Author Topic: Brighton & Hove Albion  (Read 22860 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Brighton & Hove Albion
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:54:32 am »

The Falmer Stadium, currently known for sponsorship purposes as the American Express Community Stadium, or simply The Amex Stadium

The only Premier League ground for the upcoming 2017/2018 season I've not been to, but hoping that will change this year.

LFC travel there on the first weekend in December this year, and while not the sunny seaside trip we would have liked, it should still be good as the game is close(ish) to Xmas.

I believe we last played them away  in September 2011 so there will be lots of RAWKites who are familiar with the ground and location. 

SO...Any tips for boozing around the ground or any other helpful stuff stick it in this thread :wave
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:57:45 am by Buck Pete »

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Re: Brighton & Hove Albion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:12:38 am »
Falmer train station is right next to the ground but it's very small and probably not much fun after the match. Don't think there are any decent pubs by the ground so will probably have to drink in the city then head over after

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:49 am »
The ground is a train ride away from actual main Brighton station. So leave plenty of time if you have beers down by the beach as its a 10/15/20 minute walk from the beach to the main station depending how fast you walk (but all uphill from beach -> station whereas it's down hill from station -> beach).

There is a great boozer and the supporters club situated at it which is The King and Queen which is a 5 minute walk from the main station. That pub has now been selected as the away pub by the police I believe as it is very big. Big enough in fact for a decent sing song I'd imagine if enough reds are up for that sort of thing.

Fairly expensive pint in the main areas, similar to London I've found, but there should be a few student boozers around as well.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:17:19 am »
The ground is a train ride away from actual main Brighton station. So leave plenty of time if you have beers down by the beach as its a 10/15/20 minute walk from the beach to the main station depending how fast you walk (but all uphill from beach -> station whereas it's down hill from station -> beach).

There is a great boozer and the supporters club situated at it which is The King and Queen which is a 5 minute walk from the main station. That pub has now been selected as the away pub by the police I believe as it is very big. Big enough in fact for a decent sing song I'd imagine if enough reds are up for that sort of thing.

Fairly expensive pint in the main areas, similar to London I've found, but there should be a few student boozers around as well.

Beach in Decemeber!? Steady on

Offline kalle-anka

• Dönĺld Dükk!!!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS member 6912
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:26:45 am »

Was just thinking the same.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:27:55 pm »
The train is a nightmare, massive London-like queues after games. There is a Park & Ride though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:29:54 pm »
Was just thinking the same.
;D

Was thinking if people wanted beers down there or wanted to go on the pier, my brother lived there for a bit so I'm not arsed about any of that. Was only offering up the information if people don't know the area.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline chrissimpson81

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2017, 05:22:38 pm »
When we played there in 2011. They had the bars open in the away end after the game so had a pint to wait for train queue to die down

Offline King Kenny Play

• Legacy Fan
  • "Oh Istanbul is wonderful,oh Istanbul is wonderful
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »
Falmer train station is right next to the ground but it's very small and probably not much fun after the match. Don't think there are any decent pubs by the ground so will probably have to drink in the city then head over after
Head for Lewes for a load of good pubs to drink in...then 10mins on train to Falmer!!
"The people who come to watch us play, who love the team and regard it as part of their lives, would never appreciate Liverpool having a huge balance in the bank. They want every asset we possess to be wearing a red shirt."

‘Football is like a piano. You need eight people to carry it, and three people to play the damn thing!’

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:09 pm »
Official:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/siteassets/pdfs/away-fan-guide-201718-full-july17---final.pdf

It means exactly what it says, and is comprehensive enough.

If fans go not arrive at Brighton station at least an hour before KO and join the queue they will miss the start.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:01:48 pm by Perseus »

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »
Ye Old King and Queen in town is the Sussex LFC Supporters Club pub so there will be loads of reds in there. It’s a 10 min walk from the main train station in Brighton.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:05 pm »
Official:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/siteassets/pdfs/away-fan-guide-201718-full-july17---final.pdf

It means exactly what it says, and is comprehensive enough.

If fans go not arrive at Brighton station at least an hour before KO and join the queue they will miss the start.

Brilliant thanks for this mate

We've booked a hotel in Crawley for the Saturday night as Brighton prices were fucking extortionate.

So parking at Haywards Heath (between Crawley and Brighton) and getting the train to Falmer station via Lewes.  Only takes 30 mins or so.

Falmer station is right outside the ground too. :)

The guide says all public transport within the zone is free with your match ticket. Happy days.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2017, 04:25:31 am »
Brilliant thanks for this mate

So parking at Haywards Heath (between Crawley and Brighton) and getting the train to Falmer station via Lewes.  Only takes 30 mins or so.

Falmer station is right outside the ground too. :)

The guide says all public transport within the zone is free with your match ticket. Happy days.

Don't believe the train times.  Add on a minimum of one hour 15 minutes minimum to the published times.

That means arriving at Brighton station at 1:45 pm at the latest. 

Hayward's Heath train means changing at Lewes.  I just do not know how reliable this route is?  The shuttle trains from Lewes to Falmer and from Brighton to Falmer should run OK but the connecting services are unreliable.

Conventional wisdom is to park at Lewes station car park early.

Haywards Heath 1:06 pm to Lewes is the only safe train to take. There is a later one at 1:33 pm but if this train goes iffy, you are screwed.

PS: King & Queen to Brighton station is 10 minutes walk on Google maps. It is all uphill and could take nearer half an hour.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2017, 08:28:14 am »
Unless Southwestern trains are totally and utterly inadequate we should be ok. There are tons of trains from Haywards Heath to Lewes on Saturday and it takes 18m.  Then the shuttle runs from Lewes to Falmer every 7 minutes.

Agree that the 1:06 from Haywards Heath is the last train to get us safely to the ground in time for KO as the next one is 14:06 and that's then cutting it fine.  Hopefully be there around midday anyway.

Will take my chances with Haywards and if there are problems we will just drive down to Lewes and park there. 6 quid to park on the station so no issues.

Cheers for the info.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2017, 11:27:34 am »

Don't believe the train times.  Add on a minimum of one hour 15 minutes minimum to the published times.

That means arriving at Brighton station at 1:45 pm at the latest. 

PS: King & Queen to Brighton station is 10 minutes walk on Google maps. It is all uphill and could take nearer half an hour.
Apologies but I'm confused - there are scheduled trains from Brighton to Falmer leaving every 10 mins on a Saturday and they take between 6mins and 9 mins to get there. Are you saying these trains will take 1hr 25mins instead of 10 mins to get there???

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
« Reply #15 on: December 1, 2017, 12:11:05 pm »
Apologies but I'm confused - there are scheduled trains from Brighton to Falmer leaving every 10 mins on a Saturday and they take between 6mins and 9 mins to get there. Are you saying these trains will take 1hr 25mins instead of 10 mins to get there???

You may not be the only person intending to travel on these trains - I assume the added time is for queuing?
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 1, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
You may not be the only person intending to travel on these trains - I assume the added time is for queuing?
Seems excessive to me

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: December 1, 2017, 09:36:01 pm »
Seems excessive to me

Brighton Station to Falmer (on a good day)

45 minutes queuing
5 minutes train being late/ adding extra carriages etc.
5 minutes ramming the "passengers" on to the train
10 minutes travel
10 minutes walking and getting to seat

Four 8 carriage trains run an hour each way between Lewes and Brighton via Falmer on the way in.

This is because Southern Rail have been running  a restricted timetable for about three years now blamed on industrial action.
"Totally and utterly inadequate" is the polite term for their usual service.

Hundreds of fans missed a large slice of the first half against Everton and all matches in 2017.

When connecting services are late or are cancelled (often as not) even arriving at Brighton station 90 minutes before KO meant a rush to get in before KO (e.g. v Stoke & Palace for evening games).

Offline nickyd186

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 1, 2017, 09:56:05 pm »
Brighton Station to Falmer (on a good day)

45 minutes queuing
5 minutes train being late/ adding extra carriages etc.
5 minutes ramming the "passengers" on to the train
10 minutes travel
10 minutes walking and getting to seat

Four 8 carriage trains run an hour each way between Lewes and Brighton via Falmer on the way in.

This is because Southern Rail have been running  a restricted timetable for about three years now blamed on industrial action.
"Totally and utterly inadequate" is the polite term for their usual service.

Hundreds of fans missed a large slice of the first half against Everton and all matches in 2017.

When connecting services are late or are cancelled (often as not) even arriving at Brighton station 90 minutes before KO meant a rush to get in before KO (e.g. v Stoke & Palace for evening games).

is it best queing for lewes and then getting a train from there to  Hayward heath to get back into London or go back into Brighton?
What we achieve in life, echos in eternity

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2017, 12:50:38 am »
is it best queing for lewes and then getting a train from there to  Hayward heath to get back into London or go back into Brighton?

Queues are very much less at Lewes.

But there are less connecting trains (London to Lewes), so if one goes screwball, there are less alternatives.

I would check that the London to Lewes trains are running properly. Victoria 12:17 pm to Lewes.

I would go via Lewes and only go via Brighton if the Lewes trains are up the swanny. Aim to arrive just before 2 rather than 3.

« Last Edit: December 2, 2017, 01:51:54 am by Perseus »

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2017, 10:57:20 am »
Thanks for the update Perseus - think we’ll get to Brighton station at 1.30

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 5, 2017, 01:37:19 pm »
When we played there in 2011. They had the bars open in the away end after the game so had a pint to wait for train queue to die down

Just for information and if Brighton say up. This was the same this year.  The concourse after the game was great fun, loads of beer flowing and songs galore

The Gary Macca song was ace.

fair play BHA. :)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22 on: December 5, 2017, 09:01:35 pm »
Just for information and if Brighton say up. This was the same this year.  The concourse after the game was great fun, loads of beer flowing and songs galore

The Gary Macca song was ace.

fair play BHA. :)

Yeah, wasn't expecting this at all as I didn't realise they did it, what a pleasant surprise, never seen a club open its bars again after the final whistle and actually welcome people to stay! Stayed for a couple of drinks and watched a bit of the Arsenal v Man Utd match before we went for our train, much more relaxed than queuing for the train in the freezing cold for ages. Great idea by Brighton this, the stewards were all dead relaxed and friendly too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: December 8, 2017, 04:28:26 pm »
Thanks for the update Perseus - think we’ll get to Brighton station at 1.30
]

Trains worked better than usual. Not always the case.

Offline Christy Phelan

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 04:44:52 pm »
I was just wondering what it's like getting back to Brighton after games?  Have a flight to catch from Gatwick at 7.55pm.  Thanks.

Offline Brightonscouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Go on, you know you wanna
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2023, 09:10:35 am »
I was just wondering what it's like getting back to Brighton after games?  Have a flight to catch from Gatwick at 7.55pm.  Thanks.

Go to Lewes, then Hayward Heath then from there to Gatwick. Changes granted but 5 pm trying to get back into town to get out again sharpish, you’d be cutting it too fine
"Mind, I've been here during the bad times. One year we came second"... Bob Paisley

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2023, 07:35:43 pm »
That queueing system for the train back into Brighton is a serious accident waiting to happen.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 08:27:17 am »
That queueing system for the train back into Brighton is a serious accident waiting to happen.
Its why we always stay until the bars shut, barely any queue then normally.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2023, 10:05:04 am »
I walked a bit past the university and got the 49 bus. Got back into the centre of Brighton for just after 4pm.