Author Topic: Llorente & Huntelaar  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Llorente & Huntelaar
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »
Honest question, as I've watched very little of him: how good is Llorente, really?

I mean, watching him on La Liga highlights he looks like a good finisher, quick feet but nothing exceptional, and very good at getting to and then placing headers.  Sort of a Spanish version of Carroll with a little better instinct to get into the box.  I remember watching Atletico in the Europa League last season and thinking that I'd much prefer Muniain, myself.

But from what I read on the internet, Llorente's very highly rated and everyone thinks he's just what we need and miles better than what we have.  So, for those of you who watch him regularly, is he that great?  Or is it a bit of the grass on the other side of the fence?

I totally understand why Huntelaar would be brilliant here.  Suarez and Borini/Sterling either side of a deadly finisher with instincts like KJH and we'd do very, very well (even if it will never happen).  But what does Llorente offer that makes him so prized?
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 04:53:44 am »
^^ I guess Llorente can be described as a Spanish version of Carrol. Carrol in his best form that is. He is a target man, who can also play with his feet, a bit like Koller used to be, may be not as technical.

He wouldn't suit Liverpool, I think. There aren't good crossers of the ball, and Rodgers plays one striker. I feel there needs to be 2-3 plays making runs for Llorente to play efficiently, second strikers, wingers. Huntelaar would play well in Suarez' current role, IMO.

Llorente is indeed one of the better players in his own role in the world, i.e. a big target man. I just don't feel that every team can utilize such a player. I don't think he'd succeed at Barca, for example. Ibra didn't.

PS Saying you prefer Muniain is weird though, as Muniain has a completely different role. You could have as well said you preferred Javi Martinez.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 05:46:14 am »
PS Saying you prefer Muniain is weird though, as Muniain has a completely different role. You could have as well said you preferred Javi Martinez.
I doubt he meant he wanted Muniain as a no. 9 - just that he wanted him more than any other Bilbao player.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 09:26:16 am »
^^ I guess Llorente can be described as a Spanish version of Carrol. Carrol in his best form that is. He is a target man, who can also play with his feet, a bit like Koller used to be, may be not as technical.

He wouldn't suit Liverpool, I think. There aren't good crossers of the ball, and Rodgers plays one striker. I feel there needs to be 2-3 plays making runs for Llorente to play efficiently, second strikers, wingers. Huntelaar would play well in Suarez' current role, IMO.

Llorente is indeed one of the better players in his own role in the world, i.e. a big target man. I just don't feel that every team can utilize such a player. I don't think he'd succeed at Barca, for example. Ibra didn't.

This sums it up for me. Can't see Huntelaar wanting to come here, and I can't see Llorente fitting in. He's decent with the ball at his feet, but this is a bit inconsistent, sometimes he's very tidy and other times, he can look slow and cumbersome. I might get slaughtered for this but I think Llorente is quite overrated, in that I can see Carroll being a better player than he is at the same age.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 06:32:05 am »
I doubt he meant he wanted Muniain as a no. 9 - just that he wanted him more than any other Bilbao player.

That's exactly what I meant.  When I was watching them Llorente didn't make me say "Wish we had him at Liverpool."  Muniain did.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:53 am »
We've definitely made inquiries for Llorente. He seems to have been frozen out by Bielsa, who has decided he will start players who want to stay at Bilbao instead of guys angling for a move, Llorente included.

As for the comparisons with Carroll, they are pretty accurate but not. For one, Llorente is a much smarter player, who makes good runs into the box, is good with the ball at his feet and has great positional sense. He's really good in the air like Carroll, which is where I see the comparisons coming from, but personally, I think Llorente is a much better and a more complete striker than Carroll.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2012, 09:03:54 am »
If there is one player LFC should go for it would be Huntelaar.

If we don't we're very silly.
Huntelaar would be the ideal signing. We probably will go for one of them but it's very unlikely that either would want to sign.

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 1, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 09:43:31 pm »

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »
Huntelaar would be awesome if we could pull it off, not that I expect us to mind. Proven marksmen and certainly was very good friends with Suarez back at Ajax (not sure if they still talk now).

Just on Llorente, him being like Carroll is about as accurate as Carroll being the new Ibrahimovic. Llorente is a much better footballer on all attributes.  He's not really a target man per se,  he can play that way but he can also play deeper in the front line and had done that in the past under Caparros. Best comparison would be to Kanoute when he was at his absolute best, but even then I think Llorente has a better tactical understanding of the game.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
Media in Holland is linking us with the Hunter.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »
Don't guys please... I haven't even seen the lad much but I'm already excitedly tapping out potential line-ups...

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:07 am »
Media in Holland is linking us with the Hunter.

Carriebird on twitter who is a femi-god of Dutch Football said it's likely in summer on a free.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:32 am »
Carriebird on twitter who is a femi-god of Dutch Football said it's likely in summer on a free.

Would it be better to wait until the summer and save on transfer fee and potentially slightly more on wages or try a cheeky bid in January to get him?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:48 am »
I'd buy him in January if it meant getting into the CL, tht would offset any fee paid for him
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:19 am »
Would it be better to wait until the summer and save on transfer fee and potentially slightly more on wages or try a cheeky bid in January to get him?

Depends on the owners. We're all aware we need a forward and I'm Rodgers would want one asap, but whether the owners would submit, I'm not so sure. I hope they do, if Rodgers wants him of course.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 10:07:25 am »
He'd be a fantastic signing.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 10:13:32 am »
I'd buy him in January if it meant getting into the CL, tht would offset any fee paid for him

Truth++

If we're within a couple of wins of 4th in January then we have to go for him then.  It's a brilliant short-term solution. It wouldn't make sense to wait.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 10:18:46 am »
Personally I wouldn't want Llorente even if he fits Rodgers's way. Not giving all in the training because of a row with the manager? Not a good attitude to have in the dressing room. He lets the club down
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:17 am »
Truth++

If we're within a couple of wins of 4th in January then we have to go for him then.  It's a brilliant short-term solution. It wouldn't make sense to wait.

Shouldnt matter where we are in the league - if we are in the hunt for top 4 great lets get him, if we aint still makes sense to get him in Jan, bed him in for the rest of the season and hit the ground running the next season.

I really hope we dont just buy players based on our situation in Jan, we need to look longer term then that.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:30 am »
Shouldnt matter where we are in the league - if we are in the hunt for top 4 great lets get him, if we aint still makes sense to get him in Jan, bed him in for the rest of the season and hit the ground running the next season.

I really hope we dont just buy players based on our situation in Jan, we need to look longer term then that.

I agree but Huntelaar can be the player that can hopefully do both. He's experienced enough and has scored goals wherever he's been (even the limited time at Real Madrid and Milan) and has the added advantage if having played with Suarez before. There's every chance he can hit it off in January and continue over the next few years, even if he'll be 30 soon.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:52 am »
I agree but Huntelaar can be the player that can hopefully do both. He's experienced enough and has scored goals wherever he's been (even the limited time at Real Madrid and Milan) and has the added advantage if having played with Suarez before. There's every chance he can hit it off in January and continue over the next few years, even if he'll be 30 soon.
great thing about Huntelaar is he's never relied on his pace, he'll still be effective in 2/3 years time
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:32 am »
with our 40 million war chest get them both on Jan 1st pleeeeease
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 10:51:05 am »
great thing about Huntelaar is he's never relied on his pace, he'll still be effective in 2/3 years time

I'd go as far as saying players like Huntelaar, and even a midfielder like Sneijder, will still be top contributors in 5 years time. Even for a side like us who's main remit is to sign younger talent it's vital to get experienced heads in at certain positions. Players like the afore mentioned (and Llorente) may not provide any resale but theyre as good for the mid/long term as signing a 25 year old.

Plus we all know if it ain't Dutch it ain't much.  ;)

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:52 am »
Huntelaar would make a lot of sense. It's a shame about his age, I can't see him going on to do a Di Natale or anything but with his style of play, he could well be like Klose, and still scoring a decent amount of goals in 3 or 4 years. Besides, his partnership with Suarez is the stuff of legends now, I'd love to see if they can pick up where they left off.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline iGENIO

• but not genius. Far from it
  • Main Stander
  • #NoMarko
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07:38 am »
They both are not the players that we are looking for. Llorente is a targetman and Huntelaar is a typical #9. Jovetic with his pace and multifunctionality is a better choice. Or Cavani.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:55 am »
Jovetic is supposedly off to City and Cavani's great season a year or two ago seems to have been his peak.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:08 am »
Not mentioning both would cost in excess of 30m, with Cavani more like 50.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:38 am »
They both are not the players that we are looking for. Llorente is a targetman and Huntelaar is a typical #9. Jovetic with his pace and multifunctionality is a better choice. Or Cavani.
Stick to footie man lad. Huntelaar scores goals, we need goals. He's the exact type of player we need.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:58 am »
Thought Hunterlaar finished brilliantly vs Arsenal last week. Never really watched much of him but we need him in January.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:32 am »

Huntelaar is exactly the sort of player we need. The man shits goals

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
Would love Huntelaar and i think he's the best we can get for the next year or two unless we sneaky sneaky into a champs league spot. I don't think there are any more realistic strikers without taking a huge drop in talent. I mean a 29 yr old Huntelaar vs a 22yr old Sturridge. No contest Hunter wins all day.

If we can add Hunterlaar and Walcott in Jan i think a 4th spot push is realisitic if decisions start to go our way

Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:46 am »

There could be some gamesmanship being shown from the club here. If we get Schalke scrambling around at the prospect of losing Huntelaar in the summer, we can lowball them in January.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
Jovetic is supposedly off to City and Cavani's great season a year or two ago seems to have been his peak.

Eight appearances in Serie A this season, six goals.

Eleven appearances in all competitions (including two as a sub), eight goals.

Offline RhosRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
Hunter would be the one for me, out and out goalscorer, exactly what we need!

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 11:34:12 am »
How do you know?
Their ages don't seem to be in the right boxes.
The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline AggerCarra

• Main Stander
  • S E R B I A
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 11:40:09 am »
Top strikers that will prolly move until next summer:

Cavani
Jovetic
Falcao

^ Out of our reach I think.

For our budget more

Llorente (I like)
Huntelaar (top player)

Doubt he will come to us in January Huntelaar I mean, he will prolly still play CL. But Llorente has trouble at club.
Who would be competitor?

Chelseaaaa will go for top act like Falcao, City for Jovetic. United have top strikers. Spurs have no money and no pull to attract. No history. Bayern sorted, PSG sorted...so not much competition. Llorente is good choice for January probable theory. Huntellar maybe in summer but if he plays good season Arsenal bastards could come in to bust up deal.

Oh edit, I forgot old Juve boys. They could cause trouble for our deals!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:42:02 am by AggerCarra »

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:24 am »
I'd love Huntelaar he is a top player. Juve have been sniffing round him though haven't they?

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
Their ages don't seem to be in the right boxes.

Dont think age plays as big a part as people make out. If we were so obsessed with exclusively getting in young blood then why were we interested in Dempsey and Del Piero?