Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 47959 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2023, 12:37:32 am »
Fuckin hell Warrington, humiliated 42-6 at Wakefield, won the first 8 matches & won only 3 matches since, in danger of missing the playoffs now. :lmao

Daryl Powell has been sacked as Warrington head coach too.
Wakefield were a pushover until a few weeks ago, beating Leeds, Salford and Wigan, now this
They were chasing Huddersfield but now Castleford might be the ones to drop. This really is the most unpredictable season I can remember, apart from Catalans every team looks like they can beat every other team (or lose to them)
Wakefield v Castleford in 2 weeks should be good
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 12:42:31 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2023, 01:09:55 am »
Wakefield were a pushover until a few weeks ago, beating Leeds, Salford and Wigan, now this
They were chasing Huddersfield but now Castleford might be the ones to drop. This really is the most unpredictable season I can remember, apart from Catalans every team looks like they can beat every other team (or lose to them)
Wakefield v Castleford in 2 weeks should be good

Yep, this season is unpredictable, think the injuries have done Saints for this season though [can't see us winning 5 in a row].

Apparently a lot of shit going on behind the scenes at Warrington, i believe some of the players went on a jolly up yo ibiza last weekend [Warrington had a week off] but Warrington players were telling their own fans to fuck off after getting jeered by them after the Wakefield match. :o
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2023, 01:13:28 am »
And now Powell given the boot.

I'll miss chuckling at his slapped-arse face
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2023, 01:19:02 am »
Yeah, Warrington won super league in April & now have to hand the trophy back. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2023, 02:31:23 pm »
Yep, this season is unpredictable, think the injuries have done Saints for this season though [can't see us winning 5 in a row].

Apparently a lot of shit going on behind the scenes at Warrington, i believe some of the players went on a jolly up yo ibiza last weekend [Warrington had a week off] but Warrington players were telling their own fans to fuck off after getting jeered by them after the Wakefield match. :o

Warrington always fuck things up, they are the Spurs of Rugby League.

As for Saints, let's be philosophical, life is for sharing (unless it's Wigan). Whilst I was upset after last week's challenge cup, Wigan not getting there partly made things up.

This is a transition period for Saints, Roby is off, Lussick has gone, Mcarthy is 37, Walmsley is 33, Lomax is 33 soon, Makinson is 32 soon. I am not sure Wellens will keep his job either so I see anything we do (on top of being World Champions) will be a bonus. It may be we just stop Wigan winning it but I cannot see past Catalans at the moment.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2023, 05:31:38 pm »
This is a transition period for Saints, Roby is off, Lussick has gone, Mcarthy is 37, Walmsley is 33, Lomax is 33 soon, Makinson is 32 soon. I am not sure Wellens will keep his job either so I see anything we do (on top of being World Champions) will be a bonus. It may be we just stop Wigan winning it but I cannot see past Catalans at the moment.

Transition, sure. But Wellens is secure.

Clarke is replacing Roby (I think that's realistically as good as we could have done, really)

Mbye will provide cover at hooker & halfback

Louie is retiring alongside Roby.

Paasi's career may be over (Walmsley will be back for pre-season - barring a disaster)

Mata'utia has been bulking up and will move to the front row next season (this was already the plan before the Asiata thuggery).

Norman is off (to Leigh) and has flattered to deceive - great physique for a prop, reminiscent of a ripped Walmsley, but plays below his weight and lacks aggression

Delaney looks both a unit and a prospect; his forced increased gametime this season will advance his progression. Noah Stephens also coming through has a big rep (a bit of a nutter, I've been told).

We've also signed Whitley from Catalans, who will be backup to Sironen & Batchelor

Looking to sign a winger/centre to replace Hopoate

Matty Foster - who's had terrible luck with injury - is back playing and has his fans in the coaching staff. Wingfield still to return (although heard a worrying rumour he's leaving)

Overall I think we're in a good place for the transition. We had a painful and prolonged one in the 2008-2017 period, getting it wrong a few times but also having some bad luck (like Eastmond), all against the backdrop of funding/building the new stadium (which is the best in SL IMO)

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2023, 06:28:52 pm »
Yeah, Warrington won super league in April & now have to hand the trophy back. ;D

Now knows as Arsenal? ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2023, 07:17:47 pm »
You forgot an old school mate of mine. Henderson Gill.

Could have been a good footballer too but chose Rugby League.

His massive grin whenever he scored a try.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #368 on: August 2, 2023, 06:14:48 am »
His massive grin whenever he scored a try.

When he scored the try for GB in Australia and the Aussie commentator mentioned him ‘doing a bit of a boogie’ ..

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: August 3, 2023, 02:49:10 am »
Lachlan Lam has signed on with Leigh for another 2 years. Good times.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: August 3, 2023, 11:46:47 am »
Rumoured that Holbrook has agreed a 4 year deal to coach Warrington.

I severely hope not. He turned us around after we hit the skids under Cunningham (and weren't too great before, after Anderson left).

I'd hate him to lead them to a SL title. Horrible fans.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 3, 2023, 01:53:11 pm »
New International calendar agreed between all Federations.

World Cup moves to 2026 and will be in the Southern Hemisphere after France pulled out for the 2025 edition.

3 Test Ashes Series are back from 2025. England will tour down under first. Australia to tour in 2028, thus starting an Ashes Series evrey 3 years.

Pacific Nations Tournament is relaunched.

4 Nations (England, Australia, New Zealand and France) (on going talks)

New Zealand will tour England in 2027
« Last Edit: August 3, 2023, 01:57:58 pm by Samie »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 3, 2023, 02:07:15 pm »
Rumoured that Holbrook has agreed a 4 year deal to coach Warrington.

I severely hope not. He turned us around after we hit the skids under Cunningham (and weren't too great before, after Anderson left).

I'd hate him to lead them to a SL title. Horrible fans.

Shit, he's a good un and a good man
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: August 3, 2023, 02:11:04 pm »
New International calendar agreed between all Federations.

World Cup moves to 2026 and will be in the Southern Hemisphere after France pulled out for the 2025 edition.

3 Test Ashes Series are back from 2025. England will tour down under first. Australia to tour in 2028, thus starting an Ashes Series evrey 3 years.

Pacific Nations Tournament is relaunched.

4 Nations (England, Australia, New Zealand and France) (on going talks)

New Zealand will tour England in 2027

I think the Pacific Nations tournament will be great viewing, France need to up their game, no use being SL champions but having an underperforming national team. Might be a good thing for Catalans to win something this year and Toulouse to join them in the SL to improve the game in europe and get some local rivalry here as most of it is southern hemisphere.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 3, 2023, 02:16:06 pm »
Aye will be good mate.

Ashes series are back which is good. I suspect for the 2028 tour, Australia they will want one test at Wembley.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #375 on: August 4, 2023, 01:56:41 am »
Reports that Justin Holbrook has turned down the Warrington offer, he wants to stay in Australia.

Rumours for Holbrook are it's either the Roosters or Bulldogs as assistant at first, with Bulldogs being the most likely club as looks like they'll be having a new head coach next year.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2023, 02:09:38 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 4, 2023, 09:56:24 pm »
Reports that Justin Holbrook has turned down the Warrington offer, he wants to stay in Australia.

Rumours for Holbrook are it's either the Roosters or Bulldogs as assistant at first, with Bulldogs being the most likely club as looks like they'll be having a new head coach next year.

Joined Roosters as assistant.

Phew on two counts.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #377 on: August 6, 2023, 09:04:15 am »
Castleford lost 28-0 at home to Huddersfield on Friday night & have sacked their head coach, Daryl Powell favourite to rejoin Cas, but relegation might scupper that, 18th August Wakefield vs Castleford, the loser of that [looking like Cas at the mo] certainty to be relegated.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #378 on: August 6, 2023, 04:59:55 pm »
Fuckin hell Saints 15-2 down away at Salford at half time win 18-15 :o ;D
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 7, 2023, 02:25:29 pm »
Saints have been living dangerously (and occasionally losing dangerously) all year, nevertheless Salford are decent and it showed some character. That's 8 games this season which have been one score apart, most of them recent as well.

That said, 4 winnable games coming up so should be positioned decently and maybe also able to manage the injury situation in time for the play offs, especially with Warrington and Hull KR being our nearest chasers.

I think Catalans are odds on for 1st but it's a 3 way contest for 2/3/4 with Saints having the easier games (but they have to play Leigh, who play Wigan, who, in turn, play Catalans)

My bets for the other top 6 are Hull and possibly Huddersfield or Salford. Hull KR seem to have switched off, Leeds run in is tough and Warrington maybe if a new coach can re-start the engine. Castleford to go down (unless they can beat Wakefield which should be a great match)

If Saints can snatch 2nd it would help given the injuries. That said, they will probably end up having to beat Wigan or Leigh anyhow, it's just a week off would be handy.

Catalans should be favourites overall as they will get some rest I would say.

Either way those Play off semi finals should be good and I think they will feature Catalans, Leigh, Wigan and Saints unless one of the nothing to lose teams has a good day.

As for Australian NRL I cannot see past Panthers, Storm and Broncos but would love to see NZ warriors in the mix right at the end.

« Last Edit: August 7, 2023, 02:28:44 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: August 7, 2023, 03:39:51 pm »
A lot of buzz about Warrington chasing Sam Burgess as head coach.

How a totally inexperienced coach with a history of domestic violence, bullying & intimidation, cocaine use, alcoholism, drug-driving is them taking a 'more professional'. approach is beyond me.

You just know it'd be a car crash. I say bring it one! Would be hilarious.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: August 7, 2023, 03:45:16 pm »
whats happening at leeds, they seem to be falling off a cliff

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: August 7, 2023, 04:08:24 pm »

They just keep getting recruitment & retention wrong time and again. They really did have a 'golden generation' of players (Sinfield, Peacock, Burrow, JJB, etc) who were not just quality players, but (by all accounts) consummate professionals, who will have been a strong influence on other players there.

That all seems to have gone.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: August 7, 2023, 04:11:36 pm »

I would say they have been half decent but not good enough most of this season. They have lost a few games by a narrow margin which would have put them in contention for top 4 easily, beat Wigan, Catalans. I think that game against Wigan summed them up, they were getting thrashed, had a player sent of and ended up stuffing Wigan, unpredictable.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: August 7, 2023, 05:24:51 pm »
A lot of buzz about Warrington chasing Sam Burgess as head coach.

How a totally inexperienced coach with a history of domestic violence, bullying & intimidation, cocaine use, alcoholism, drug-driving is them taking a 'more professional'. approach is beyond me.

You just know it'd be a car crash. I say bring it one! Would be hilarious.

Also heard that Sean Long to be assistant there.

Thought that was bobbins, but he's just left Featherstone (sounds like he's been fired for disappointing performances against promotion rivals - yet 'Fev' have won 19 from 21 and are 8 points clear at the top with 7 to play  :-\)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2023, 05:15:37 pm »
Leigh are Challenge Cup winners. Fuckin' Hell!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2023, 05:38:34 pm »
Leigh are Challenge Cup winners. Fuckin' Hell!

You could have said that if Hull KR had won too in fairness.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2023, 05:57:48 pm »
Cracking game, RL is a wonderful product marketed horribly.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2023, 06:02:09 pm »
Happy for Leigh.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: August 12, 2023, 06:17:08 pm »
Happy for Leigh.

I would have sort of been before that semi-final, but that dirty twat - and the reactions afterwards - coupled with arsehole Hardaker playing for them, and I so wanted a HKR win.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2023, 06:23:18 pm »
Really pleased that the Saints women won, the first time the women's final has been at Wembley.

Lots of emotion afterwards.

Less than a decade ago, the women's CC final would have been played on a park pitch and the pre-match preparations would have involved checking the pitch for dog shit.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2023, 07:22:53 pm »
Happy for Leigh.

You're a League fan too Gerald? Why you spend your time chatting shite about the plodding fat bastards of Union then?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: August 12, 2023, 07:27:20 pm »
You're a League fan too Gerald? Why you spend your time chatting shite about the plodding fat bastards of Union then?

Don’t follow either religiously but enjoy both. I said earlier in the thread that I met some of the Leigh players a month or 2 ago and they were good blokes. Especially Ipape, probably the most relatable sportsperson I’ve seen. Pleased for him.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: August 12, 2023, 07:31:47 pm »
Nice one mate.

Welcome to the superior code.  8)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2023, 08:44:46 pm »
Fantastic game, fantastic finish, watched as a genuine neutral and was not bothered who won but pleased for Leigh and refreshing (as a Saints fan) not to see Wigan, Saints, Leeds or Warrington (losing of course) in the final.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2023, 11:41:09 pm »
I went to the challenge cup final yesterday as a Leigh fan. Really ecstatic about the result and thoroughly enjoyed the day .
Wembley was far from full at 58,000 but there was a great family atmosphere. Supporters mixing without any trouble whatsoever.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2023, 12:06:35 am »
I went to the challenge cup final yesterday as a Leigh fan. Really ecstatic about the result and thoroughly enjoyed the day .
Wembley was far from full at 58,000 but there was a great family atmosphere. Supporters mixing without any trouble whatsoever.
Well done, I bet you had a great time and gave your heart a good workout.
See you in the play offs

Good to see the Sunday Times today with 4 pages of Rugby Union coverage for meaningless friendlies and one quarter of a page on the Challenge cup final with no pictures. It really is shocking how the Southern Press show their hand. No wonder RL fans have a big chip.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:12:14 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2023, 02:28:25 pm »

Which, given neither club had won it for 52 (Leigh) and 43 (HKR) years and both were in with an equal chance of winning (as in, not a rank underdog getting there against one of the big clubs), is really poor.

Then again, it's 7k more than last year's pathetic effort by Wigan and Huddersfield* fans 

* I was at Saints yesterday and they had around 150 fans there. On a Sunday afternoon. They're a disgrace.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2023, 02:35:23 pm »

Which, given neither club had won it for 52 (Leigh) and 43 (HKR) years and both were in with an equal chance of winning (as in, not a rank underdog getting there against one of the big clubs), is really poor.

Then again, it's 7k more than last year's pathetic effort by Wigan and Huddersfield* fans 

* I was at Saints yesterday and they had around 150 fans there. On a Sunday afternoon. They're a disgrace.

Huddersfield have really dropped off fan wise in recent years, maybe the football team getting into the PL dented them more than most as well as never winning anything, not problems for Leigh or Saints.

I have a view that maybe Wembley is too far and too expensive these days but then Old Trafford does not have the pull given it's used for the SL GF

Wembley crowds used to be around 80,000 10 years ago, now 60,000 is more usual (even Warrington v Saints only got 62,000, before covid and hard times)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:37:50 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2023, 02:54:06 pm »

Huddersfield have always been poorly supported so that comes as no surprise.

Last year the challenge cup final was at Tottenham's stadium [as Wembley was booked for the EFL playoff finals], as said Huddersfield have always had poor support so that accounts for that attendance.

Main problem with the challenge cup, is it's viewed as a distraction [not helped by former commentator Eddie Hemmings who reguly referred to the challenge cup as a distraction] rather than a major RL comp, plus the final is now 2 months before the grand final, some would rather spend their money on a day out/weekend in Manchester than in London, [add in that Wembley is quite soulless compared with the old Wembley], & Manchester is much nearer to the RL heartland, & easier to access for most RL fans.
#Sausages