Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2012282 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2016, 07:20:39 pm »
Come on then,  own up,  who doubted him?  And I know there were loads of you!!

I would say it's more symptomatic about how a player is deemed awful after too short a period in the game, as Firmino was earlier on this season. A few not so great good performance and he'll go back to being shit, as Sakho is being labelled right now.

Looking forward to seeing him work with Coutinho and Sturridge under Klopp, could be one heck of a triumvirate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2016, 07:37:05 pm »
Ahhhhh... The good old days when he wasn't a patch on Nikola Jelavic...

The same Nikica Jelavic who's just joined a Chinese team for around £2m  ;D

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:54 pm »
Because I like the odd stat here and there I put both him and Sterling into the comparison matrix on Squawka with what I consider to be the 4 main stats for comparing attacking players: goals scored, assists, chances created and key passes. In every single one (per 90), Firmino comes out on top. Now, I know that it's not the be-all and end-all of comparisons. But if we consider that he didn't have a particularly great start to the season, was adjusting to the league, was injured and has been playing with teammates of lesser quality than Sterling, then I would say he's performed pretty well.

He also cost at least £20 million less than Sterling did. It's strange to think how many pundits have been praising Sterling this year whilst simultaneously questioning how effective a signing Firmino has been. Still, I suppose that's the standard of punditry in this country.
Bad comparison, Sterling is 3 years younger
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2016, 07:52:27 pm »
Just keep bringing those goals and assists, and I'm sure even the most ardent of critics will begin to look past the under hit pass or two.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2016, 07:55:55 pm »
Just keep bringing those goals and assists, and I'm sure even the most ardent of critics will begin to look past the under hit pass or two.
Yip. Luis was pretty shit sometimes with his passing or even his finishing, but he performed where it mattered. Firmino will not reach those heights but if he keeps delivering end product, he can underhit passes all he wants.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »
Some of the comparisons to Luis are a bit ludicrous. There is nobody in this world who wants to win a football match as much as Luis does. Nobody more competitive than him either. For a long time I thought Ronaldo was the most hardworking footballer but Luis beats him in that too. Bob will do well here but he is no Luis.
YNWA

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »
Some of the comparisons to Luis are a bit ludicrous. There is nobody in this world who wants to win a football match as much as Luis does. Nobody more competitive than him either. For a long time I thought Ronaldo was the most hardworking footballer but Luis beats him in that too. Bob will do well here but he is no Luis.
Yip. Luis was pretty shit sometimes with his passing or even his finishing, but he performed where it mattered. Firmino will not reach those heights but if he keeps delivering end product, he can underhit passes all he wants.

Really struggle to see why people don't understand comparisons sometimes. They are "comparisons" after all- not mirror-images.
As some unknown person once said: "Our real problem is that we listen to reply- not to understand."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2016, 09:26:23 pm »

Really struggle to see why people don't understand comparisons sometimes. They are "comparisons" after all- not mirror-images.
As some unknown person once said: "Our real problem is that we listen to reply- not to understand."

Was not talking about your post at all, mate. Just a belated reply on my part to some of the posts I read few weeks ago. There has been a misunderstanding here  :) .
YNWA

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2016, 09:56:53 pm »
We have been spoiled in mercurial talent in the last 10 years despite our disappointment in medals collected. Firmino is a lovely player to have he is a hard worker and is a danger with and without the ball. I still feel we haven't seen his best and that will come next season but anything he does this year is a bonus to me. Coutinho,Sturridge and Firmino for the rest of the season. That would be such a boost for Hendo,Can,Clyne,Moreno,Benteke etc

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2016, 12:55:15 am »
We have been spoiled in mercurial talent in the last 10 years

Not sure I agree, to be honest.

The number of 'mercurial talents' we've had, you can probably count on both hands over the span of a decade. We've them, no doubt. But we've at best always been 1-2 'mercurial' players short of being a truly title challenging team. 2013-14 we were probably just abou there in terms of quality, but Suarez was worth two top players by himself.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2016, 01:26:06 am »
The same Nikica Jelavic who's just joined a Chinese team for around £2m  ;D

A 2nd division Chinese team, I bet Luis can't do it on cold Wednesday night in Beijing.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2016, 05:17:51 am »
never had any doubts but watching him play in Germany he did seem a bit more aggressive in his play ?
Don't you think that he seemed more aggressive because Hoffenheim played a more counter attacking style of football, sitting deeper rather than pushing up and pressing the opposition hard like Klopp wants from us....... I mean if you are sitting deeper and attacking into space, your going to look more committed and aggressive when you do get the opportunity to attack. Then it's back to default mode of sitting deeper and making good use of the ball when your opportunity arises... Firmino proved to like doing this and was successful in his time in Germany.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2016, 07:41:29 am »
Really positive development. He looks more confident and he keeps adding to his goals/assists stats. Long may it continue!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2016, 07:59:40 am »
I had high hopes for the lad and he hasn't disappointed. He's some talent and hopefully will continue his improvement.

Good to see he'll play anywhere for the manager and is versatile as well.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: February 18, 2016, 11:34:06 am »
Got nutmegged in training by the gaffer last night, he's shit.  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EMRPx2bfFXA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EMRPx2bfFXA</a>

Offline pjk66

• Anny Roader
« Reply #335 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:58 am »
that is a class little video.

love seeing that from Klopp

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: February 18, 2016, 12:43:03 pm »
Klopp is like a big kid the way he gets on sometimes,  that big cheesy grin...no wonder the players react well to him,  he is fun and bright! 

I really am loving watching how the front men are going to gel together.  I honestly think that Origi could slot in on the right hand side of the front 4 as he has the pace  and directness and he and DS could interchange.  With a solid 2 behind them that would be really exciting for the rest of the season.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: February 18, 2016, 01:09:47 pm »
firmino surely will have revenge on his mind ;D

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EMRPx2bfFXA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EMRPx2bfFXA</a>

Should've gotten a yellow for the rude sign, the cheeky bugger

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »
Should've gotten a yellow for the rude sign, the cheeky bugger

It's like he did not know was Klopp the boss that he was waving his finger at as if to say "No no"

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2016, 01:47:53 pm »

Klopp's face when he saw Firmino's reaction haha, love our Manager  ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »
Klopp's face when he saw Firmino's reaction haha, love our Manager  ;D

It's exactly what 90% of us would have done.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #342 on: February 18, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
Was watching highlights from his time at Hoffenheim and big thing that stood out was his pin point passes to set up goals. The Emre Can goal from Saturday is one such example. He has a great eye for a pass along with great accuracy to go with it.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: February 18, 2016, 03:05:48 pm »
Was watching highlights from his time at Hoffenheim and big thing that stood out was his pin point passes to set up goals. The Emre Can goal from Saturday is one such example. He has a great eye for a pass along with great accuracy to go with it.

the pass to clyne for what ended up becoming a goal was even better

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2016, 03:23:30 pm »
Was not talking about your post at all, mate. Just a belated reply on my part to some of the posts I read few weeks ago. There has been a misunderstanding here  :) .
Oh sorry.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
the pass to clyne for what ended up becoming a goal was even better

Agree! also that pass that resulted in Mangala own goal against City and then that assist to Coutinho little after that. Perfect passes IMO

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2016, 05:35:29 pm »

He plays some incredible passes in situations you really wouldn't expect a great chance to be carved out

The one that always springs to mind for me was for Benteke against Arsenal

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »
He's building his consistency up. Won't see the besr of him till next season i imagine with hopefully better players around him. But he was worth the money imo. Play him just off sturridge and people will see how good he is.

Look where hoffenheim are without him (17th)
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: February 18, 2016, 06:30:32 pm »
He's building his consistency up. Won't see the besr of him till next season i imagine with hopefully better players around him. But he was worth the money imo. Play him just off sturridge and people will see how good he is.

Look where hoffenheim are without him (17th)

Whilst this season was always a bedding in season i think its very important that he showed the form that he has done since the turn of the year. If he had continued in the same vein as prior to that then we would have all been clamouring for a few more attackers than we actually will now need. Plus it gives the rest of his team mates confidence going into next season.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:40 am »
His good moments have been really good, which gives hope of a bright future.

Needs to find consistency though. Whenever he's played in his 'proper position' as a number 10, he's been largely disappointing.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:20 am »
I thought he was at least decent today - was able to at provide some nice link ups with coutinho.

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2016, 01:16:29 am »
Bring on next season for him, imo. I hope he can show up in the big games when it matters this season, but for me, I'm looking for a lot more. Too inconsistent, and I'm talking within 90 mins, not game to game.

I really, really want him to succeed massively here.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:21 am »
Some days coming up in futureworld when Couhtino and Firmino are both Flame On in the same games at the same time, we are gonna have Brazil in a bottle playing for us. Classic Brazil, you understand, not this David Luiz kind of brand that was being purveyed.  Oh no. The real thing.

I'd like to see them play 8 years together just because . Firmino's just gathering his legs beneath him in England and Football his upside is massive. Peccadillomenot. Probably he can and will improve on literally everything in his game over time up to a really nice level.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2016, 01:59:30 am »
His good moments have been really good, which gives hope of a bright future.

Needs to find consistency though. Whenever he's played in his 'proper position' as a number 10, he's been largely disappointing.

not sure there is any need to box him up, rather judge his appearances based on what has happened this season.....he had a slow start, picked up some inhuries that slowed his ntegration, has not played in a team with all the strikers and forward players fit and firing.....and he has slowly become our most productive player in a league he is playing his first season in, in a team that has struggled.

so it is not important what his 'proper position' is, rather what he is doing on the pitch, and he has got better and more consistent and is producing goals and assists.  so i reckon take him at face value as opposed to what you expect from him.  what he is delivering is promising at the very least.
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2016, 02:00:58 am »
Some days coming up in futureworld when Couhtino and Firmino are both Flame On in the same games at the same time, we are gonna have Brazil in a bottle playing for us. Classic Brazil, you understand, not this David Luiz kind of brand that was being purveyed.  Oh no. The real thing.

I'd like to see them play 8 years together just because . Firmino's just gathering his legs beneath him in England and Football his upside is massive. Peccadillomenot. Probably he can and will improve on literally everything in his game over time up to a really nice level.

Good post Bob and add in Sturridge and we'll see orgasmic footie.  8)

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2016, 03:34:20 am »
He don't look like he will hit Luis level to me, but that is no thing to strike him down with, I like him but he is on the edge of making it but so is Coutinho  and both could become great and make their move to Barca but IF they both want that, they both need to improve and be more consistent.
choose Life.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:55 am »
Bring on next season for him, imo. I hope he can show up in the big games when it matters this season, but for me, I'm looking for a lot more. Too inconsistent, and I'm talking within 90 mins, not game to game.

I really, really want him to succeed massively here.

City, Chelsea and Arsenal weren't big enough?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2016, 07:59:06 am »
City, Chelsea and Arsenal weren't big enough?

Concern would be that they were all as a striker and not any other position. Would we have to choose him or Sturridge?

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2016, 08:03:12 am »
Concern would be that they were all as a striker and not any other position. Would we have to choose him or Sturridge?

Play both as strikers seems the obvious choice? With healthy competition from Origi and in some games all three of them up front.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2016, 08:29:05 am »
I think Firmino sums up the team at the moment, inconsistent, not just from game to game, but during the game. It’s amazing how he can do so many good things during the game but will also do some very basic things poorly. Under-hit passes, jumping out of challenges, poor shot or shot selection.

All of Fimrino’s best games have come with him playing as the lone central striker, but I’m not sure he’s got enough to his game to be the first choice in that position. As an AM I don’t think he’s played particularly well so if we play him and Sturridge together they need to play as a front two which then means shoe-horning other players into positions or formations they may not be comfortable in.

Rather than the 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) we played last night I’d like to see us try the 4-4-2 diamond with Firmino and Sturridge up front together and Coutinho in behind. That formation does unbalance the side out wide but I think it suits the players we have.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."