Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 50045 times)

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chillies
« Reply #120 on: August 2, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »
3 plants from a tray from wilko's and last count I had 87 chillies on them

they just sit on my south facing windowsill and I water them a little bit every day with feed every other day

eaten some this week, tasty, why I never remember to keep my fingers out of my eyes though

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 2, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »
Nice one  ;D Don't think I'll be able to do that with the scotch bonnets though- maybe a tiny little bit off the bottom though...

I think Jalapenos ripen to green (dark green) or red... I'm sure they can ripen away from the plant as well though (when my mum buys a load of green chillis they ripen to red if left out). Not completely sure, however, as it might depend on the type of Jalapeno you have as to which colour it ripens to.

^^ That's wrong. A quick google suggests that some people like to let them ripen on the plant (better flavour), some eat them green and some pick them after they start showing colour and then let them ripen fully off the plant. I guess, in other words, it's upto you  ;D They might take an absolute age to ripen though- so also depends on your patience!

Just watered the chillis and the ones that are growing well have loads of little chillis sprouting. I've just found out that they're from Wilko who call them "hot patio sizzlers" on the packet- not sure what they actually are though.

3 plants from a tray from wilko's and last count I had 87 chillies on them

they just sit on my south facing windowsill and I water them a little bit every day with feed every other day

eaten some this week, tasty, why I never remember to keep my fingers out of my eyes though

Ouch  :o
« Last Edit: August 2, 2009, 06:37:02 pm by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 4, 2009, 10:00:21 pm »
I hate chillies but have a chilli plant at home that's looking lovely at the moment. :D

I can't stand hot spicy food.  :-\

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #123 on: August 5, 2009, 02:47:44 pm »
Pimentos de Padron

5 nights in Barcelona - and ate them most nights. Seeds available from Thomson.

Chilli Roulette and tasty whether hot or not.

http://www.otherspain.com/pages/recipes/pimientos.asp

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2009, 02:51:56 pm »
Pimentos de Padron

5 nights in Barcelona - and ate them most nights. Seeds available from Thomson.

Chilli Roulette and tasty whether hot or not.

http://www.otherspain.com/pages/recipes/pimientos.asp

Just had a half dozen. Ordered from South devon Chilli farm. Not had for years!  Thanks for the reminder. Just a perfect tapas pick me up!
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »
Mine are coming along sound, I'll post some pics when I finally find the lead thing for me camera. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline MrGamble

• Main Stander
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2009, 03:33:22 pm »
i love chilies! i have to have them in everything, even had chili beer recently. im growing some hungarians at the moment, cant wait to harvest soon!!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »
Jalapenos coming through nicely- noticeable growth everyday!

Scotch Bonnets taking a bit long to come through, and with the time of year, perhaps I might not see them... flower buds are still small, with only one flower looking like it'll sprout soon, the rest are still fairly tiny.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:51 am »
Ok, now officially over the top chuffed. My first red Jalepeno!

happened overnight, no hint yesterday and this am, Boom.
           even better tomorrow.

Offline MrGamble

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2009, 10:40:54 am »

looks beautiful that!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:31 am »
Nice one pheel. Now what does it taste like compared to the green ones?

Just saw the jalapenos and one or two of them are going mad with their growth, with the rest coming through slowly as the rest of the flowers start shrivelling up being pushed out by the green of the jalapenos.

One flower on the scotch bonnet bush. Anyone know if they're self pollinating (as I think the jalapenos are) or do they need to be pollinated? Only one flower sprouted at the moment with the rest of the buds showing no sign of it- it's like someone's pressed the pause button on it's growth as they've been like that for ages. Is this a sign I need to water them more, less, put more feed in (do it once a weekish), move it to more sunlight (it gets a fair bit now but could get more I suppose)....

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »
Nice one pheel. Now what does it taste like compared to the green ones?

Just saw the jalapenos and one or two of them are going mad with their growth, with the rest coming through slowly as the rest of the flowers start shrivelling up being pushed out by the green of the jalapenos.

One flower on the scotch bonnet bush. Anyone know if they're self pollinating (as I think the jalapenos are) or do they need to be pollinated? Only one flower sprouted at the moment with the rest of the buds showing no sign of it- it's like someone's pressed the pause button on it's growth as they've been like that for ages. Is this a sign I need to water them more, less, put more feed in (do it once a weekish), move it to more sunlight (it gets a fair bit now but could get more I suppose)....

Not tasted yet, just keep admiring it!

Anyway, i pollinated all of them (didn't leave to luck). As for watering, I was advised to only water from the bottom don't know if it makes a difference but that's what I did. The greens are now "corking " a good sign i am told and the tabasco has finally started to produce fruit. Small as though!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2009, 12:28:16 pm »
Yeah I always water from the bottom... maybe the scotch bonnets are just slower growers.

When they start corking, is that when you can pick them? They have an amazing colour about them don't they?  ;D really vibrant green, and that red looks amazing.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2009, 01:18:32 pm »
Yeah I always water from the bottom... maybe the scotch bonnets are just slower growers.

When they start corking, is that when you can pick them? They have an amazing colour about them don't they?  ;D really vibrant green, and that red looks amazing.

Going to leave the red one on for a bit let it ripen a little more. The corking is a sign that they have reached full size according to google! I also found out today about "fruit load" once a plant has the max fruits it can support it stops flowering. So i have 2 like that. Time to take some chillis I think!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:27 pm »
Nice  :D I counted about 9 jalapenos growing, with many more flowers... hoping for a nice yield of these as I like jalapenos. If even only one scotch bonnet comes through, I'll be happy. I want to see what happens when my brother eats one.

Also got loads and loads of plum tomatoes going red- might make a fresh pasta sauce with them and stick some of the chillis in (the wilko ones- so many of them that I can't even count them all, then there's 2 bushes of them... they're still a pale green and have been for some time though.)

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:57 pm »
2nd Red today, got up early as had to take the lad to the airport. it was very dark and over the day got lighter tried a couple of the greens yesterday, very nice heat. not stupid but hot enough to make my lads mates cry a bit!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
Nice  ;D Not tasted a red one yet compared to the greens then? Apparently the red ones are a bit sweeter I think.

How you planning on cooking them?

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2009, 04:11:39 pm »
Nice  ;D Not tasted a red one yet compared to the greens then? Apparently the red ones are a bit sweeter I think.

Red hot Chilli tonight!

might stuff a few as a starter!!  :lickin
           even better tomorrow.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:50 pm »
being an indian, ive been eating chillies since i was born :D unfortunately by the age of 18 it had caught up to me, i love the hot taste of food but my arse cant take it.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2009, 04:23:33 pm »
 :D That's an idea I like. Will try it- stuffed with cheese perhaps? My mum makes massive chillis stuffed with potatoes and that's nice as well.

Yup, gonna have me some of that.

As for the scotch bonnets- saw that programme on Carribean cooking presented by Levi Roots, and he used loads and loads of them, so will keep an eye on that for ideas  ;D

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2009, 04:40:39 pm »

I usually try to avoid cooking them too much, especially in stir frys as too much steam can reduce their heat. I'd just add them at the end when cooking a stir fry. If Im cooking a curry then id add them to simmer in it with the lid on for about 10 minutes before serving. That allows the spice to spread through the sauce. I'll be harvesting my first batch tomorrow to go into a vindaloo.

I dont know if any of you have every heard of Green Saffron Indian spices. They sell little sachets of base mixes for all Indian dishes. I get mine at a market, and all I can say is, if you follow the cooking instructions properly then the results are epic. I had a madras last week, it was like having an orgasm in my mouth, truly divine.

Heres their website for anyone who wants to make good use of their chillies:

http://www.greensaffron.com/home.html
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2009, 04:42:53 pm »
This thread is making me hungry...

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Drew Barrymore showed me her fondue set once...
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2009, 07:42:36 pm »
cant belive ive never stumbled over this thread before...

some quality growing going on..

that my friend looks a beast...

is it really hard to grow chiilies??

im not a very green fingered person and i might fancy a crack at this...
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2009, 10:38:43 pm »
Hello  :wave

Thanks for the beast comment, I can tell you it was very tasty!

Anyway as for hard to grow, this is my first years attempt and either they are idiot proof or I have been very lucky. Some other guys on here are far more experienced. There are loads of sites out there with advice. Me I bought 2 pots of seeds from Wilkinson's back in April. Planted them, Put a ziplock bag over the pot so it kept warm/ humid and waited about 4 weeks or so for signs of life. Then its a case of separating the seedlings into increasing pot sizes as they grow.

Mine have been kept inside all the time (conservatory/ office) they are now taking over!

been good fun and I now am learning abou when/what to harvest. Got another beast of a red one and a few more "turning". My wife and kids think I have "lost it" ;D
           even better tomorrow.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:10 pm »
thats the thing, with me living in my flat theres n ot much room to grow or even to put outside....

maybe a way to grow inside??
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2009, 11:01:29 pm »
thats the thing, with me living in my flat theres n ot much room to grow or even to put outside....

maybe a way to grow inside??

They need light. A window sill is ok according to google. Give it a go, Mine have got tall but next year I will keep pruning the top and make them bushier. You should be ok indoors in pots.
           even better tomorrow.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »
They need light. A window sill is ok according to google. Give it a go, Mine have got tall but next year I will keep pruning the top and make them bushier. You should be ok indoors in pots.

yeah the window sill is quite big too....

good thing is the flat is always warm too.

think im going to have to buy some seeds...
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »
yeah the window sill is quite big too....

good thing is the flat is always warm too.

think im going to have to buy some seeds...

You should. However, Feb to April is when to plant the seeds so you might have to be patient till then.

Oh and as fopr how easy. When I was transplanting them into bigger pots I had a disaster with one of the plants and ripped its roots off. Basically I had a twig with some leaves left. My missus would nt let me throw it so I stuck the twig into a pot and kept it watered. This lived in the kitchen, (less light not as warm). Its small but has sprouted! 7 flowers now and 2 chillis poking through. Tracy calls it her miracle chilli ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:24:26 pm by pheel »
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »
Today is the day I harvest my first batch

I'm making a vindaloo and I intend to burn the mouth of myself

I shall post up some pics later
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2009, 12:41:17 pm »
Say hello to my little friends. These bad boys are going in the vindaloo

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2009, 12:54:13 pm »
Cayenne right?

I like the way you pick 2 of each stages of ripeness-  ;D

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2009, 01:18:41 pm »
Cayenne right?

I like the way you pick 2 of each stages of ripeness-  ;D

Yeah they're cayennes, probably my favourite chillies of all. They're about 50,000 scoville units, which makes them roughly 6 times hotter than a Jalepeno. Firey little buggers they are. The orange ones in the picture are ones that I picked last week in order to dry them out slightly. The green and reds I just picked this morning.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2009, 02:05:40 pm »
Yeah they're cayennes, probably my favourite chillies of all. They're about 50,000 scoville units, which makes them roughly 6 times hotter than a Jalepeno. Firey little buggers they are. The orange ones in the picture are ones that I picked last week in order to dry them out slightly. The green and reds I just picked this morning.

Nice!

From what you have said they continue to ripen and change colour after picking? Anyone on here had any experience of growing outside in the UK?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:08:32 pm by pheel »
           even better tomorrow.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2009, 02:28:56 pm »

I'm sure you've come across green chillis (if anyone's been to an Indian grocery, they'll know the ones I'm on about)- are the same as cayenne? They're the chillis I've seen my mum cook with ever since I can remember- want to grow some of the cayenne ones next summer, so we can stick them in some curries (can't really do it with the ones I've grown this summer, but the little chillis we grew went in a curry the other day and it was an amazing taste.

I think jalapenos and cayennes are the same species as well, so I wonder what would happen if there was some cross pollinatioon going on in the greenhouse! Maybe something that needs to be kept seperate... 

Nice!

From what you have said they continue to ripen and change colour after picking? Anyone on here had any experience of growing outside in the UK?

They do yeah. My mum would buy a basket of green chillis and some of them would ripen over the days if left out.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2009, 02:42:24 pm »
Those wilkinsons chillis we have... I think they may be tobasco. The fruits point upwards, they're small bullet like shapes... but on the packet it doesn't specify what type they are- they're just called "patio fiery hot" or something like that.

They look like that, but without the colour yet!

Pheel, did you get your tobascoes from wilkos as well?

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2009, 12:35:01 am »
Those wilkinsons chillis we have... I think they may be tobasco. The fruits point upwards, they're small bullet like shapes... but on the packet it doesn't specify what type they are- they're just called "patio fiery hot" or something like that.

They look like that, but without the colour yet!

Pheel, did you get your tobascoes from wilkos as well?

Yes, they dont look as good as the ones in your pic though!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2009, 05:15:22 am »
being an indian, ive been eating chillies since i was born :D unfortunately by the age of 18 it had caught up to me, i love the hot taste of food but my arse cant take it.

Love Is A Burning Thing
And It Makes A Fiery Ring
Bound By Wild Desire
I Fell Into A Ring Of Fire...

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2009, 12:36:08 pm »
Yes, they dont look as good as the ones in your pic though!

Yeah I hope our ones turn out like that- but not one of them has started ripening yet...

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2009, 09:54:56 pm »
I'm sure you've come across green chillis (if anyone's been to an Indian grocery, they'll know the ones I'm on about)- are the same as cayenne? They're the chillis I've seen my mum cook with ever since I can remember-

As far as I'm aware, the green chillies used in traditional Vindaloo's are indeed Cayenne. I've come across green chillies in Indian food markets, but they often appear to be thicker. This may be due to plant feed being sprinkled on the earth during growing. I actually experimented with a small bit of plant feed on one of my Jalepeno pots this year, just out of curiosity to see if it makes a difference. And I can tell you that it certainly does make a difference.

They're like chillies on steroids. The picture is attatched below, have a look. I picked one the other day and had a bite, and it certainly wasn't as hot as my other Jalepenos which I grew normally. Maybe the increase in size reduces the heat, thats my hunch anyway, but I'll be avoiding using plant feed from now on. Au Natural only for me from here on in

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2009, 11:01:27 pm »
Our chillis and plants get tomato food. It's just giving them the nutrients they would get if they weren't grown in limited soil (because of the pots). It's the same as using compost, it's just that it's in a different form.

Another thing about growth- when repotting 2 of the tobasco bushes, I repotted one in a pot with old compost in it (wasn't used to grow things in, but apparently it wasn't good stuff) and one with some of that miracle grow stuff. The difference is noticeable- the colour of the leaves is darker with the miracle gro compost and the bush has grown larger (they were the same previously). I guess the same principle applies with the tomato feed- you just get better growth if the plant's got the nutrients it requires!

As for the heat- probably just the seeds? Perhaps some cross-pollination with a less hotter plant resulted in chillis which weren't hot? You'll probably find some of them on the plant which are as hot as you're used to. Wouldn't be down to the feed, rather the genetics of the plant I'd have thought.

Looking good by the way. Was looking at our jalapeno plant earlier and there's loads of chillis coming through. Not sure if they're going to beat the cold weather though- it's September practically and that means cold weather around the corner. Might stick them inside and see if they can get to a decent size!