firefox browser rebuilt)  (Read 2376 times)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Firefox Quantum is here .... (firefox browser rebuilt)
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »
I always use Firefox but for a while it's been going stale, buggy..  :-\
Now a total overhaul, rebuild... slicker, faster...see for yourselves..  :wave    ...Firefox Quantum
seems good so far, but my favorites button went (top right) :o ..
So, click options (top right 3 bars) - Customize - drag 'favorite button back into your browser top right.

http://www.techradar.com/news/firefox-quantum-is-here-and-it-wants-to-win-you-back
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Firefox Quantum is here .... (firefox browser rebuilt)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:03:28 pm »
Not used Firefox for years, I have tended to use Chrome since it was released, might have a look at this though
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »
Chrome is a bloated shitstain these days - directly opposite to what it was. I'm on Opera now but I'll try this as Opera is not all that.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:53:04 am »
Have used Firefox for years now and hadn't heard of this. Just downloaded it and first impressions are it's as fast as Mo and Sadio.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:20:26 am »
I've always been a Firefox user, and this is just a massive improvement in every regard. So much faster and uses a lot less system resources. Well worth checking out!
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:39 am »
Been on it for a few days now but like it so far,seems faster.Also put bookmarks tab back in top right corner.  ;D

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:58:56 am »
Upgraded to Firefox Quantum the other day and it fucked up a load of websites, I think it somehow disabled javascript on all my browsers. I normally use Chrome for browsing and because I use chromecast to stream videos to the TV and so far I don't think Quantum is going to win me back to using Firefox full time, I only really need it for websites that I have to use my digital certificate with (not compatible with Chrome for some reason).
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
I have quite a few visual customisation add-ons that have been disabled which is annoying, but I hope people make updated versions that will work. At least the adblocker is working 100% now, last few versions they must have been starting to make changes as some youtube ads etc were creeping through.

I do hate that the reload page button is now top left, as I keep moving the mouse to the address bar for it.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 08:34:53 pm »
.....took umbrage yesterday when I realised Firefox had reinvented itself without warning (I only use Firefox and Opera) ....soon realised though that Its a big improvement....im liking it....hats off to the Dev's
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 09:32:17 pm »
I do hate that the reload page button is now top left, as I keep moving the mouse to the address bar for it.

Me to..  ;D
as it's a 'new rebuild' there will be updates & fixes etc... but i do think it's an improvement.  :wave

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »

If you right-click on the toolbar, and then click customize, you can move the reload button over to the right.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:06 pm »
If you right-click on the toolbar, and then click customize, you can move the reload button over to the right.

Cheers mate. Exactly what i was looking for. Much better now.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 09:50:36 pm »
Thats better... thanks  :wave

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:50 pm »
Nice one mate. These fuckers moved it to the left and I was wanting to movie it back.  :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:42 pm »
Still don't understand why my task manager is showing six(!) instances of firefox running when I only have one FF window open; even if I AM running multiple tabs shouldn't it be a single process?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
Still don't understand why my task manager is showing six(!) instances of firefox running when I only have one FF window open; even if I AM running multiple tabs shouldn't it be a single process?

How many add-ons are you running?
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:12:22 pm »
Its seems faster but I dont like it went back to the older version my 2 fav extensions dont work with it Classic theme restorer and Tab mix plus.

I need to be able to change the look of it to exactly how I like it like the tabs under the main menu and bookmark bar and if you click on a link or a bookmark it opens in a new tab.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:18:45 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:08 am »
How many add-ons are you running?

Barely any.  FB Purity and a couple of youtube downloaders.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 12:55:32 pm »
Classic theme restorer

This is also for me a big deal, loved that add on. I'm still using the new version and might get used to not having it but I'd install a version immediately if someone made one.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »

There should be at least two processes, one for handling the Browser interface ie all the GUI components and buttons etc, and one for the page content ie the HTML rendering and script interpretation etc.

There may well be additional processes for things like debugger, search bar, news feeds etc, but that would need further investigation to determine. I seem to initially have three with just one page opened at Google search.

Then, each successive page tab subsequently opened will start a further process, usually upto an additional 4 over the start count when it then levels off irrespective of any more tabs being opened.

Each process will have quite a few threads, these simplisticly being the units of instructions to be pre-emptively scheduled a quantum (a time slice) on the core(s) in your machine (variable but typically anywhere between 5-120ms depending on consumer level or server level environments), each component on the GUI for instance will likely have a thread, each animated gif on a webpage one etc. Since most machines these days are multi-core, this allows a fair degree of concurrency, ie running stuff alongside each other rather than one thing at a time.

The reason for separate processes is that each runs in its own sandbox, the idea being that if for example a script causes a thread to spin or deadlock and makes the tab hang and the page unresponsive, it can be sensed and killed without the other processes/tabs also having to be closed.

Much of this behaviour can be modified, but please, RTFM or you might be in a bad place.

You can paste about:config into the Firefox adress bar, click enter and then agree to not fuck it up and press the button...

Down in that large list of Firefox behaviours are things like dom.ipc.processCount.web which will likely be set to 4 these days.

That value for example (seems to) control the maximum number of tab handling processes that will be spawned.

I suspect this is probably normally set at install or even Firefox startup time time and is derived from groping the hardware to determine the available processor count (it's how I would do it).

To be honest, I would recommend you don't modify anything in there unless you really know what you are doing and understand the sometimes complex and possibly sparsely documented interrelationship between some of them and your system.

The vast majority of these Firefox parameters (you can google them, they're all out there), while accessable and mutable from that special config page, will likely offer only marginal improvements to performance but if you set them wrong, it will almost certainly lead to unstable behaviour.

If you also want to play with quantums, you will need to delve into the registry on Windows or modify Linux start up configs, but you normally only need to seriously faff around with them if you're working with embedded systems, ie industrial or military stuff when granularity becomes an issue, ie you're trying to intercept a small object moving at 1500knots or more 100 kilometres away, such as an incoming warhead, where 5 milliseconds may be the difference between success and failure....but 5ms is not going to make a heap of difference if all you are doing is browsing Rawk on your laptop/tablet or smartphone.

Have fun, but don't come back and say it's all gone badly wrong, ie if it ain't bust, don't try and fix it...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:15 pm »
fuck me this uses a ridiculous amount of memory.....reset it back to factory default as it was killing my system
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:29 pm »
Falling out with firefox .. more & more little glitch's .. click a page back, goes 2 or 3.. lack of fllashplayer.. etc...
maybe it's because i'm using 64 bit ? .. doin my head in..  :no
So i tried 'Vivaldi' browser... so far so good.. hopefully firefox get's sorted out soon  :-\

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en