Author Topic: Redundancy and Job Hunting  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
Redundancy and Job Hunting
« on: July 8, 2023, 03:44:39 pm »
Had a first meeting in the week about this, having been told I'm at risk of it happening.

Having been at the same place for so long (15+ years), my general thinking is to take the redundancy and take a breath for a week or so, but make sure that I have a few fires burning prior to leaving - so I don't get used to being away from work and (touchwood) go into my redundancy cash.

What I am asking, is considering this is my first such redundancy - I'm wondering what others who have been through this did or would suggest?
« Last Edit: July 8, 2023, 03:48:20 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Redundancy and Job Hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2023, 04:42:45 pm »
Bobbie been through redundancy several times over the years and if I was you take a step back.

Decide what you want to do next and start looking when you are ready.

Every time after my redundancies I found work when I was ready often going off in a different direction to previous employment.

If you want work you will find it.

Good luck.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2023, 05:50:01 pm »
I chose to take redundancy back in 2011, wanted out anyway so was the kick up the arse I needed with a soft landing. Was straight on the job hunt cos like you say, didn't want to get used to not working, luckily had another job within a week so was able to have a relaxed month off in between. Get that CV dusted off and see what's out there, best of luck!

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 02:58:28 pm »
I chose to take redundancy back in 2011, wanted out anyway so was the kick up the arse I needed with a soft landing. Was straight on the job hunt cos like you say, didn't want to get used to not working, luckily had another job within a week so was able to have a relaxed month off in between. Get that CV dusted off and see what's out there, best of luck!

Similar to this - Id got lazy in job and moving somewhere else was only ever for the same money so wasnt worth the risk it would be any better\worse. Mine was about 10 years ago and in July so found the job market very slow but picked up in September as people couldnt get stuff setup like interviews etc.

Defo best thing that happened to me despite having a 6 month old at the time its worked out for best and I've moved around loads of times since rather than being in same company for 10 years.

Find out your rights and details of contract - I was put on immediate gardening leave whilst in the consultation period which was about 10 weeks so was getting paid and looking for work just couldnt work for them and HR said there might be a chance of getting something else in company but that was never realistic. So once you work out what the package is make plans on the back of that - more recently was out of work the first 5 months of covid so its amazing how far your money doesnt go as well so try not to take too much time off but just dont focus all your time on finding something new as something will come up before you know it

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 03:59:43 pm »
Been through it a few times. Was absolutely HUGE at the time and still remember it but it eventually just becomes history

I'd say keep one eye on the future no matter what particular bullshit this period throws at you. Redundancy is a pain but I would suggest to take it for what it is: it's not a comment on you, your skills, or performance.

Go where you are gonna be treated like you deserve. Best of luck mate. This is your chance to find the next job.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 06:00:44 pm »
Got redundancy confirmed this Wednesday just gone, final day is this coming Friday.

Have sorted a few interviews off the back of doing my CV, first one is tomorrow - in a completely different field, but am confident that I can utilise my services experience to get it, and then got another one with an different insurer just over a week away.

I was going to take my time to get the next job, but thought fuck it, lets get the next one lined up - at least at that point I can put the redundancy money towards something more beneficial than living expenses for the next five or six months.

Got to be honest with you all though, I'm nervous about the end - its been such a massive chunk of my life, and is part of my identity - it might be for the best - I just don't know!

Cheers for all the tips!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 06:10:01 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 02:49:32 pm »
Got redundancy confirmed this Wednesday just gone, final day is this coming Friday.

Have sorted a few interviews off the back of doing my CV, first one is tomorrow - in a completely different field, but am confident that I can utilise my services experience to get it, and then got another one with an different insurer just over a week away.

I was going to take my time to get the next job, but thought fuck it, lets get the next one lined up - at least at that point I can put the redundancy money towards something more beneficial than living expenses for the next five or six months.

Got to be honest with you all though, I'm nervous about the end - its been such a massive chunk of my life, and is part of my identity - it might be for the best - I just don't know!

Cheers for all the tips!

That's perfectly natural mate, and I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Endings and beginnings always make me nervous too.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 03:11:39 pm »
If you're in a "career position" and you're employable, redundancy is a good opportunity IMO.

It's happened to me twice. Both times I started a new job within a week of the previous one finishing and pocketed the severance.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 05:09:36 pm »
Hi

Not been made redundant. Worse I guess.

Going out there and going to look for work, first time in 18 years.

Been running a group of property developers construction company. Do everything from answer lender questionnaires, arrange the design team and run the sites to completion. All via my consultancy company.

Not been paid 6 months and held out due to them selling some of their properties but the useless fuckers have been lazy and those properties have gone into receivership.

So, I'm fucked, especially as I’m in the middle of my house extension and renovation.

Would like to ask where would be best for me to work on my CV and cover letter, and I can find a load of construction agencies in London.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 08:48:24 am »
I've applied for a part time admin job at a local community woodland group and it sounds great. 

I just hope they can overlook that I've not had an admin role for 20+ years 🫣

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 09:31:29 am »
I've applied for a part time admin job at a local community woodland group and it sounds great. 

I just hope they can overlook that I've not had an admin role for 20+ years 🫣

Morning, if you need to apply for anything again, extenuate the admin you currently do, ordering stock, deal with suppliers etc.
Good luck
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 09:34:43 am »
Hi

Not been made redundant. Worse I guess.

Going out there and going to look for work, first time in 18 years.

Been running a group of property developers construction company. Do everything from answer lender questionnaires, arrange the design team and run the sites to completion. All via my consultancy company.

Not been paid 6 months and held out due to them selling some of their properties but the useless fuckers have been lazy and those properties have gone into receivership.

So, I'm fucked, especially as I’m in the middle of my house extension and renovation.

Would like to ask where would be best for me to work on my CV and cover letter, and I can find a load of construction agencies in London.

If you go down the agency route register with one first and tell them you are only registered with them, make sure they tell you where your CV has gone.  Then increase who you register with over the weeks.

Linkedin should give you a list of competitors and relevant companies to apply too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 09:38:38 am by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 10:36:27 am »
Morning, if you need to apply for anything again, extenuate the admin you currently do, ordering stock, deal with suppliers etc.
Good luck

I've added as much as possible and embellished a bit ☺️ thanks mate 👍

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 10:38:25 am »
I've added as much as possible and embellished a bit ☺️

;)  Good luck