Author Topic: The newbie apple thread  (Read 36055 times)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: The newbie apple thread
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
Now I've seen the instructions, it's pretty simple installing an Application. I'm not 100% confident that deleting it from the Applications folder will take settings and related files, but perhaps Apple software doesn't proliferate dlls in the same way.

I got messenger running fine. I don't know why I pissed about with a third party client first.

Not happy that I can't run the Flash client of ladbrokes poker. It complained about the browser which is odd.

Ephraim and I posted app removing instructions in one of the other threads last night.

The PC nerds posted abuse in response to our helping the guy out. ::)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 06:59:16 pm »
I was in the middle of typing that it appears to be fine, when firefox crashed :(

A crash, on a Mac, don't lie.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 07:07:01 pm »
Ephraim and I posted app removing instructions in one of the other threads last night.

I remembered seeing that and being a tad skeptical to how easy it was. Still it's not beyond the realms of feasabilty that the app clears up after itself.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 07:07:59 pm »
A crash, on a Mac, don't lie.

No, in all honesty it did. If I knew how to take a screen print, I'd have posted it!
The OS stayed up as cleanly as windows does though.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 07:34:54 pm »
I remembered seeing that and being a tad skeptical to how easy it was.

You've had a mac a day...

You should be starting to see just how easy it ALL is pretty soon...

How'd your broadband go? Plug it in and it just worked, straight away, eh? ;)

Screen stuff - for a section apple-shift-4 (this will give you crosshairs to take the section you want) whole screen apple-shift-3

:wave
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 07:41:30 pm »
To be fair all you have to do in XP is plug the cable in.
I haven't invested in a mac keyboard yet. I think the windows key performs the same function so I shall give it a bash later.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 07:50:43 pm »
To be fair all you have to do in XP is plug the cable in.
I haven't invested in a mac keyboard yet. I think the windows key performs the same function so I shall give it a bash later.

LIAR

You need at least a masters degree in computing and 10 years nerding around to do it on a PC.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »
I couldn't see how to get firefox or Safari to fill the screen, and the bottom of the browser always looked 'missing' , like I'd got a windowed view of the browser and dragged the top, so the bottom was off the screen.

I'm an iNewbie too, got my first Mac last Friday and this was something that annoyed me at first. If you haven't figured it out yet, just position the window at the top and drag the bottom right-hand corner to stretch it out and fill the screen.

I have a question of my own which I hope someone can help me with. I want to sync iMail with my Hotmail account. I have gone to File>New Account and entered the necessary details but get stuck at "incoming mail server" - anyone know what I should put in this field?

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2007, 09:52:36 pm »
Hotmail doesn't support Pop3 - For Windows you can get an app called Mr Postman which handles it. For Macs I'm not sure.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2007, 10:11:31 pm »
Hotmail doesn't support Pop3 - For Windows you can get an app called Mr Postman which handles it. For Macs I'm not sure.

You can get hotmail through Mail, but not with intel Macs yet.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060606023130948
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:13 pm »

I just imported mine into Outlook, all I had to supply was the address and password.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2007, 10:40:44 pm »
I just got back from football training and my Mac had locked up :(.

I've rebooted and it seems to be happy again now  ;D

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 10:53:35 pm »
I just imported mine into Outlook, all I had to supply was the address and password.

Dont you have to pay for the priviledge though?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 08:48:32 am »
Nope. It's a pretty old account though, I just use it for signing up usually. Did they change the 'rules' when they expanded storage etc?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:37 am »
Nope. It's a pretty old account though, I just use it for signing up usually. Did they change the 'rules' when they expanded storage etc?

Yep, they allowed older accounts to continue accessing via pop3 without charge.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 08:56:25 am »
Ah, fair enough. I use GMail now anyway and have stuff sent to my home ISP account forwarded to it for storage.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2007, 09:00:05 am »
I still have the hotmail which I access via Thunderbird with the webmail extension. It gets way too much spam to be of much use though.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2007, 09:01:24 am »
Anyone got any spare gmail invites, BTW, my sisters after one.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:34 am »
You don't need invites these days, just sign up through the Google home page.

Your sister's a bit forward isn't she?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 09:08:18 am »

Most people raise their hands to tell the teacher.

Then what did those nasty boys do nidgemo?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 09:14:25 am »
Anyone got any spare gmail invites, BTW, my sisters after one.

Can I sign up without the invitation code? Or without a mobile phone?

Anyone in the world is now welcome to create a Gmail account at http://mail.google.com/mail/signup. Enjoy!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 09:16:22 am »
You don't need invites these days, just sign up through the Google home page.

Your sister's a bit forward isn't she?

Yes. Yes, she is. :D

Can you use the ones at the page armin posted as POP or only for webmail?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 09:28:32 am »
google does pop if you go into your account setting when you set your account up
STFU and agree with me.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:44 pm »
How you finding it after more time paul?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:41 pm »
Well .....
It is easier to use and it would be on right now, even though slower than my PC, but for normal task bearable (and a fraction of the cost of my PC so not an unfair comparison). I much prefer the method for downloading and installing apps. I even found where to set my DNS because my ISP was having problems. I did think the DNS would require a trip to this thread, but it was pretty simple to find.

BUT

to sign up to party poker I have to sell my soul to the devil, give them my phone number and all sorts.

Now we can argue till we are blue in the face about the merits or otherwise of playing poker, but until I can find a solution to the problem the Mac is staying unplugged  :(

ps your comment about brad and the turnips on the rawkdebating thread was brilliant

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2007, 11:42:58 pm »
Paul, for poker, forget the Mac. Seriously. Only 3 sites or so that supoort it. Don't get me wrong i like Macs, but given that webcam use on MSN and poker are two of my main uses of a PC at home it becomes inpracticle to buy one.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2007, 11:43:31 pm »
Well .....
It is easier to use and it would be on right now, even though slower than my PC, but for normal task bearable (and a fraction of the cost of my PC so not an unfair comparison). I much prefer the method for downloading and installing apps. I even found where to set my DNS because my ISP was having problems. I did think the DNS would require a trip to this thread, but it was pretty simple to find.

BUT

to sign up to party poker I have to sell my soul to the devil, give them my phone number and all sorts.

Now we can argue till we are blue in the face about the merits or otherwise of playing poker, but until I can find a solution to the problem the Mac is staying unplugged  :(

ps your comment about brad and the turnips on the rawkdebating thread was brilliant

;D

Sure you can emulate some of the poker sites on a mac.......will see what I can find out Paul

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2007, 11:47:56 pm »
;D

Sure you can emulate some of the poker sites on a mac.......will see what I can find out Paul

Don't worry. I've got some bits and bobs heading my way that may solve the problem. The Mac is too old to attempt to run an emulator on.
I think my situation sums up the 'differences' nicely though. The Mac is a 'better' machine, but because it is still considered by many a 'niche' market then people outside that niche will be better off using PCs.

If someone offered me an intel Mac, that I could run a virtual PC on with native hardware access then I suspect my PC would gather dust very fast.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:24 pm »
Well .....

BUT

Cool, lucky for me i started playing poker online (although not that often) just as i got a mac and the first site i went to was partypoker.com which supported mac. I suppose if you have been using a certain one  for a while it might seen annoying to swap, but its worth it

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2007, 11:49:23 pm »
Tried gettging hold of virtual pc? Will that not allow you to install and run Betfair poker?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 11:49:32 pm »
Cool, lucky for me i started playing poker online (although not that often) just as i got a mac and the first site i went to was partypoker.com which supported mac. I suppose if you have been using a certain one  for a while it might seen annoying to swap, but its worth it
I just really don't fancy giving them my phone number and waiting for them to call me. I think I will take the plunge at some point though.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 11:50:32 pm »
Tried gettging hold of virtual pc? Will that not allow you to install and run Betfair poker?

Ignore that.....anyone know where I can get Virtual PC? Torrents are the best bet I am guessing

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2007, 11:51:14 pm »
Virtual PC is a sack of shite.

*may have a disk image of it somewhere, probably on my faulty Lacie drive though*

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 11:53:15 pm »
Virtual PC is a sack of shite.

*may have a disk image of it somewhere, probably on my faulty Lacie drive though*

However will it do to only run betfair poker?

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 11:55:13 pm »
Trying to get my hand on leopard at the moment, going to try it out booting from an external before i pay up when it comes out

managed to get 3.2gb of 5.1 so far

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2007, 11:56:42 pm »
Virtual PC is a godsend for me at work. Although that's on an intel box  ;D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2007, 11:57:55 pm »
Trying to get my hand on leopard at the moment, going to try it out booting from an external before i pay up when it comes out

managed to get 3.2gb of 5.1 so far

Fancy sending it on when you get it? ;)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2007, 11:58:58 pm »
Virtual PC is a godsend for me at work. Although that's on an intel box  ;D

In all fairness that is basically an admittance that you shouldn't have Macs at work.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2007, 11:59:18 pm »
Fancy sending it on when you get it? ;)

Could bang it on a disk no problem, just taking a fucking age!

Carn't seem to get over 20kbps. Might turn out to be a fake ;D Past the half way point so no going back now though

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 12:03:47 am »
In all fairness that is basically an admittance that you shouldn't have Macs at work.

It's not a Mac. It's Windows running on a Windows PC  ;D