Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 42733 times)

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:52 am »
Everything is a factor, otherwise they wouldn't ask you. Did you try putting down other named drivers mate?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2013, 10:05:06 am »
Nope.  Its entirely down to occupation and I've been told as much.  Teacher friends of ours (who're actually slightly younger) living in the same area get quotes around £300 easily.  Some companies refuse to insure musicians and others photographers. We're limited in who we can take out a policy with as they have to agree to insure both of us.

The problem with musicians and photographers is similar.  In one respect, there's an increased likelihood that you will be transporting expensive but mobile equipment.  When we go out for a shoot, the contents of our car are worth more than the actual car!  This, according to insurance companies, creates a higher risk of break in.  Also, in terms of photographers, paps tend to make a lot of claims.  It doesn't matter that my missus is not a pap, and that her equipment is separately insured against car break-ins.... insurance companies won't take that on board.

I'm actually shocked that people on here don't realise that occupation is a big factor in determining your car insurance?!

Try this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

Is there anything else you could list your jobs as? E.g. A composer only pays 80% of a musician

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
Yep Occupation plays a major part in your quote for insurance

The Martin Lewis site has "alternative" occupations you can put down - here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:04 am »
Insurance really pisses me off as it does a lot of others, but what I can't work out and I've had this out with a couple of companies is where they try to make out that you're really saving with them with a NCB.

Lets say my current premium is £500 a year and I'm on full NCB, call it 60% (lets not be greedy)...are the insurance companies trying to tell me that if I didn't have any NCB, that my annual premium would be £1250?

I've spoken with an insurance company about this and they say "oh it doesn't work like that"....oh, well that's convenient! It's a f***ing percentage being taken off your premium for being a good boy....WHY doesn't it work like that? I'd like this industry to have a regulator snoop about for a while do a massive investigation into it! Fuming!!

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:01 am »
Because its covering business use for me it doesn't really help to put down another named driver.  Even for non-business usage I get ridiculous quotes.  I've written composer where they've let me in the past.  Hasn't made that much difference.  Its the photography occupation that's doing the damage I think.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:07 am »
Always thought your post code and age where the biggest factors. Occupation is a factor especially if you have the potential for huge future earning e.g. Footballer, cos if a footballer gets permanently injured in a crash them the payout will be enormous, hence huge premiums.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »
According to most resources I've read, occupation is a huge factor.  Be it high risk jobs, jobs where your car is left in undesirable areas in undesirable times,  or because your time off work would mean a large payout.

I just did a few calculations online there out of curiosity.  If I was a music teacher I could save £150 a year!!!!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 08:35:23 pm »
According to most resources I've read, occupation is a huge factor.  Be it high risk jobs, jobs where your car is left in undesirable areas in undesirable times,  or because your time off work would mean a large payout.

I just did a few calculations online there out of curiosity.  If I was a music teacher I could save £150 a year!!!!

Anyone who works in an establishment where alcohol is served gets walloped. I used to work in a hotel and got whacked because of it. We were all pissheads there, the amount of free ale we got hold of was unreal. I'd assume musicians get the same treatment, due to performing in licensed premises, whether pubs, bars or theatres.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »

Esure, Sheila's wheels and First Alternative (All Esure group) don't use ooccupation to set price, but there are some occupations they just won't cover such as private hire taxi drivers, footballers, musicians etc. That's the only reason they ask.

(I used to work for them)

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2013, 04:10:28 am »
.............. Can't see why profession should matter.......

Profession matters a great deal to insurance companies for varied reasons.

Historically, musicians, actors and anybody employed in the entertainment industry have a hard time getting insurance because of the late hours they keep, the high mileage they invariably do, plus the added risk that they might well be carrying passengers who are also musicians / actors and if they are responsible for an injury-accident the pay-out could potentially be huge.  So they are a big risk.

Jockeys pay inflated premiums because of the huge distances they have to drive between jobs hence a greater risk.

Anyone in the licensing trade pays extra premiums because of the likelihood of them driving after having had a drink.

Doctors pay higher premiums because of the risk that they are thinking of other things when they are supposed to be concentrating on their driving. Past insurance claims bear this out.

The point is that insurance companies load premiums for a bunch of reasons including: profession; driving history; age; health record; location of address and whether or not the car is garaged overnight; model of car (a sports car is more likely to be driven at higher speed than a standard model); a heavily modified car is more likely to be stolen for it's parts; whether driver is single or married (a single driver is more of a risk than a married one); the list goes on....................

Tick all the wrong boxes in that lot and your premium leaps skywards.

Lie to reduce your premium and the insurance co. still wins.

They will happily take your money but will refuse to pay out in the case of a claim.

One suggestion that I haven't noticed on this thread is the option to have a camera in the car's cabin which records the driver and the view of the road ahead at all times the car is being driven. Then again you can also agree to have a data recorder fitted to your car to record all speed and movements (similar to a tachograph in trucks.)

It's all a bit too big-brother for my liking but it will seriously reduce your premiums if that is important to you.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:04 am »
Insurance is a rip off, bein car insurance house insurance etc.THe whole thing is one giant rip off.WHen it comes to a claim you can be damn sure that they will do everything in their power to not pay out.They are robbing bastards.Thats the truth.Nothing,even if you think your getting a good deal is a good deal.They are devious little cnuts.Used tow ork for an insurance company when i was between jobs and had to leave as it really pissed me off as to how they would do anything and i mean anything to not have to pay out
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:37 pm »
Our music and photography insurance companies are great.  They pay out so quickly and honestly.  They're really helpful as well.  Makes you feel a lot better forking out for it.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 9, 2013, 02:05:14 pm »
Any reccommendations for a young driver of 19 looking for a first car. Every price I'm looking at for insurance (on a number of cars) is just ridiculous.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 9, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »
Any reccommendations for a young driver of 19 looking for a first car. Every price I'm looking at for insurance (on a number of cars) is just ridiculous.

Have you tried adding older drivers to the policy? Putting down a low annual milage, parking on the road at home etc. Play around with all the options, but it'll still be very dear at 19. What cars are you looking at btw?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 9, 2013, 02:45:54 pm »
I would look into getting cover whereby the driver is not on the road say between 12-5 or whatever time they stipulate, or get one where they add a monitoring gadget so they can study the driving. Probably still cost a fortune but all worth a try. My daughter is due to take her test within the next 2-3 months so I will be looking soon myself, good luck.

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 9, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »
Have you tried adding older drivers to the policy? Putting down a low annual milage, parking on the road at home etc. Play around with all the options, but it'll still be very dear at 19. What cars are you looking at btw?

Nothing with a bigger engine than 1.3l. I'll try adding my mum to the policy. I managed to get a quote from Endsleigh for a 1.25 fiesta for £1700 third party that I was reasonably happy with, but there's a '97 daihatsu charade 1.3 for sale down the road for me really cheap and it's in excellent condition, almost like the day it was bought. They wouldn't give me a quote for that and all the other sites are £2500+

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 9, 2013, 03:38:41 pm »
Nothing with a bigger engine than 1.3l. I'll try adding my mum to the policy. I managed to get a quote from Endsleigh for a 1.25 fiesta for £1700 third party that I was reasonably happy with, but there's a '97 daihatsu charade 1.3 for sale down the road for me really cheap and it's in excellent condition, almost like the day it was bought. They wouldn't give me a quote for that and all the other sites are £2500+

Adding my dad and my girlfriends dad took my quote down by a few hundred when it was already under a thousand so it's well worth doing. I found adding a third driver after that actually put the price up though. The two cheapest cars I've found to insure in my experience is 1.4L petrol Grande Punto, and a 1.9L SDI Skoda Fabia.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #137 on: April 9, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »
£186 fully comp with protected no claims is my latest deal.

Sounds good to me.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 9, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Did you come in just to rub it my face?  >:( haha

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 9, 2013, 04:52:22 pm »
Did you come in just to rub it my face?  >:( haha
Yes :lmao

It's just disgusting how much you have to pay.

I do feel for you (but not so much I won't have a laugh at your expense).

I wonder how long someone challenges them on grounds of age discrimination, it worked with sexual discrimination.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #140 on: April 9, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
Yes :lmao

I'm staying on this thread for a bit...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 9, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »
I'm staying on this thread for a bit...
Nah, I'm on his side really.

W

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 9, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »
only 22 and after paying £240 a month for my last deal (10 months) on a grade 18 listed car, I'm now paying £209 a month for 12 months on a grade 5 listed car, no no claims so made up with a saving of £30 to be honest!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 9, 2013, 08:18:10 pm »
Per month?????!!!!

At 22

Wow, that's really high....what are you driving?
W

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 9, 2013, 08:22:20 pm »
Per month?????!!!!

At 22

Wow, that's really high....what are you driving?

That's also with 2 additional drivers the only reason it's high is I live in a bad area for insurance mate.

Done a future claim taking into account my age ect so when this is up then the insurance goes down by about £100 a month, by which time i should be able to pay it in full anyway.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: April 9, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
Still ridiculously high for that car and at your age... Robbery
W

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 9, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
Aye, could have got it for £180 a month but it's with a box fitted.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 9, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Who's that with? We've just had ours renewal notice go down to £288 from £317 if we stay with Axa, fully comp on an 06 Astra club.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 9, 2013, 09:38:59 pm »
Esure that was...
W

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 9, 2013, 09:40:00 pm »
Esure that was...

Cheers, I'll give them a go and see

Edit : £231 with protected no claims, missus as main with me as additional, Manc postcode.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 09:50:35 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 9, 2013, 10:05:16 pm »
Not too shabby!

I used confused.com.... Saved me about £60
W

Offline qwerty_in_advance

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 9, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
Don't forget Quidco, I just got £38 cash back just for clicking through to Hastings from there website.
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:16 am »
Just gone through moneysupermarket, adding my mum as a named driver. Admiral have offered me £1,170 fully comp!!

Can cut it down to £983 TPFAT. Probably do that as I save almost as much as the car is worth!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:13:39 am by RichardM »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:29 am »
Just gone through moneysupermarket, adding my mum as a named driver. Admiral have offered me £1,170 fully comp!!

Can cut it down to £983 TPFAT. Probably do that as I save almost as much as the car is worth!

;) Get in mate

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:05 am »
;) Get in mate

I'm sure there's a joke at my expense in here somewhere but I can't find it...  ¬_¬

;D

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2013, 09:47:58 am »
I'm sure there's a joke at my expense in here somewhere but I can't find it...  ¬_¬

;D

Haha nah mate. I just said up the page that adding an older driver would help

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:11 am »
Haha nah mate. I just said up the page that adding an older driver would help

It was the winky face that made me suspicious. Thanks for the advice though, made a huge difference :)

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:08 am »
It was the winky face that made me suspicious. Thanks for the advice though, made a huge difference :)

Saying we're on the topic though, is she hot?  ;D

Offline RichardM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:42 am »
Saying we're on the topic though, is she hot?  ;D

You're treading on thin ice...

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan