Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 396229 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #280 on: March 1, 2014, 01:09:17 am »
What's this to do with Qatar 2022 world cup?  ;D

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #281 on: March 1, 2014, 01:13:15 am »

I'm not sure mate, I was confused for a while. I was looking at Xxavi's line ups thinking "Is he mad? Xabi will be about 42 by the time the Qatar WC comes around".

Then I realised it must be about the upcoming one. Then again, Xavi could probably still play until then

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: March 1, 2014, 01:13:36 am »
Oops, I thought this is where 2014 WC is discussed. Let me move this out.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:35 pm »
Qatar World Cup 2022 investigation: former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and family paid millions

Documents appear to show a senior Fifa official and his family were paid millions by a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the country won its bid for the 2022 World Cup

A senior Fifa official and his family were paid almost $2 million (£1.2m) from a Qatari firm linked to the country’s successful bid for the 2022 World Cup, The Telegraph can disclose.

Jack Warner, the former vice-president of Fifa, appears to have been personally paid $1.2 million (£720,000) from a company controlled by a former Qatari football official shortly after the decision to award the country the tournament.

Payments totalling almost $750,000 (£450,000) were made to Mr Warner’s sons, documents show. A further $400,000 (£240,000) was paid to one of his employees.

It is understood that the FBI is now investigating Trinidad-based Mr Warner and his alleged links to the Qatari bid, and that the former Fifa official’s eldest son, who lives in Miami, has been helping the inquiry as a co-operating witness.

The awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was one of the most controversial decisions in sporting history. The intense summer heat in the desert nation has raised the prospect of the tournament being moved to the winter for the first time.

Although Qatar has repeatedly denied wrongdoing during the bidding process, it has long been suspected that the decision was flawed, and several members of the Fifa committee have faced corruption allegations.

It can be disclosed that a company owned by Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Fifa executive member for Qatar, appeared to pay $1.2 million (£720,000) to Mr Warner in 2011.

A note from one of Mr Warner’s companies, Jamad, to Mr Bin Hammam’s firm, Kemco, requested $1.2 million in payment for work carried out between 2005 and 2010.

The document is dated December 15, 2010, two weeks after Qatar won the right to host the tournament, and states that the money is “payable to Jack Warner”.

Mr Warner’s two sons and an employee were paid a further $1 million (£600,000) by the same Qatari company.

One document states that payments are to “offset legal and other expenses”, but a separate letter claims that more than $1 million cover “professional services provided over the period 2005-2010”.

At least one bank in the Cayman Islands initially refused to process the payment amid fears over the legality of the money transfer. The money was eventually processed via a bank in New York – a transaction that is understood to have come to the attention of the FBI. A well-placed source said: “These payments need to be properly investigated. The World Cup is the most important event in football and we need to be confident that decisions have been made for the right reasons. There are lots of questions that still need to be answered.”

Mr Warner was one of the most experienced members of the executive committee until he stood down in 2011 and served as vice-president of the organisation for 14 years. He was one of the 22 people who decided to award Russia the 2018 World Cup and Qatar the 2022 tournament. It is understood that the FBI is investigating payments to Mr Warner and that one of his family members has been acting as a “co-operating witness”.

The investigators are thought to be focusing on Mr Warner’s American and Grand Cayman accounts.

Michael Garcia, the joint chief investigator of Fifa’s ethics committee, is also investigating irregularities surrounding the bidding process. He is expected to deliver his report to the committee later this year.

The disclosures will add to concerns that some Fifa executive committee members were not impartial when they cast their votes in December 2010. England suffered a humiliating defeat when it secured only two votes to host the 2018 World Cup and was eliminated after the first round.

Even before the decision was made, there were persistent allegations of corruption. Six weeks before the vote in Zurich, a World Cup official was caught in an undercover investigation agreeing to sell his vote to one of England’s rivals. A second member of the same committee was recorded asking for £1.5 million for a sports academy. Both officials were suspended, meaning that 22 people voted instead of the usual 24.

A whistleblower also claimed that one of the bidders had bought the votes of three African executive committee members. The former Fifa employee later withdrew the allegations.

Following England’s defeat, a parliamentary committee held an inquiry into the failed bid. Lord Triesman, the bid’s former chairman, gave evidence stating that four Fifa executive committee members had asked for business deals and favours when negotiating their support. One of those he named was Mr Warner.

The Labour peer said that the then Fifa vice-president had asked for money to build an education centre in Trinidad, with the cash to be channelled through him, and £500,000 to buy World Cup television rights for Haiti.

In June 2011, Mr Warner resigned from all football posts after he was accused of facilitating bribes to members of the Caribbean football union on behalf of Mohamed Bin Hammam, who was standing against Sepp Blatter to be Fifa president. A report by the Fifa ethics committee found that there was “compelling” evidence that Mr Warner was “an accessory to corruption”.

Mr Warner was caught on tape apparently urging fellow Fifa officials to accept cash gifts from Mr Bin Hammam, the disgraced former presidential candidate.

The documents seen by The Telegraph raise further questions about Mr Warner’s activities. One email, which appears to have been sent by one of Mr Warner’s employees, shows that the staff member personally received $412,000 from the Qatari company and that Mr Warner’s son, Daryll, was paid $432,000. Daryan, his other son, was paid $316,000 via a company called We Buy Houses.

Regarding the payments to Daryan, the email states that he was “contracted … based on his understanding, contacts and history with the regional players who make up an integral part of the defence team … pursuant to Fifa bribery allegations. As stated in our letter of June 11, 2011, the value of US $316,000, and this is an initial deposit to offset legal and other expenses related to the matter.”

In July, a different email shows that “monies in the amount of $1.2 million” were wire transferred to J&D International, another of Mr Warner’s companies, by the same Qatari firm. It states that this is to “offset legal and other related expenses associated with regard to an ongoing matter”.

Mr Warner and his family declined to comment. A spokesman for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup organising committee said: “The 2022 bid committee strictly adhered to Fifa’s bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics.

“The supreme committee for delivery and legacy and the individuals involved in the 2022 bid committee are unaware of any allegations surrounding business dealings between private individuals.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10704290/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-investigation-former-Fifa-vice-president-Jack-Warner-and-family-paid-millions.html
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:28 pm »
::) Quelle Surprise

Really hope the decision gets fucked off soon

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:12 pm »
It won't change.  Blatter will get elected again after saying he would retire when all this blew up.

The England party said they had been asked for bribes and batter accused them of making it up and of sour grapes.

What a surprise that this comes to light.

It will go ahead though, and it's an utter sham
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2014, 12:01:58 am »
"'We can't expect anything from FIFA, where we have a blackmailer called Valcke and a corrupt thief and son of a bitch called Blatter." - Romario.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2014, 01:39:50 am »
Is anyone really surprised? Qatar was never getting the world cup without some money changing pockets. £2m is peanuts for them and I'm surprised its not more to be honest. Russia and Qatar chosen for "footballing reasons"... Riiiiiiiiight

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2014, 02:15:52 pm »
Is anyone really surprised? Qatar was never getting the world cup without some money changing pockets. £2m is peanuts for them and I'm surprised its not more to be honest. Russia and Qatar chosen for "footballing reasons"... Riiiiiiiiight

I bet that 2m is the tip of the iceberg. About time someone did some investigation into this

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2014, 06:25:20 pm »
I bet that 2m is the tip of the iceberg. About time someone did some investigation into this

Ha some journo did and as a result england lost its WC bid. Whats so depressing is that unless it can be proven that something illegal happened nothing will be done, its not like they are accountable to anyone. I wish someone would choke blatter, warner and the rest of the greedy b*stards with their own (alleged) bribes.

Offline BeepBeepImAJeep

• Smokes his hy-dro on the d-low. Drives to the beach. Top down, loud sounds, sees his peeps.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »
I tried to wikipedia Jack Warner to find out who he was and was met with:

2.2 Corruption allegations
2.2.1 Black market ticket sales
2.2.2 Request for personal payments
2.2.3 2018 World Cup bid
2.2.4 FIFA World Cup television rights
2.2.5 Haiti earthquake funds
2.2.6 Fraud, mismanagement allegations

I just closed the window. Where do you start.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2014, 07:56:18 am »
Wouldn’t be too surprised if corporate sponsors end up pushing FIFA to move this down to a northern hemisphere summer WC in Australia.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2014, 09:07:53 am »
Wouldn’t be too surprised if corporate sponsors end up pushing FIFA to move this down to a northern hemisphere summer WC in Australia.

At least you'd qualify. ;)

Would be better all round though with a great infrastructure and stadiums already built and a well run country capable of hosting big events....so clearly it won't happen.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:23 am »

Dunno, I don't think FIFA will dare risk being taken to court by Qatar, especially as they know where the bodies (or dirty monies) are buried.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2014, 12:38:15 pm »
That WC 2022 organisation really should be snatched from them and bidding for hosting re-opened.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:58 pm »
It just boggles my mind to this day how they still get away with being so openly corrupt.

Blatter could come out to the next presentation wiping his arse with £50 notes and shout HAHA I'M CORRUPT YOU FUCKERS and he'd still get re-elected and nothing would happen
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2014, 05:08:39 pm »
That WC 2022 organisation really should be snatched from them and bidding for hosting re-opened.

It should be. But it won't. I hate FIFA.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »
Blatter could come out to the next presentation wiping his arse with £50 notes and shout HAHA I'M CORRUPT YOU FUCKERS and he'd still get re-elected and nothing would happen
More possibility of this happening than the 2022 World Cup taken away from Qatar.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:34 pm »
I'm so happy Brazilian's have the good sense to protest against Fifa. Although I'm born in Brazil it wouldn't be a bad result for football if Brazil goes out early and anti-FIFA sentiment isn't allowed to be brushed under the carpet by a few positive results on the pitch. I really hope (non-violent) protests dominate the headlines over the course of the world cup. Its about time FIFA has some shit thrown at it for the corrupt bandits they are.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2014, 02:14:13 am »
Very good article on who should have hosted the World Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10705160/Qatar-World-Cup-investigation-Imagine-if-Australia-won-2022-bid-a-sports-mad-country-wanting-to-put-on-party.html

Imagine a World Cup in an honest, welcoming, sports-mad country, whose emerging football league would be transformed by local stadia hosting global superstars. Imagine a World Cup where organisers are motivated primarily by a desire to put on a great party for the world. Imagine a World Cup in Australia.

Australia bid for the right to host 2022 but were outmuscled by Qatar, who won by a bizarre landslide, ahead of the United States, South Korea and (separately) Japan at the Dec 2, 2010 vote in Zurich. It was laughable that such a serious bid as Australia should finish last. It summed up Fifa's tainted voting system that the most legitimate bid went out in the first round. It is no surprise that half of the 22 ExCo members involved have since stepped down, some of them totally discredited. This was the vote that probity forgot.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2014, 02:38:39 am »
Very good article on who should have hosted the World Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10705160/Qatar-World-Cup-investigation-Imagine-if-Australia-won-2022-bid-a-sports-mad-country-wanting-to-put-on-party.html

The sad reality is that World Cup host nations aren't chosen based on potential growth and enjoyment of the fans. The only deciding factor is money.

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:23 am »
I may be the odd one out, but i think it's fantastic Qatar are getting the World Cup. Having spent a fair bit of my time in the middle east, this is brilliant.

Not for one minute, do i condone the unelected regime in Qatar, or for that matter the regimes in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, etc but this will only bring attention to them to the world, and hopefully will change them for a better with the focus on them ... especially in regards to sexuality, oppression of women, democracy, etc

This will be the first world cup in a muslim region, and will bring a massive new generation of fans to the footballing world.

This will be a fantastic world cup, in terms of infrustructure it will be stunning. Just go look at the stadium designs, it's mind blowing. These aren't just pipe dream plans, you tend to find in these states that they are capable of spending insane amount of moneys to bring projects to reality.

All this talk of the weather is a load of nonsense. Most matches will be in the evening with temperatures around 25. Secondly, look at the stadium plans, a few stadiums are indoor air conditioned. Training facilities are also air conditioned. Most of the stadiums will be in the shade. Compare this to a World Cup match i attended during the USA World Cup in 94 ... baking hot sun, no shade for fans, matches played during the mid day, etc.

This will be one of the most fantasitic World Cup's of all time. Go to Dubai, look at what they achieved in a few years of investment !

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:50 am »
I may be the odd one out, but i think it's fantastic Qatar are getting the World Cup. Having spent a fair bit of my time in the middle east, this is brilliant.

Not for one minute, do i condone the unelected regime in Qatar, or for that matter the regimes in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, etc but this will only bring attention to them to the world, and hopefully will change them for a better with the focus on them ... especially in regards to sexuality, oppression of women, democracy, etc

This will be the first world cup in a muslim region, and will bring a massive new generation of fans to the footballing world.

This will be a fantastic world cup, in terms of infrustructure it will be stunning. Just go look at the stadium designs, it's mind blowing. These aren't just pipe dream plans, you tend to find in these states that they are capable of spending insane amount of moneys to bring projects to reality.

All this talk of the weather is a load of nonsense. Most matches will be in the evening with temperatures around 25. Secondly, look at the stadium plans, a few stadiums are indoor air conditioned. Training facilities are also air conditioned. Most of the stadiums will be in the shade. Compare this to a World Cup match i attended during the USA World Cup in 94 ... baking hot sun, no shade for fans, matches played during the mid day, etc.

This will be one of the most fantasitic World Cup's of all time. Go to Dubai, look at what they achieved in a few years of investment !

Some valid points. Personally I can't understand why FIFA would choose a country to host the world cup where so much money will be wasted on stadia that will never again be used after the world cup. Just look at what has happened to South Africa's stadiums and the pointless constructions of new stadiums in small rural cities which don't even have professional football teams in Brazil. I think the protests there are rightfully being aimed at government and Fifa for blowing public funds at these projects when they could be much better utilized to build schools, hospitals, and other infrastructure. Once the world cup is over though every thing will be forgotten and FIFA will just move on to their next money making country.

Offline Rafas Hand Signals

• Boys Pen
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2014, 06:13:51 am »
Russia and Qatar chosen for "footballing reasons"... Riiiiiiiiight
You do know that Qatar has millions of fanatical footie fans, far more (given its size) than Australia or USA? I think it's a great decision to hold the WC IN Qatar.  Shouldn't read everything in the s*n mate.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #305 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:37 am »
You do know that Qatar has millions of fanatical footie fans, far more (given its size) than Australia or USA? I think it's a great decision to hold the WC IN Qatar.  Shouldn't read everything in the s*n mate.
They have absolutely no use for 12 yet-to-be-build state-of-the art stadiums beyond the world cup though. What an enormous waste of £3bn that will be.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2014, 06:20:22 am »
At least the world cup in Qatar will be ready in time, and you wont be robbed at gun point walking down the street. Every host country has had to pay off someone to get the gig. This is how every contract gets won, happens everywhere, you have to oil the wheels to make them turn.
Also, world cup over christmas. Have your turkey, put the Telly on, instead of a 1960s james bond movie, you get a world cup semi final...Not bad. They should have thought of it earlier.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2014, 06:38:03 am »
They really don't. It's a country of almost exactly 2 million people, and I'd wager one or two aren't fans of the beautiful game, so it seems likely they don't have millions of fanatical footie fans.

Qatar is a country that has 250,000 citizens - roughly half the population of Liverpool proper.

It is thoroughly embarrassing for a number of reasons that they're hosting the world cup. Don't hurt yourself defending it.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 22, 2014, 06:38:49 am »

• Boys Pen
« Reply #309 on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:43 am »
They have absolutely no use for 12 yet-to-be-build state-of-the art stadiums beyond the world cup though. What an enormous waste of £3bn that will be.
Ermmm what about tournaments like the Asia Cup? Athletics competitions? The last Asia Cup in Doha was a fantastic success a few years ago where stadia were regularly filled to capacity. Qatar is a far from perfect location ( no place is) but having lived there for donkey's years it's not as bad as the tabloids would have you believe.

• Boys Pen
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:42 am »
They really don't. It's a country of almost exactly 2 million people, and I'd wager one or two aren't fans of the beautiful game, so it seems likely they don't have millions of fanatical footie fans.

Qatar is a country that has 250,000 citizens - roughly half the population of Liverpool proper.

It is thoroughly embarrassing for a number of reasons that they're hosting the world cup. Don't hurt yourself defending it.
Did you ever attend any Asia Cup footy matches a few years ago? No, I thought you didn't as in the eyes of the British media it didn't exist. Why do you think the likes of jazeera sports pay millions to get footy coverage? Keep reading the tabloids.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 22, 2014, 06:48:16 am »
I didn't attend any Asia Cup matches a few years ago. You've got me there.

Having read your compelling arguments I now believe Qatar hosting the World Cup probably makes sense. I'm sorry I was mistaken.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
How many millions? It's entire population appears to be just over 2 million.

Offline pa

• humbug
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2014, 06:54:02 am »
Did you ever attend any Asia Cup footy matches a few years ago? No, I thought you didn't as in the eyes of the British media it didn't exist. Why do you think the likes of jazeera sports pay millions to get footy coverage? Keep reading the tabloids.

I just repeat: there are 250.000 citizens in the bloody "country".
Have you watched their league football? Typical attendances are a few hundred spectators.

• Boys Pen
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2014, 06:54:46 am »
I didn't attend any Asia Cup matches a few years ago. You've got me there.

Having read your compelling arguments I now believe Qatar hosting the World Cup probably makes sense. I'm sorry I was mistaken.
The point I'm trying to make is that you must have experienced sporting/footy events in Qatar to make valid arguments instead of sat 2000 miles away with a copy of the daily mail on your lap.

• Boys Pen
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2014, 06:57:46 am »
I just repeat: there are 250.000 citizens in the bloody "country".
Have you watched their league football? Typical attendances are a few hundred spectators.
And millions of fans will flock from GCC countries once the WC starts...stadiums will get filled to capacity....just like what happened  at the Asia cup a few years ago.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2014, 06:58:02 am »
The point I'm trying to make is that you must have experienced sporting/footy events in Qatar to make valid arguments instead of sat 2000 miles away with a copy of the daily mail on your lap.
First the scum, now the Daily Mail.

Here are the World Bank figures. How many millions of football supporters do you estimate Qatar has again?

• Boys Pen
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2014, 07:02:11 am »
First the scum, now the Daily Mail.

Here are the World Bank figures. How many millions of football supporters do you estimate Qatar has again?
Sorry I should have mentioned millions of footie fans in the GCC region instead of Qatar. Daily mail, s*n, express etc they're all for the uneducated masses easily brainwashed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:06:28 am by Rafas Hand Signals »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2014, 07:10:20 am »
Ermmm what about tournaments like the Asia Cup? Athletics competitions? The last Asia Cup in Doha was a fantastic success a few years ago where stadia were regularly filled to capacity. Qatar is a far from perfect location ( no place is) but having lived there for donkey's years it's not as bad as the tabloids would have you believe.

You don't need 12 stadiums for an athletics competition or Asia cup that will be held there once every 5-10 years. Concerts can partly cover costs but i doubt they'll have enough local demand or even supply to fill a stadium 50 times a year.

And don't forget the maintenance costs. It was recently estimated that the running costs for a stadium in Brazil will require at least 38 domestic football games, IN ADDITION TO 50-60 international level events like concerts. I for once can't see how those stadiums won't end up being an endless money pit until they are eventually decommissioned and demolished.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:30 am »

At least they don’t have any crowd violence.  ::)

Lone spectator in Qatar’s Stars League match likely to raise concerns

Amid international outcry over FIFA’s choice of Qatar as the venue of the 2022 World Cup for its scorching summer heat and its reported mistreatment of foreign workers, the small Gulf state is likely to face another challenge, and that is attendance.

A recent match in Qatar’s Stars League between al-Gharaffa and al-Kharaitiyat sports clubs was reportedly attended only by one spectator!

The football enthusiast was caught on camera siting alone and surrounded by hundreds of empty seats.

A video clip of the empty stadium circulated on the internet was the subject of mocking among Arab internet users.

Some sarcastically claimed that in Qatar the number of players in the field is always bigger than the attendance. Others suggested that the lone spectator should’ve been invited to partake in the game.

Qatar’s population is estimated at about 1.8 million, with the vast majority being foreigners. During the 2010 World Cup in South Africa about 3.2 million of seats (92 percent of the total available) were filled.

A Foreign Policy article in July 2013 suggested that “either a lot of people are going to have to go to Qatar to match that figure, or the Qataris are each going to have to attend a lot of matches.”

Last Update: Thursday, 21 November 2013 KSA 01:27 - GMT 22:27

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/sports/2013/11/21/Lone-spectator-in-Qatar-s-Stars-League-match-likely-to-raise-concerns.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.