Author Topic: Average Danny Murphy  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Ajk

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Average Danny Murphy
« on: January 10, 2002, 12:53:55 pm »
Would Arsenal play Veira in a wide berth to accomodate Parlour?
There are a lot of things wrong at the moment but a spine of Dudek, Henchoz, Hyypia, Hamman, Gerrard, Anelka and Owen is as good as any. Let them were possible play together for a number of games down the middle of the pitch and let the players around them benefit from the stability and thrust provided.
I have thought all along that Murphy is a mid table player, I sincerely hoped I was about to be proven wrong but I don't feel that I have.
With a settled centre mid partnership maybe Smicer would be able to play his more natural game (more emphasis on the attacking third) allowing him to find the consistency so evidently missing at present.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Re: Average Danny Murphy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2002, 09:59:27 pm »
I can't agree more! Gerrard out wide to accomodate Murphy, it's laughable.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline The_Albert

• Boys Pen
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2002, 10:03:13 pm »
its made even more laughable when you consider that last season he was played on the wing and at least looked half decent there!!

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2002, 02:30:14 am »
Got to disagree with this one. He may be playing average at the moment but Murphy is an England player. He may have started off as a journeyman but clawed his way up the ladder through hard work. The natural talent was always there though. He will never be an international superstar I accept. The problems as I have said on other threads are that our tactics, good though they are, are predictable and are vunerable to teams putting 10 men behind the ball. Any team can do that where very few can vary to increase their attacking level.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2002, 02:42:24 am »
An England player?  What, two run-outs in pointless friendlies?  That hardly constitutes classing him as an 'England Player'.

No-one can argue with his commitment or effort but at then end of the day you've got to ask is he good enough.

He's not a winger and he'll never play in the middle of the park with Gerrard and Hamann there.

Squad player.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2002, 05:59:41 am »
Danny's had only the one run out for England, against Sweden, and on that occasion, he looked pretty good.  Not a great deal happened in that game until Sven made his batch of changes, and Danny was amongst them.  I was really proud to see him make his full England debut.  He almost managed to get on the score sheet!

I know that he's been having a tough time of it lately, and it's so easy to lay the blame all on one person's shoulders but, I think yer being very unfair.  Ok, you can call me biased even, but I'm not so blinkered that I don't realise he's been pants of late.  But at the same time, you have to look at the games earlier on, when he was playing out of his skin as well.

It's been obvious for all to see that a lot of players have been playing below par, so to single one out isn't on.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2002, 06:27:03 am »
To be honest the whole team is sh*t at St Mary so even if you replace Murphy with Maradona it will not make a lot of difference.

For me he should not be a starter but he will be a good subs when we have a lot of space to play (i.e. leading the game) -- his performance is better that way.
We won it 6 times

Offline finney

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2002, 11:47:30 am »
thats exactly what he is average nothing more nothing less and him playing in the middle is like letting a kid look after the biscuit barrel

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2002, 12:35:06 pm »

Just think like this, would Bayern Munchen or Real Madrid buy a player like Danny Murphy ?

It is nice he's come this far but he will never be more than a regular Premier League player. It's harsh but if we want to dominate the football world again we need world class players, not just one or two, no, at least 11 !

I also posted this somewhere else, I know.

Offline davemac

• Anny Roader
  • Hurrah for the jesters
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2002, 01:20:18 pm »
gerrard is not an "england player" he is world class - the italians would buy him in a second

andy cole is an england player

sge got england to the wc by playing the best players in their best positions - not rocket science

maybe we should have played owen in midfield to accomodate dundee or meijer
and remember folks - WE ARE LIVERPOOL

Offline NIred

• Kemlynite
  • Carra-mainia
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2002, 04:01:33 pm »
Danny Murphy - average, BULLSHIT!

Danny Murphy seems to be many peoples scapegoat for our current bad form, these people IMHO are  :wanker: 's. Danny was producing world class footie 2 months ago, when the whole team was confident and playing better. He was scoring ,passing very well, and chasing everything. He is good and not just average and anyone who disagrees can fook off, so there!!

So no more getting on Dannys back from "Liverpool Fans" please.
If your Xabi and you know it,
Clap your hands!

Offline Ajk

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2002, 05:10:35 pm »
Common sense would suggest that it is much easier to play well when those around you are playing well or when you are playing inferior opposition. As a central midfielder Murphy has to impose himself on the game and turn it around when things are going wrong. If you want to judge a player on a purple patch of 7-8 games then all well and good, to my mind Murphys performances were distinctly average before and after that period. If we were to tout Murphy on the open market, who would come in for him. My guess is none of our competitors. If he is not good enough for them why is he for us?
Average central midfielders do not retain enough possession, average central midfielders loose their men from set pieces, average central midfielders are a yard slow, average central midfielders will not win this team championships.
I am not blaming Murphy for our current form, as I did not consider him good enough before hand (Short of playing right at the top of his game every week, which nobody is capable of)
I would genuinely have liked him to maintain his form and become the success story he threatened to, but I do not think it is going to happen.
I agree with a very large percentage of everything Houllier says and does but his £8m Rosicy comment is becoming more nonsensical by the day. Rosicky is an above average player who could turn the game in an instant.
I am a “Liverpool Fan” with an opinion  who expresses it here, and doesn’t  get  on players backs at the game.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2002, 08:36:03 pm »
You have to ask yourself how much would Danny go for. It'd be about 4million to someone like West Ham or Charlton, not even teams like Tottenham or Newcastle would be interested. Should a title aspiring team have a 24-25 year old who's only worth 4mill, and would only attract lower clubs as a 1st team regular? No fookin' way! :no:
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2002, 09:12:57 pm »
if he's so average, why do GH and Sven rate him so highly??? If two of the finest coaches in Europe play him then thats good enough for me.

Offline pablodee

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2002, 09:44:40 pm »
Murphy was certainly good enough for us last season, and influential in our champs league campaign thus far.

It's not just Murphy but a long list of players who aren't quite playing up to standard at the moment, nor have they for some time, time which has been subject to our manager being absent on much needed sickleave, a coincidence perhaps?

We are a ship without a skipper and a number of key crew members, this is not a time to be judge and jury on a player's importance to the squad, his deserving of the shirt.  Danny Murphy is a worthy and able squad member, he's earned his shirt with some good performances and goals during the past 18 months. Although I agree with the basic arguement that he should not be picked right now based on his form, nor also should Berger, Smicer or Heskey - but I still want them all in our squad.  Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Murphy has played his fair share of games this season but I don't see the odd game he doesn't start in proving that we are better off without him, no matter what his supposed value ? £ ?.  

Sure, Rosicky is a class player but he's slight of build just like his Czech pal Smicer - Murphy has at least got some muscle on him, he won't jump out of a tackle when the going gets tough.  Are you listening Vlad?

I believe all the 'anti-Murphy lfc.tv gang' have got it wrong and are jumping on a player's back at a time when it is not wanted or needed - though I'm banking on and believing in Ged's return marking the return to form of several players to prove me right.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2002, 10:49:40 pm »
I know that I've tried to stand in Danny's corner and stick up for the poor fella but, there have been times when I've been thinking that he's been over played.  There are times when he should have been starting on the bench.  I've been astounded that he's had as many starts as he has.

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2002, 10:54:09 pm »
Indeed Super Dan, i think that Murphy needs a rest, due to the fact that he's played a lot of games this season. Thus his performances have dipped alarmingly in the past few weeks
Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.

RedLoner

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2002, 11:11:12 pm »
Murphy is going through a low at the moment but I think it's temporary; in fact, Gerrard hasn't been so inspirational lately, has he? but he doesn't get the stick for it.

These are young players with a lot of talent, and are missing some guidance at this critical point, with the absence of their manager.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2002, 02:19:50 pm »
Don't make Danny a scapegoat for the current ills of our midfield, the only midfielder we've got who's playing well at the moment is Didi.

Over the past month and a half, I would agree that Murphy has been poor, but so have Smicer, Gary Mac, Berger and Stevie G.

I would not say that Danny's form has been worse than the other underperformers, if you only want to judge players on current form then you could argue that all of these players should be sold.

Anyway if we drop him which in form player are we going to play in his place, I don't see any.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2002, 03:03:17 pm »
The thing with Danny is that it must be two months since he passed to a red shirt. His passing ability on a technical level is superb, but he just panics and hits the ball anywhere.

He has ability, desire and is a goal threat.

However, he seems LESS than the sum of his parts. I can't work it out. As a player, he has everything, bar pace. But watch him play, and it's like Oyvind Leonhardsen reincarnated.

On top of that, Stevie's passing has gone awry, but the difference is that he, in a way (along with Mickey) carries the teams 'hopes'. Gerrard has the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Oh, and NIRED, this is a forum for 'Liverpool Fans' to discuss their thoughts on certain players. If fans could sit in the pubs around Anfield in the 70s and say 'that Souness looks a bit a shit...' then we can certainly discuss current players on a forum. What the hell is a forum for? To come on and say everything is rosy in the garden?

Nothing fucks me off more than someone preaching that we shouldn't be saying this or that, as it's disrespectful. I pay £500 for a season ticket, and I'll say what the fuck I want, and so will anyone else who uses this forum regularly. I've seen nothing written hear that is abusive or OTT about Danny.

hoonin

nRe: Average Danny Murphy
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2002, 04:55:49 pm »
Nothing fucks me off more than someone preaching that we shouldn't be saying this or that, as it's disrespectful. I pay £500 for a season ticket, and I'll say what the fuck I want, and so will anyone else who uses this forum regularly. I've seen nothing written hear that is abusive or OTT about Danny.

Blimey Paul!! Never know you use language like that before! I hope you dont use that at matches, you've seen the signs right ; ;)  ;D

Agreed though, nothing wrong with getting it out of your system after a match, then drop it.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2002, 12:35:22 am »
Danny is average? I don't think so.

I don't think the Tricky Reds have any other player like Danny, When he is on blob, He reads the game so well and makes runs for others to create more room and open teams up.  (Newcastle away) for example.

For some reason, and its been this way for years and years we tend to critise local players when things don't work out right.

All I can say is support Danny while he needs it most, he will come good again, he does have the potential to become something very special.

My concern is that instead of one touch football, we tend to take two or three touches trying to make that perfect pass.

Time will tell.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2002, 12:45:17 am »
"we tend to critise local players when things don't work out right."
I think you'll find it's exactly the oppostie, and that they have to play extremely poor for us to criticise them, take Robbie Fowler for example. Danny is playing extremely poor at the moment and that is why he is getting criticised, and it's a similar story with Carra.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2002, 01:03:59 am »
OK look at Sammy Lee for instance, he used to get murdered by the crowd for playing the ball sideways instead of taking a gamble and playing it up front.

Local players usually get hammered when things don't work out right, its been that way for years and years, I don't know why.

Pheeny

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2002, 01:19:10 am »
OK look at Sammy Lee for instance, he used to get murdered by the crowd for playing the ball sideways instead of taking a gamble and playing it up front.

Local players usually get hammered when things don't work out right, its been that way for years and years, I don't know why.
Yea that used to annoy me when people got on Sammy's back he was my favourite player.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2002, 01:34:29 am »
Its really true, for some strange reason when things are going wrong we always tend to knock the local players.

I take your point that Robbie and Carra are exceptions to this rule.  

why do you think this is??

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2002, 02:17:44 am »
I reckon it's definately 'cause they're working class lads who've made it. They're also a bit jack the lad type characters, having press scandals and that. People often say that if Owen was caught shagging two hookers in a hotel room he would then get the unconditional love that Robbie had. Total bollocks I know, but there's some truth in it! ::)

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2002, 09:00:14 am »
Danny Murphy - average, BULLSHIT!

I was wondering how long it would take me before I came across a thread in support of Danny. Now as I can't really give you an informed opinion of his performances of late so I won't even bother though I have seen 4 or 5 full matches plus highlights which don't count but what I will comment on as I've seen first hand the sort of yo-yo support Murphy seems to get. There was a thread here a while back and I'm guessing it's still around further down the line, that gave weight to some excellent performances Murphy had put in and the general consensus of the thread was very much in agreement.

Before that he was not up to standard(which was very much the general consensus of the official site and some here) then he was bloody great, then well below par, then superb again,then not fit for the Reds which lead me to comment on his support been akin to something you see in a political popularity poll.

Maybe it's just the influx of new Rawk members adding thier opinions to those that have already been aired. Maybe It's the frustration of a bad spell in the Mighty Reds recent run of games. Maybe it's just me. There's abolutely nothing wrong with airing your views, a bit of constructive critisism(no patronism intended) but in regards to Danny Murphy I'm getting a sore fucking neck.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2002, 10:11:43 pm »
Your're right, RedKiwi about the other thread. I contributed to it in praise of Murphy. I think it was around the time of the Blackburn game when Danny was dropped to the bench. At that time, he was going through a purple patch, playing extremely well and full deserved his place in the team. When he came on, he nearly pinched the points for us with the last kick of the game.

Now he's not performing as well and taking some stick. Let me clarify how I see the situation. Danny is a good, but average Premiership player. Good enough to play in most Premiership teams, but in terms of playing for a championship winning team, I see him as no more than a squad player. I don't doubt the bloke's commitment or determination, but if you want to play for a top 3 club, you need to have 'that little bit extra'.

If you compare him with other players that are in similar positions at other challenging clubs, it may be a little clearer. Arsenal have Ljungberg and Pires, Newcastle have Robert and Dyer, Leeds have Kewell and Smith(sometimes), MU have Giggs and Beckham. I know it's abit unfair on Danny, but can you honestly say you believe he gives something more than those players do? I don't.

That's not to say he hasn't justified his place in the team. I've always believed that if a player is playing really well, then keep him in the team. If something's not broke, don't try to fix it. The same way I thought we were wrong to drop Titi, when he seemed to be the only player scoring for us a couple of seasons ago. Fowler justified keeping his place after the hat-trick at Leicester.

Our problem is who do we bring in that is any better? Does Macca have the legs to do Danny's role? Biscan always looks out of his depth playing on the right. Smicer, I would argue is equally inconsistant. If I had to go out on a limb and offer a potential solution (without opening the cheque book) that might give us the same strength and a little more positivity, I'd play Riise on left side of midfield, Hamann in the middle with Macca, Biscan or Redknapp and have Gerrard on the right. I know 99% of fans will disagree with me on that last bit, but this is the way I see it. We have several players that can all play central midfield reasonably well, in other words, although Gerrard might be the best there, the others can all perform at an acceptably high level in the same position. However, Gerrard is the only one that can really play right midfield to a high degree. Macca is too slow, Smicer as I said is not solid enough and fades in every game, Biscan is like a fish out of water in that role, Barmby is injured and inconsistant, whereas Gerrard offers pace, athleticism, strong tackling, tracks back and gets into attacking positions. One of the few times we troubled Arsenal today was when Gerrard whipped in a cross from the right wing. Remember his cross that led to Murphy scoring away to Kyiv and the cross Owen scored from against Blackburn (I think it was Gerrard). Few people will agree with me on this (if any) but I think it would offer more balance to the team.

Too many goals we have conceded lately have originated down our right side ie, Arsenal home and away, Bolton at home, S'hampton away, West Ham away are just some of the ones off the top of my head. If Gerrard was in that role, opposing left midfielders might not be so keen to attack if SG is on that side of the pitch.

Well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it..........for the time being.  ;)

hoonin

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2002, 10:35:14 pm »
Sorry to do this but i am going to change the course of the thread now in response to Steve. I totally agree with what you say about Gerrard. 100%

If you look back over the last year then the majority of Gerrards best performances have come in that right hand side position.

He may not be the quickest player but he had that abiltiy to bring the ball down, knock it past his opponent and use a quick burst to get passed, once he's done that he is capable of getting a good ball into a stiker or m/f running in. He also has a good long range pass, ala Beckham. Getting the ball in the box is no problem for him from the right, be it from a dead ball or on the move.

Out wide also suits another element of his game, that being looking for the short one-two, the pass and move. Its an essesntial part of his game, get the ball to a team mate and surge forward looking for the return in an advanced position.

So much of those traits have been lost since he has returned to the middle of the m/f. Now i'm not suggesting the move has directly resulted in this (i think he is just lacking form and confidence along with other) but by playing him in the middle are we compromising some of his ability??

Logic says that such as all-round player would be suited to a role in the middle of m/f......based on what we have seen in matches in the last year i would say Gerrards best position at this time (for him and the team) is out on the right. I dont see this as a long term option, but until we get a right-back / right m/f combination working together i dont see any better options down that side.

Right, i cant even remember what this thread was about, i need a beer  :)

Offline ThaRza

• Boys Pen
  • Still a muppet
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2002, 12:51:12 am »
Danny Murphy is in my opinion a good player, I wouldn't say a world class one but he's definitly good enough for the Premiership. If we take todays game for example the problem isn't all Murphy.

How many of you saw one pass from Jamie today, witch wasn't a long ball towards (ehh, no one!). This counterattack policy that PH consistently is trying to pull off on away games isn't ,according to me, the right tactic if you look at our wingers. Both of them where pale and the direct balls ment we couldn't get our team as high up as necessary. We got a good solid midfield with excellent passing ability, why the heck dont we use them???

And aren't you all concerned that we have just one decent shot on goal today, shot by a defender on a counterattack? (don't get me wrong it was a great goal from a magnificent pass). It's just that we really should be able to produce more of this kind of chances..

Offline NIred

• Kemlynite
  • Carra-mainia
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2002, 02:57:56 pm »

Oh, and NIRED, this is a forum for 'Liverpool Fans' to discuss their thoughts on certain players. If fans could sit in the pubs around Anfield in the 70s and say 'that Souness looks a bit a shit...' then we can certainly discuss current players on a forum. What the hell is a forum for? To come on and say everything is rosy in the garden?

Paul I have read many of your views over the years, and I respect most of them.  However you appear to be taking Liverpools current bad form vv personally. I simply was sticking up for a player I really like, as does GH and Sven by the looks of things.  

Nobody is saying everyting is rosy, as it certainly isn't - BUT to jump on one player as many peeps appear to be doing - including yourself is grossly unfair.

Perhaps i was harsh in my assesment of people who slag off Danny, but it just really irritates me. Glad to see other people mentioning how badly the rest of the midfield are playing.

We arent going to defend our way to the title, so lets hope the whole team get a little more creative.

If your Xabi and you know it,
Clap your hands!

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2002, 03:25:00 pm »
does murphy suffer when we play counter-attacking football? we seem to be playing even more C-A footie this season, and he is out of form - coincidence?

like the team, he is lacking form and confidence, but give them time and they will get better.

Although i was hoping we'd go for the league this season (and we are still in with a shout), realistically i suspected this season might be a 'hangover' season from the success of last year. esp when we have to play all the teams we knocked out of the Cups!

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
.Re: Average Danny Murphy
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2002, 08:40:46 pm »
Murphy has proved he is technically a very good player. His form appears to have dipped at present, but it is not as if he is the only one now is it?

He needs some stabilty in position. Him and Gerrard seem to be swapping between middle and right midfield, which isn't doing either of them any good. If he is to rediscover his form he needs a settled run in the team, and some backing.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2002, 12:19:13 am »
Danny is average? I don't think so.

I don't think the Tricky Reds have any other player like Danny, When he is on blob, He reads the game so well and makes runs for others to create more room and open teams up.  (Newcastle away) for example.

For some reason, and its been this way for years and years we tend to critise local players when things don't work out right.

All I can say is support Danny while he needs it most, he will come good again, he does have the potential to become something very special.

My concern is that instead of one touch football, we tend to take two or three touches trying to make that perfect pass.

Time will tell.

Time told, well done Danny Murphy, I hate seeing any Liverpool player getting booed off like last week.  If you ever read these sites (Danny) I want you to know from me you have what it takes.

Keep your head down and work hard, it will all come good in the end.

Theres only one United and thats a chocolate biscuit.

8)

MOTTMAN.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2002, 12:27:35 am »
Danny's average for the last two Old trafford games is played two scored two. Average is 100% per game  ;D

Offline Sam_Nyrie

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2002, 12:40:55 am »
Average ...

You've got to be joking! or was tonight's goal another fluke, like the one against Newcastle or MU last season.

Danny Murphy works his socks off and while he may not be the most accomplished midfielder he's certainly worth his place, in my view [a view I've put forward on several other threads, before tonight's game!].

I do take the point about his passing going astray on occasions, but I go along with the earlier comments about the local lads bearing the brunt of the criticism when things go wrong.

I wasn't at the game tonight, but watched it live and saw the pre-match interview with DM and I was very impressed with the way he handled Saturday's jeers. I've always been a fan of his, and I'm an even bigger one now!
I said to my mate in the pub, "your round" ..... He said, "so are you, ya fat git!"

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2002, 02:14:29 am »
Believe you me, I screamed when he scored, and spent the final 8 minutes biting my nails.  

When the final whistle went, I screamed yet again and cried.  I felt such elation, that the game was over.  

You couldn't have bottled the look on Danny's face at the end of that game.  It was a site to behold.  Especially after the reception that he got when he was brought off at the weekend.

Good on ya la'.  I luv you  :-* :-*

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2002, 02:32:10 am »
I have always thought danny is a quality member of the first team squad, I personally don't think he should start as many games as he does but I think he'll keep getting the nod against manure for a while.  ;D

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2002, 04:03:53 am »
I have to agree with NI Red that the whole midfield has been sub-par recently, but with today's move of Riise to the LM spot, they seemed to be able to take more possession ball, and to take it to ManUre.

The whole midfield seemed to be better with that change - nothing to do with Murph.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.