Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 617313 times)

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #10440 on: April 23, 2024, 01:51:32 pm »
Give Amorim what he wants. I'd rather a boss manager on top money than a shit manager on reasonable money. In either scenario, we're going to pay the price. At least with the top manager you'll get your money back with prize money and going deep into the CL.

There is a 3rd option.. you give a shit manager top money.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10441 on: April 23, 2024, 01:53:06 pm »
I wouldn't be worried too much with what the reports about Amorim's wage demand.

When you're looking to move jobs, you always tell your new employer that you were on about 25% more at your current job and wouldn't consider moving unless you get another 25% on top of that.

They laugh at you and say 'we'll offer you 5 grand more than your current salary' And you say to yourself 'YYYEEESS' and walk out thinking that you're the greatest negotiator since that fella who bought Manhattan off the natives.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10442 on: April 23, 2024, 01:54:12 pm »
There is a 3rd option.. you give a shit manager top money.

We went down that road with Hodgson.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #10443 on: April 23, 2024, 01:55:13 pm »
That hasn't been true for most managers for many many years now. Players hold power and only very special managers, like Jurgen, are more important than the players. There's no way you can say that about Amorim right now. Stick him on the £200 post tax that he wants then get stuck with him for the whole term of his contract if he doesn't turn out to be very good for us. He hasn't earned that yet and his reputation so far doesn't back that up. Its crazy.

Leicester screwed themselves paying that sort of money to Rodgers and then when things went sour they couldn't afford to sack him. Eventually they had to and it was too late to keep them up and will also see them fail FFP, in part due to the massive pay out.

If you give someone 20 mill a year over a 3-4 year contract that's a lot of money to pay out after a year or two if he isn't performing. It's different with players because you're protecting an asset. Obviously that flips as they get older which is why clubs are reluctant to give out longer deals post-30 (which we made the mistake of with Henderson, albeit bailed out by Saudi).

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10444 on: April 23, 2024, 01:57:11 pm »
It's so utterly bleak but if it's not Alonso or Amorim the cupboard does feel a bit bare in terms of good options doesn't it. At least we might be able to enjoy the total car crash of Mourinho on some level. Gary O'Neil or Beheadie Howe is just depressing beyond belief, there are no redeeming features of giving the likes of them a go.

Mourinho is not a Liverpool manager and he never should be.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #10445 on: April 23, 2024, 01:58:55 pm »
Buying Amorim out of his contract you'd think will cost 10m because that is how much Sporting had to pay to get him in.

I meant his reported salary demands.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10446 on: April 23, 2024, 02:00:47 pm »

We went down that road with Hodgson.

My point is you don't really know if a manager is going to be shit or top until they actually start the job. Giving someone relatively unproven a really high salary would be madness.

Klopp got a new contract and a pay rise within a year of starting, when it became clear he was doing a good job, and he was much more of a sure fire thing. That's the way to do it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10447 on: April 23, 2024, 02:06:29 pm »
If the wait a year for Alonso option is a genuine one, I would bring in this fella;

Now that I could get on board with. Said it weeks ago that if 1st choice options aren`t available that just for the sheer entertainment factor alone I would have him.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #10448 on: April 23, 2024, 02:06:34 pm »
Interesting question, Paul I would hope they would though he may not want to suggest actual names himself. But I do think with the Academy turning out some interesting talents they will go with a manager who is prepared to work with younger players as well as being able to further develop the team we currently have. Which is why there be some interesting decisions on certain players in the summer.

Yeah, agreed. Surely one of the most succesful managers we've ever had would be consulted in some way, even if it's just to advise on where he see's some of the players coming through etc, and what kind of direction the side should take as far as the tactical side of things could go. Which they could then use in the interview process?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Online Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #10449 on: April 23, 2024, 02:15:56 pm »
Other than the complaints of bullying in Dortmund as well as the disgraceful manner in which he dealt with the bombing incident.

Also the fact that he has fell out with every dressing room and owner he has worked with

Apart from that not a bad egg
What the? Holy mackerel! He did not want to play the schedule so soon after the bombing. Dude, do you even listen to what you say?

As I was saying, many misconceptions, and misunderstandings about managers we hardly know.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10450 on: April 23, 2024, 02:16:42 pm »
No matter what happens, I don't think we've dealt with this well so far.

The top journos didn't used to report things until things were just short of being announced by the club. Now we've got Ornstein announcing that we're not after de Zerbi & Amorim. I'd rather it was kept in-house until a decision had been made.

Disappointed it's not Amorim, though.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #10451 on: April 23, 2024, 02:19:04 pm »
https://x.com/sportsagentspod/status/1782760255966908817

VIDEO:

The Sports Agents

@sportsagentspod
·
2m
Ruben Amorim may be one of the most wanted managers in Europe this summer, with Liverpool and West Ham both being touted as destinations.

But where will he end up?

@David_Ornstein tells us the latest.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10452 on: April 23, 2024, 02:20:11 pm »

The top journos didn't used to report things until things were just short of being announced by the club. Now we've got Ornstein announcing that we're not after de Zerbi & Amorim. I'd rather it was kept in-house until a decision had been made.

Am I missing something here ?  Has Ornstein actually said that re: Amorim ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #10453 on: April 23, 2024, 02:24:20 pm »
I genuinely don't think Tommy Tuckle is a very good coach, that should be a major consideration

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10454 on: April 23, 2024, 02:24:33 pm »
What the? Holy mackerel! He did not want to play the schedule so soon after the bombing. Dude, do you even listen to what you say?

As I was saying, many misconceptions, and misunderstandings about managers we hardly know.

to be fair, you are being the same, but in the opposite way  ;D

About the bombing - you believe Tuchel, that’s fine, most believed Watzke.

But there is a whole string of events at Dortmund that don’t reflect well regardless. He’s a coach who lacks empathy, doesn’t deal well with people. As good a tactician as he may be, the human side is badly lacking.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10455 on: April 23, 2024, 02:26:35 pm »

The Amorim news only properly broke yesterday because he was on a plane to speak to West Ham. Not much we can do about things like that leaking. It has nothing to do with us.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10456 on: April 23, 2024, 02:27:07 pm »
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Oscar Hernandez, the Barca coach? He should be on the list.  ;D

...or get Mourinho in just to piss Jill off.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10457 on: April 23, 2024, 02:29:56 pm »
Enrique hasn't done anything impressive as a manger since Klopp's first season. Genuinely baffled he keeps getting mentioned

A viewpoint completely without context or explanation.

Won the title in his first two seasons at Barcelona, came second by three points in the third before he left. Won the CL once and every other trophy he was in. Win % of 76% across 3 seasons. Takes over Spain and is flying and then his daughter died. He resigns and then comes back and then gets to the semi finals of the Euros before his ageing team starts to fail and he's had to rely on youngsters who couldn't really compete in 2022.

Comes to PSG, rights the ship a little bit in a transition season and is now on for a treble - albeit that he is unlikely to win the CL.

Has a higher win % over his career than Klopp, has vast experience and is a big name. Frankly, he shits over any other candidate outside of Guardiola and Klopp.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10458 on: April 23, 2024, 02:31:14 pm »

But there is a whole string of events at Dortmund that don’t reflect well regardless. He’s a coach who lacks empathy, doesn’t deal well with people. As good a tactician as he may be, the human side is badly lacking.

People can change though, the story of the maid and PSG shows a man with empathy.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10459 on: April 23, 2024, 02:31:16 pm »
The Mourinho chat in here is absolutely fucking insane. I wouldn't let him be interim manager of Liverpool's kitchen staff. Yesterdays man, and an absolute c*nt to boot.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10460 on: April 23, 2024, 02:32:48 pm »

VIDEO:

The Sports Agents

@sportsagentspod
·
2m
Ruben Amorim may be one of the most wanted managers in Europe this summer, with Liverpool and West Ham both being touted as destinations.

Ornstein seems to be be very active stringing out the Amorin is on our list but not at the top, he might or might not be in the running for the job but it's unlikely.. Story for clicks.. He's the Eton version of Romano.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10461 on: April 23, 2024, 02:34:02 pm »
More bad news guys, Gary O'Neil ruled out by James Pearce.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10462 on: April 23, 2024, 02:34:57 pm »

VIDEO:

The Sports Agents

@sportsagentspod
·
2m

Actually listened to Ornstein there.

- Amorim will leave Sporting.

- Amorim's side likes the idea of West Ham but it's not his top option.

- Been told Amorim to "LFC is regarded as 'unlikely' but he is in the conversation...he has been and maybe that will continue. You never say never with these things. You never know but this is not as nailed on as reports from Portugal are suggesting."

My take on this;

I think Amorim has had a chat with West Ham but we're his top option. We've had our interview with Amorim. We've continued to interview other people and someone has taken that as we're not keen on him.

This could just be a case of us doing our due diligence and speaking to all options...and we could well decide that one of those alternatives is a better fit. I personally don't think Amorim is off the table and looking back at this Pedro Sepúlveda's tweets they are very inconsistent.

Don't believe the talks of 'money/wage' issues. Probably nonsense.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10463 on: April 23, 2024, 02:35:31 pm »
Just pay Amorim what he wants, we'd make it back on shirt sales alone.

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #10464 on: April 23, 2024, 02:35:44 pm »
I think it will be Amorim
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10465 on: April 23, 2024, 02:36:58 pm »
Just let VVD player manage like Kenny... get Milner in as assistant
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10466 on: April 23, 2024, 02:39:17 pm »
I think it will be Amorim

We should get Eminem

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #10467 on: April 23, 2024, 02:40:54 pm »

- Been told Amorim to "LFC is regarded as 'unlikely' but he is in the conversation...he has been and maybe that will continue. You never say never with these things. You never know but this is not as nailed on as reports from Portugal are suggesting."

So what he's basically saying is: "The people in Portugal know fuck all about what is going on between Amorim and LFC, but it's the same with me."

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #10468 on: April 23, 2024, 02:47:40 pm »
That hasn't been true for most managers for many many years now. Players hold power and only very special managers, like Jurgen, are more important than the players. There's no way you can say that about Amorim right now. Stick him on the £200 post tax that he wants then get stuck with him for the whole term of his contract if he doesn't turn out to be very good for us. He hasn't earned that yet and his reputation so far doesn't back that up. Its crazy.

Vieira would be a lot cheaper to be fair. Much more reasonable wages you would imagine …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10469 on: April 23, 2024, 02:48:00 pm »

Smoke screen for Phil

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10470 on: April 23, 2024, 02:49:26 pm »

Won the title in his first two seasons at Barcelona, came second by three points in the third before he left. Won the CL once and every other trophy he was in. Win % of 76% across 3 seasons. Takes over Spain and is flying and then his daughter died. He resigns and then comes back and then gets to the semi finals of the Euros before his ageing team starts to fail and he's had to rely on youngsters who couldn't really compete in 2022.

Comes to PSG, rights the ship a little bit in a transition season and is now on for a treble - albeit that he is unlikely to win the CL.

Has a higher win % over his career than Klopp, has vast experience and is a big name. Frankly, he shits over any other candidate outside of Guardiola and Klopp.

Have to say this is a more impressive resume than I had initially expected, and to be honest he has every chance of winning the CL this season. I think its this year or never for PSG.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10471 on: April 23, 2024, 02:50:14 pm »
I genuinely don't think Tommy Tuckle is a very good coach, that should be a major consideration

He isn't.

Most overrated manager of the last 10 years.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10472 on: April 23, 2024, 02:50:14 pm »

Cool, I will give you that. You have built a reputation following the Bundesliga for longer than many of us here.

I understand the lack of empathy thing - Benitez was also criticised for that. It is also perhaps an 'autistic' trait many clever people have, not something they necessarily set out to do. It is a pity, because I think his football is effective and efficient.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10473 on: April 23, 2024, 02:50:17 pm »
We are not going to pay over the odds, we never have and won’t be doing so here.

The fact that it is deemed unlikely is due to money I would say, no way will we risk a 3 year contract and signing on fee and release clause, coming close to £80m.

I’m amazed he is demanding so much, if “repors” are true.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10474 on: April 23, 2024, 02:50:45 pm »

My take on this;

I think Amorim has had a chat with West Ham but we're his top option. We've had our interview with Amorim. We've continued to interview other people and someone has taken that as we're not keen on him.

This could just be a case of us doing our due diligence and speaking to all options...and we could well decide that one of those alternatives is a better fit. I personally don't think Amorim is off the table and looking back at this Pedro Sepúlveda's tweets they are very inconsistent.

Don't believe the talks of 'money/wage' issues. Probably nonsense.

Given that Ornstein knew of the West Ham stuff, it seems as though he is getting his info from Amorim's people on this? So maybe it's just that they don't believe that he is our top target, rather than us telling him that he's not.

They could have also leaked the West Ham stuff to try and force our hand / get us to speed things up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 02:53:33 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10475 on: April 23, 2024, 02:51:42 pm »

Just need to rule out Frank and Howe / Tindall and I’ll be a lot more comfortable.

Online Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10476 on: April 23, 2024, 02:52:23 pm »

Exactly what I have been saying Stewy. Luis Enrique is currently, in my humble opinion, the third best manager in the world after Pep and Juergen.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10477 on: April 23, 2024, 02:55:30 pm »

Winning at PSG is just never going to be impressive and their Champions League run has been unbelievably kind. Like I said, last impressive thing he did was in Klopp's first year here and that was with Messi, Neymar and Suarez as his front 3. Having a higher win percentage than Klopp given the teams he's managed isn't anything impressive, it'd be bad if it wasn't higher. Xavi has had a more impressive run as Barca manager when you compare the squads they had.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #10478 on: April 23, 2024, 02:57:15 pm »
The Mourinho chat in here is absolutely fucking insane. I wouldn't let him be interim manager of Liverpool's kitchen staff. Yesterdays man, and an absolute c*nt to boot.

He uses scorched earth tactics... stay away.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10479 on: April 23, 2024, 03:01:01 pm »
He uses scorched earth tactics... stay away.

Well depends what the choices are.